Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC shuts down when I plug the iPod USB cable in :(

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Hades, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Hades

Hades Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,125
    Hi,

I have just bought an iPod Nano 8GB. Downloaded the latest version of iTunes and installed. Then as soon as plugged the USB cable into the PC it shut down instantly. I had to wait a good 5 minutes when before it would boot back up again. I have tried the front and rear USB port... but to no avail :(

I running Windows Vista and my PC spec is as follows:

AMD Athlon X2 4600 Dual Core
    2GB Corsair RAM
    256MB GeForce 7600GS
    320GB SATA II HDD
    MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum with Nvidia nForce 3 Ultra Chipset (motherboard)

The USB ports are all 2.0 compatible.

My PSU is 400W.

I have 3 USB devices plugged in the rear and nothing in the front. Devices connected are:

Keyboard
    Printer
    Scanner

I am sort of guessing the iPod USB cable is causing a surge of some sort, but I might be wrong.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be... and how to fix it please?

Many thanks,

Gazza.
  2. ush flynn

ush flynn Active Member

Ratings:
    +147
    does it shutdown or switch itself off? if its just switching off it could well be a spike or your PSU but 400w looks enough for the system, its a bit weird try removing your scanner and printer while you plug in your ipod and see what it does.
    Theres a PSU calculator on the net somewhere, you can tell it what components you have and it tells you how much they draw so you can get a suitable psu, is your CPU the energy efficient version?
  3. Hades

Hades Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,125
    It just shuts off. Does not go through shut down procedure.... as soon as you plug the cable in the PC goes off within a flash.

I am puzzled as to how this cable makes the PC shut off. The iPod is not even connected at the other end.... its just the cable. I plug my TomTom in when I need to update it. I am always plugging my Digital Camera in when needed. Never haver any issues with these.

I have no idea though as to whether the CPU is Energy Efficient.

Thanks,

Gazza.
  4. Barry the Brave

Barry the Brave Member

Ratings:
    +63
    My brother had exactly the same problem with the nano he got for christmas. Every time he connected the USB the laptop went off instantly. No shutdown, just like someone had pulled the battery out. I made sure to update all the drivers, run windows update etc, and after installing an updated driver for the onboard audio (nforce3 also I think) the problem went away. Strange but true.
  5. Autopilot

Autopilot Active Member

Ratings:
    +969
    Sounds like a bad USB driver causing the problem, usually is, you will probably be better off posting the PC Hardware forum. Best of luck.
  6. Hrochnick

Hrochnick Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Could possibly a bad USB cable. I've seen it happen with various devices. Somehow the wire shorts (?) and causes the pc to protect itself by instantly switching off. Try it with a different cable.

- Just read the end of your post. The Ipod is not even connected? Throw the wire away, it's faulty without a doubt.
  7. Hades

Hades Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,125
    After trying various things after being on the phone to Apple Support for some 40 minutes..... we gave up in the end.

The other issue was that I purchased it from Argos and the 30 day money back guarantee is excluded from this product. But after to speaking to a very very nice man, they have agreed that I can exchange for a similar product or have a refund in vouchers only.

So I am taking it back tomorrow and going to get a different brand of MP3 player and hope it was just Apple not liking my PC.

Cheers,

Gazza.