1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pc restarts when i turn my Tv on???

Discussion in 'Computer Systems' started by Daz87uk, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Daz87uk

Daz87uk Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Hi, I've got a Samsung 40inch R87 and connect to my pc via hdmi to dvi but recently for some unknown reason if i leave my pc on for a while, and turn my screen off. when i turn it back on the pc restarts?? it has never done this before and am slightly confused, its not a proper monitor but a freeview tv so how does it make the pc restart? it has done this 3 times now not a lot but within the last few weeks. i have the Ati HIS x1900xt 512 :confused:
  2. WildeKarde

WildeKarde Active Member

Ratings:
    +422
    Power socket maybe? It happens kinda at my work when someone on the same set of sockets either switches on their PC or comes out of screensaver. You can see the screen flicker on your PC - your issue sounds a bit more extreme
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Daz87uk

Daz87uk Member

Ratings:
    +9
    thanks ye im thinking it might be the power but then im plugged into a good power surge multisocket? and nothing else seems to be effected.
  4. WildeKarde

WildeKarde Active Member

Ratings:
    +422
    It's possibly not power but to lose power for 1 sec for example would reboot the PC and you might not notice it on anything else. Can you try the pc powered from a seperate socket?
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Daz87uk

Daz87uk Member

Ratings:
    +9
    yes i could thanks for the advice, although it hardly ever happens so it could be a long waiting experiment :)
  6. Krakin

Krakin Member

Ratings:
    +39
    Might be an idea to plug your computer into a UPS of some sort (Uninterruptible Power Supply). The wattage you need depends on your computer. Either that or run your computer from a different socket somewhere else in the house on an extension lead.
  7. Daz87uk

Daz87uk Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Have you seen the price''s of ups units lol, it would great to get of of those but they are so expensive thanks anyway
  8. Krakin

Krakin Member

Ratings:
    +39
    They do seem a bit expensive atm, last time I looked you could get this 650VA with AVR one for £19.99 inc VAT, now it's £30.
  9. Daz87uk

Daz87uk Member

Ratings:
    +9
    yeah its a little high, never mind. It just seems really odd, maybe i will have to connect my bike to the mains to generate enough power to start the tv without tripping the pc out then saying that i do run a lot of stuff xD my mnifridge im sure doesn't help but i will try some idea's and see if it happens again
  10. Krakin

Krakin Member

Ratings:
    +39
    Might be a bit easier to do the mains extension thing, the downstairs sockets are usually on a different circuit to the upstairs so both won't be using the same in-house power lines. If they're both on the same circuit (because not in a two storey house or whatever) just plug in the computer somewhere nearer the mains distribution box to reduce the effect.
  11. Daz87uk

Daz87uk Member

Ratings:
    +9
    yes for testing purpose's that would be good idea, I live with me parents in a bungalow, but as it doesn't happen that often this maybe not such a good idea. My setup is in my bedroom iv'e yet to calculate the amp's my 40inch samsung, 5.1, 620w PSu and a mini fridge on the bedroom circuit is doing, but i know my parents aren't best pleased. I keep telling them i install green power items to keep em happy lol. maybe it happens if all 3 pc's are on in each bedroom, i will have to conduct this experiment soon :) or kindly ask the Electricboard to install a 100Amp fuse on the Mains to the house, so i can my bedroom on its own 32Amp breaker lol. like that will ever happen :rolleyes: