Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic V20 info/reviews/owners thread *Part 5*

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Curly99, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Spencem

Spencem Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I would speak to your local trading standards department. It sounds to me like a clear cut case of faulty goods to me and you are within your rights to demand a refund.

If you purchased on a credit card then give them a call and tell them you are claiming under your Section 75 rights. Always amusing to set Visa's legal department on some muppet of a shop manager who is trying to ignore the law of the land.
  2. stevew117

stevew117 Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Legally I don't know what the situation is, but when a Panasonic engineer tells you that the shop should be taking more action then you know something must really be amiss! If they're going to give you another set in the meantime (of equivalent quality) then that might be reasonable - but they could just bung you a shop display set, not something you would want to keep if they couldn't locate your fault.

If it was me I would expect them to give me a replacement or refund if I was not happy - whether they could detect the fault or not. These things tend to be slightly subjective, or intermittent as you say. Just be firm and don't let them off the hook.

I have been in the position of buying a TV from a big chain store, it tends to be a false economy. My V20 was bought from a local hi-fi shop that I am on good terms with and I knew that if anything was wrong they would support me. I know that doesn't help you now. :)
  3. Scooby2000

Scooby2000 Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,436
    Bad news mate sorry to hear that, not a total shock though.:rolleyes:

My retailer replaced my first set "out of good will" stupidly whilst looking for a deal I purchased my set about 160 miles away near my partners mums:facepalm: wont be doing that again.
    Anyway I took my first set back and didnt test the new one thinking it was a one off issue :facepalm: got the second set all the way home and it was worse. I rang the store and this time he didn't want to know, apparently as my other set was fine(my ass it was) they used it for a display, but they wouldnt be able to return this set as Panasonic wouldn't give them a refund as it wasn't faulty "by all means bring it up sir but I don't think we'll be able to exchange it if its like the last one". So I rang Panasonic and they offered a repair, being the fool I am I went along with it.

Though the local pany guy thought my set was no louder than the ones they sell, he replaced the power supply:confused:. This did help for a while but its back to how it was now. Got the same guy that came out last time to see my set a few weeks back and apparently he cant even hear a buzz from my set!:suicide:

I contacted Panasonic again and they suggested getting another engineer out. I haven't done this yet as I'm busy trying to find a job and deal with crp I wont go into. I know what will happen though, they wont be able to hear it ether:rolleyes:

One side of me is like fk it just put up with it, but the other side of me is like *** I spent a lot of money on this set why should I put up with it?!

Anyway not sure I have the energy, may ring the dealer again but cant see them doing anything, so should have bought local :facepalm:

Sorry I went on a bit, I hope you have more luck and are in a better position to fight than me, it is quite a sickening place to be so you have my sympathies.
  4. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley Member

Ratings:
    +136
    Cheers - I can tell you understand what I am going through! Reading what's happened to you is appalling and my opinions of Pansonic, as a company, have taken a severe nosedive.

The shop manager did say in an email it would be helpful if I could capture the screen dimming issue on video. Now bearing in mind just how new the set is, I shouldn't have to be f@@king about with a video camera waiting for the fault to happen - however - luckily tonight it did happen - I didn't of course capture this happening (who the hell is gonna sit there with a video camera pointed at the screen for potentially hours on end????) but I did then film the "dim screen" and showed me turning the set on and off again - then the screen is back to full brightness again - so this is on tape...

However, I am really not happy about letting it go to the showroom (it's a small local dealer, so not the likes of Currys or Comets) whereby it will be run non stop for the shop staff to try and view the fault... Being in the showroom, to me, means that potentially, any old "Tom, Dick or Harry" could come up and start fiddling with it, as they're hardly likely to have it out the back, as of course, they are saying they need to see the fault..

To me, it's really just not on and in the interests of good customer relations etc I feel that they should just replace the set - or - as I would now rather - provide me with a refund....

We'll see what happens.....

Why, oh why, with everything else that goes on in life and needs sorting out etc and taking priority..does this have to be such a stupid battle?
  5. tsmiggy

tsmiggy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Right i have managed to lift off my mamouth Sony CRT and fired up the V20.A couple of questions........... what all this divx VOD about,and i did try to AVI and it said file not supported....what files does it actually support.

Now thats not bad hey only two questions lol
  6. janeko

janeko Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone has ideas :lease:

I've emailed Panasonic cs -- got back a rather silly and not helpful reply.

There are three components here: Freesat feed, Internet connection and the set itself. All three are working for all other purposes ... an idea how to diagnose what is really going on???
    ps. I get the same message when tuning to Freesat info channel and pressing the red button.
  7. pictobug

pictobug Member

Ratings:
    +1
    *Bump*

Anyone?
  8. Inferno

Inferno Active Member

Ratings:
    +810
    No you cant do anything about the adverts and the View or timer Programming cant be changed either.
  9. toodeep

toodeep Member

Ratings:
    +197
    The user interface is variously poor and the only solution is to not use the Panasonic guide. Give THX mode a try though.
  10. ezzony

ezzony Member

Ratings:
    +1
    The longer I have this TV the more purple I see in it it fact anything that should be white like teeth clouds etc is tinged with purple it's like there is a purple filter on the front of the screen. I never seem to have any luck with my panny tv's ..I don't think it's just a minor issue like floating blacks :(...hmm what to do!?
  11. welshtommo

welshtommo Member

Ratings:
    +180
    Have you tried a calibration of any sort?
  12. stevew117

stevew117 Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Do you mean the edges of white objects are purple, or the objects themselves? Does it happen for all sources?
  13. ezzony

ezzony Member

Ratings:
    +1
    @welshtomo ... no not professional calibration, I have used some settings I found somewhere I found online I don't recall where ,possibly here - and in any case the purple is there all the time regardless of how any of the settings are changed....

@steve117...id say it's more round the edges but all affected....and yes it exists on all sources , DVBS , DVBT, HTPC via HDMI......
  14. Mo Better Blues

Mo Better Blues Member

Ratings:
    +101
    When I purchased my very 1st surround system, way back ancient times, I placed it too close to my CRT TV and ended up with a purple tint all along the bottom of the picture.
    To cut a very long and boring story short, the unit was too close to the TV because there was no magnetic shielding.

Therefore could your problem be related to magnetic shielding or lack of?

Just a thought.
  15. stevew117

stevew117 Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Have you tried the advanced colour settings? You can push the RGB values around this way. You may have either too much R&B or not enough G. ;)

Fast-moving white areas on plasma can cause brief flashes of yellow/purple around the edges but that does not sound like what you are seeing.

Starting to sound like a hardware fault to me. Time to call out an engineer...
  16. mkel78

mkel78 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Had my V20 delivered today, I have to say and absolutely top notch service from Peter Tyson. A high recommendation for them.

Fired up the set. First impressions this set blows any LCD out of the water, i cannot believe the amount of detail I have been missing.
    Anyway set was fine until I mounted on the wall then it started buzzing very loudly.
    Put my hand on the back of set and pushed near the fans. The buzzing stopped. Took my hand away and the buzz was gone. The fans were still spinning. I guess the buzz is the resonance of the fans on the back of the set and additional resonance through my tv bracket. I'm hoping that this is the last I hear of the buzz, as it was very annoying.
  17. stevew117

stevew117 Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Seems pretty normal for "fan-enabled" items (e.g. PCs, PS3s etc.) to start off a bit noisy and settle down, presumably as the bearings "bed in" a bit. Hope you don't hear anything else untowards and enjoy the V20. :)

Read the rest of this thread for advice about setting up etc. Or don't, if you don't want to hear what can go wrong with them... ;)
  18. tsmiggy

tsmiggy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I think this tv is stunning,but needless to say there are always questions to be asked of those,who have had it longer than me.So i am thinking of connecting a Hard Drive,but i have already tried a stick without success,so is there definately a hard drive that will work with this beast,so that i can purchase the correct one.

cheers:)
  19. anyuser

anyuser Member

Ratings:
    +3
    i think it has to be 160gb minimum.
  20. Inferno

Inferno Active Member

Ratings:
    +810
    Most will work mate just be sure its formatted or the tv wont recognise its there, once it knows the tv will reformat it with its own.

And as above has to be 160gb minimum.
  21. mvf4

mvf4 Member

Ratings:
    +29
    Anyone else got a message about a new software version 2.703? I know my TV's only maybe 3 weeks old but did the update to what I thought was the last update about aweek and a half ago so I'm guessing this is new? Not installed yet as I've not got time to wait at the minute, anyone else notice any difference?
  22. ronanmagee

ronanmagee Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yup, got mine about 3 weeks ago, turned it on tonight and a new version is available. Downloading it now, thou taking longer than the 40 mins it promised!
  23. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley Member

Ratings:
    +136
    I'm downloading this now, mine was 2.702...

Anyone know what the purpose of this is? What does it do? Anything?!
  24. mvf4

mvf4 Member

Ratings:
    +29
  25. Scooby2000

Scooby2000 Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,436
    Status codes, what do they mean? is there a code list or are these just blurb?:)
  26. rm010

rm010 Member

Ratings:
    +11
    I would think just about any HDD would work. I have a 1TB connected via an Icy Box which allows me to swap it out for a replacement any time. It can't be NTFS formatted, so I did it with exFAT which seems to work absolutely fine. I would think that a USB stick has to be FAT32 or exFAT formatted before the TV can read it. Suggest you get the latest firmware just to be sure.
  27. pigsnhuds

pigsnhuds Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks
    Recently purchased a VT20 50", pretty happy with my purchase so far, I have not fiddled much with the settings as yet but am thinking about it now.
    I am probably being pretty thick here but I have been looking at other people's settings and they are posting contast, brughtness etc in numbers but I can only see a slider scale, I have seen videos on You Tube of people on the menu's with numbers at the right but I cannot seem to access this.
    Any help for a thicko would be appreciated.
  28. pigsnhuds

pigsnhuds Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, I have posted in the wrong thread, have moved it to the correct one, told you I was thick !!!
  29. mkel78

mkel78 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Had my V20 for nealy a week now, have noticed quite a few strange picture issues. Posterization especially. I'm hoping this will settle town as the set beds in?
  30. dudeonline

dudeonline Member

Ratings:
    +122
    Is this on SD broadcasts? That's where I have seen it. Fine on HD which I watch mostly anyway. Is this more about the amount of data in an SD broadcast?