1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TX-L32E30B / L37E30B / L42E30B Owners Thread

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by spirited, Jul 4, 2011.

1. HaRd2BeAr

HaRd2BeAr Active Member

Ratings:
    +685
    I know it wasn't ;)

Thank you pdavis44 :)

I love technology the more in depth the better and get on my families nerves lol as
    they are not really bothered about these things so glad i can be of help
    to someone. :smashin:
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  2. pdavis44

pdavis44 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I'm the same.
    No one is that bothered apart from my father in law who has a 4-5 yr old Pioneer 46" plasma.
    I bet as soon as he sees my panny he will go out and buy the 42" . He's like that.
    But im gunna chat him up to get hold of some really hi quality scart cabels that I know he bought as he wont have a need for them anymore as all his kit is HDMI connected. until my HUmax dies for the last time I cant justify the Freeview HD version at £250 with HDMI so ill see what differnece that makes to the recored programs.
  3. HaRd2BeAr

HaRd2BeAr Active Member

Ratings:
    +685
    Nice to find this forum where people really care :)

Can't you use a usb stick for the freeview recorder in the Panasonic
    (i haven't really researched the recording part a whole lot lol).
  4. lds1

lds1 Member

Ratings:
    +32
    As far as I know the minimum size for the hdd for recording is 160GB.

Cheers.
  5. tom41

tom41 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Aaron, thanks for your reply, how does "but its CCFL backlit instead of led edge lit and its 50hz " which you mentioned compared to the TX-L3730B model and is there any advantage in it

thanks
  6. HaRd2BeAr

HaRd2BeAr Active Member

Ratings:
    +685
    CCFL meaning (cold cathode fluorescent lamps) or led edge lit meaning
    (Light-emitting diode) The ccfl lit lcd will be more uniform as its bulbs running
    across the back of the lcd panel the led lit lcd is lit around the edges or
    top and bottom in this case and uses a sheet to evenly disperse the light
    but it won't be 100% perfect so the ccfl wins here.

50hz meaning it doesn't have the 200hz of the E30 (100hz plus backlight
    scanning making up the 100hz so a little bit of marketing gimmick from Panasonic
    here on the 200hz part)

Im not 100% certain on how the 100hz work some say you can turn it
    of other say even if you turn IFC off (Panasonics Intelligent Frame Creation)
    its still 100hz some say its not. The bit i do know is its the Same lcd panel
    as the E30 so will have the same pixel response and maybe slightly better
    viewing angle due to the E30 being edge lit and uniformity issues i mentioned
    before ie were you go of centre and one side will have a glow.

See this review of the Panasonic DT30 here (the E30 bigger brother)
    scroll down to 2D picture and look at the picture.

AVForums.com - Panasonic DT30 (TX-L37DT30B) 3D LED LCD Review

Aaron
  7. gypsy182

gypsy182 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Further update on the DLNA playback feature...

Whilst MKVs have worked quite consistently, I'm now finding a number of AVI files (that playback fine on other devices) suffer from awful artefacts that make them unwatchable. It appears that the Panasonic TV is just a bit too sensitive to certain AVI files indexes' being out of sync. You can cure this by running DivFix (but strangely not DivFix++) on the file, which reindexes it, and then the file plays correctly on the TV.

I find it this quite annoying and hope Panasonic attempt to fix this in their firmware.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. youngdave

youngdave Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a new panny l32e30b which, in a lot of respects is great. however, trying to get a consistent quality is proving a little difficult and hopefully someone may be able to help me. my main gripe is when i am watching "quality" programmes like Emmerdale and Corrie - is it my settings or have they forgotten to switch on the lights? apart from the outside scenes the indoor ones look very dark. if any one can help me with the settings i would be very grateful. Oddly, I can hardly tell the difference between HD and just digital which surprised me a little. look forward to a reply.
  9. HaRd2BeAr

HaRd2BeAr Active Member

Ratings:
    +685
    Make sure the energy saving features are off (not sure what is called
    maybe light sensor?) make sure the tv is in cinema picture mode or
    standard if you prefer, up the contrast setting slighlty as this adjusts
    the backlight as well.

BTW just a guess with light sensor but as the room gets darker the tv will
    with this setting on might be called CATS? contrast auto tracking system
    not 100% sure sorry.

Aaron
  10. youngdave

youngdave Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply - i have set the contrast at almost max along with the brightness - tv set to normal in most situations (no dynamic etc) its just weird that the soaps ar affected - been fiddling with settings for ages - looks like i might have to settle for gloomy soaps!:confused:
  11. HaRd2BeAr

HaRd2BeAr Active Member

Ratings:
    +685
    No worries:)

Are you sure you have turned all the energy saving features off?

Watched the soaps tonight :blush: wouldn't say they were bright.

BTW dynamic isn't the answer it is the worst setting on any tv and over
    saturates the image.

Maybe an owner can help you out more, the setting might be in setup,
    not picture mode, should be under energy have a look Panasonic's are led lit lcds
    are known for being very bright. Never heard of anyone saying that there dull.

Aaron
  12. albani

albani Member

Ratings:
    +35
    Hi

I got 37E30E(EU model)

-There is no "Backlight" control its shame!!
    you only manage by Brightness control!

-In advanced menu it doesnt have White Balance&Gamma controls as well!!!bull-****

-As generally HD looks very good but SDs suck!!(where low bitrate or lower quality such SDs even bad!
    (I tried SDs by Humax2000/Kathrein912 now I''ll try referance Humax5400 too!!)

-Default settings;Cinema/TrueCinema almost fine

-Blacks OK(even a IPS panel) BUT black-details/depth/shadowing is not good!!at least its not satisfy me
    and I do not recommend for "Movie" watch
    But in SD&HDTV streams media quite well

I use this unit in my dinning room for general TV watch

++
    As it seems that w'v to access to SM in order to set some off values!!

Bye++
  13. youngdave

youngdave Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Hard2bear, sorry it took awhile to respond, i was waiting for the gllomy soaps! You were right, again, with the energy settings! I have now switched off the eco mode and its now loads better - pity the soaps aren't!!!

I have to say this set is ace, the sound is great and the normal channels are just about as good in HD bearing in mind i'm only on a normal arial in the loft. Now I have the setings to my satisfaction i would recommend this set. there are other features that i haven't explored yet but will get round to someday.

I tried getting one from Amazon at just under £500, however, it was delivered, on its side in the back of a Golf, and i decided to send it back unopened. I then ordered one from Tesco which i collected myself and kept upright.

One of the main reasons i used both is that their returns policies are great - no questions asked, which is very helpful as i had returned 2 other sets due to them being poor.

Once again, thanks for your help.
  14. HaRd2BeAr

HaRd2BeAr Active Member

Ratings:
    +685
    No worries mate :)

Glad your enjoying it now :thumbsup:

Aaron
  15. smallblueplanet

smallblueplanet Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking about getting a TX-L37E30B but really want a 5yr warranty as its a lot of dosh to pay out. I've never tried getting a 'price match' with John Lewis, how does it work, do I have to be in a shop or will they do it over the phone?
  16. HaRd2BeAr

HaRd2BeAr Active Member

Ratings:
    +685
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. smallblueplanet

smallblueplanet Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. :) I saw the form but wasn't sure if it'd be easier to talk to someone directly? It says their 5yr warranty is free but they talk about comparing 'delivery & warranty' terms on their price match info.

Edit - just rung them, have to fill in the form & send it to the dept who deals with price matching. Fingers crossed...
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  18. lds1

lds1 Member

Ratings:
    +32
    I visited the Trafford JL store to buy a TX-L37E30B which was listed at £749. I asked them to price match the Panastore in Leeds who had it at £599 which they did after phoning the Panastore to verify,I brought it home with me. The 5year guarantee is free at JL with all tv's. at the time Panasonic were giving a 5year free guarantee. You were supposed to trade in any tv at Panastore to qualify for £599 price and gurantee but I didn't have to bother with all that at JL.

Have Fun.

Laurie.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. youngdave

youngdave Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i was hoping to get it at JL but was told they don't compare with online deals -looks like i may have been told a little porkie! having said that I am happy with my purchase from tescos even though its only 12 months warranty, i guess i could purchase a warranty but i will take a chance as the build quality is excellent. By the time i get my tesco points and card discount it brings the price down to about £510, compared to JL £649 with a free warranty.
  20. Squirrel25

Squirrel25 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I bought a TX-L42E30 from JL in May. At the time, the JL price was 899 and I requested a price match with Richer Sounds which I think was about 770 incl delivery & 5yr warranty. JL excluded the warranty so I got a match for 705. When I went to order, the JL price had dropped to 799, but the price match was still better so I went ahead. Before delivery, the JL price dropped again to about 650 and when I asked they agreed to match their own new price - fantastic ! However, the JL price has since gone back up.

On a different matter, I've become aware of a viewing angle problem with my set. The spec says it is 178 degrees horizontal and vertical. That equates to almost 90 degrees from the perpendicular in any direction. However, I find that if I move to a relatively small angle horizontally (say 30-40 deg from perp), then stand up so that my eyes are above the middle of the screen, the contrast drops considerably, blacks become milky and the colours become very soft and pale. This affects the whole screen, so it doesn't sound like the 'bleeding' problem others have seen at the bottom of the screen. If I lower my head back near midline everything is fine.

Before buying the set, I had compared viewing angles with other sets in the shops, and I thought the panasonic was the best, and I never noticed any issues with vertical viewing angle.

I wasn't aware of the problem when I got my set at first, but we were still on analog at that time. However, now that I'm aware of it, it is very annoying.

Has anyone else seen this, or know if it is likely to be a fault in my set or a design problem ?
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  21. HaRd2BeAr

HaRd2BeAr Active Member

Ratings:
    +685
    Its a common issue with edge lit lcds and any lcd to be honest. In a shop environment the issue wont be so severe as the store lights etc will ask it, also the set will be in what's known as shop mode or dynamic mode so will be over saturated. Long storey short its not a fault with your set and the only way to get really good viewing angles is to go with plasma.

Unfortunately the viewing angle number is always massively inflated and unrealistic figures are used by the manufacture.

Aaron
  22. Squirrel25

Squirrel25 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the quick reply Aaron. Strangely I compared a P42GT30 alongside the E30 and the plasma showed this very same problem. The plasma was perhaps a foot or so lower on the display stand and I had to stoop to get rid of the effect. That was one of the reasons I chose the E30 over the GT30.

As I say, maybe it's like an itch and seems worse now that I've become aware of it.
  23. HaRd2BeAr

HaRd2BeAr Active Member

Ratings:
    +685
    No worries ;)

Its because of the filter used on the GT30 to help with plasma's inherent weakness in maintaining a decent picture in bright environments and only affects the image if viewed from above, something most people don't do when watching tv, so not generally an issue. The horizontal viewing angle however is very good on the GT30.

Aaron
  24. smallblueplanet

smallblueplanet Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting about viewing angles. One of the reasons I decided I'd like to buy a L37E30B was because I'd read that the panel type used had better viewing angles than the (much cheaper & very different) Toshiba 40" I was thinking about getting. Whilst the tv won't be watched from 'extreme' angles it won't be watched from front on - am I wrong in thinking the Panny panel will be better to watch than others? The set will be across the corner of a room and the 'views' will be along the walls opposite to that corners walls (if you see what I mean?).

Not heard from JL about price match yet ... thanks for all the help so far though. :)
  25. Squirrel25

Squirrel25 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Your arrangement is very similar to my own. When viewing from a seated position, the picture is fine, and the problem I described is only present when standing and at a point close to the adjacent corner. I have to say that when comparing viewing angles on various sets I saw in the shops, the panasonic was by far the best.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  26. HaRd2BeAr

HaRd2BeAr Active Member

Ratings:
    +685
    No worries :)

The Toshiba will use a VA panel type so will suffer from of axis colour shift, the Panasonic wont. The Panasonics weakest area is from above as you will see the led array in the lower left and right corner but if sitting it won't be as apparent, as i said plasma is the best for viewing angles.

Aaron
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  27. nenito2k

nenito2k Member

Ratings:
    +56
    hi all...was very interested in getting this SET but after reading your reviews...nope that won't do for me.
    CAN any of you tell me if this TV has better image than the 2009 model 37V10 LCD ?
    remember that TV @ 1200£ ??? i am asking coz where i live they are still available and at that time i think there were very good.

I remember a post from a senior member saying that panasonic never managed to produce a better LCD than the LZD85 and V10 models...maybe that is right !?
  28. smallblueplanet

smallblueplanet Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just had an email saying JL will price match RS at £559.95 - so I'll ring up an order after a cuppa! :)
  29. smallblueplanet

smallblueplanet Member

Ratings:
    +0
    All ordered! :) Can anyone tell me whether the internet wifi capabilities of the l37e30 can be accessed with a generic dongle or does it have to be the Panny one? Ta.
  30. lds1

lds1 Member

Ratings:
    +32
    I have an Edimax 5 port RJ45 to wifi converter which I use for mini PC connected to TV and Freesat HD STB and FreeviewHD STB, I just connected RJ45 socket on TX-L37E30B to spare port on Edimax and it auto configured.
    I don't know if a USB dongle will work.
    Edimax EW-7209APg - Wireless 802.11b/g Access Point (Range Extender) + 5 Ports 10/100M Switch

Cheers,

Laurie.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1