Panasonic viera link not working

SRT

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Itried posting in the installers/installations and it was suggessted I post here or in plasma tv- -so--I have a TX42PX70 and I am just connecting up a DMREX77B to it.
I am kind of lost with the viera link as it says "feature not available" when I select the viera link on the tv handset.
What should I be looking for to get this working- - both options are activated in the tv/dvd settings menus. I guess it may be to do with the hdmi/scart setup? although these are set as in the diagrams in the manuals.Any ideas please? tia.
Stuart.

Maybe Ive fixed this? Twiddled around etc and now I get the link but as it activates the dvd recorder I get a message to "check hdmi connections" or somesuch- - The dvd is ok and on hdmi 2 so I guess its working now? Is that message normal? tia.
Stuart.

You do not need the SCART my 77 came with an HDMI just connect it to hdmi 1 and it should work.

Hi,
Tried connecting to hdmi 1 and also 2 but get a blank (grey) screen through the recorder!
This is with all scarts disconnected.
The recorder plays back dvds no problem.
Sky tv hdtv box set to hdmi 1 no problems.
hdmi cable I am using is "profigold pgv1001. (should be ok?)
Still get the check connections on screen message!
Must have something set incorrectly on the recoder? Any ideas tia.
Stuart.

See the notes in the box on page 40 of the EX75 UK manual ... under the heading of 'Preparation'.

Check you have done all that.
Especially note whether the 'HDAVI Control' matches according to which terminal you are connected.

Hi,
I should first say I am completeley dumb as I have read and re-read that section you advised to read and still cant get it!
I have an hdmi cable from sky box to hdmi1 on the tv.
I then have an hdmi cable from dvd to hdmi2 on tv.
I have set viera link to on for tv and also for dvd.
Point 3. says "set the hdavi control" on the connected equipment (eg:tv)
How do I do that?
It goes on to say "when using hdmi2 terminal of viera as "hdavi control", set the input channel to hdmi2 on viera. How do I do that?
That completely loses me!!
Can you lead me through this- - given that I have the hdmi cables where they are? :confused:tia.
Stuart.

Hi Stuart

See the notes in the TV Manual on page 67 under the heading of Viera Link 'HDAVI control'
The second last point there seems to say [ very clumsily] that if you have 2 devices connnected via HDMI, then Viera link is available only on the HDMI 1 connector.

Also, If connecting to that doesn't sort you out... then you may have to re-initialise the Viera link.

See the notes on page 83 of the EX87 manual about how to do that.

Thanks for that. I only have 52 pages on in the tv manual :)
but I see the points on page 83 of the dvd manual and will try with HDMI 1 !!
What is the "HDAVI control" is it the little box that comes up with option of device when you press the viera link?

Thanks for that. I only have 52 pages on in the tv manual :)

Hmm... I wonder if I have the right manual. I could not find anything like a TX42PX70, so I assumed that perhaps you had made an error and meant the TH42PX70.
However, even if that is the case , I would think the limitations of 'HDMI 1 Viera link when 2 devices connected' will still apply.

Is the TX correct?
EDIT Additional Just to add to the confusion - Having now checked, I see the manual I have only has 51 pages so I have no idea where I got page 67 from ! - Apologies.
The information I was referring to in the post above is in fact on page 40 of the DVDR Manual.

What is the "HDAVI control" is it the little box that comes up with option of device when you press the viera link?

I don't know. I have never seen these things at all... Exactly what is being referred to seems to depend on context.
HDAVI Control is the descriptor of the function... but Panasonic [ who developed it ] seem to use 'Viera link' as the commercial name for it.... so the terms are interchangable and really mean the same thing. It isn't very helpful!

I also note on page 40 / 41 of the TV manual I am working from, about a procedure when setting up V-link, of selecting the type of connected equipment. Did you go through such a procedure?

I'm having similar problems with Viera Link.

I have
HDMI 1 from TV to Sky HD.
HDMI 2 from TV to Panasonic DVD Cinema System.
Optical Cable from Sky HD to Panasonic DVD Cinema System.

Sometimes the viera link works and other times it doesn't.
When I press the Viera Link button the TV remote, that works OK. The only thing it won't do is switch the TV and the DVD off and on together.
What I have noticed is that it works fine until I connect the HDMI 1 to the Sky box. After that, it goes all tempremental. Could this have something to do with Sky HD connection?

Dobbo

What I have noticed is that it works fine until I connect the HDMI 1 to the Sky box. After that, it goes all tempremental. Could this have something to do with Sky HD connection?

It could well be the same issue - That when there are 2 HDMI connections, v-link only works on the 'connection with the lowest number' [ Panasonic's words!] from which I assume they mean HDMI 1.

What a weird way of expressing things - Good ol' Panasonic up to their usual manual style.

Gavtech,

Should I put the Sky HD on HDMI 2 and the DVD on HDMI 1 then?
It says in the manual that the Digital broadcast should go on HDMI 1.

This is what confuses me.

Both leads are 1.3, I was worried that the leads could be faulty but the Viera Link button when pressed tells me otherwise. (It recognises the Home Theater System).

Dobbo

Gavtech
Is the TX correct?
No its my mistake- -it is TH-42PX70B:rolleyes:
I dont see the setting up procedure but what I get just now is a definite grey screen on the dvd (which is via HDMI 1) and seems not to display the content of the sky broadcast. I only have sky fed to the tv via HDMI2 (now).
The dvd will play a dvd ok.
Will this dvd only pickup a terrestrial dvb broadcast and not record sky content? Somethings stopping the dvd picking out the sky signal?
I still get that error message though:mad:
Thanks for your help here btw.

Gavtech,

Should I put the Sky HD on HDMI 2 and the DVD on HDMI 1 then?
It says in the manual that the Digital broadcast should go on HDMI 1.

Which manual makes that stipulation? The TV manual? [ and which TV is it?]

The implementation of HDAVI Control, although bound to the standards of HDMI CEC, can be different in every device depending on what the manufacturers wish to do.
Such an arrangement does not seem all that helpful as it apparently produces difficulties like you and the OP are having.

I have heard before that this is a flakey system. This is the first time I have directly encountered the problems.

Gav,

Spoke to Sound and Vision yesterday, they told me that the viera link will not work if you have sky hd connected to the TV via HDMI as well as a Panasonic system. The sky system takes priority on HDMI.
Not too bad really as I can still work the DVD off the TV remote. The only thing it doesn't do is switch the 2 systems on and off together. A small price to pay..:)

Dobbo

Gav,

Spoke to Sound and Vision yesterday, they told me that the viera link will not work if you have sky hd connected to the TV via HDMI as well as a Panasonic system. The sky system takes priority on HDMI.
Not too bad really as I can still work the DVD off the TV remote. The only thing it doesn't do is switch the 2 systems on and off together. A small price to pay..:)

Dobbo

Thanks for that info. It will no doubt prove useful to know.

I suppose given that the HDMI system was specifically designed for the HD system it is not all that surprising that it takes priority.

At the same time ... fancy designing a system that is immediately inadequate!
I wonder what would get priority if you connected, say, a Panasonic Blu ray player to the other HDMI channel. :rolleyes:

From what I am experiencing I guess it is NOT possible to record sky content unless you have a scart connection? The HDMI makes no difference in that except playback?
I still have sky hooked to HDMI 2 and it works no problem.
The recorder is on HDMI 1 and will playback (and probably record dvb if aerial fitted).
I can start up the recorder via viera but it still wont link to the setup page for the recorder- -I only get the option for the tv setup page. Same error message though! Ive sent a mail to Panasonic for clarification.
Stuart.

As an update. Panasonic replied to say restart the units from power of at mains and this should enable the viera "handshake".
I did this but also removed the sky HDMI connection and the viera link works!!
As soon as the sky HDMI is connected the viera link fails!
Like Dobbor1 I can still control recorder/tv via their remotes and even most of the recorder controls via the tv remote- - it just wont fetch up the set up page for the recorder. Now to contact Panasonic again as this seems poor when you consider most with a plasma screen will want sky also (not for the content but HD :) ) and this just seems a silly lack of research even though you can use both remotes and some of their universal features.:confused:
Stuart

Panasonic make a big sell on the Viera Link.

all I can see it doing is control two devices from one remote and turn them off together.

If I am missing some marvel please let me know

Panasonic make a big sell on the Viera Link.

all I can see it doing is control two devices from one remote and turn them off together.

If I am missing some marvel please let me know

Your right,

The only function I cannot use with the TV remote is that the DVD player will not turn on and off at the same time as the TV. However, if you have a DVD disc in the player, when the 2 switch on together, the DVD starts to play automatically. I don't always want this to happen. I tried disconnecting the HDMI from the Sky and the Viera link worked, when I plugged it back in, switched everything off and on again, the Viera stopped working.

What I have found though when all said and done is that even though the link does not work, when you turn the TV on and then want to play a DVD, the TV remote (by pressing Viera Link, cinema,enter) will switch on the DVD player and you can switch from cimema to TV speakers and watch the DVD (SKy HD sound from the DVD system via Optical/Digital connection) with the TV remote and play the DVD with stop, skip etc functions as well.

I'll live with this I imagine.........
Panasonics advice to switch off and on does not cure the Viera problem. They need to come up with another solution. Seems a shame really as has been said, the Viera Link is a big selling point. There must be a way around it with sky connected.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated but not desperate.

Hope I have explained this properly.

Dobbo

Hi again, breaking news....

I have been speaking to Panasonic Tech help. They tell me that they are aware of this problem with the SKY HD and Viera Link clash. Apparently, the HDMI cable has a Pin 13 which sends a voltage from the SKy Box which interfears with the Viera Link. The advice is to purchase a HDMI cable with PIN 13 disconnected for the Sky Link. The Viera Link will then work.

I asked if you can buy such a cable and they said I would have to have one specially made up......what a joke....! Is it worth going to the trouble and extra expense.

Dobbo

HDAVI Control is the descriptor of the function... but Panasonic [ who developed it ] seem to use 'Viera link' as the commercial name for it.... so the terms are interchangable and really mean the same thing. It isn't very helpful!
Not quite. Viera Link is an enhanced versio of HDAVI. I have a TH-42PV60 which "only" supports HDAVI. The only function that seems to work through hdavi is the on/off switch. I.e. when you switch off the TV then the DVD/HD recorder also switches off. And vice versa when you switch the DVD recorder on then the TV also switches on and sets the correct hdmi input.

Viera link is supposedly capable of conrolling more features.

To me this is actually completely moot as I am putting an AV receiver in the middle (Onkyo 705 - hopefully next month) and I am using a function driven remote control (Harman Kardon TC30 a.k.a. Logitech Harmony) and then hdavi is of no further use.

In fact, I am not quite convinved that I want to switch the recorder off when I switch the TV off because my main purpose for the recorder is to record from my DV video camera. :cool:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom