Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic Viera Cast issues

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by adrianlondon, Sep 23, 2009.

1. adrianlondon

adrianlondon Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I've just bought a Panasonic LCD TV, the TX-L37V10B.

I believe I've set everything up properly but the Vieracast connection doesn't work. I always get "Connection to the server failed.(002)" popping up after a minute or so.

In the menu I've set up the network correctly and the network connection test works. The Vieracast connection test there works some of the time. The firmware update option there always returns "Server is busy, please try later" after a delay.

Im pretty sure everything's OK with the TV's connection to my router, as I installed Twonkymedia on my laptop and that works - I can see photos and videos on my TV being streamed from the laptop.

I called Panasonic who were very friendly and helpful. We went through some questions and did a full reset (from the main menu - nothing secret) and it still fails. They suggested the TV could be faulty.

I called John Lewis and they're arranging to swap the TV for another one.

It seems such a shame, as the TV is otherwise perfect. Anyone have any ideas? As I say, the connection to the router must work as it sees the media server on my laptop without any issue.

Also, at a tangent, I also asked the Panasonic guy why I can get freesat but no hotbird channels, despite there being both satellites on the roof of this apartment block. The reason? UK sets don't have DiSEqC so can't switch satellite feeds down the single cable. European (non-UK) sets do - model V10E whereas mine is V10B - but he said if I bought that the freeview wouldn't work and Freesat probably wouldn't work either.
  2. EscapeKey

EscapeKey Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, any news on this? I just bought a P42G15B and can't get it to work. When I bring up Viera Cast, it asks me to confirm the current time, but gives me no option to actually fill it in - only exit to the main screen. Updating the firmware yields a "can't connect to server" or similar.
  3. adrianlondon

adrianlondon Member

Ratings:
    +1
    My replacement TV arrives tomorrow. Athough I hope it was a simple hardware issue, I'm finding it hard to believe everything else works (including media server streaming to the TV) and the Viera Cast doesn't.

In other words I'm expecting my new TV to also fail. If that is the case my first plan is to take it to my neighbours and try it there (different router, different broadband supplier). My second plan is to ring Panasonic again. I'll let you know how I get on!

UPDATE

Replacement TV arrived. Identical fault. Can't connect to Viera Cast (although the test under "Link Settings" always works) and can't update/check the firmware.

Either there's a faulty batch or something's up with my router blocking the access, or Oracle Broadband doing the same. As Panasonic won't tell me anything about Viera Cast (i.e. where it connects to or over which port) there's not much I can do except try the TV at my neighbour's house and see if their set up (Virgin Broadband) works before calling Panasonic again.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  4. adrianlondon

adrianlondon Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Right - getting somewhere. Took my TV to my neighbours (luckily I live in an apartment block so it's not far), connected it to their router and ... everything worked.

I pressed Viera Cast and after updating my firmware it all loaded perfectly. Brought the TV back home and still doesn't work.

So, it's definitely one of the following: Orange Broadband or the router.

Just to re-iterate, it gets an IP address, I can ping it from my laptop, and Twonkymedia on my laptop can happily send photos and video to the TV. So the local network is all perfect. Either my router, or Orange, is somehow blocking access to the Vieracast portal, wherever and whatever that is.

I've tried the obvious (I never have uPNP turned on, and I tried disabling the router's firewall) and still nothing. I guess the next step is to try a different ADSL router, but I don't have one.

I'll call Panasonic in a couple of days and let them know. I might also let them know that the TV I've just returned probably has no fault at all. But it was Panasonic on the phone who initially said the TV might be faulty so I feel no guilt about swapping it ;)
  5. adrianlondon

adrianlondon Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Tried a new ADSL router and it worked perfectly. So it's my Belkin router causing the issues. Odd, as I even tried putting the TV's IP address in the DMZ, which should circumvent any firewall or NAT issues.

For any of you out there having issues with Viera Cast and who have a Belkin router (my specific model is F5D7633-4; around two or three years old) this could be your issue.

Anyway, I'VE FIXED IT!!

I like to think of myself of an IT expert so the fact I'd narrowed the problem down to the router meant I could focus my mind.

Anyway, I changed the way it connects to Orange broadband from PPPoA to PPPoE (which also changes the encapsulation from vc/mux to llc) and now it works. Oddly, I've been using PPPoA for at least three years with no other issues.
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  6. EMG

EMG Member

Ratings:
    +1
    According to my firewall logs, the VieraCast firmware update used destination TCP ports 48705 and 443 (https), so they need to be open in the outgoing direction on your firewall/router. This may be North America-specific, maybe not.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Badders44

Badders44 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    > I always get "Connection to the server failed.(002)" popping up after a minute or so.

Bugger! I've just bought the same TV and have the same issues.

Also, Vierra Cast comes up with "Please confirm Clock Settings"... whatever that means. Another thread on this forum suggests enabling Freesat but thats not an option.

I'm in the UK and on Virginmedia cable for V+ TV and 20M broadband. The network setup says I've an IP, Twonky works, but no joy with any connection to the internet.

Did you say you replaced the Belkin router? If so, with what? or did you just reconfigure it?

I'm running a couple of wireless Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 routers with Tomato firmware and WDS to connect the two together.

My firmware version is 2204. What's the latest and is there any other way to download it?

I'm reassured it's not the TV but any help gratefully recieved.

Thanks
  8. adrianlondon

adrianlondon Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Latest firmware is 2.212

I didn't change the router, I changed the way it connects to the internet (i.e. Orange broadband) from PPPoA to PPPoE.

Try also changing your MTU settings on the router as I believe this is the likely culprit. However, you're using Cable not ADSL so I'm not sure how that's configured. My neighbour uses Virgin and when I tested my TV there it worked perfecty first time.

Try plugging the ethernet cabe from your TV to your Cable modem directly.
  9. Badders44

Badders44 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Wow - that was quick :) Many thanks adrian for the fast response.

> Try plugging the ethernet cabe from your TV to your Cable modem directly

I'll give this a try - I'm intrigued to know why it's not working.

UPDATE: Success - it's working now. The TV had never been switched off since I bought it (using the red button to put it into standby). This included the network link setup. So, I thought, how about turning it off and on :oops: and guess what - it's working now.

Sorry for being such a divvy :blush:.

Maybe this was the reason for your issue.
  10. adrianlondon

adrianlondon Member

Ratings:
    +1
    My TV was turned on and off many times. I'm an IT consultant, that's the first, second and third thing I always try ;)
  11. Badders44

Badders44 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    > I'm an IT Consultant

The embarrasing thing is - so am I. (obviously not a very good one...)

12. garyavuk

garyavuk Member

Ratings:
    +0
    badders

but your an honest one :D

glad your sorted

i'm just reading up on this vierra cast but thru a blu ray player

need to find out how many sites (3 or 4 ?) it allows

anyway

happy new year to all
  13. WellWhoKnows

WellWhoKnows Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I also have discovered problems with a Belkin N1 and connecting the Plasma. If I connect direct to my cable modem then there are no problems, when connected to my Belkin I have a lot of difficulty with connecting to Viera Cast. I have added the TV to the DMZ to try and avoid any firewall errors but with no sucess.

Has anyone had any success in getting around the N1?
  14. Badders44

Badders44 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Viera Cast does seem abit flakey. It still sometimes comes up with a 'DNS' error when trying to use it. Usually, in this case, the second or third time it works.

I updated the firmware to the latest version on the TV as soon as I got a connection.

I gave the TV a Static IP Address in the router, rebooted the router, turned the TV off and on and it worked.

I didn't need to DMZ it.

Does the TwonkyMedia Server work? If so, it's just the connection to the Internet which isn't working.

Sorry I can't help more - let me know how you get on.
  15. WellWhoKnows

WellWhoKnows Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Badders, I played around with the static settings option and finally things have worked, thank you for your suggestion and for driving me on to do it rather than just to forget about the functionality.
  16. WellWhoKnows

WellWhoKnows Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ..and yes the Twonk server is working now
  17. WellWhoKnows

WellWhoKnows Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Myself and my partner are unable to log in to our Youtube accounts via Viera Cast, has anyone had similar problems and/or found a solution?
  18. WellWhoKnows

WellWhoKnows Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Resolved, using just the nickname and not the full email address works
  19. andyxsheppard

andyxsheppard Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all,
    I've got Viera Cast working on my V10 and it's also on my home cinema BT200. A few issues/questions have come up, just wondered if anyone else has any thoughts:
    1) Why is the Viera Cast offering on the TV different to the home cinema - TV has EuroSport and Home Cinema does not. Surely they should be consistent
    2) When I go into youTube on the TV, the sound does not work straight away (sound is via home cinema). If I then go into Picasa photo app I get sound. When I then go back into YouTube, sound is OK. Is this a bug?
    3) Anyone know when Iplayer and other things will be available? Apparently they have a lot more in the U.S
    4) Does anyone know a way of connecting both the TV and Home cinema to share the internet connection. i am using a D-Link Powerline home plug.

Many thanks
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  20. apste

apste Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Really pleased to have found this great thread after purchasing a new Panasonic G25 online. Set up went smoothly UNTIL setting up Vieracast. Even though the TV said "Vieracast Software is up to date" it required a software update check that kept timing out after 75%.

Turns out the Router settings (Cable MSO backend) are to blame here as others have found. I have a D-Link router similar to the other SOHO routers everyone has mentioned. By punching in the TCP Ports and that EMG noted in Post #7 it WORKED perfectly.

Well done everyone and thanks again. Now to get more channels added to Vieracast ...
  21. fmonaghan

fmonaghan Member

Ratings:
    +0

I had a similar problem with my 50V10 . I found out from this forum that turning the Beep to ON in the Vieracast Setup Menu resolved this issue, so obviously a dodgy SW bug ..
  22. makem

makem Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I tried the nickname and the full email address - both did not work. Yet I can login to YouTube from a pc with the nickname. Even reset my password to see if this had any effect.

Anybody any further ideas on how to login to YouTube from Viera Cast?
  23. Inti31

Inti31 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe a news...
    I got my Panasonic TX-L37V10E back (took a week to get a new panel - great support by Panasonic by the way).
    By configuring everything new I saw that the fimware is now 2.214 (2214-10000, listed under system information)

greets Inti31
  24. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie New Member

Ratings:
    +1,459
    Sorry to bump an old thread, but I just got a G20 PDP and everything works EXCEPT "Media Server". I can see both computers on the network but both give the message, "Connection to the server failed." when I try to access them.

The TV is connected to a Linksys router, and onto the two machines.

I hate, hate, hate networking for this reason. It just never works properly out of the box!
  25. nudge

nudge Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Maybe not the same thing i had as it was a while ago,but i seem to remember getting this error when i first tried media server.
    Turned out i had not been into media player on the pc i was trying to see and set the streaming/media sharing option in media player. as soon as i did this all was well.
  26. David Mackenzie

Ratings:
    +1,459
    Nudge, do you know where the option is in Windows Media Player? The program is terribly designed, it seems to have about 3 different "looks" and it's hard to find what you want to do within any of them!

It's no wonder Panasonic officially recommends using TwonkyMedia Server instead...
  27. makem

makem Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Right click on WMP bar at the top and select:

Tools then
    Options then
    Library

Select: My folders and those of other that I can access

Click the Advanced button if the advanced window is not already open.

Click the Add button and browse to a folder which contains the media you want to send to the TV

Click Ok

Now you should be able to access your PC folder via your TV Media Server. But WMP must be running on the PC of course.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  28. David Mackenzie

Ratings:
    +1,459
    Thanks for the help - I don't have "My folders and those of other that I can access" though... :facepalm: I guess Microsoft have been switching it around between versions? I'm running Windows 7...

I wonder if there's a better-organised alternative?
  29. makem

makem Member

Ratings:
    +2
    You mean in W7 you cannot browse for a folder? I cannot believe that.

Any folder will do - just make a folder in Your Documents for example. Call it My Media or something then browse for it from WMP

OIC - sorry - miss-read your reply
  30. makem

makem Member

Ratings:
    +2
    What version of WMP are you using?

Mine is 11.0.5721.5268

They should be independant of the OS I think.