Panasonic Viera Cast issues

Nudge, do you know where the option is in Windows Media Player? The program is terribly designed, it seems to have about 3 different "looks" and it's hard to find what you want to do within any of them!

It's no wonder Panasonic officially recommends using TwonkyMedia Server instead...

Nudge, do you know where the option is in Windows Media Player? The program is terribly designed, it seems to have about 3 different "looks" and it's hard to find what you want to do within any of them!

It's no wonder Panasonic officially recommends using TwonkyMedia Server instead...

Right click on WMP bar at the top and select:

Tools then
Options then
Library

Select: My folders and those of other that I can access

Click the Advanced button if the advanced window is not already open.

Click the Add button and browse to a folder which contains the media you want to send to the TV

Click Ok

Now you should be able to access your PC folder via your TV Media Server. But WMP must be running on the PC of course.

Thanks for the help - I don't have "My folders and those of other that I can access" though... :facepalm: I guess Microsoft have been switching it around between versions? I'm running Windows 7...

I wonder if there's a better-organised alternative?

Thanks for the help - I don't have "My folders and those of other that I can access" though... :facepalm: I guess Microsoft have been switching it around between versions? I'm running Windows 7...

I wonder if there's a better-organised alternative?

You mean in W7 you cannot browse for a folder? I cannot believe that.

Any folder will do - just make a folder in Your Documents for example. Call it My Media or something then browse for it from WMP

OIC - sorry - miss-read your reply

What version of WMP are you using?

Mine is 11.0.5721.5268

They should be independant of the OS I think.

Thanks, no luck though - all the rights folders included, but the error message is still the same. It's a Networking issue - as bleeding usual.

After selecting the PC (which appears with a Windows Media icon) on the TV, the error is:

"Connection to the server failed."

After selecting the PC (which appears with a Windows Media icon) on the TV, the error is:

"Connection to the server failed."

Ok I had the same error but I forget how I fixed at the moment.

Check that your TV IP is not blocked by your firewall, is added in your router etc.

Not sure about WMP 12 but on 11 you have to "share" your media and then select either the defaults (My Pictures,My Music,My Videos) or the folders you want to use. It is on the library tab (at the bottom when you select library).

Also, try turning the TV off at the mains and then on again (reboot). Mine (D25) takes a few seconds/moments!! to find the server.

Also, on the D25, there is a Network setup and included in that is a "Check Connection" option.

I know it is a different model, but just thought I would mention it....................
ps I tried Twonky and it was great for looking at my media on the PC but I couldn't get the Twonkybeam to stream anything either on Internet Explorer or Firefox so I gave it up and the WMP works fine to see my media (providing the file is supported !!!!) but no streaming..............

Ok I had the same error but I forget how I fixed at the moment.

Check that your TV IP is not blocked by your firewall, is added in your router etc.

Do as I do, give all your equipment a static IP. Or, in your router tell DHCP to give specific known IP's to each piece of equipment.

Turn off Winblows Firewall and get Outpost Firewall Pro for a small fee. Its is updatable free for life and is well worth the small outlay. Can be used on up to 3 machines. Ensure your network is set up correctly when you install the program. Make sure the IP of your TV is not blocked.

When you select media server, give it a few seconds to look around the network to find the media server WMP. Mine sometimes says Server not found then after a few seconds it finds it.

Also check via Tool\options\devices - that your devices are being seen in WMP.

Don't forget to configure Sharing in WMP. (Under Library)

Mine is shared with an 'Unknown Device' but when I right click on it is see the MAC address of the TV and can set up the sharing.

Thanks for the help guys, but AndrewFee showed me a solution:

ps3mediaserver - Project Hosting on Google Code

PS3 Media Server. No, you don't need a PS3 to use it, it was just originally designed for that.

I installed it, and bam - works perfectly, first time. And unlike Windows Media Player with its silly "shared folders" concepts, this one just lets you see all the drives on your computer, you can go anywhere, select what you want.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help guys, but AndrewFee showed me a solution:

ps3mediaserver - Project Hosting on Google Code

PS3 Media Server. No, you don't need a PS3 to use it, it was just originally designed for that.

I installed it, and bam - works perfectly, first time. And unlike Windows Media Player with its silly "shared folders" concepts, this one just lets you see all the drives on your computer, you can go anywhere, select what you want.

But you need a ps3?

I'm just trying it and so far althought it finds all files quickly, I have yet to be able to view any pictures or video. In the case of pictures it just says reading. Not sure about video as I only have mkv files available.

Hi all,

I got the "Please confirm clock setting" on my G20 Viera Cast a few hours ago. I am running firmware 2.4.08 and I have tested the IP connectivity of my TV with the tool provided in the menu (Network setup/Connection Test) and all looks ok. I tried to change the IP address just to make sure that it is not a network problem but i no luck.

I always get the "Please confirm clock setting" as soon as Cast starts. I am sure that 3-4 day ago Cast was working with the same version of firmware.

Any thoughts? :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Thanks

I hope that this thread hasn't run its course, but I am having similar problems to the original post in getting Viera Cast, and I'm not sure how the previous posts might help me, as they are going a bit beyond my IT know-how.

I have a Panasonic TX-P42G20B and have gone through the setting up procedure for veira using an ethernet connection, and the connection test comes up all ticks. But when I press Viera Cast the message comes up that, 'connection to the sever failed (006)'. I rang up my broadband provider, I have BT Home Hub 2, and they said that, to test the router, if I connect the ethernet cable to my laptop it will over-ride the wireless connection, so if I remain connected the internet the router and cable must be OK; it is a TV problem (I have spoke to several BT advisors, none of them knew of Viera: do any of them know their stuff?).

I rang Panasonic and they said if the connection test was OK it must be the router. I rang John Lewis, where I bought the TV. The guy there really tried to help me although he hadn't come across this problem and thought that I might need to do something to the router (neither BT nor panasonic mention this). I guess this is the problem, but don't know what would fix it. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Hello all, I originally read this thread and it gave me some hope that I could fix the issue. However, changing the connection from PPPoA to PPPoE was not an option.

Well, I've had Viera Cast on the TX-L42D25B set up and working for 5 days now without an issue.. here's a brief explanation how I did it. It's frustratingly easy but took a while to work out!

I have a Linksys wireless router and a Netgear fob. I set up everything (IP and DNS) to auto and couldn't get past the IP test. I tried the switching off router/TV and the IP/DNS settings immediately worked.. Long story short - connecting to Viera Cast was more miss than hit and the settings constantly reset. Rebooting everything every time was really not acceptable.

So I thought this has to be an issue with the 'auto' gathering of IP/DNS settings but obviously not specific to Linksys modems. So why not enter them manually?

On the Linksys device the starting IP address for 'auto' connected devices is defaulted to 192.168.1.100, subnet is 255.255.255.0 and the Local IP address is 192.168.1.1. The manual IP address could be safely set between 2 and 99. So I set up the manual settings on the Viera as follows:

Acquire IP Address: Manual
IP address: 192.168.1.50
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
Acquire DNS Address: Manual
Primary DNS: 192.168.1.1
Secondary DNS: blank

All connection tests immediately worked and the connection to TV and router has been reliable ever since. These entries may have to be adapted for specific brands of router. Some use 192.168.0.*, for example. Also, you may have to reserve a specific IP address within your router's admin.

Thank you for the initial ideas that led to me cracking my particular connection problem.

Thanks,
Kia

Last edited:
I have exactly the same problem. Have you found a solution yet?

My P42G20B also passed connection test with everything ticks; it can also see other shared PCs on the same LAN, and can run media server contents. However, it seems to me the TV is limited within the house. I tried two different routers; with a Dynamode modem/router the error is 'connection to the sever failed (006) when using viera cast; with a netgear DG834GT modem/router, the error is 'connection to the sever failed (008). I also tried manually IP/DNS setup, none of them worked. Can somebody help?

I hope that this thread hasn't run its course, but I am having similar problems to the original post in getting Viera Cast, and I'm not sure how the previous posts might help me, as they are going a bit beyond my IT know-how.

I have a Panasonic TX-P42G20B and have gone through the setting up procedure for veira using an ethernet connection, and the connection test comes up all ticks. But when I press Viera Cast the message comes up that, 'connection to the sever failed (006)'. I rang up my broadband provider, I have BT Home Hub 2, and they said that, to test the router, if I connect the ethernet cable to my laptop it will over-ride the wireless connection, so if I remain connected the internet the router and cable must be OK; it is a TV problem (I have spoke to several BT advisors, none of them knew of Viera: do any of them know their stuff?).

I rang Panasonic and they said if the connection test was OK it must be the router. I rang John Lewis, where I bought the TV. The guy there really tried to help me although he hadn't come across this problem and thought that I might need to do something to the router (neither BT nor panasonic mention this). I guess this is the problem, but don't know what would fix it. Any suggestions?

The reason why I was getting a 008 error turned out to be incorrect DNS settings. As soon as I manually set the routers IP as DNS the 008 error dissapeared.

I did not have any success with the manual setting that folks provided. I finally was able to get things working by changing the router security method to WPA instead of WEP. I left the IP and DNS settings to automatic. Not sure why WEP would not work. Hopefully it will work for some other folks.

With some ISPs it is not possible to change to WPA from WEP. I'm with Pipex, now Opal and it's simply a no, no.

My gut feeling is it has to be a router/gateway issue. It's just I managed to find a workaround for the Linksys WAG120N. Considering Netgear have a deal with Panasonic maybe its a conspiracy to get people to buy shiny new Netgear gateways. I nearly did...

I thought the WPA, WEP security settings were only related to wireless communication. If the TV is connected to the router through ethernet, other security settings may need to be changed. I am wondering if you can share your workaround for the Linksys WAG120N? Disable the firewall? what about NAT, MTU settings?

With some ISPs it is not possible to change to WPA from WEP. I'm with Pipex, now Opal and it's simply a no, no.

My gut feeling is it has to be a router/gateway issue. It's just I managed to find a workaround for the Linksys WAG120N. Considering Netgear have a deal with Panasonic maybe its a conspiracy to get people to buy shiny new Netgear gateways. I nearly did...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom