Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic TH-37PW7BX halo-ing

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by sausage1, May 16, 2005.

1. sausage1

sausage1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought a Panasonic Plasma TH-37PW7BX plus TU-PT600B receiver and TY-42TM6H tuner connection Terminal board on the advice of my retailer. I have connected a SKY+ box via a scart cable to the AV1 port of the tuner and connected my Sony suround sound system to the tuner via an RGB to RGB lead. Everything works pretty much as I expected with good high resolution graphics, BUT I get halo-ing on both digital TV - especially football and also to a slightly lesser extent on DVD movies. I have bought midddle of the road connectors, but these dont perform any better than the cheapo ones that came with the various components.

Is there a better way to connect everything or should I invest in even better leads or am I using an incorrect/ redundant component, or is a certain amount of halo-ing inevitable on a large screen. Help!
  2. starnberg

starnberg Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not an expert on this by any means (and not yet a plasma owner either :( ) but there's plenty of comment on here that suggests the tuner box is a bit of a dog...

As you've got Sky+ the tuner box is essentially redundant (did you tell your retailer that you had sky? you might be able to get him to take it back if you did).

There's a multitude of threads on how best to hook all of this up to the panny PW7s, this thread in particular has lots of good info on the basics and is a pretty good starting point.
  3. nak

nak Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Yep Sausage,

It's the tuner. It usually shows as color bleeding and/or green skin tones.

Either way, try to use dedicated inputs. I use:-

Component board input for Sony RDRGXD500
    DVI input for PC (at the moment), the analogue VGA is just as good.

:)
  4. sausage1

sausage1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    What is the best way to hook up my SKY+ reciever and my DVD surround sound system to the plasma screen? SKY has scart output, DVD has RGB output. I dont have speakers connected directly to the screen, but use the surround sound to supply sound for TV programs.
  5. hornydragon

hornydragon Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,412
    component if the DVD system has it or a JS RGB>VGA converter for both (dasiy chaided if not)
  6. sausage1

sausage1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Can you tell me in words of one syllable what piece of equipment to buy, approx cost and which leads to buy and where to stick them!! (DVD has RGB output, SKY+ has scart output)
  7. gizlaroc

gizlaroc Active Member

Ratings:
    +518
    Go RGB scart from DVD to Sky and then RGB scart to a JS RGB->VGA TRANSCODER into the vga input on your plasma.

Take the Tuner back and get a refund.
  8. gizlaroc

gizlaroc Active Member

Ratings:
    +518
    You may be better to get him to swap the tuner for a dual slot input board that will give you RGB/H/V or Component on BNC connectors as well as composite and s-video, and then get the JS RGB->COMPONENT TRANSCODER instead. This will allow you to adjust the colour saturation and uses all the different aspect ratios on the screen, where as VGA does not.
  9. sausage1

sausage1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsup: :smashin: Thanks for the advice - you make it sound simple. The first option souds simplest and least expensive to me. Sounds like the rogue tuner has to go! With my present setup, I control brightness/contrast etc via the tuner controller. If I bin the tuner, will I be able to control these functions with the plasma screen controller? Also, how would I feed in the output from a canon ixus digital camera?
  10. hornydragon

Ratings:
    +1,412
    get a js rgb>vga and dualslot board
  11. sausage1

sausage1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    What is a dual slot board!
  12. hornydragon

Ratings:
    +1,412
    Component/ SVHS/ Composite dual slot

BNC connectors for RGB and Component Video input, a stereo pair of RCA connectors for audio input, an S-Video connector for input with another stereo pair of RCA audio inputs and a pair of BNC connectors for Composite Video input and output. This board is double the width of most of the other boards. It must be installed in 2 slots.
    [Slots 1 and 2]
    TY-42TM6Y
    £160.00 Delivered
    Board Only Price
    http://www.av-sales.co.uk/plasma/html/panasonic_plasma_terminal_boar.html
  13. sausage1

sausage1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    :confused: The output from my DVD is RGB component. How do I connect that and my SKY box to my plasma via a JS converter.
    Also my wife is giving me grief about having to use one controller for sound(DVD controller), another for channel(SKY box controller) and another to switch the screen on and off(panny controller). Any ideas to make the system wife friendly, otherwise the whole lot may have to go back and be replaced by one of those "nice widescreen TVs (CRT)"!!! :eek:
  14. gizlaroc

gizlaroc Active Member

Ratings:
    +518
    Is it RGB or Component from the dvd player?
    If it is RGB from the scart then you can put this into the second input on your sky box, then when you turn on the dvd player it will overide the sky picture (doesn't get a lot more wife friendly than that).
    You then take the RGB from sky and put it into a JS RGB->VGA converter and have just one vga cable going to the screen.
    You will need to use your sky remote with whatever tv you buy.

If your DVD player is component you could do the following, buy a dual slot board for you plasma, this will give you component inputs, s-video and composite as well as keeping the VGA input too.
    Hook sky to VGA using a JS converter
    Hook DVD to the component input
    Hook camera to the composite input.

Then you will change channels using the plasma remote as you would with any tv. How would using a regular TV make it any easier?
  15. Drd

Drd Member

Ratings:
    +208
  16. sausage1

sausage1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Its a good job my wife is never likely to meet you in person, mysterious DrD or she would probably rip your head off!!! I dont think even a dishful of the plumpest olives would calm her!
  17. sausage1

sausage1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly, my DVD has component output, not RGB, sorry for the confusion(mine mainly). All my missus wants is to be able to turn the SKY box on and for the sound to work automatically without having to play with the DVD remote and chose the correct audio channel. At present, if you switch on the dvd player it automatically defaults back to the dvd channel and you have to chose video 1 (SKY is linked to video 1 phono input) to here SKY audio. What about linking in a pair of low budget mini speakers somewhere so she can here programs that dont need high quality sound through these just by turning on SKY and switching on the plasma?
  18. hornydragon

Ratings:
    +1,412
    get an amp and Harmony H655 remote one button and it all works so control DVD player TV sky etc all from one remote with one button push for each activity
  19. sausage1

sausage1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I've taken my Panny tuner back to RS and got a refund. Your idea sounds my best option. Two more questions though

1) If I ditch the camera idea, can I do it cheaper? (different board)

2) Is there any way I could buy a reasonably priced pair of speakers and connect them to the Plasma screen speaker outputs so that the plasma screen will act more like a standard TV or would I need a seperate amp to drive the speakers?(and therefore yet another remote for my wife to juggle)
  20. gizlaroc

gizlaroc Active Member

Ratings:
    +518
    You can buy the Panasonic speakers that go onto the sides of the set.

I would just get the dual input board, and go into that with component from the DVD and get a JS->VGA converter to go from your sky box to the VGA input on the plasma, you will still have a composite in then for your camera.
    You could save £50 and get the compent only input board for the plasma but you may as well get the dual one and gain composite and S-Video.
  21. gizlaroc

gizlaroc Active Member

Ratings:
    +518
  22. sausage1

sausage1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks gizlaroc and also hornydragon - you are both senior members with the same idea, so thats good enough for me. I have ordered the board and converter.

The screen is sited in an alcove, so I cant attach speakers to the side. Could I attach any other 6ohm speakers and site them above or below the screen(they are only for low grade sound - news progs etc)? If so, does the plasma screen have and in-built amp to drive them and if it does, does the VGA lead carry audio or will i need to connect seperate audio from the SKY phono outputs?

Do you recommend any particular make of VGA and component leads?

I promise, this thread is nearly complete - I cant stand the late nights!!!
  23. gizlaroc

gizlaroc Active Member

Ratings:
    +518
    You could attach any speaker to it I guess if it is just for watching the news etc.

I would just get a basic vga cable to start off with, it will be fine, and same for the component cable, did you look at the link for the ad, someone selling everything you need to get started.
  24. sausage1

sausage1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    :clap: :clap: :clap: The gear arrived today. Hooked it up to SKY. Picture superb!! Thanks again lads.

Its a good job this forum exists, otherwise i could have been watching crap TV through an expensive but crap tuner from now until eternity(length of time before the missus lets me invest in further hardwear).

I presumed that local electrical/hi-fi shops would stock RGA-BNC adaptors - WRONG. Does anybody know the best place to get hold of some asap - either internet or large retailer eg PC World/Curries/Dixons etc?
  25. gizlaroc

gizlaroc Active Member

Ratings:
    +518
    maplins and I think Richer sounds do them to.
  26. Drd

Drd Member

Ratings:
    +208
    Time for a photo methinks,though it could never be as good as a Pioneer without the obligatory African bowl ;)