Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic VT50 image retention problem, subtitles?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by lixux, Feb 10, 2013.

1. lixux

lixux Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everybody,

Although I read this forum occasionally this is my first time posting about a problem that I have. Last October I've bought a VT50 and I was very happy with it's picture but from last December I started seeing two lines at the bottom of the screen, usually where the subtitles are displayed. I swear that I've not left any static images.

Can subtitles leave straight line image retention? I mean the subtitles only show for 2 seconds and are continuously changing. So for a whole month I saw the television without the subtitles but still the lines remained at the bottom of the screen. Is it a defective panel? What should I do?

The two lines usually are seen when the bottom of the picture is made up of one colour. When I view movies with bars it's not a problem but it's very irritating when watching full screen movies.

Thanks for helping me and sorry for not my perfect English.

Attached Files:

2. DaMacFunkin

DaMacFunkin Member

Ratings:
    +20
    I'd definatley say that is from subtitles, there will be an overlay all along that section when displaying subs, yesterday i had to leave my TV on the scrolling white bar, i got mine in November and i have just suddenly started seeing the Virgin Media V+ Dog (The graphic that comes on screen when you play a recording or fast forward a recording) on certain backgrounds, which i'm not happy about because we only use the V+ for corrie and emmerdale. Whilst running the white bar i noticed The Sky Sports Logo in the top right hand corner as well, i swear the longer i have this set the more quirky it is getting, not better.
  3. tirebiter

tirebiter Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Love this set but I had heard that "burn in" was a thing of the past when I bought it. Wrong and wrong. I have somewhat noticeable burn-in that I cannot erase away with anti-IR tools. It makes me crazy that I paid $2K for such a nice TV but it has this flaw. If I could go back in time and whisper in my own ear I would say, "...Sharp Elite, Sharp Elite..."

If you watch a lot of sports or news channels (or subtitles, apparently) definitely stay away from plasmas.
  4. Scooby2000

Scooby2000 Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,410
    What have you done to try and shift it? If its burn in you've been very unlucky.
    I'll check my mates G15 but can't remember noticing any problem and he has subtitles on all the time.

How long have you run the scrolling bars?
  5. lixux

lixux Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Disney WOW disk and yesterday I've left the tv on the pixel orbiter for 6 hours. Again, today I've put the pixel orbiter for another 6 hours but it's still there. For two months I didn't watch any movie with subtitles.

Next time I think I'm going for an LED. Altough I love this tv's picture, and it's one of the best I've seen, there are many restrictions.
  6. Scooby2000

Ratings:
    +2,410
    Im sure its likely just bad IR, however lasting that long it may as well be burn.:thumbsdow
    It is getting a bit worrying the amount reports of this has been growing.
    The forums represent quite a small proportion of owners so hopefully its only a small number of sets, but still its not good reading. Maybe try Samsung plasma.
  7. vicd1

vicd1 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have the exact same problem, I always watch my movies/tvseries with subtitles on and I have never understood where the lines come from until I saw your thread.

Have you found any solution? I also tried running the pixel orbiter for a day but it doesnt seem to help. I'm wondering if any you can run any other picture tests to reduce it?

Currently, you can only see the lines at bright scenes, especially white.I spent so much money on this new model hoping it would be problem free after having clouding issues with Samsung leds but now seeing this problem makes me so sad :suicide:
  8. Scooby2000

Ratings:
    +2,410
    Yes you need the orbiter on though it will likely not move things enough. The scrolling bar is the best thing to use.
    It is surprising as my mate uses subs with no clear issue on his G15 and that model has a bad rep for mll rise and IR.
    If I remember next time Im round Ill have a look for IR.
  9. fluxo

fluxo Active Member

Ratings:
    +601
    In case it's of interest I'll mention that some blu ray players allow
    you to choose where the subtitles appear, so their position be varied.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. DaMacFunkin

DaMacFunkin Member

Ratings:
    +20
    I had a G15 for 3 years and never had any probs, it was brilliant especially with the hack.
  11. Scooby2000

Ratings:
    +2,410
    Sadly my mates black level did rise, though IR has never been an issue strangely, it is a cracking set, HD freesat looks stunning on it as do films and games, shame about the mll rise but all in all he's still happy, though tempted to go bigger now lol.
  12. vicd1

vicd1 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Do you guys think it will help if I start to watch my tv series and movies with no subtitles and leave the scrolling bar on for 6 hours everyday for about 1-2 weeks? So far I have left it on for 2 days for 6 hours each, no apparent improvement.

Also I read somewhere that if I use the THX image settings, the pixel orbiter does not work, so should i not use this mode?

Also, beside the scrolling bar, is there any other better things todo in order to reduce/eliminate the subtitle burn in? Does it help to call in someone to calibrate it? Maybe some other video you can download and run it looping on the tv?

If I would have known that subtitles would burn into the screen, I would have shut them off during the "work in" period. I have always been so careful to only watch full screen videos and to never leave any static image on, however I had absolutely no clue that subtitles would do harm to the plasma tv :(
  13. DaMacFunkin

DaMacFunkin Member

Ratings:
    +20
    I'd seriously consider turning your contrast down, what are your settings? On pro mode I have mine at 38, any higher it it leaves ir really easy.
  14. Scooby2000

Ratings:
    +2,410
    Calibration won't get rid of IR and its an expensive way to help avoid getting more.

Not using subs and just viewing normal TV will half remove it definitely, the bars are just a quicker way really. Over time normal viewing will shift it.
  15. tirebiter

tirebiter Member

Ratings:
    +0
    A fellow in another forum suggested putting up a pure white screen with no borders, etc. and run it for a long time.

I have a lappy hooked up to the set so I ran Irfanview in full screen mode with a pure white image for 40-60 hours or so and I must say the burn-in or severe IR has been reduced to the point where I do not notice it during normal programming. It's still there, but it's no longer grinding my emotions every time I watch my $2K TV.
  16. TONYELISE

TONYELISE Active Member

Ratings:
    +762
    I found this maybe worth a try

Tristan's Random Computer Stuff: Removing Image Retention on Plasma HDTVs with Ubuntu

And i do know people have really good results with this

Plasma TV Logo Removing DVD - fix burn-in pixels

Hope you get it sorted

Tony
  17. YCbCr

YCbCr Member

Ratings:
    +0
    A very good way to help resolve IR is to use the pixel flipper on the Disney WOW calibration disc. Have found this very useful with some nasty IR.
  18. deon444

deon444 Member

Ratings:
    +188
    +1 having used this a few times i have found it better than using the scrolling bar
  19. vicd1

vicd1 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I have ran the scrolling bars for maybe 3 hours everyday and it haven't helped at all it seems.

From the thread it seems I have three choices.

1. Leave a very bright white image on the tv for a long time
    2. Go buy the Disney WOW clibration disc for the pixel flipper and use it
    3. Use the Plasma tv logo removal from here Plasma TV Logo Removing DVD - fix burn-in pixels

Maybe I borrow a digital camera to take pictures of before and after to see if there's any improvement. Which one of these alternatives do you guys suggest? As the image retention is most clear in bright white pictures, maybe no.1. will help? Or will it maybe make it worse?
  20. strugler

strugler Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have the exact same issue as the OP.

My Samsung TV is only 5 months old and i watched movies with subtitles about 70% of the total viewing. Do you those bars are bad IR or burn in ?

Anybody with the issue was able to remove those stinky annoying bars ???

Thank you
  21. strugler

strugler Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Any success yet?

I just got the disney wow bluray and i just started running the pixel flipper. I only ran it for an ahour every 2 other days, there is a slight imporvement but nothing to brag about.

Anyone was able to get those subtitle bars removed with time.

Plz HELP!
  22. deon444

deon444 Member

Ratings:
    +188
    maybe try running it longer,say 3-4 hours a day or use the scrolling bar for a few hours every day until it goes.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  23. johnbower

johnbower Member

Ratings:
    +19
    I have an ST50 and boy what a joy!!!!!

I had an pana plasma for 5 years no image retention now 4 months in on a new set i have the sky menu permanently burned in.

It's not like i spend an hour looking at the menu probably 10 mins tops but it seems it's enough to permanently burn it in.

So i am interested if anyone has any ideas or if any of the solutions on here worked.

Good tv but why on earth would you make a tv so prone to burn in?