1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Petition for Corporal Punishment

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Gary D, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Gary D

Gary D Member

Ratings:
    +830
    A collegue of mine at work has put a petition on to the Prime Ministers website about bringing corporal punishment back for yobs.

I'm not going to get into the rights and wrongs of corporal punishment. Personally i was caned at school and i didn't go onto a life of thuggery. And i'm not suggesting that all kids do, my own children didn't. I have however suffered yobs myself where i live. I'm going to have to pay £500 at the end of the month to have my fencing replaced after they decided to destroy it. My neighbour has spent nearly a grand having his car repaired after having it repeatedly scratched and vandalised.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Birch4thugs/

Gary
  2. Steven

Steven Senior Moderator

Ratings:
    +5,412
    My youngest bro is 12, my other bro is 18 and I myself turned out alright :D

I would only support the petition if the parents of those 'yobs' were also allowed to be caned ;)
  3. frozendexter

frozendexter Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I've signed,

it about time something was done.
  4. williemaykit

williemaykit Member

Ratings:
    +169
    I signed. My view is that not all kids are bad. There are a few that tarnish the public's view for the whole generation.

Whilst I was at school, they outlawed the use of corporal punishment. When it was allowed, kids were kept in line as they knew what would happen if they stepped out of line. I believe the bad few eggs know their rights and will push their luck as far as it can go.
  5. Duncan G

Duncan G Active Member

Ratings:
    +618
    A waste of time. When I was at school the yobs who were caned regulaly did not fear the cane so it had no effect on behaviour.
  6. Gary D

Gary D Member

Ratings:
    +830
    I was caned, slippered and tortured during PE (was there anything more violent that 70's school games master?) The punishment taught me alot.
  7. Setenza

Setenza Member

Ratings:
    +232
    I thought it said "capital" punishment. Not signing now :mad:
  8. madcyril

madcyril Member

Ratings:
    +98
    May be a waste of time,maybe not.Some say 'I wasnt caned and I'm no thug' and others say 'I was and never looked back'.I say it's a mental thing,if a scrote wants to be a scrote nothing will change,he/she will just get worse.If they want to be better people they will be.

And lets not pretend they don't know wrong from right.They do and don't give a toss.
  9. Pat_C

Pat_C Member

Ratings:
    +238
    Isn't there some EC legislation on this sort of thing that would prevent it anyway?

There is still some value in voicing the view that people are tired of the yob culture though.
  10. Phil57

Phil57 Active Member

Ratings:
    +490
    Sorry to say, but such a petition will achieve nothing.
  11. Setenza

Setenza Member

Ratings:
    +232
    How about direct action. All we need is a field to squat in and some wayward children to beat and the problems solved.

Apparently the Police won't get involved?
  12. wack

wack Active Member

Ratings:
    +250
    sounds just like my experience:( my PE teacher also taught english so his grammar was perfect while he was beating the crap out of you
  13. la gran siete

la gran siete Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,312
    Personally i think we shopul;d buy Greenland fronm Denmark and turn into a new penal colony. One thing for sure they will never produce a cricket team that could beat us,
    The petition will be binned as sure as eggs are eggs
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. lisag

lisag Active Member

Ratings:
    +237
    Sheesh, you lot are harsh. No way can physical assault ever be seen as positive - it is a crime.

lisa
  15. Setenza

Setenza Member

Ratings:
    +232
    There can be a logical argument put forward with regard to social conditioning through positive association.

However, if you introduce a moral element into the debate then matters do become more complex.

lisag, what would be your solution to this problem?
  16. RMCF

RMCF Active Member

Ratings:
    +491
    I was the last year at my school to get the leather strap, and most of the people who were at school with me turned out to be good honest people who show respect for others.

Having said that, I think caning thugs at school won't help - you can't beat thuggery out of people and I am sure experts will tell you it only makes things worse. The parents and their raring/breeding has a lot of input into their character.

What I do hate nowadays in this PC world is the reluctance of parents to slap a child. By slap I don't mean 'batter' - I'm not condoning child abuse. But so often now you see spoilt children roaring and screaming in public and the parents either fighting with them or ignoring them, leaving them to annoy others.

A well thought out slap serves a purpose with children I think. Teaches them a bit of discipline.
  17. Setenza

Setenza Member

Ratings:
    +232
    What were those re-education techniques they used in "A Clockwork Orange" called?
  18. lisag

lisag Active Member

Ratings:
    +237
    I don't have the ultimate solution, but as a society we need to be more creative than 'give them the birch'. Physically attacking another person unless in real-time self defense is wrong. And, will not necessarily bring about positive change.

Also, how would you police it..

What if the wrong person was punished?
    How could you monitor the degree of punishment?
    What if they picked up a permanent injury / death?
    Who would give the punishment (a sadist)?

It's wrong, wrong, wrong...
  19. Setenza

Setenza Member

Ratings:
    +232
    Good points. But we can never come up with a solution that is 100% infallible.

So like most of societies laws, we have to compromise.

There are a percentage of people who do not respond to reason and appealing to their better nature.

So it comes down in these instances to deciding who's rights have to suffer. Theirs or the rest of societies?

People who have no moral compass and refuse to consider others will not respond to reason.

But threaten them with a draconian response that will take away their liberty and inflict an unpleasant regime upon them, may have some impact.

The needs of the many out way the needs of the few or the one.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. lisag

lisag Active Member

Ratings:
    +237
    Fair enough, but shouldn't we lock them up rather than beat them up?

Prison is expensive, so curfews, fines, community service, are alternatives.

Maybe we could be more creative though and come up with new methods of removing people's liberties and privileges, maybe for the greater good?
  21. Setenza

Setenza Member

Ratings:
    +232
    Community service leaning more to public works, but not quite as far as chain gangs.
  22. Pat_C

Pat_C Member

Ratings:
    +238
    Only if you break the speed limit driving there.
  23. Pat_C

Pat_C Member

Ratings:
    +238
    I doubt many of today's teachers could multitask so effectively :)
  24. signs

signs Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,306
    not so sure about that, i know of a good few on here that "teach" and play on here at the same time ;):D
  25. Pat_C

Pat_C Member

Ratings:
    +238
    Maybe we should be more creative in considering how we can protect decent, law-abiding people from crime and the yob culture, and perhaps spend a little less time considering the impact on the perpetrators?

And yes, I do understand that for all actions there are reactions, and that we can never isolate ourselves indefinitely from the consequences of any punishment regime. I just believe that our thinking on this warrants a shift of emphasis.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  26. Pat_C

Pat_C Member

Ratings:
    +238
    You mean during the six weeks a year that they have to work? :)
  27. lisag

lisag Active Member

Ratings:
    +237
    Well, yes, but it depends on how you want to spend the public purse. We could stop spending it on imprisoning and punishing offenders, and instead spend it on insurance and compensation for victims... but with no deterrents in place things could get very expensive.

What exactly is 'yob culture'?

lisa
  28. Pat_C

Pat_C Member

Ratings:
    +238
    Yes, I don't doubt that public expenditure is a big factor in this. And it is difficult to gauge how much people are really prepared to pay for a greater sense of safety and security, or which other public spending they would be prepared to see diverted. And yes, deterrents must surely be a part of addressing a social problem with a wide complexity of causes - coupled with the sanctions needed to make them effective.

However, it seems that when people reject corporal punishment in favour of other solutions they tend to talk only in generalisms, and often have no specific alternative suggestions. And whilst generalisms may help to isolate and clarify the areas in which solutions need to be developed, they can offer no more than that.

I guess it means whatever you want it to mean, but we could probably agree on a list of antisocial behaviours without too much difficulty. I'm sure the general gist is widely understood.
  29. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel Active Member

Ratings:
    +699
    The fear of being caned seems to keep the streets clean and safe in countries like Singapore- and that's for adults.
    (remember the Brit in the "chewing gum" case a few years ago).

Chris Muriel, Manchester
  30. BAN5HEE

BAN5HEE Active Member

Ratings:
    +285
    They should bring back corporal and capital punishment. It will relieve our over flowing prisons and act as a better deterent to criminals. I agree with the buying greenland idea :D