1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 21:9

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by thechippy, Jun 18, 2009.

1. davidcharles

davidcharles Member

Ratings:
    +103
    damn..this thread is getting depressing more and more :( ...that tv is just awesome........i thought auto contrast on mine was clever ( darkens picture slightly in dark rooms) but this ambilight gubbings is clever.....

not sure my missus will let me spend £4,500 on a tv tho.....:nono:
  2. thechippy

thechippy Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Always worth asking. Just tell her it is £500 they never know anyway... :D

Where do you live? You can come round here and watch a film if you want, I only charge a small fee :rotfl:
  3. davidcharles

davidcharles Member

Ratings:
    +103
    ..unfortunately , due to me constantly blabbing about HD, 1080p, exact scan, prices, HDMI etc etc etc , she's on the ball with the prices of these things... damn...

...would a few beers count as currency???....if so , i might be round at 8pm to watch a sky movie in HD...:thumbsup:
  4. thechippy

thechippy Member

Ratings:
    +24
    I must be lucky with my missus as she just ignores everything I say now about cars and AV stuff, thinking about it, it's most things now, am I just generally boring...

Hey ho, works for me :D Everyones a winner, she doesn't even bither arguing any more :thumbsup:
  5. ^TANK^

^TANK^ Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Lovely looking TV thechippy, those Wall E screen shots looked excellent!:cool:
  6. thechippy

thechippy Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Thanks Tank, it really is an outstanding TV.
  7. thechippy

thechippy Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Sorry Chef, totally forgot :oops: It's a bit dark here now and it is raining ice cubes - seriously!! The biggest hail stones I have ever seen, really are the size of ice cubes :eek:

Will get the pics for you tomorrow in better light conditions...
  8. supermees

supermees Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Wow...this is something...philips has done a great job:thumbsup:
    I just can´t imagine how 3D movies would look like on this screen, example My Bloody Valentine 3D
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2009
  9. YellowSphere

YellowSphere Active Member

Ratings:
    +487
    Well, that's not a scope film, so it would look like it does on a normal 46-47" LCD ;)
  10. ilise

ilise Member

Ratings:
    +21
    I got mine yesterday,
    I have put it on table though.
    The picture is fantastic.
    Black levels are excellent.
    What surprised me was the change in the menu appearance as well as the mix white-blue colors describing the source. For instance EXT1 or HDMI1 color, when changing sources, appears to be white along with blueish corners. A pleasant surprise.
    Dear friend I would like to ask you this.
    Have you noticed that when Mpeg correction is set to on then the outcome picture becomes softer or do I need to get my eyes checked?
    My settings in which I find the best possible picture are,
    CONTRAST --85
    BRIGHTNESS--50
    SHARPNESS--7
    COLOR--60
    TINT - NORMAL
    PERFECT HD ENGINE SETTINGS
    HD NATURAL MOTION - MEDIUM
    200HZ -- ON
    MPEG ARTIFACT CORRECTION -- ON
    DIGITAL NOISE REDUCTION - SOFT OR MEDIUM
    PERFECT CONTRAST-- ON
    PERFECT COLOR--ON
    LIGHT SENSOR ON (I find here that the tv deals with the room lighting exceptionally good without any color distortion.
    Did not find any jaggies or difficulties in camera paning so far,
    Overall it is a fantastic telly with a superb PQ.
    Nick
  11. cheshire1

cheshire1 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Just read the WHATHIFI review. 3 out of 5 stars. It said it looked spectacular but hadn’t been thought through properly.
    I think the main points were that 16:9 looked silly over stretched and was best with huge black bars. Subtitles were missing and worst of all it apparently crop 2:35:1 images at the sides (it said about a cm each side) so they couldn’t recommend it at the price......
  12. cheshire1

cheshire1 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    it wasnt online. I subscribe and it hit the mat this morning. Made the front cover. I was hoping for 5 stars- but 3 ? I know reviews are subjective but it was not what i was expecting. It wasnt totally negative- but they though it would annoy potential buyers that even 2:35:1 had some information missing from the sides. I suppose it will.
  13. Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo Member

Ratings:
    +44
    If it was a Sony, it'd have gotten 5 stars!;)
  14. cheshire1

cheshire1 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    strangely enough- most philips tvs in what hifi have received 5 stars of late- beating sonys!

the magazine article was 2 pages. should be in the shops by saturday. checked again last night. it said approx 2cm of information cropped from BOTH sides with 2:35:1 material and 16:9 movies were "seriously cropped" if expanded to fill the screen.
  15. Marlboro88

Marlboro88 Member

Ratings:
    +27
    this tv aint about scoring 5star reviews or adhering to industrial standards, discussion of image cropping, technical details etc. is about the feel you get when you actually own 1 and watching tv, disc on it. Is the feel, the X-Factor. its a combination of ambilight, the 21:9 cinema screen, many factors that reading on paper can never explain.

ask any owner their opinion. im sure they wont switch it for anything else once they owned this telly.

cheers.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Chef

Chef Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  17. cheshire1

cheshire1 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    style over substance everytime then ? I must admit i saw one last saturday in manchester and it did look good- if a bit "bling" for my taste. too many compromises for me i think. will be interesting to see how well they sell. wouldnt min one in the bedroom if the price drops a bit.......
  18. cheshire1

cheshire1 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    oh dear. if 50 cent is promoting this tv- then its even more bling than id feared.....perhaps they will do a gold version- with diamonds....:)
  19. Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo Member

Ratings:
    +44
    Jaysus, what shop was that? Online?
  20. Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo Member

Ratings:
    +44
    Damn and blast! Maybe they have a website?!

As an aside, was just on amazon.co.uk there, and they seem to have a few wall mounting brackets reduced for the 21:9.

I know it's probably jumping the gun a bit getting the bracket before the tv, but in these economix times....;)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  21. Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo Member

Ratings:
    +44
    When you insert your hyperlink, the text to be displayed on the forum is automatically highlighted. Replace this text (the text between the "]" and the "]") with whatever you want, and away you go.

Like this....Chef's Dutch Website

Edit: You managed to get them to drop by nearly €700? Well done that man. Now if you could only find out how much it is to UPS it to Ireland, I'll send you the money! :D
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  22. Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo Member

Ratings:
    +44
    When you click the "insert hyperlink" button, the little window with http:// appears. It's here that you paste the link, which you've already done.
    Once you click OK, a load of text appears in the reply window, starting with http. That http is the beginning of the text to be displayed. Or to put it another way, the ] is the end of the link you want to post, and the beginning of the text to be displayed. Everything from that ] to is the text that's going to display on the forum. Delete what's there, type in what you want (without removing any [ or ]), and click submit. Hopefully that should work
  23. DLoop

DLoop Member

Ratings:
    +47
    The TV comes with a wall bracket in the box. Its the ped you have to buy separately (if required).
  24. MoFoHo

MoFoHo Member

Ratings:
    +150
    So can any owners confirm if this TV can perform 1:1 pixel mapping (no scaling) in 1.85:1 mode? (for example watching Bolt on Blu-ray) A quick test would be the video set-up page found on any Disney Pixar disc, there is a page that shows (I think) 3 rectangles. The last of which extends to very periphery of the 1920 x 1080 image. If the Philips 21:9 doesnt perform overscan on a native 1920 x 1080 image, this rectangle should be visible.

Steve.
  25. thechippy

thechippy Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Hi Steve,

Bolt is Disney but not Pixar, but that is beside the point...!
    The answer to your question is that if the TV is set to "Unscaled" then yes, all three boxes appear on the screen.

As for the magazine review, they quote that it looks silly with "huge black bars at the side". If you are watching anything in native 16:9 then you still have an approx 42" screen to watch and in the same breath, when watching a 2.35:1 film on a 16:9 TV there are huge black bars top and bottom but they don't seem to mind those???

This TV gives you the best of both worlds. 16:9 if you want with an approx 42" screen or 21:9 if you want with a 56" screen, I don't really get the issues.
  26. thechippy

thechippy Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Hi Nick,

If you watch the start of Dark Knight as they are getting ready to jump out of the window to zip line across to the other roof top, you can see artifacts appear when their black clothes and the gun thing (?) are in stark contrast to the bright background of the external view. This only shows up in the Perfect Pixel mode but not when it is switched off. These thing really bug me when watching which is why I still cannot make up my mind whether I like that mode or not. Other fast moving objects close to the camera blur, whilst panning shots are as smooth as a cashmir codpiece. It is very frustrating to me.

With respect to the Mpeg correction, I cannot tell the difference in the softness of the picture, so I guess a trip to Specsavers may be on the card for you....!:cool:
  27. MoFoHo

MoFoHo Member

Ratings:
    +150
    Could you possibly post some pictures of a 2.35:1 image that shows subtitles 'spilling' into the black lower band? To show us how the big Philips set copes with this problem?

I've just bought Gran Torino on Blu-ray and on some instances, the subtitles are also displayed in the black band below the film frame (I use a projector, so I hate this!). To me, the only solution to this problem would be to use 16:9 mode (albeit with 1:1 pixel mapping though! :smashin:) and have black bars on all 4 sides of the frame?
  28. LiquidB

LiquidB Member

Ratings:
    +20
    I don't have a picture, but on the 21:9 you can use 'Cinema 21:9 Subtitle' viewmode. It has some distortion, but there are no black bars except for where the subtitle is.
    If you really want to look without black bars, I suggest you buy the Philips Blu-Ray player 9100 series. It allows you to shift the subtitles into the video area and thus look at the fullscreen image with NO blackbars at all!
  29. ilise

ilise Member

Ratings:
    +21
    +1
  30. MoFoHo

MoFoHo Member

Ratings:
    +150
    Right, so the latest Philips BD player has some kind of technology that allows any subtitles that would be displayed in the redundant black bars of a 2.35:1 image to be moved up in to the visible film frame, as it were?