Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paradigm Servo 15 to a BK Monolith Plus

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by KWB1, Feb 22, 2012.

1. KWB1

KWB1 Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Just ordered the Monolith Plus FF in Cherry - having had the Paradigm Servo 15, Im hoping it will be as good - if not better! :D

Ken

Mods can you edit the title to Paradigm Servo 15 to a BK Monolith Plus Monolith lol
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  2. Member 96948

Member 96948 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,848
    It will be interesting to see if you hear much difference. The Monolith has alittle more bottom end output, but the Servo has a little more control...

Russell
  3. KWB1

KWB1 Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Hey Russell, if it can wobble the sofa like the Servo did, then I will be happy :D

A quick question for you... is it right that the normal Monolith goes a bit lower than the 500watt plus Version??

Ken
  4. SBanga

SBanga Active Member

Ratings:
    +271
    I went from a Servo 15 to a Monolith (non plus version) and didn't regret it one bit. The normal version supposedly drops a couple of Hertz lower than the plus but this shouldn't be very noticeable.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. KWB1

KWB1 Member

Ratings:
    +20
    I did have 2 Servo's - much better balance than the one and they really dug deep so I will probably be on the Phone to BK for a second Monolith + if i'm Happy :D

Ken
  6. Member 96948

Ratings:
    +1,848
    Yes and no. The LAB 12 driver has a slightly higher resonant frequency, which means the Monolith Plus rolls off slightly sooner (2Hz maybe) but nothing significant. The Plus counters by going slightly louder and as room gain is factored into the equation too, you'd be hard pressed to measure, never mind notice, this slightly earlier roll-off. You would, on the other hand, notice the extra output and so that's the only difference of any real significance.

Russell
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Ianfromnotts

Ianfromnotts Member

Ratings:
    +173
    Been playing about with my servo 15s today. REW now shows my mains basically flat to 17hz and -1.5db at 15hz and virtually all of the boom I had with the non equalized mains has gone.

I was running the subs as a stereo pair next to the mains but it was never 100% successful. Today I finally got round to running them as a mono pair. One at the front of the room and one at the rear much much better.
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  8. TopMeTom

TopMeTom New Member

Ratings:
    +270
    Thats how i ran dual monoliths, god i miss the other one.
  9. KWB1

KWB1 Member

Ratings:
    +20
    What room EQ are you using Ian?

Ken
  10. Ianfromnotts

Ianfromnotts Member

Ratings:
    +173
    Using the X30 to crossover at 50hz. The mono outputs feed into both channels on an FBQ2496 and then REW for measuring and adjusting. Each sub channel was adjusted independently and some minor tweaks applied to integrate everything with the mains.

The latest version of REW is pretty amazing what used to take me hours of tweaking is now virtually automated, very little in the way of post auto tweaking needed these days.

I should have taken a print out of the waterfall before and after but I forgot it was pretty impressive clean up of decay

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  11. KWB1

KWB1 Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Nice,

I had a pair of Servo's and felt the bass had a much improved balance compared to the single Servo,

This will probably be my route with a pair of Monolith plus's with an antimode

Ken
  12. KWB1

KWB1 Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Well... the Monolith + just did not do it for me hence me returning it

I just could not get any real depth out of it - make no mistake - it has all the power when you crank it up - but I dont want to crank it up all the time just to get any benefit out of it

For me the Servo is in another level to the BK in terms of depth at lower volumes - suprising to me as people and measurments beg to differ

An important issue is the fact that its 90% music and 10% films and maybe the sealed servo with its 15 inch woofer that has the superiority

Gutted in a way as the Monoliths finish was supreme for the money

Ken
  13. SBanga

SBanga Active Member

Ratings:
    +271
    Just goes to show everyone's experiences are different and measurements are not the be all and end all.

What's next on the audition list? :devil:
  14. KWB1

KWB1 Member

Ratings:
    +20
    May have to try out whats in your sig and see what all the fuss is about! :thumbsup:

Ken
  15. SBanga

SBanga Active Member

Ratings:
    +271
    That'll be much easier once HiFix start stocking the SVS range. Let us all know your thoughts.
  16. canada16

canada16 Member

Ratings:
    +26
    They are supposed to be getting stock by tomorrow, but still no prices as of yet.
  17. W124coupe

W124coupe Member

Ratings:
    +44
    I feel the same about the XXLS400 in our sunroom. I think the root cause is that newer (more expensive) amp designs use DSP to vary the low Hz boost, maximising the extension at lower levels and backing off as the tap is opened. SVS (certainly on the SBs), KK, MKsound, Velodyne all do this.

BK's amp uses a fixed LT circuit (soldered components) to extend response and therefore has to be tailored to not exceed Xmax at full tilt, wasting potential extension at day to day levels.

So, if you are regular hooligan, BK makes you smile. If not, it makes you miss stuff the others can provide in the same or smaller space but for more ££££.

My mate is running 2 SB12-NSD as stands for his MA Apex set and they are stunningly better than the single XXLS400 at normal levels. Just as clean higher up too.

I'm very tempted to do the same.
  18. KWB1

KWB1 Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Interesting stuff :thumbsup:

Looks as though Hi Fix (close to me) will soon become stockists of SVS and the Sealed SB13- Plus will be on my listening list as well as the above mentioned

Ken
  19. TopMeTom

TopMeTom New Member

Ratings:
    +270
    Could be wrong but dont think the sb13+ is available over here anymore?
  20. W124coupe

W124coupe Member

Ratings:
    +44
    It's not.
  21. W124coupe

W124coupe Member

Ratings:
    +44
    Interstingly, we had a look inside the SB12-NSD yesterday and I'm surprised to say the driver is uncannily similar to the Peerless XXLS......

So, I went back to the Svsound site and looked at the driver pics there. When you load them up, the image names start 'XXLS'!

I think we have an 835017 being used here.....ie the Alu cone version of the BK XXLS400 and Mono driver. It would certainly explain the very good music results as these drivers are very clean up high.

Given Tymphany manufacture in HK/China now and the UK SVS SB subs also come from there I guess it makes sense....
  22. KWB1

KWB1 Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Having been recently re-united with a Paradigm Servo 15 - for me (and the other half) both agree that the Servo 'feels' and sounds far better than the BK Monolith Plus in my room.

The low frequency wobble at lower volumes and a much cleaner bass makes it an utter legend :thumbsup:

Ken
  23. Member 96948

Ratings:
    +1,848
    As with all things audio, there are no absolutes. The Monolith is ported, the Servo is sealed, relying on larger driver area. There is no guarantee the two will react the same in a given room, even if the drivers are in the same place.

On paper, one of my DIY 15" subs should outperform a single Monolith, but in my old room it wasn't the case. However, the converse was not true - A pair of the 15" subs was so far ahead of a pair of Monoliths, it wasn't funny.

You have the room that you have and the best sub is the one that works in it. EQ mops up the rest.

Russell

PS. Even if all the figures are the same, there's something inherently natural about the way a large driver moves air, compared to a ported sub. Even if you need more of them...
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  24. samhain

samhain Active Member

Ratings:
    +114
    I have the SB13 and its a beast. That man Russell likes it too ;) SVS have taken if off for sale to do some minor cabinet updates but I am led to believe that it will be back on soon. If it's better (I suspect it will but not by much) then it will provide many smiles as does mine
  25. KWB1

KWB1 Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Most Reviews suggest the SB13 is a great sub - for me tho the Servo continues to tick all the right boxes - Power / depth / Very low distortion and price

Having owned the Velodyne DD18, the Servo did not equal it - but it was bloody close - to my ears (and trousers) 2 servo's bettered it - for around £600 for both, it was a no brainer

Ken
  26. samhain

samhain Active Member

Ratings:
    +114
    I didn't have the benefit of exploring the limits of my servo 15 in the room I had but it could shift alot of air that's for sure