Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic VT30 Owners thread Part 9

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Curly99, Jan 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Curly99

Curly99 Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,053
  2. Moonwalker2006

Moonwalker2006 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    I bought my VT30(50 inch) last year around july or so, and after a short while i started to notice green blobs on my screen during gaming especially and also the vertical banding on both right and left sides of the screen. However, in the early days of the tv it wasn't really bad. But it seems to get worse, and in more and more games i start to see the vertical banding, especially...and its annoying me greatly to be honest.

Panasonic already came to my house last year, they acknowledged the green tinge and banding, but also said that right now there was nothing they could do. They could repair it there on the spot, but it wouldn't help cause there was something wrong inside the screen, a repair would only have meant a screen replacement, and that would not have helped at all, according to them. They said they were gonna contact me, but it's been months ever since...and i have yet to hear back from them...i dont expect to hear back from them.

I'm gonna see if i can call Panasonic myself, see if they want to do anything about this, if not....i don't think i can do much. I can of course call the shop where i bought it, but i don't really know my rights, and i HIGHLY doubt they will give me either my money back or a different tv (not a panasonic). Last year when i started to see the faults on the tv..i called the shop, and quite soon it became clear to me they wanted Panasonic to take care of this. Also when i explained about the faults on the VT30 and that plenty of other people had this problem, the reply was 'oh that's weird...we don't see/hear anything about that' .

So yeah...next week i'm first gonna try to call Panasonic myself, if nothing comes of that. I'll call the store, explain them everything. I'll tell them that another VT30 won't even help and that i'd really apreciate it if i could choose a different tv. But another problem no doubt will be....if someone from the store wants to see the problem himself, he can just flat out deny it. Cause i may see the vertical banding clearly during gaming, other peolpe might not....on break in slides/pictures you really don't see the vertical banding, only during a few videogames when rotating the camera around.

If there is a way to clearly show the vertical banding, so that nobody can ever deny it...i'd apreciate to know that..is there a way?

And here's where my second question comes in.....

What other tv (i expect a Samsung) is similar to VT30 in terms of screen quality and response time, basically similar to the VT30's specs. What tv would i be looking at? And it needs to be the same price or lower...and 50 inch.
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  3. outerhaven

outerhaven Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm a bit late into the VT30 market, as was going to buy one last year but lots of issues came up that meant I kept putting it further and further back. Now I at a point where I can now purchase a VT30 but now that the V50's have been announced would it be best to wait?

As to be honest, I'm only looking at the 50" as that's the most decent size for viewing in the room it will be going in. But the lowest price I've seen are also out of stock at the moment so not sure if they will get any more in if the VT50's are on there way in the next couple of months.

Also the highest price for the 50VT30 I've seen is around £1800, but if I remember correctly the lowest price for the 50VT30 when it was released was around the £2400 mark, so would assume the VT50 would be around the same price this year, is it worth saving an extra £600 and buying a VT50 instead of getting the VT30 now with all the problems that I've seen and heard. I'm prepared to wait just looking for others opinions first really.

Would I be better placed getting a GT30 until the VT50's come out, or maybe buying an ex-display or refurbished VT30? Actually would a refurbished VT30 be any good?
  4. fluxo

fluxo Active Member

Ratings:
    +605
    @moonwalker

A colorimeter can be used to provide an objective
    measurement of colour variations, e.g., banding.
  5. Simon Lill

Simon Lill Member

Ratings:
    +15
    If you can wait, I'd wait.

I got a P50VT30 in November, and honestly, I wish I'd now waited.

Reason being the 50hz issues. I can only assume Panasonic will have at least endeavoured to fix these in the VT50 range.

Given that you've waited this long and seem happy to wait a bit longer, I'd hold your nerve and see what 2012 has to offer.

Worse case, you wait that bit longer, the VT50 comes out, offers little in the way of improvement but you pick up offers on the VT30...
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. outerhaven

outerhaven Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I think I can wait a little longer to be honest then, as would seem a shame to take the plundge for a VT30 and get all the issues that go with it and knowing from my history with electrical products that always seem to fail on me I'd get the worse of the lot...

I'll wait for the VT50 then, as it's only going to hopefully be 3 / 4 months at least.
  7. leamspaceman

leamspaceman Active Member

Ratings:
    +985
    Phew...this TV is one massive and heavy beast. Me and my friend managed to get it into position eventually. We're both pretty strong but it's just the awkwardness of such a dead weight that makes lifting it tough. And you're also very mindful that you don't want to damage it. My friend has rings on and succeeded in scratching the silver surround ever so slightly...! Can only see it if you look closely though...bit like when your new car gets it's first chip in the paint.

First thing I noticed was the build quality...like a tank.

Someone posted earlier that they couldn't get their HDMI leads to plug in as they were too 'fat'...well, same here. There just isn't enough clearance to make them fit. So I need to get new HDMI's today. Not the £140 Monster cables though:D

By the time I'd got the thing in place and then disposed of the box (a task in itself) I was starving...so got a takeaway and then went to bed.

So I'm going to get it all set-up and connected today...and report back later.

Cheers all.
  8. GhostRider17

GhostRider17 Member

Ratings:
    +161
    I was thinking about taking the plunge and getting a 42vt30 but if the 50hz issues are that bad i wont bother as ill be connecting my ps2 to it via component. I dont actually watch tv at all though.
  9. Simon Lill

Simon Lill Member

Ratings:
    +15
    How 'bad' it is I guess is how easily you spot it.

I watch a lot of Sky and football and it's still affecting my viewing experience.

Others may have better experiences I guess...
  10. GhostRider17

GhostRider17 Member

Ratings:
    +161
    Im still not sure really,isnt there any setting you can change to make it not as noticeable? Do you yourself play any 50hz games at all?

The green blob issue is also worrying,but im kind of hoping that theyve ironed this out with the later sets,long shot i know.

Why is buying a tv SO hard nowadays,back in the day you could buy any crt tv and be happy with it.
  11. manuxs

manuxs Member

Ratings:
    +45
    No green blobs on 42VT30. Only 50VT30.
  12. makakam

makakam Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone knows if Panasonic is planning on releasing new firmware in the nearest future?
  13. Moonwalker2006

Moonwalker2006 Member

Ratings:
    +9

I have no idea what that is :)

The thing is gonna be a problem though, and i guess at the end of the day i probably should ask myself if it will be worth all the hastle. I've tried several things today.

I checked the Dark Knight blu ray, no banding and the green tinge was simply nowhere to be seen. I've tried other PS3 games and some 360 games, and i just don't see it. Strangely enough i clearly see it in some games like L.A. Noire and Final Fantasy XIII, when the sky is very bright and what not. So i think...'ok...the picture has to be very bright..' so i check all the different break in slides and normal white pictures of landscapes, and i just don't see it that much.

However...if it starts to appear at more games...i'm gonna see what i can do about it.
  14. gee123

gee123 Member

Ratings:
    +93
    I told you that you would need your weatabix
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. slc79

slc79 Member

Ratings:
    +160
    This is incorrect. Green blobs has been found on any size and model across the world. It's 2011-specific, and not linked to any particular batch, etc. I am getting more and more convinced that they all have this to some degree and it's down to the owner not spotting it or it being so minimal that it doesn't do any real damage.

I find it so highly unlikely that it can't be with all of these sets simply because EVERY SINGLE ONE who has encountered this and reported it have tried multiple sets with no luck, often from COMPLETELY different batches. What are the odds of this happening to a selection of people if it doesn't affect the whole bunch? You're probably more likely to win at the REAL lottery...
  16. gee123

gee123 Member

Ratings:
    +93
    Really sorry to hear about the scratch I'm sure nobody will notice it, and yes they are built like a tank you can see where the extra money has gone
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Simon Lill

Simon Lill Member

Ratings:
    +15
    The main setting that has an affect is Intelligent Frame Creation. Toggling between Mid and Max provides some relief from the problems.

Turn it off and at times the motion handling is horrendous.

Others on here will argue about the use of this setting though...
  18. Scooby2000

Scooby2000 Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,410
    Sales of goods act my friend;) Panasonic themselves have told you there is a fault that they cant repair, so you have the right to a refund or replacment, simple as that. Tel the store you are now aware of your consumer rifgts and would like a full refund or another set. Ask Panasonic for a copy of the engineers report, this will be your proof the set is faulty. Take a look at the Samsungs, great sets IMO and may Panasonic owners have gone to them.
  19. Moonwalker2006

Moonwalker2006 Member

Ratings:
    +9

I got the engineers report here, and i notice the defect description says : green tinge/effect,especially in the middle of screen.

And at operation it says : Needs examining

And that's basically it, i was wrong about that they acknowledged the vertical banding as well, it wasn't as bad at that time. I'm probably gonna have to call them next week and explain the vertical banding too, they probably will send someone over again...and then i'll just make sure to have the games ready where the vertical banding is clear.

Or i need that meter...someone here spoke of, but i've no idea what that is. Basically they haven't acknlowdged anything on paper, the guy told me he acknowledged it though and admitted it...but i need it on paper.
  20. Wiggins

Wiggins Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Moonwalker, please keep us up to date on how you get on. I too bought a 50"vt30 in May last year and I'm really not best chuffed with it (double imaging on lower frame-rate games etc. green blobs) considering how much it cost. I got mine from a Panasonic store, so it might be easier for me to return it, but I'd still like to know how you get on considering you've had yours nearly as long as me.
    Good luck with it all mate.
  21. Moonwalker2006

Moonwalker2006 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks man.

I'm planning on calling E-care (the company that handles repairs and what not for Panasonic) monday, tell them that 'insert engineer name' visited me last year, the guy told me that i would hear back from them, but none of that has happened, and the situation with my tv has become worse. I'll explain the green tinge, but especially the vertical banding, and that for a tv of this price range...shouldn't have those problems.

Then i expect that they want to take a look at it again...i'm not expecting much of them though. But all i want is a detailed report, where it says the vertical banding and green tinge is definitely there. And then i can call my shop and explain this, just like Scooby said. Cause i honestly do see this issue getting worse later on...it really wouldn't surprise me.
  22. GhostRider17

GhostRider17 Member

Ratings:
    +161
    Its so frustrating really as i hear that these are excellent sets apart from the green blob and the 50hz issue. Think ill go over to the proper green blob forum and look more into the 42" models,not that im saying youre wrong at all. Thanks for the input!
  23. Moonwalker2006

Moonwalker2006 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    The VT30 is now 2099 at the store where i bought it last year, but when i bought it , it was 1625. But that was only because i had a deal/agreement with the store, together with someone from a AV forum. Basically the agreement was that, if two VT30's would be bought from the store, each would cost 1625.

Let's say the store agrees with me and lets me choose a different tv...i assume i can choose a tv that costs around the 2099 from the store, right? Since the VT30 is now 2099? I'm not sure how that's gonna work....

If i didn't make that deal with the store last year, i probably had to pay 2099. But because of that deal, two VT30's for 1625...if the store says i can only select a tv around the pricerange of 1625...i'll have these choices

LG 50 PZ 950

But it wouldn't be fair..cause the Panny GT30 is around that price too, and in terms of specs much less than the VT30.
  24. leamspaceman

leamspaceman Active Member

Ratings:
    +985
    Already forgotten about it. It is very small...you have to be about 30cm away to see it:laugh:

Got it all set-up now and have it on 360 media player fullscreen, overscan on, zoom 3, all settings on mid and sharpness on min.

Looks lovely...a lot more natural than the Samsung I had. And it's just as bright.

Will post more and some pics later.
  25. MultiRoom

MultiRoom Member

Ratings:
    +25
    No, I would think the best you could hope for is them to give you a £1625 refund and they'll tell you to get on with it. You can either spend that on something new in store or walk to Mr Samsung's shop.

You can't expect to get a deal, then take it back and get the original or current price for something - it never works like that.

Often, you'll get less than you brought it for, since you've had X amount of use out of it. There was someone who sent their Pio Kuro back because of a stuck pixel, it was 3 or 4 years old, and they were told it couldn't be fixed, here's £600 odd quid. Think he spent £2000ish on it 4 years ago or something. It was a recent post in this forum.

But, hopefully you'll get your £1625 back. There's nothing to stop you from using that £1625 and bringing them down on the price of an £1800 or even £2000 TV, especially given the inconvenience you've had.

I see green on my screen, but I don't think that's nearly as big of a cock up as the 50hz issue, which IMO is far more noticeable. I mean, all of out content is broadcast at 50hz. I'd like to think that this could be fixed by a FW update, or even a replacement board. I love this TV but it's a real fly in the ointment when such a cracking experience is interrupted by screen judder.
  26. manuxs

manuxs Member

Ratings:
    +45
    I've had three 50VT30, all affected with green blobs.
    So I turned to a 42VT30 which I currently have, and which has NO green blob at all (believe me, after three 50VT30, I know exactly how to display them).

And no, I've never ever heard of green blobs on 42VT30, 55VT30 and 65VT30. Only the 50VT30 is affected by the green blob issue. Even here, on avforums, I've never seen a single post about green blobs on anything else but 50VT30.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  27. MultiRoom

MultiRoom Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Does anyone know if the 65s are brighter than the 50/55s? I am really disappointed with the brightness of this set in certain modes. Also, the 50hz issue - is it present across the range?
  28. micks_address

micks_address Active Member

Ratings:
    +166
    my 42vt30 is fantastic. I don't see major improvements coming this year in the picture department at least. Can barely notice the 50hz issues on,my set. Maybe at larger sizes its more noticeable.
  29. Moonwalker2006

Moonwalker2006 Member

Ratings:
    +9

This 50hz thing only happens when watching tv channels? I don't have any tv connection,no cable, nothing. It's all for gaming and movie/tv show watching for me :)

But yeah, what you said makes sense, if they agree to let me choose a different tv, i can always see what kind of tv's they are thinking of and if thats not good enough..then money back if possible. OR....accept this and try to ignore it, hoping that it wont get worse.
  30. Scooby2000

Scooby2000 Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,410
    You can act now, you have a report of there being an issue so the sets not fit for purpose. You should get what you paid for the item back maybe - a percentage for use of the set. Id start with demanding a full refund of what you paid or a set to the same value. You have the law on your side.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.