Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic VIERA TH-42PV500B or Pioneer PDP435XDE

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by MikeW, Apr 27, 2005.

1. MikeW

MikeW Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am really in a quandary about which plasma to choose. I had my heart set on a Pioneer PDP435XDE, but I have now been enticed by the Panasonic VIERA TH-42PV500B screen :confused: . I was put off up to now from the Panasonic screens by the 852x480 resolutions, but the VIERA TH-42PV500B has a resolution of 1024x720 (HD ready). They are both amazing plasmas and I just don't know which one to spend the money burning a hole in my pocket on! Do any of you have any advice? :smashin:
  2. Neil F Holland

Neil F Holland Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know if the PV500 will accept:

Native (50)
    720p (50)
    1080i (50)

Via its HDMI socket and if its on board speaker could be configured to act as a centre channel in conjunction with an external amp and left / right speakers?

Heard it's out next month but has anyone of our experts actually got hold of one and had a play with it yet?
  3. retro21

retro21 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I know it may sound obvious but have you actually seen both screens in action?

Also with a variety of inputs which you'll also be running into the plasma when you get it home? :confused:
  4. MikeW

MikeW Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't actually seen both screens together. I have seen the Pioneer in a few stores and I think it's superb. I definitely want to view the Panasonic, but I have not managed to find it in a store just yet.
  5. MikeW

MikeW Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was reading through my What Hifi mag last night and realised that it looks like they are testing these two plasmas next month (5th May). There is no names given on the advert for next months mag but it looks like the Panasonic VIERA TH-42PV500B and it is probably a Pioneer PDP435XDE rather than a HDE or a FDE. If you are like me trying to decide between these two plasmas I think it will be a good read. :smashin:
  6. MikeW

MikeW Member

Ratings:
    +0
  7. retro21

retro21 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Very good MikeW :rotfl: :rotfl:

As you can see you've made me update my signature. Will shoot the researcher ;)
  8. Sofa-loafer

Sofa-loafer Member

Ratings:
    +63
    As you are asking for personal points of view, I'll keep mine short, the Viera is a mile ahead... Put them side by side with the same feed source and see for yourself, nuff said...
  9. MikeW

MikeW Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your comments Sofa-loafer. It will be interesting to see if there are many people singing the Pioneer's praises. I really want to see them side by side.
  10. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr Active Member

Ratings:
    +667
    The PV500 isn't out for a few weeks, expect to see lots of threads on it when it does come out..
  11. Sofa-loafer

Sofa-loafer Member

Ratings:
    +63
    I bought a Viera 37" a few months back for £1600 with cabinet stand (Bargain). I viewed the Pio-xde and Panny side by side, even tho the viera has a lower screen res I was blown away by the sharpness and clarity. It's a personal choice, I did my research, played with all the settings on each display. The new pv500 is a great choice. As I said, side by side, picture for picture, the panny is superior. However, I do love the look of the pio, but image quality is just not as good IMHO...

I'm not following the panny is best policy as quoted on some threads, I made my choice and have never looked back!
  12. alpha10

alpha10 Active Member

Ratings:
    +191
    You haven't been lucky enough to actually see a pv500 though have you?

Hope someone does soon...
  13. Mr.G

Mr.G Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Saw it in action last week in the Pany showroom. Strangely enough it was conected to a DVD player via Supervideo and not with HDMI or component. Nevertheless, it was the best picture i ever saw. So much depht the colours the blacks. Almost surreal. It played alongside the new 50 and the 500 was actually better then the 500 and they both had the same input (DVD).

It really blew my mind.

It will be in shop the next month and I will wait for sure.

Thumbs up :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PS: sorry for my poor english
  14. Jazz Monkey Jr

Ratings:
    +667
    You mean S-VHS

Better than most

So you didn't see HD running, just normal DVD?
  15. Sulis

Sulis Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Please can you clarify which you thought the better picture quality on standard definition material - the 50 or the 500! This is what everyone wants to know...
  16. Mr.G

Mr.G Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    S-vhs indeed

and the pv500 was better.

Believe it or not. the 50 is already a beautifull picture. But even after upscaling the PV500 gave a better picture

It was really awsome

:D:D:D
  17. Mr.G

Mr.G Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    S-VHS indeed

And believe it or not, bust the 500 did the upscaling job perfect. The quality was even better then the 50.
    So if you're having doubts I woulds say:

"wait a couple of weeks and spend some extra mony on it. You won't be dissapointed. Besides the quality you'll also gain some extra connections such as HDMI and, for myself very important, a PC connection.

:) :hiya:
  18. Jazz Monkey Jr

Ratings:
    +667
    That's what we wanted to hear :thumbsup:
  19. Mr.G

Mr.G Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I was really pleasantly suprised.

And I think you will all be once you've seen that picture
  20. Jazz Monkey Jr

Ratings:
    +667
    Has anyone confirmed the resolution of this panel, is it 1024x768 or 1024x720... :confused:
  21. carlton

carlton Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I think this been answered a thousand times 768 for the 42" and 720 for the 37"
  22. Jazz Monkey Jr

Ratings:
    +667
    Who's counting?
  23. MikeW

MikeW Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the replies and the information you guys have provided, I am lured even more to the Panasonic rather than the Pioneer. Can't wait to see one. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
  24. Nick

Nick Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just had a response to an enquiry from the Panasonic customer service team and they have told me that it will now be available until Summer?

Can anyone clarify this as I am in the same dilemna between these two screens but could not wait that long...
  25. av_guy

av_guy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    We saw the Pio 435XDE and the Panny 43PE50 side-by-side at the Ideal Home Show and at a major dealer in Central London.

The folks, wife and I, had our eyes on the Panny Viera for a few months, as a friend has one. But, the picture quality on the Pio stole it for us. The definition and overall picture quality was better (not blown away, but simply better). The colours appeared truer and the detail clearer. The Pio looked sexier too - a bonus!

We saw both plasma's running direct feeds from digital TV, Analogue TV and DVD. Have to admit, on all counts the Pio just looked better. Yup, the Pio was more money (we still got a good deal). But, well worth it. I asked the dealer about calibration and none of the plasma's had been done. Both plasma's were running feeds from a high-end Panasonic DVD player/recorder - the model slips my mind at the moment and then, a high-end Pioneer recorder.

The great thing about the Pio - should you have an issue with either the panel or the media receiver, only one component needs to be replaced/repaired/taken away, so no need to upset your beautiful set-up.
  26. Sulis

Sulis Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Depends on your definition of 'Summer'... If we have one this year... :)
  27. kevin scott

kevin scott Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    mate i've been selling these pioneers and Panasonics for ages
    pioneer xde looks good but is noisy even though it claims they are silent!!! :oops:
    i've had nothing but problems from clients, cost me time and money getting them refunds and returns etc etc
    there is also a problem that it does not pass the HDMI audio through the media box to analouge (digital is ok though) if you say use the audio outputs for audio in another room or pass through

Panasonics on the other hand is clean, clear and good value
    i've got the PV500B 42" & 37" in stock by 15th may maybe end of next week at the earliest if you want one give me a shout or i've got the PE50's now! :hiya:
    all the best whatever you choose
  28. NicolasB

NicolasB Active Member

Ratings:
    +574
    Somewhat off-topic :blush: but do any of you guys who are about to have 42" PV500 screens in stock know when you will have the 50" version available?
  29. Sulis

Sulis Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Equally off-topic: And also when the 37" will be icumin in?
  30. Nick

Nick Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Kevin, much appreciated :thumbsup: Can certainly wait till then...