Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paradigm PDR10 or Mordaunt Short MSW 20 Sub

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by mandlebrot, Jan 2, 2002.

1. mandlebrot

mandlebrot Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Which of the above 2 would you recommend? I intend to use it with music and films using my Marantz SR4200. If you would recommend a differen't sub with a budget of around £150 what would it be?

Any Ideas welcome
  2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright AVForums Founder Staff Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ratings:
    +6,832
    Here's a really good idea. Don't bother buying a sub unless it's something decent like a REL Q150 at £500. The cheaper subs really aren't very good. They're boom boxes which tend to make the system sound worse, not better.
  3. slay

slay Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I got the MSW 20 and it suits my needs perfectly, mate has a 500 quid plus thingy and I cant tell the differance - but then again i am tone deaf :)

It works well for movies though and would not be without it now :)
  4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot Active Member

Ratings:
    +829
    I have both a PDR10 and a Rel Q200E.

The Rel does sound sharper and is more powerful, but for movies, the PDR10 isn't far behind - mine sits next to the sofa and gives a definate boost to the bass, and vibrates the sofa nicely during explosions etc. It's excellent value for money IMHO.

Gary.
  5. siwatkins

siwatkins Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I recently had the opportunity to try both the MSW20 and the Paradigm PS-1000 side by side. The guy in Richer Sounds was adamant that the MS sub was better than the PS-1000. I'd gone in to buy the Paradigm, and in the end, bought both on the basis I'd take back the one I didn't want.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, the MSW20 sub went back. It had nowhere near the extension of the Paradigm, neither was it as robust an unstressed at high volume.

That's not to say it was bad though - it would be a fine supplement to a pair of smallish fronts. It was quite musical too. But it really didn't have the low down grunt that the Paradigm had, and I'd bought it for home movies, not music; for which the Paradigm was vastly more convincing.

HTH

Simon
  6. mandlebrot

mandlebrot Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The guy at richer sounds said that if I wanted it for music has well has movies then to go for the MSW20, but if just for movies then he said to go for the Paradigm. Reading your reply siwatkins you say the MSW20 is musical but don't say if the Paradigm is any good for music. It would be very helpful if you could clear this point up has so far I'm leaning towards the Paradigm but if its only good for movies and rubbish with music I would have to go with the MSW20.

Although the Sub would be used for movies it would also need to be musical has well, has I also like to listen to music and will be running my CD player through the Marantz amp.
  7. russraff

russraff Member

Ratings:
    +43
    The Paradigm sub is much better than the MSW20. I have had similar conversations before with Richer Sounds, and I can't help feeling that they would rather you buy an "in-house" brand. This is even when it is obvious that the non affiliated company's products (Paradigm, in this case) is quite a bit better than the in house brand.
  8. siwatkins

siwatkins Member

Ratings:
    +5
    The difference between them is like night and day. The MSW20 is in a completely different league. The MS remember is a factory direct price of £149.99. The Paradigm retails for $700 in the US. The quality differences are huge. Have you had look at the reviews at the paradigm site - http://www.paradigm.ca/Website/SiteParadigmProduct/PReviews/NewSubReviews.html ?

Anyway to answer your question - yes, the Paradigm is good with music - but it does need careful placement and setup to avoid boominess. Once you've got the right position, and adjusted the levels correctly, I've no doubt you'd be very happy with it. The MSW20 is more like a decent Woofer than a sub-woofer and didn't take me any lower than my Linn Keilidhs in practise. Not only that, but you could make the MS fart very easily, and its output volume was much lower than that of the Paradigm, which goes very loud without farting or other horrible signs of stress.

The Richer Sounds group has a very close affiliation with MS, and will always try and sell you an MS product over anything else they stock - profit margins. That should give you a better idea of the relative real values of these subs.

I've had both in my living room, and the test didn't take very long at all before the MSW20 was completely discounted as being in a totally different ball park.

Simon
  9. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,314
    Paradim, great value in the UK. Why not get two?
  10. mandlebrot

mandlebrot Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for clearing that up siwatkins, I think my mind is made up unless I can find an Rel Q200E at an auction for about the same money, although will prob get impatiant if I don't find 1 within about 2 weeks. I waited long enough to get the Marantz amp (3 months) has it had sold out everywhere and can wait no longer.

The only problem with this hobby is I can't find a way to make it self financing unlike computers dam.
  11. bertha

bertha Member

Ratings:
    +70
    I've had the Paradigm about 7 months now and think it was great value for money for both movies and music I'd love to afford to shell out 500 bucks on the REL but it's a hard one to justify..my mates got the REL Stentor & it is truly teeth shuddering but then he lives in a crappy council house..gofigure?

Berth:rolleyes:
  12. mandlebrot

mandlebrot Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've just relised that siwatkins is talking about the PS-1000 and the sub I was thinking of getting is the PDR10 which is the same family but a slightly diff model. Is the PDR10 good has well or should I shell out the extra for the PS-1000?
  13. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot Active Member

Ratings:
    +829
    Depends where you're going to put the sub.

I've got the PDR10, and I nearly got the PS1000 for my loft room, but a Rel turned up cheap.

My PDR10 is next to the sofa and you really can feel the bass. If you're going to put the sub elsewhere, the bass may need to be more powerful, so then I'd go for the PS1000.

See if you can get a demo of both at Richer, or buy both and return the one you don't like under their 14 day return policy.

HTH

Gary.
  14. mandlebrot

mandlebrot Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers m8, will have to sort out a demo next week with Richer Sounds:~)