Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pay as you go 3G sim card - what's the best option

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dubdemand, Mar 15, 2012.

1. dubdemand

dubdemand Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Right guys, I've had iPad 1 now for a couple of years and have just explained to SWMBO that no matter what, I need the new iPad in my life and will be heading to the stores first thing in the morning.

My current iPad is a 32gb wifi only and in the past I have been connecting to my iPhone with either mifi on my 3GS or more recently I have just been tethering with my 4S (although Orange charge for the data used when tethered and don't deduct it from your monthly play - ***!?!).

So, because Orange don't want be reasonable about this I've come to the decision that a 4G iPad is next on the agenda and I have started looking at the pay as you go options.

I don't use it that much when out right now but can imagine I will if it's easy enough to just pick up and get on with it without the nesecity to bugger about linking it to the phone etc so I expect I will end up using a fair bit of data while I'm on the move.

I've seen and read through plenty of threads on here about various deals but a lot of them seem to have been running for some time and don't quite answer the question of 'what's the best month by month pay as you go data roaming sim card?'

So guys, if you please, where should I go and which network will I get a) best coverage and b) best value from?

Thanks in advance for your help! :)
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  2. dubdemand

dubdemand Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Bump

Is this just a dull question or is everyone too busy with their nice shiny new iPads?
  3. daz1985

daz1985 Member

Ratings:
    +62
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Omegac

Omegac Member

Ratings:
    +57
    I also did the Three, 3 month card off eBay. Cost £12, and after 3 months throw it away and buy another. My Speedtest app using Three shows 8.5mb on the iPad, my home broadband shows 9.5mb, so not too shabby.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. dubdemand

dubdemand Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Brilliant! Thanks for the info guys :D
  6. Vertigo1

Vertigo1 Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Two options I'd recommend:

First up is Giffgaff, who operate on the O2 network. They charge £5/£7.50/£12.50 for 500MB/1GB/3GB respectively.

Second is Dida mobile, another virtual operator using the 3 network. They do some very cheap six month pre-paid SIM deals and there are vendors on ebay selling them even cheaper. I just picked up a six month 3GB SIM card (so 18GB in total) for £26 delivered, which is just over 4 quid a month for 3GB of data. Don't think you'll get much cheaper than that tbh.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. dubdemand

dubdemand Member

Ratings:
    +3

Thank you very much for the DiDa mobile tip! Made an offer of £25 on their eBay auction and received my sim card yesterday. Spent a while cutting it down just now (made it slightly too small but pleased to say it still works fine) using the PDF template found with a quick google search and I'm pleased to say its working fine with 8mb download speed :D

Top tip and probably the cheapest deal out there! Very pleased indeed!
  8. Azzin

Azzin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,078
    Simply put-there is no answer to your question, as network coverage is very subjective.

For example, my iPhone 4 is on 3's One Plan and coverage for me is fantastic and I get great speeds, but coverage for you may be really poor and therefore my suggestion of 3 is worthless.

The answer is to get a PAYG SIM from each provider and test them where you expect to use the iPad to see how good the coverage is, alternatively you could ask someone you live/work with what coverage is like for them if they have a 3G device on a particular network.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. dubdemand

dubdemand Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks fella but as said above I went with a DiDa prepaid chip from eBay - 6 months with a max of 3gb per month for £25!

I'm in Surrey and am getting 3 to 4 bars signal on what I believe is the three network - which I am more than happy with. I know what you're saying as this may not be the best solution for everyone but it works for me and that's good enough in my book.
  10. ian475

ian475 Member

Ratings:
    +34
    Which eBay seller was that then?
  11. SeanyF

SeanyF Member

Ratings:
    +11
    I would be interested to know how many MB a week/month you are actually using. I opted for the Giffgaff £5 gigabag - initially as a test to see if I could stay within 500MB a month - and am surprised that it looks like I will be using much less than that in a typical month. PAYG might be a better deal for me.
    BTW, for anyone else who might be interested, micro-sim cutters are available on Ebay for about £4.
  12. dubdemand

dubdemand Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Search ebay for Dida mobile and its the 3gb per month for 6 months sim card deal

Worth knowing about the cutter but tbh its easy enough to do it with scissors using this template

Hope that helps?
  13. ian475

ian475 Member

Ratings:
    +34
    I did that before asking but none of the sellers with best offer will accept £25,that's why I asked for the specific advert.big difference from £39 to £25.
  14. daveh48

daveh48 Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Hi,

You can also get a Micro SIM on this Dida deal here....

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

....so need for any cutting.

Cheers,

Dave.
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  15. dubdemand

dubdemand Member

Ratings:
    +3
    It looks like I got lucky then! Just checked and all their prices have gone upto £39.99!

Pic for proof:

[​IMG]

Maybe worth contacting them to see if they'll honour the price?
  16. nigelbb

nigelbb Active Member

Ratings:
    +498
    If 500MB/month is sufficient for you then the T-Mobile PAYG iPhone micro-SIM top up with £10 for 12 months free Internet offer is the one to go for. It is discussed at length in another thread misleadingly titled "£20 for 6 Months Internet (Unlimited) T-Mobile". Order the micro-SIM from here MicroSIM - Pay As You Go and Monthly Mobile Phone Micro SIM Cards You may need to put it into an iPhone to get the free Internet activated (check out the last few pages of the other thread).
  17. Inotrope

Inotrope Member

Ratings:
    +31
    I've been using the 3 12Gb / 12 month Sims for the last couple of years.
    Presently available on Amazon for £45 inc. P&P
  18. dubdemand

dubdemand Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Well my DiDa mobile sim has shown no service since friday and attempts to make contact by phone and email have been unsuccessful so far! I know it's Easter weekend so maybe I'll have some luck on Tuesday but I have to say I fear for the worst...

Anyone else had problems with them?
  19. Vertigo1

Vertigo1 Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Just replied to a PM from dubdemand on this but will post here too for everyone else's benefit.

Apparently a lot of these Dida SIMs have suddenly stopped working, possibly due to some dispute between Dida and Three - not sure.

For anyone who bought them via the ebay seller littlecube2010, just drop him a message and he should refund you in full for the SIM - he did for me without any quibbles at all.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. dubdemand

dubdemand Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Still waiting to hear back from the seller but will post the result as and when I do... Fingers crossed it all works out ok!
  21. garyM

garyM Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Same problem with my DiDa sim that I purchased last week. Checked it out after seeing these posts and just shows no service.
    My three sim works fine so not a reception issue.

Have contacted my eBay seller and am waiting for a reply.

Surprised there is nothing on the DiDa website about this.