1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PCH network browser problems with Windows 7. Cracked it.

Discussion in 'Streamers & Network Media Players' started by dave_bass5, Sep 16, 2009.

1. dave_bass5

dave_bass5 Active Member

Ratings:
    +552
    Just thought i would post this as im sure at some point it will help someone.
    Since going over to W7 (yeah i know its not out yet) ive not had many issues but recently the network browser has stopped working. In the pas ti put this down to Eset and it was indeed that but since that was fixed i noticed a few time that my A100 couldn't browse ANY PC running W7 all of a sudden. I could still connect via the SMB shares already set up so i knew my connections were fine.

Anyway, it turns out that both PC's had downloaded Windows Live ID sign in app. This seems to be part of the live essentials suite and runs in the background. No idea what it does but this si the second time ive had to take it off.
    Its this that is stopping the A100 browsing my PC's and once i removed it all was back to how it should be on both PC's.
    Im sure this will catch some people out come Oct so thought i would post about it now. Sorry if its already been mentioned but i couldn't find the answer when i needed it a while ago.
  2. next010

next010 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,729
    You mean the Windows Live Sign-in Assistant thats an IE plugin/toolbar odd that it would be conflicting with the PCH.

Edit: Update to an old post, this turned out to be a bug in the Samba software which is an open source implementation of Microsoft's SMB network protocol, in order for the bug to be fixed the vendor must update their build of Samba to a version with the fix. If they haven't done that then you must uninstall the sign in assistant as it conflicts with Samba.
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  3. dave_bass5

dave_bass5 Active Member

Ratings:
    +552
    Yes, that's the one.
    Its only stopping the Network browse function but yes, its definitely a problem.
    At least, it is on my two PC's and Netbook, all running W7.

I was getting the no content found error on all three machines last night until i removed the Assistant. It seems to be running in the background as a process all the time.

I did read about this elsewhere a couple of months ago but thought i would highlight it here.
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  4. Hillskill

Hillskill Moderator/Games Reviewer

Ratings:
    +4,371
    Thought I would resurrect this one. I have been considering swapping my NAS for building a new Win7 box for file serving so today I decided to setup some shares between my win7 gaming rig and the PCH. Lo and behold I see nothing but default folders that display "no content" when I try and open them in my PCHA110! Run a search and there is no Windows Live Sign in Assistant installed on my machine (atleast as far as I can tell). Any other reason why shares aren't working ??
  5. next010

next010 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,729
    Try following this guide for setting up SMB network shares on Windows 7 with XBMC, applies to any media player.

If it still cannot access the folders after that try power cycling the network router.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. dave_bass5

dave_bass5 Active Member

Ratings:
    +552
    The only issues i have since had, have been with the live sign in assistant. Every now and then it gets installed during a update and blocks my PCH. If i un install it i get instant results.

Have you checked the program un install app to see if its there? Im guessing you have.

I also have my network set for "Work" rather than "Home", and my folders set to be shared by "everyone"
    Thats all ive ever had to do. Ive not even had to mess with the built in firewall.

Not sure if any of that helps.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. shift4311

shift4311 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Hillskill

Hillskill Moderator/Games Reviewer

Ratings:
    +4,371
    Guys thanks for the replies. Will give these options a go tonight :thumbsup: