Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

phantom menace in 3D will you be going to watch it?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by shoestring25, Jan 28, 2012.

1. lucasisking

lucasisking Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,156
    hehe.

Destroy the Sith we must
  2. danbrog39

danbrog39 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    NO, Gungans suck! Lucas can poke it, he's had enough of my money!

JAR JAR STINKS !
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  3. TheyCallMeTJ

TheyCallMeTJ Active Member

Ratings:
    +673
    Sigh. OK, that's "No wit":5, "Wit":1.
  4. jalaldevil

jalaldevil Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,030
    The manager told us they've prepared a Star Wars theme clothing for when we're serving tickets for next weeks launch, I told him where he could shove them!

Ain't dressing up as a fool to impress you lot. :laugh:

The advance bookings are pretty good, should manage to do well box office wise during the half term.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Bill Hicks

Bill Hicks Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,485
    did it involve red face paint and a bald cap with fitted plastic horns? :D
  6. bruce-leroy

bruce-leroy Active Member

Ratings:
    +388
    Didn't particularly like the movie, but I would consider taking my son to see it, as I'm sure he'd like that. That said, I would prefer it to be available in 2d rather than 3d. I would definitely see the originals in either D, especially as missed them the last time they were re-released in cinema. I'd want to take my son for the originals without a doubt. :)
  7. Gae

Gae Member

Ratings:
    +39
    I was debating whether or not this is worth watching but after seeing the trailer and hearing all the Jedi council political mumblings again I thought..I really don't want to have to pay to sit through that again. :laugh:

Gae
  8. jalaldevil

jalaldevil Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,030
    Hilarious

9. ozzzy189

ozzzy189 Active Member

Ratings:
    +569
    I wouldn't go for free and if they picked me up in a limo, waited for me and then took me home again, it still wouldn't swing it. Not a 3D fan either tbh.
  10. shoestring25

shoestring25 Active Member

Ratings:
    +179
    when they re release an new hope i will go watch that in 3D
  11. VivaFathom

VivaFathom Member

Ratings:
    +84
    Jar Jar Binks, no
    Pod racing, yes
    Driod battle, no
    Darth Maul fight, yes

Hmmm what pivotal moment can swing the balance?
  12. figrin_dan

figrin_dan Member

Ratings:
    +81
    The best thing is the score and that's already in 3D
  13. bosque

bosque Active Member

Ratings:
    +558
    Does this mean when it makes its way to Blu-Ray that Phantom Menace will finally have a good home video transfer print :)
  14. golden phoenix

golden phoenix Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,371
    i wasnt going to see it, but one of us has to so we can comment on it! i will be the genuiny pig!
  15. Geoff_D

Geoff_D Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,067
    Booked my seat for next Thursday, BFI IMAX. :D
  16. Wayne W

Wayne W Member

Ratings:
    +21
    Are the 'haters' not simply answering the question raised by the op?

For example; No, I'm not going to see this film in 3D as Jar Jar Binks looks like the bloke that ran off with my wife, therefore I hate it!

In fact reading through this thread I do beleive th op is a 'hater'?!
  17. TheyCallMeTJ

Ratings:
    +673
    Yep, absolutely. I am just trying to deter the haters, being the wannabe dictator that I am. However, your pointing out that the op is a TPM hater adds a really funny twist which I failed to notice! So that now increases the tally to

haters with no wit: 6
    haters with wit: 1

:D

I am getting tired of all this patrolling balava, so yep knock yourselves out, haters!

I found this blog from Reelviews to be one of the better laid defences of Lucas . Its nearly as good as Lucasisking posts...nearly!

Reelviews Movie Reviews
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Wayne W

Wayne W Member

Ratings:
    +21
    Cricky that's a lot of text to read before bed! Guess this guy's really keen to defend the actions of the bearded one. Cheers for the link, makes interesting reading.
  19. shoestring25

shoestring25 Active Member

Ratings:
    +179
    we all know that phantom menace is not the best of the the 6 star wars films. alot of people dont even like the film. why not 3D a new hope then you would be more likely to get more people into the cinema to watch it.
  20. stument

stument Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,041
    Mild Language

Cant say i enjoyed Phantom Menace, i will watch it in 3D (blu-Ray) just to see if the 3D is any good not because of the actual film
  21. Bill Hicks

Bill Hicks Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,485
  22. MarkusThatch

MarkusThatch Active Member

Ratings:
    +504
    Which magazine was it that used to have the 'interest curve' graphs? If ever a film made me think of those it's TPM. Great star warsy start - uh oh Jar Jar - more star warsy stuff - hmm the kid - more great star warsy stuff - hmm Jar Jar again... etc etc.
  23. lucasisking

lucasisking Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,156
    Total Film.

can't remember how their interest curve went with phantom menace, but i imagine it spiked with podrace/ darth maul
  24. wongataa

wongataa Member

Ratings:
    +195
    None of the films should be put into 3D. Post converted 3D looks terrible and will always look terrible. For a film to be shown in 3D it should be filmed in 3D. Why would I want to ruin my enjoyment of Star Wars (any episode) with a rubbish 3D conversion?

They do actually plan to 3D them all. :(
  25. Geoff_D

Geoff_D Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,067
    Sounds good to me. The review jives with what Lucas recently said about the 3D conversions, that they were going for a general sense of depth rather than blatant 3D effects.
  26. golden phoenix

Ratings:
    +1,371
    to be honest geoff, id prefer that, im looking forward to your review before i go see it...the price of the cinema these days is pretty bad with all the extra payments of glasses, imax 3d etc...

so if i see it, its deffo gonna be a wednesday..ive checked my local and there not showing it imax 3d..probably because there isnt that much interest in it..i only see this as a limited run, surprised he hasn't stuck to his usual May dates...

im i right in thinking there releasing one a year for the next six years?? oh joy... just in time for the next ultra resolution format...what im most interested in, is if they have took their time on this to make it the best that it can be..or just cashed in..thats the million dollar question for me....id like some more background information on the PM process to 3D
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  27. Geoff_D

Geoff_D Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,067
    After they used 8-year-old masters for the OT Blu-rays, do you even have to ask that question? Lucasfilm will apparently be using the existing masters (max. 2K resolution) for the 3D upgrade. When/if the 3D version of Star Wars rolls around in 2015, the master will be approximately 11 years old at that point. Can't wait to see the gloopy Lowry grain in 3D. :mad:

Just as the '97 re-release was the perfect opportunity to restore the original movie, these 3D versions should've been the catalyst for a 4K reworking of the entire saga*, to make sure that A) the original versions of the OT are properly preserved, and B) that all 6 films left aren't behind by future video formats. It would cost many millions of dollars to accomplish, but it's not like Lucas is short of a bob or two.

For a man so outspoken about film preservation, he really doesn't seem to give a toss about his own movies. As long as they exist on a hard drive somewhere, he's good to go.

*Yes, Clones and Sith were shot at 'just' HD resolution, but that sort of clean, crisp material will upscale very nicely to 4K. Clones had no appreciable problems when blown up to 15-perf 70mm IMAX, after all. Re-render the CG stuff, job done.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  28. golden phoenix

Ratings:
    +1,371
    yes youre right geoff it was more of a hope, than anything else, i havent read much in the way of the process to get PM to 3D phantom menance..i should of just realised that george "old masters" lucas ..seems to do the opposite, of what he blurts in terms of restoration and preservation ...

the arguements against lucas in this area whilst justified, now..just makes me shrug my shoulders and sigh, as its so disappointing:( seems odd that a man that was a pioneer at one time, has decided to make idiotic defiant decisions, that neither preserve, restore, futureproof or lead in todays world...a sad legacy to one that was once great
  29. Bill Hicks

Bill Hicks Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,485
    From what I've been reading of late Lucas seems to be just about fed-up with the movie making business. His latest film Red Tails has been slated by critics stateside as being a CGI heavy dose of stale cheese (sound familier?) I dont get Lucas at all. He has the skill, talent & knowledge to produce great films and he has some of the most creative people in the industry working for him but he still pumps out a film like Red Tails that appears to be corny and too old fashioned for todays sophisticated audience. The man comes across as a control freak who has the final say on everything and has little regard for outside creative opinions. Little wonder Lucasfilm is still a limited company.
    Time I think to let go of the reins and let some younger minds run Lucasfilm George.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  30. TheyCallMeTJ

Ratings:
    +673
    Those of you Londoners, like me, who wants to see Phantom Menace on the biggest non Imax screen which is the Supersceen at the O2, should go see it tomorrow because its only showing on that screen for the one day. This is a great screen with comfortable seats (imax waterloo seats are horrible imo). also i always feel Imax screens are best for imax format films. The O2 superscreen is truly enormous.

Those of us with cineworld unlimited only need pay the £1.50 3d surcharge :)

Ill be seeing the midday show wearing a darth maul t shirt ;) really old one too because i bought it before there was even a title for the film so it says just Episode 1!
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2012