Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PHILIPS 2010 - 8605/9705 3D Ready LED TV Series

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Tech Man, Feb 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MAX1210

MAX1210 Active Member

Ratings:
    +826
    Actually no they're not, the 40" is only £100 more and the 46" is the same price
  2. Member 351202

Member 351202 Member

Ratings:
    +163
    Philips TV's are expensive but do seem to get great reviews.

I think you get what you pay for but perhaps with the "3D" side of things they maybe bumping the price up a little :(
  3. albani

albani Member

Ratings:
    +39
    Hi

-Sharp UV2A Module>>>cheap than S_PVA/ASV types of modules,due to different technic production!

-But as it seems that new 8x/9x Series(w/Sharp Module) serious pricey!!

So w'v to wait reviews!

Bye++
  4. bad robot

bad robot Active Member

Ratings:
    +357
    Steep a 32" @ £1400 with no glasses is madness! I thought LG were having a laugh with their aparent prices. This however for the Phillips 32" we can expect £1600+ with 2x pairs of glasses, lol sorry but not a chance of that selling well.

For me it looks like Panasonic is the only brand actually not ripping people off with this 3D. Sorry to bring it up and it maybe isnt the best looking set but the VT25 50" with 2x pairs of glasses for £2000 is a great deal in comparison to some of these LED prices we are seeing. Nothing else seems to be offering a spec/performance and with glasses for that pricepoint.

The more i find out about LED models from Sony, LG, Samsung and these Phillips only seem to offer a 40" for similar money. Panasonic VT25 becomes much more appealing the more I start comparing and it has no crosstalk nor that dimming with glasses if the users head isnt straight.

mmmmmmmmm
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
  5. lar77

lar77 Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Any dates yet for the 8 series to hit shops in UK / Ireland? Still May?
  6. albani

albani Member

Ratings:
    +39
    Hi

Be patient for 3D panels;)

Prices are very high too!!!(not worth at present!!)

Bye+
  7. littlejohn

littlejohn Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Was there ever firm dates for the U.K. release for the new 7/8/9705 series sets to hit the shops or are we just going by the European release dates mentioned at Barcelona. :confused:

I was hoping to get a 9705/46 by August but going by last years models, shall we have to wait for the turn of the year here in the U.K. :(
  8. glenc

glenc Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Philips are appauling at distribution, so I suspect we'll have a long wait and stock will constantly be a problem. I'm going to hold out another month or so to see if firm dates get put in with the retailers, but if nothing is forthcoming I think I'll leave Philips as a "nice products, awful marketing/distribution"
  9. lar77

lar77 Member

Ratings:
    +17
    A couple of shops in Dublin have told me April for 6 & 7 series, May or possibly early June for the 8 series ..... they have no idea when the 9 series will arrive. I'm assuming these are very loose dates :(
  10. next010

next010 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,800
    This swiss price comparison site has the 32" version of the 9705 starting at €1396 euros so expect the larger models to be quite expensive.

The availability says 30 April and has been confirmed by supplier for the swiss at least, other regions who knows when but probably after April.
  11. drake21

drake21 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, I got the 42inch 9000series philips lcd tv, bought it november '09. Was wondering can they make 3D work on my tv because the stats seem to be same as the 3D 8000 series. Bit confused but just love how we get a new tv and new models are out straight away.
  12. ricki

ricki Member

Ratings:
    +25
    hah ha ha ! no mate
  13. glenc

glenc Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Based on the prices of the new 9000 series I've ditched the idea of getting the 2010 range and am now the proud owner of a 42PFL9664 (ie 2009 42" 9000 series) and very happy I am with it.

If the price point were around £1400 Id have considered the 2010 range, but £1900 plus £200-£300 for 3D pack just is beyond what Im willing to pay for a TV
  14. Tech Man

Tech Man Member

Ratings:
    +111
    After doing a bit of digging, looking through the new manual, I have found a dedicated Gamma control for the picture - Finally! But still no dedicated backlight control it seems.
  15. elbutre

elbutre Member

Ratings:
    +1
    this link shows the thickness, it says in the dimensions 66 or 69mm but the full text says 45mm, the 9664 for instance is 50mm so it would only be a little bit thinner

Google Bericht

32 "

Dimensioni (L x A x P): 767 x 490 x 66 mm Dimensions (W x H x D): 767 x 490 x 66 mm
    Dimensioni con stand (A x P): 530 x 260 mm Dimensions with stand (H x D): 530 x 260 mm
    Peso: 16 Kg Weight: 16 kg
    Peso con stand: 17 Kg Weight with stand: 17 kg

40” 40 "

Non disponibili al momento. Not currently available.

46” 46 "

Dimensioni (L x A x P): 1088 x 671 x 69 mm Dimensions (WxHxD): 1088 x 671 x 69 mm
    Dimensioni con stand (A x P): 711 x 280 mm Dimensions with stand (H x D): 711 x 280 mm
    Peso: 23 Kg Weight: 23 Kg
    Peso con stand: 25 Kg Weight with stand: 25 kg

Un'altra caratteristica della Serie 9000 è lo spessore: solo 45 mm per un TV full LED : più di alcuni competitor che usano altre tecnologie LED come il LED Edge, ma ugualmente slim. Another feature of the 9000 Series is the thickness only 45 mm for a full TV LED: more than some competitors that use other technologies such as LED LED Edge, but equally slim
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. lar77

lar77 Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks for that, seems very thick for an edge lit TV ..... was hoping it would be in or around the Samsungs.

EDIT: Looks like the 45mm is for the 9 series, hoping the 8 series is a lot thinner as it's edge lit.
  17. Glendified

Glendified Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Alright everybody, I am just taking all this in account.
    Basically last year I have bought an Philips 8654 42 LCD tv, Although I am more than happy with the purchase I did (which was still with an LG screen ;) )I am kind of bummed about the fact that now everything which I coming out seems to be 3D related.

Like with HD -ready I now see 3D-Ready.. so should I be seeing in a same matter? And since Sony brought out that they will be updating the PS3 which I have, should I now consider selling my tv and go for the 3D.

And what will the price tags be on these machines?

my brain is making overtime... decisions decisions!

Anyway, what do you guys think?

Cheers
  18. xtr3m3

xtr3m3 Member

Ratings:
    +41
    Are you serious? :devil:
    This new "3D" is not that great. *blurry picture, headaches, dizziness, low framerate*

In a long run your eyes or brain will start to hurt if watching too much 3D-movies. This happens with 2D also, but that's not the case I mean.

I think giving a different picture to each of your eyes is not a good thing in a long run.
    Watching these 3D movies sometimes is ok, but I would recommend to pass.
    If you go with 3D-Ready TV, then I recommend to watch mostly 2D movies and only occasionally some 3D movies.
  19. JonStatt

JonStatt Active Member

Ratings:
    +436
    I regularly play games on my nVidia 3D set-up. Remember the refresh rates are 100-120Hz. There is no flicker, no frame rate issues (with a good graphics card), no bluriness and NO headaches!

This isn't like the Sega master system days where you could get those shutter glasses that worked at 50Hz. That did have noticeable flicker and could cause headaches etc.

Technology has improved. The 3D quality will be just as good as the cinema. BUT the 3D effect will be vastly inferior to the cinema simply because of the level of immersion as a result of screen size and viewing distance.
  20. xtr3m3

xtr3m3 Member

Ratings:
    +41
    Is it 120 Hz per eye or 60/60Hz?
    You said there is no flicker.. that depends on you. Some people see it and it disturbs. Also that blurring is a problem with some of us. Others don't see it obviously.

Technology has been improved for sure, but we are not there yet. :)
    In my opinnion that 3D quality in cinemas is terrible. I have visited different cinemas and the situation is the same (too low resolution, too low refresh rate, etc). Only 2D computer screens for example gives sharp image to me. Some ppl wont even recognize black and white movies from color movies, it really depends on you. :D But of course this 3D thing is not so clear case as that.

That 3D effect in cinemas is not good to me. I hardly see any. :(
  21. lewisstorer

lewisstorer Member

Ratings:
    +9
    i think its very overrated tbh. at least for now. Why do i want to sit around at home wearing those crappy harry hill glasses trying to view things in 3D. I think its still at the novelty stage and i dont see it taking off anytime soon. Also i do believe that subjecting your brain and eyes to this sort of digital trickery for long period of time is nothing but harmfull. So why do i want all that for the privallage of paying £2500??. especially when i only got my 47' inch 8000 series in december just gone(xmas prezzie to myself lol). I will only get this 3D technology when A - its gone down in price.............B. when you can get the same effect without having to wear them glasses................and C. when ive had my new tv for 5 years
  22. next010

next010 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,800
    Also from what I've read a PC uses brute force approach (renders everything twice) - great if you've got a good graphics card.

But with a game console which is what most people will end up using they have to use other tricks to get the 3D affect as they simply dont have the horsepower to brute force it. It remains to be seen just how well it will be pulled off with various titles not all games benefit and even those that do have mixed results from previews.

Glendified I'd let others be the guinea pigs before pulling the trigger.
  23. Glendified

Glendified Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah that is probably what is bound to happen here... I'll just let it get to its full potential.. right now im set with the 42 inch I have which I am very happy with!

like with HD it will probably still need some time to grow!
  24. JonStatt

JonStatt Active Member

Ratings:
    +436
    It is important to understand that 3D perception comes from 2 stimuli, 3D vision, and real world object size.

1) Your knowledge about the real world size of objects that is built up as a database in our brains since birth. People with only one eye can adjust and not bump into everything because they are aware of object sizes in the real world. But you can really confuse people with a tiny table and a huge chair as seen at some fun exhibits and museums.

2) You have two well functioning eyes that see at slightly different angles so that your brain can construct the two images into a 3D image. This particularly helps when you see a new object for the first time.

Now here is the killer. When watching TV/cinema etc, objects are rarely at their real world size. So you lose option 1. This means you depend purely on option 2. But if one eye is weaker than the other (common), or your brain just isn't wired well to construct 3D images using both eyes (also common), then the 3D effect is severely muted.

This is one reason why some people go wow, and others go "so what"!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  25. JonStatt

JonStatt Active Member

Ratings:
    +436
    I should add...that you can construct a 3D image with one eye also if you can walk around an object or simulate the effect of doing so. For an example of the latter, I don't know how many people have seen the Wii remote strapped to your head video on YouTube. Have a look here

YouTube - Head Tracking for Desktop VR Displays using the WiiRemote

Right click on the video and choose watch in YouTube if you cant get full screen to work in the embedded window. You will need to allow pop-ups.

It actually will look a bit 3D even on your 2D monitor as a result so do play this if you haven't seen it...but for this to work, you have to keep moving your head which wouldn't be practical for a film! :)

Laser 3D models (where you can walk all the way around it) don't work well as an alternative, because then everything looks like a miniture model (as your brain will relate it to real world image size), at least until they can make them lifesize.
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  26. umutt

umutt Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hi, does anyone know if the new Philips models support DTS audio (especially from the digital coaxial output)?
  27. Tech Man

Tech Man Member

Ratings:
    +111
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  28. sinistro

sinistro Member

Ratings:
    +74
    Nice pics :)

Now only wait when they are for sale and for which prices as the ones I seen did scare me off a bit :eek:

46pfl9705 for 2800 euros and also de 52pfl8605 for 2800 euro, no prices seen yet over any 3D glasses and if they are rechargeable or not and also the 3D receiver price.

The base price for the 46pfl8605 is 2200 euro but I seen the 46C7000 for 1999 already and the 46HX800 seem to have an unbeatable price with 1599,99 pounds ( 1825 euro ) but we have to see for how much that one is coming on the market in the rest of the EU as I seen 2400 euro mentioned there also ( almost 600 euro more then the UK :eek: ).

Reviews we want reviews :)
  29. Member 351202

Member 351202 Member

Ratings:
    +163
    it' all im waiting for as well :)
  30. l33dsl4d

l33dsl4d Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Hello, this is my very first post!....

Watching the developments of the 9705 (40") very closely and have seen elsewhere on the internet that the uv2a panel would only be used in sets produced later in the year (not straight from release). Do we know of any plans by philips to use a different panel then begin to use sharps uv2a later in the year?

Thanks for any replys

Danny
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.