Panasonic VT50 - Part One

Status
Not open for further replies.
mancs said:
but seriously this is av forums and is for home cinema fans,cinema is movies and if your a casual day time tv watcher the brightness output should'nt even be a thing you should care about being a casual observer and not a avid movie fan.unless you are off handed watching a movie in the day time you will always choose to watch a movie in the dark. But of course the higher end model should atleast offer the same brightness output..for the casual viewer...

Avforums is a home for those with a high interest in av gear and those who just want to learn more, and casual viewers.
Like I've said before each persons viewing habits and environments are all different. Each does not make one or the other less a fan of av.

As a enthusiast all the key points of how a set performs for both day and night is important. Such things should not imo be over looked.

One thing im pleased about is the calibrations that once done give stunning results across gamma and greyscale. That's even taking into account hdtvtest saying a slight dip in greyscale is needed to avoid gamma fluctuations with there vt review.

Thx having a bright day mode is good. But with gamma output at 1.8 in this mode for me gives too much of a washed out image. 2.0 or 2.2 for my daytime use would have been better. Its a shame this mode can't be calibrated.

For night time i prefer gamma at 2.4 which i have a feeling this years sets will hit with ease.

Avforums is a home for those with a high interest in av gear and those who just want to learn more, and casual viewers.
Like I've said before each persons viewing habits and environments are all different. Each does not make one or the other less a fan of av.

As a enthusiast all the key points of how a set performs for both day and night is important. Such things should not imo be over looked.

One thing im pleased about is the calibrations that once done give stunning results across gamma and greyscale. That's even taking into account hdtvtest saying a slight dip in greyscale is needed to avoid gamma fluctuations with there vt review.

Thx having a bright day mode is good. But with gamma output at 1.8 in this mode for me gives too much of a washed out image. 2.0 or 2.2 for my daytime use would have been better. Its a shame this mode can't be calibrated.

For night time i prefer gamma at 2.4 which i have a feeling this years sets will hit with ease.

the home cinema tab..any how enough of that, on to the gamma. Your saying the vt in thx day is set to 1.8 where as you prefer a 2.0 to 2.2 for daytime and a higher 2.4 for night , which, is higher still and forgive me for being confused, but is'nt that counter intuitive?

mancs said:
the home cinema tab..any how enough of that, on to the gamma. Your saying the vt in thx day is set to 1.8 where as you prefer a 2.0 to 2.2 for daytime and a higher 2.4 for night , which, is higher still and forgive me for being confused, but is'nt that counter intuitive?

2.0 to 2.2 for daytime use. In a brighter environment i find that it gives the better image. 40ftl for light output target.

2.4 for night time or batcaves. 30ftl for light output target. Though some prefer 2.2 gamma.

When i calibrate i have a setting for day and night. Quick few pushes of a button to change mode. The benefits of having pro 1 and 2 modes lol.

And yes i know this is in the home cinema tab but my comment was something which is fact in regards to who the forum is suited for. Trust me as a ex mod on that one. ;)

surely the modes that cant be adjusted..a firmware update can sort that out? so they can be adjusted? isnt it just a set of calibration controls? all panasonic have to do is make them accessible? rather than locked out..

Last edited:
golden phoenix said:
surely the modes that cant be adjusted..a firmware update can sort that out? so they can be adjusted? isnt it just a set of calibration controls?

If they release a update to introduce the calibration controls on thx modes then yes it can be calibrated to hit all targets i mentioned. ;)

Or they could just release a update for the capped pro modes light output then it really would be the perfect set. The benefit of thx light output with the benefit of pro controls would be perfect.

If they release a update to introduce the calibration controls on thx modes then yes it can be calibrated to hit all targets i mentioned. ;)

Or they could just release a update for the capped pro modes light output then it really would be the perfect set. The benefit of thx light output with the benefit of pro controls would be perfect.

do you think the capping had something to do with the eco friendly rules and regs. seems odd to lock controls that could improve performance.surely everything shouldbe adjustable!

surely the modes that cant be adjusted..a firmware update can sort that out? so they can be adjusted? isnt it just a set of calibration controls? all panasonic have to do is make them accessible? rather than locked out..

if i Get a vt, i will personally email Panasonic requesting a update to fix the situation. Im sure they Ill listen lol.

The VT50 has plenty in its armoury to give excellent calibrations for day, night, evening, early hours, breakfast, lunch or dinner :)

golden phoenix said:
do you think the capping had something to do with the eco friendly rules and regs. seems odd to lock controls that could improve performance.surely everything shouldbe adjustable!

I would have thought eco mode would have been to meet regs. Maybe they cap it so when reviews are published and folks look at calibrated power usage its shows it quite low. Higher light output normally means more energy is used. But having said this its odd how they allow the st can get higher light output.

Maybe its just a firmware glitch?

Mark Hodgkinson said:
The VT50 has plenty in its armoury to give excellent calibrations for day, night, evening, early hours, breakfast, lunch or dinner :)

Unless your picky like me lol.

Maybe its just a firmware glitch?
I doubt it. The Professional modes have been capped to this level for a few years now.

What's changed to make the situation noteworthy is that the ST50 came out with an uncapped "True Cinema" mode (not "Professional") but does have calibration controls now, meaning the picture can be made more accurate. Also, Panasonic mentioning higher light output specifically.

Unless your picky like me lol.

Even for the pickiest John.

A good daytime calibration for a bright room isn't going to look too pretty on the graphs. You need over bright/saturated colours and wacky gamma:)

David Mackenzie said:
I doubt it. The Professional modes have been capped to this level for a few years now.

What's changed to make the situation noteworthy is that the ST50 came out with an uncapped "True Cinema" mode (not "Professional") but does have calibration controls now, meaning the picture can be made more accurate. Also, Panasonic mentioning higher light output specifically.

Does other modes offer the calibration controls and light output?

curly99 said:
mancs and ricky 27 agree to disagree and take any further disagreements else where and not in this thread.

Curly

+1

No, there is no perfect solution. The next best thing is the THX Cinema mode and calibrating Greyscale in the service menu. It has no CMS or gamma controls but these are sufficiently accurate.

Although I think the pre-calibrated Greyscale is very good anyway - just a little bit too blue.

No, there is no perfect solution. The next best thing is the THX Cinema mode and calibrating Greyscale in the service menu. It has no CMS or gamma controls but these are sufficiently accurate.

Although I think the pre-calibrated Greyscale is very good anyway - just a little bit too blue.
Awsome cheers mate.

It will be some some time if I choose to get a VT50 as money is now very tight.

When you're done with it, I'd like a go of that crystal ball you have. :rolleyes:

shame there isn't a review yet or a sign of it to test it's worth against the Panasonics...at the very best it will match the Panasonic,besides...my crystal ball told me no chance :)

The main thing is....is it better than the Pioneer Kuro. All hail the mighty Kuro.

OK I'll get me coat and close the door after me.

Fred Quimby said:
The main thing is....is it better than the Pioneer Kuro. All hail the mighty Kuro.

Never gonna happen!

I've got the Pioneer 507xd and I'm almost certainly going to get a Panasonic plasma but I'm worried the blacks aren't going to complete. My Pio is not a kuro but it's a great picture with very deep blacks and deals with standard def content very well.

Looking to upgrade for better HD picture quality, full HD and bigger screen (never would have thought 4 years ago that I would ever want bigger than 50"!) but those blacks have got to at least equal my Pio else it's a no go.

For some people it will be. It's less noisy (visually and audibly!) and has a better design. The black level is not as good but it's still excellent. I can understand why people wouldn't want to "upgrade" to a display with weaker blacks though, even if the difference is small.

It also doesn't roll off fine detail (it amplifies it instead!) Although I don't think anyone will find many problems with either for video use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom