Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 21:9

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by thechippy, Jun 18, 2009.

1. thechippy

thechippy Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Not sure about the answer to that. Give them a call and see if they will deliver? Even if you are far away, I'm sure they will accommodate, maybe a small delivery charge?

I know that in Germany, only 7, yes SEVEN TVs have been sold and they have been out there for a while. I think Wellingtons have already sold more than Germany!!!
  2. thechippy

thechippy Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Very tactfully put YellowSphere!! I'm sure there are and I'm sure they are of great quality. If they are as easy to use as the Bose then that's great too because for me I need it simplified!!!

What you say about the Ambilight is very true. I always thought it to be a ridiculous and pointless addition, more like a gimmick, but it really works!! (I hate being wrong!!!)

More photos coming up!!
  3. thechippy

thechippy Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Here are some shots to show the black bars when 4:3 is shown, then 4:3 blown up to 16:9.

A couple of shots to show the AmbiLight working and also 16:9 - 8 out of 10 Cats, then the same show blown up to 21:9.

Attached Files:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Pecker

Pecker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,634
    Regarding using DVE.

Gary's sig link is a superb tool for setting basic brightness/contrast/colour, etc, and I regularly post a link to people who ask how to set up their system.

However, it has limitations for LCD TVs. You may find that, wherever you try to set contrast, you may find that when using the grey ramps test pattern you can't get the 100% white ramp to disappear no matter where you set the contrast control.

I PMd David Mackenzie (AVF Hardware Reviewer) for a little advice, and here's what he said:

Hope that helps.

Steve W
  5. thechippy

thechippy Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Thanks for the post Pecker.

I did run the DVE disc last night and come across this exact problem.

So far I am set at:

Contrast 75
    Brightness 60
    Colour 65
    Sharpness 0
    Tint - Cool

The picture seems good to me but I am no techno geek like some on here (and I dont mean that in a derogatory way!).

I will be interested when someone who actually knows what they are doing shows me where the settings should be!!
  6. thechippy

thechippy Member

Ratings:
    +24
    The TV has no 4:3 setting!!

I did try to change it on the Sky HD box but it didn't make any difference. I think this is because the outputs only change the ratio through the RF Out outputs. Because Sky HD is out put through the HDMI cable, I dont think this setting changes anything.

BTW there are more pics further up the thread showing 4:3 16:9 and 21:9 and the AmbiLight in darkness.
  7. thechippy

thechippy Member

Ratings:
    +24
  8. jacked

jacked Member

Ratings:
    +249
    I believe Sound & Vision in Bolton have them in stock, they had a launch evening this Thurday.
    56" Philips LCD TVs | Sound & Vision - Delivering A Better Deal
  9. thechippy

thechippy Member

Ratings:
    +24
    I got the new Philips Blu-Ray player with mine for £4500 from Wellingtons Electrical. For a small installation fee they fitted it, wired it and demoed all the aspects too.
  10. MAX1210

MAX1210 Active Member

Ratings:
    +820
    This TV is also on display at Aurac Sound & Vision (not one of the Sound & Vision branches) in Horsham, West Sussex
    One Word = AWESOME!

EDIT - Take it you forgot to photoshop the cables out of the 2nd set of pictures eh?
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2009
  11. Silverblack

Silverblack Active Member

Ratings:
    +434
    hifi confidential also sell the philips 21:9 tv to.
  12. thechippy

thechippy Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Well spotted, 10/10 for that man.

They wanted pics for the website as it was the first to be sold in the UK so I spent a whole two minutes photoshopping them!!

Wires being chopped in tomorrow...
  13. YellowSphere

YellowSphere Active Member

Ratings:
    +487
    Well, any installer worth their salt should make it easy to use. But that's another discussion for another thread :thumbsup:

Thanks for the photos of other content. If I ever did have one of these, I'd want to to preserve the AR of everything (that's the point, as far as I'm concerned). If there's no 4:3 setting on the TV how did you make that channel display 4:3? Are the pillarboxes within the Sky signal?

Also, regarding settings, I find with Philips, you're best off going for Contrast 85, Brightness 50 (though best to set with PLUGE if you can), colour 50, sharpness 0, tint warm, everything else off (though you'll want to experiment with 100/200Hz clear LCD (whichever it is on this) and Natural Motion. I'm not a fan of those on Philips sets, personally.

Tint warm is definitely worth persevering with if you don't like the look of it at first, it gives a much more accurate representation of what you're watching, colours should (and will) look a lot more natural. There's just too much blue in the picture otherwise.
  14. thechippy

thechippy Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Chef,

I will try my best. As I do not subscribe to the Sports package on sky, its a bit hit and miss... I will look out for football on Eurosport. Probably not a bad idea anyway as Eurosport has got a crap picture so it will highlight any wrong doings!!

As I posted earlier, I cannot make the picture 4:3. If the channel is displaying it 4:3 then it will come up as such when I put the TV on 16:9.
    If you know when the football will be on then let me know as I don't have much interest in football!!

I will look out for it and sky+ it when I find it.

Just off to mount the old Pioneer 50" in the bedroom now.... to replace the old 42" Sony SD - Any one need the Sony??? ;)
  15. cooperda

cooperda Member

Ratings:
    +71
  16. thechippy

thechippy Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Hi Chef,

I have put them on the Sky+ to record in SD and HD so I should have some good shots to post. Still not sure whether they will display in 4:3 but if they are I will get pics of 4:3, 16:9 and 21:9 in SD and HD for you see. I will try and get some close up shots too so you can see the difference in PQ.

To add thumbnails, go to the "post reply" page and at the top of the text box there is a little paper clip. Click on this link and it will give you the option to search your computer to upload photos - good luck! What are going to post?
  17. thechippy

thechippy Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Thanks very much, I am chuffed to bits with my new toy!!

Blu Ray really is AMAZING. It is so much better than I thought it was going to be. I was invited to a demo evening and was just blown away by the PQ.

I know there are doubters out there but you really cannot comment on the PQ until you have seen it. I am waiting in anticipation for more reviews, especially from the moderators on this forum, as their reviews of other TV's are very good.

Anyone know when they are going to get the review online?
  18. thechippy

thechippy Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Even the blu ray being native 16:9 and the clever processing in the machine doing the stretching, it really has to be seen to be believed how good the picture really is. Seriously!!

Cant wait for some native 21:9 blu rays, they cant be that far away now???
  19. thechippy

thechippy Member

Ratings:
    +24
    To any mods out there, when is the review coming for this TV please?
  20. YellowSphere

Ratings:
    +487
    They would have to be added into the standard and there would be only be one television supporting them. A more likely possibility is natively anamorphic content, as this would still be 1920x1080, but it would mean that all current Blu-Ray hardware either wouldn't play these discs or would have to receive a serious hardware update.

EDIT: actually, thinking about it, that wouldn't work anyway unless people were using an anamorphic lens as a higher resolution than 1920x1080 isn't supported officially by any equipment, so an anamorphic transfer would have to just be scaled back to how they're already done anyway. So, in other words, hoping for anything is hopeless!

And of course, that wouldn't affect your display at all. 1920x1080 transfers with pillarboxes or letterboxes as necessary will be what Blu-Ray offers for a very long time to come and most likely for as long as its around.
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  21. thechippy

thechippy Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Thanks for the info.

I know when Philips were originally designing this TV they tried to convince a film company to produce at least one film to support this format. How would this work then?

I am not that technically minded so if you could explain in simple terms it would me much appreciated :smashin:
  22. YellowSphere

Ratings:
    +487
    Well, the current HDTV standard is 1920x1080. Everything is built around being made and displayed at this resolution.

Basically, to get the best potential out of the Cinema 21:9, you would need to input a 2560x1080 signal. This isn't a standard resolution by any means. Indeed, there is a very strong possibility that, for this very reason, the Cinema 21:9 wouldn't accept such a signal, even if you managed to find a piece of equipment that could output it.

This is why I have argued that if they wanted to make a screen of this ratio that is best suited to scope Blu-Ray content, the resolution should be 1920x823 (or however it is it works out). Now, this sounds bad because it's "not 1080", however, it means that the content the screen is intended for is displayed without any alteration to its resolution, which is what you want for quality image display. It would of course mean that you would have to alter the resolution of 16:9 high definition content, but I'd consider that a better trade off.

Incidentally, incase you weren't aware, Panasonic have a projector out (the PT-AE3000) which has had a lot of interest thanks to its lens memory function, which means the user can set up different zoom and focus settings for the projector. What this allows you to do is have the projector zoom in when you're watching a 2.35:1 (or similar) movie so that the black bars "zoom off" the edges of your projector screen.

Panasonic have actually argued that this is better than using an anamorphic lens. They back this up because you have to rescale the image before the anamorphic lens can be used on it. Whilst this means you use the whole of the projectors chip (this creates better brightness), rescaling the image will lose detail, though how noticeable it is depends on the various components of the system.

With the Panasonic system, the actual image stays unchanged, you just change the projectors zoom, which is an optical change only, i.e. the image requires no further processing.

It's more indepth than that, obviously, but that's the principle, and it can be applied in a similar way to the Cinema 21:9.
  23. Pecker

Pecker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,634
    At first I thought that was a stupid idea (sorry), but you're right.

If you buy this TV you are, by definition either (A) wanting to weatch more 2.35:1 than 16:9, or (B) a bit mad. If you're watching more 2.35:1 that 16:9 you'd be better off with a display conforming to that format and downscaling the rest, rather than upscaling 2.35:1 to fit.

Steve W
  24. thechippy

thechippy Member

Ratings:
    +24
    I totally agree. I am (A) and (B), but also (C) - a sucker for a new gadget...

For my set up, this TV is just right. I had a 50" Pioneer PDP but to get this picture (21:9) by enlarging the TV I would have to go up 60"-65" which is just too domineering in my size room 24' x 15' - in my opinion.

And without upsetting too many people, unless you have a dedicated cinema room with a fixed screen, I think projectors and drop down screens look a bit tacky. If you do have a dedicated room then it looks awesome and works very well.

I like the look of a good quality TV and so this was a great toy to buy for the moment.... :D .... until something new comes along!
  25. thechippy

thechippy Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Right. Correct me if I'm wrong but Full HD and Blu ray display their images in 1920x1080 pixels. When you watch it on a 16:9 display, then you are getting the correct amount of pixels on the horizontal plane but only a percentage on the vertical plane due to the black bars being coded into the 16:9 picture. So in effect you still are not getting the HD picture?

When shown on a 16:9 screen about 30% is covered by the black barswhich are coded on the disc, therefore the amount of pixels being used to display the actual image is around 600. If the film producers code the blu ray without the bars then it will actually fill the 21:9 perfectly as every pixel will be used to display the actual HD image.

Please help me with this!!
  26. ilise

ilise Member

Ratings:
    +21
    Hello guys,
    I am next in line waiting my 21:9 tv set.
    The main reason i was after this tv set was because of the black bars which I hate the most when I am watching a movie.
    Taking into account skyHD movies as well as blu ray movies i most certainly can tell that more than 50% of them are coded to 2,35:1 aspect ratio.
    My previous tv set a fantastic philips model 52PFL9703H counts only (servixe menu) 149 hours of play life and mainly because of the black bars.
    Now it is my time to take my blood back.
    Will be informing you as soon as I have the tv set at home,:clap:
    Nick
  27. thechippy

thechippy Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Well, from one Nick to another, I can personally say that you will not be disappointed. Where are you getting it from and what deal are you getting? I got a great deal with my suppliers mentioned earlier.
  28. Restorer

Restorer Member

Ratings:
    +122
    Yes you are - it's just that 200 or so of the vertical pixels are black :D. The resolution of the 16:9 display itself is still 1920x1080.
  29. ilise

ilise Member

Ratings:
    +21
    I hope so.
    I am getting my set directly from philips at a price I am not all allowed to say.
    I look forward to watch a movie without any bars on top and bottom of the screen.
    What I am thinking however is how well the tv deals native 16:9 and 4:3 movies.
    Nick
  30. YellowSphere

Ratings:
    +487
    The picture is still HD, no doubt about that.

Also, the vertical resolution becomes around 800-850, depending on the precise ratio of the transfer.

If it is encoded without the black bars it would be what is termed anamorphic. For this to work, the Philips television would have to have the ability to turn an anamorphic transfer into something it can display and, of course, someone would have to create that transfer.

Not only that, but even if the television was made compatible with such pictures in hope of them existing at some point, scaling would still need to happen (this is part of the nature of anamorphic transfers. Check wikipedia for more information). Not only that, but it would impact negatively on the image quality when viewed on a 16:9 display.

There may be a one off, but no more.