Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic ST30 Owners Thread *Part 3*

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Curly99, Jan 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EvilEdna

EvilEdna Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Buzzing sound is really bad on my set, it has set off my tinnitus
  2. EvilEdna

EvilEdna Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Just had a call from JL, they are bringing my new 50st30 on Friday, and taking the defective set away
  3. Wootball

Wootball Member

Ratings:
    +248
    WARNING BEFORE I POST THIS: If you DON'T want to see the problem with your TV, skip to the next post. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

----------------------------------------

You don't see the green in that picture? I'm genuinely worried, yours is ten times worse than the one I sent back because of it. I mean, the entire middle of your screen is green.

This is what I mean - it's there, to me, and that's an extremely bad case of the green tinge/blob however you want to phrase it. However some others have posted here saying they can't see it, and I'm flabbergasted by that. I would have sent that back upon first turning it on, but you claim you can't even see it?

For what it's worth, I've taken a colour sample from your picture, in two sections. One is the middle of the screen where it's green, and the other is from the edge. I've put the two colour samples next to eachother, and also taken a shot of where each colour sample appears on the colour scale. You can see that one falls in the green scale, and another in the grey - nearly at opposite ends of the scale. Also for what it's worth, I used the side of the TV without reflection, and also checked the brightness to make sure that your light source wasn't the problem - each colour reading is an average of three readings as far apart as possible in the affected area to rule out reflections.

If it's ok with you, I've also saved your screenshot to send to Panasonic - they have to see this, that's an amazing example of the problem. If you don't want me to do this, please let me know.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  4. masabaw

masabaw Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Oh NO! My telly is broken big time! I should call John Lewis and Panasonic to replace this thing immediately! /s

Haha, I know you won't be able to resist the photo of my screen. So mine is 10 times worse than yours? Wow, I don't want to be selling you any tellies. Do whatever you must to the photo I am happy with my telly and we're fine with the "green tinge" you are mentioning since you won't be visiting anytime soon to watch a movie on our telly.
  5. Wootball

Wootball Member

Ratings:
    +248
    I'm glad your happy with your TV, I really am, and I wish I had been as happy with mine. I'm a tad annoyed that so many people are trying to get Panasonic to do something about the problem when they have relatively minor examples (but no less valid), whilst the issue is so, so bad in yours only to be ignored and for some reason accepted. I mean, where have our standards gone?

I knew you'd get defensive - it really wasn't an attack at you or your TV. I've said a few times that it's there in every TV, it's just that the owner hasn't noticed it yet. Your post absolutely reaffirms it. Yes, yours is 10 times worse - mine only had two blobs, one about the size of a satsuma and the other the size of a grapefruit. That's still broken and not something I'll accept regardless of how much I paid for it. I'm staggered that not accepting a fault suddenly means that I'm in the wrong. I'm picky, absolutely, and proud that I won't put up with faulty goods.
  6. masabaw

masabaw Member

Ratings:
    +13
    It's fine, if you think it's not the telly for you then go find something else. As I have said, we don't see these problems so we don't think there is a reason to return it. It's probably our eyes. Here's another fault I see on our telly when I connect it on the desktop PC:

[​IMG]
  7. xcloudx

xcloudx Member

Ratings:
    +23
    i agree 100% with you wootball...by the way, send also my 50st30 photo to panasonic ;)
  8. TimmyBee86

TimmyBee86 Member

Ratings:
    +45
    I am only looking at this on my phone, but I cannot see any green on that image. That's the best news I've had all day - that green blobs only affect people with freakishly good eyesight.

just looked at it on the PC, and i can now see the different shades, but it looks more like shadow from reflections than anything else.
    If my TV looked like that, i wouldnt have any issues.
  9. slc79

slc79 Member

Ratings:
    +160
    The recent posts really illustrates part of the problem, imho. There is a lot of people who either doesn't see the fault or cares. That does not mean it shouldn't be considered a defect, because a lot of us DO find it distracting and people having spent money on at least the GT and VT series should be allowed to expect better without being told they're too picky. There's a reason why they chose those sets to begin with.

This is a defect, regardless of who sees it or not. No other sets than the 2011 Panasonics HAS this, and Panasonics attitude towards this from the very beginning has been complete disaster.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Wootball

Wootball Member

Ratings:
    +248
    I completely agree with this. The acceptance of such a problem IS the problem. I certainly don't appreciate being patronised for not being happy about Panasonic making an entire range of defective TV's.
  11. GoNz0

GoNz0 Member

Ratings:
    +61

f***n great, i just had to mop coffee off my laptop screen and need to change my shirt after that made me LOL ya tit! :laugh:
  12. GoNz0

GoNz0 Member

Ratings:
    +61
    i class the possible £600 on an ST a lot of money for me!

end of the day you can get a cheap set for £300 so to me this is a lot :(
  13. Wootball

Wootball Member

Ratings:
    +248
    It is for me too. I don't class £699 as 'throwaway' money and regardless of what I pay for something I expect it not to be faulty.
  14. masabaw

masabaw Member

Ratings:
    +13
    @GoNz0

Haha, do you have the same cat tinge on your telly? It's very obvious when we watch the desktop PC through the ST30. It's a big blob in the middle and I highlighted it for those who do not have very sharp eyes. Panasonic should do something about this as we have two dogs in the house and it's upsetting them. I wonder if the 2012 plasmas have this fault as well :(
  15. TimmyBee86

TimmyBee86 Member

Ratings:
    +45
    Maybe your tv has the 'pussy magnet' fault
  16. masabaw

masabaw Member

Ratings:
    +13
    I think it must be the break in slides. I used cat food pics as slides and I ran them overnight :(

Maybe it will go away after more hours of usage.
  17. GoNz0

GoNz0 Member

Ratings:
    +61
    maybe a dog firmware update will fix it ?
  18. masabaw

masabaw Member

Ratings:
    +13
    I checked Panasonic's website and I already have the latest firmware update. I will send Panasonic a copy of this photo and hope they do something about this very obvious flaw on their plasma panels.

It was a small blob before and I think it has gotten bigger. Here's a pic of my screen when it was new.

[​IMG]
  19. BobbyMac

BobbyMac Active Member

Ratings:
    +310
    Just got my ST30 delivered at work (42" for £450 from Amazon)

Obviously this being the 3rd thread not had a chance to read up

Any obvious must Do's / Don'ts when 1st installing?
  20. kungfuman

kungfuman Member

Ratings:
    +16
    I would say that I'm not one with very good eye sight but my missus who has pretty bad eyesight and can't see for poop :) spotted the green blobs on our screen immediately and that was even without her specs. It is however quite subtle and we can't see it in normal viewing. Only in the grey charts and the DVB tuning menu when we are actively looking for it.
  21. kungfuman

kungfuman Member

Ratings:
    +16

I may give that order line a try tonight. The gent I spoke to over the phone was pretty useless and sounded pretty rude in tone. First he tried to fob me off by saying they will only price match within a 1mile radius! But I corrected him by saying the lady that put me through said they normally do it nationally. It was only when I explained the deal to him he then used the 'its not the same package' line and cant price match.
  22. TimmyBee86

TimmyBee86 Member

Ratings:
    +45
    I think the main one is don't over do it for the first 200 hrs. If you want to leave it on for a few days on a DVD on a loop, or slide show etc then you can, or just wait it out. Leave the contrast quite low until the set has settled down. Try not to watch anything with static images eg games, news channel.
    But after 100-200 hrs you should be fine!
  23. $weetFA

$weetFA Member

Ratings:
    +132
  24. Wootball

Wootball Member

Ratings:
    +248
    @masabaw

So basically you posted a picture of what you thought was a perfectly uniform TV to see if we could see a problem, I replied and proved that there was a problem with it, and you've become overly defensive and patronising. If you weren't prepared to accept the response, I wonder why you bothered asking for one in the first place.
  25. masabaw

masabaw Member

Ratings:
    +13
    I though we were over this conversation. You see a fault, I said I don't think its worth returning it for something that does not bother me. I also gave you permission to send the photo to Panasonic.

What do you want me to do? Do you want me to call John Lewis and return my telly even if I'm perfectly happy with it? Shout "Hail Wootball, the all seeing Plasma protector form the evil green blobs"?

Who's overly defensive and patronising? I didn't even ask for anything I just posted a photo of my screen and I never said it's perfectly uniform. Geez, it's just a telly. Like I said, if you are not happy with the ST30 go and find something else and move on.

I already have cat blobs on my telly to deal with as it is :(
  26. Wootball

Wootball Member

Ratings:
    +248
    It's the whole 'cat blobs' thing that's patronising - as if you needed to be told.

If it was 'just a telly' you wouldn't have signed up to this forum. Like I said, I'm disappointed that we as consumers are so willing to accept faults, as evidenced by yourself. It's not a personal attack, more a realisation of why we get fed so much crap from companies, and why we don't stand up for ourselves.

In spite of this, could you please add your vote to the following poll: http://www.avforums.com/forums/plas...s-affected-green-issue-gathering-numbers.html

Considering your TV does have the problem, even if it doesn't bother you.
  27. masabaw

masabaw Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Sorry if you don't find it funny. Others find it funny and I don't have any more cat wallpapers to post anyway.

"If it was 'just a telly' you wouldn't have signed up to this forum."

So what is it? A robot? LOL, I came here in the first place to know what to do when I receive my ST30. I didn't know there are people who's so unhappy with the telly they can't move on and buy another brand/model.
  28. nesl

nesl Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Spot on! No other manufacturer had problems with rising MLL on 2009 sets (or any other), no other manufacturer had smearing problems with 50 Hz material and no other manufacturer had such horrible uniformity issues on their plasma screens! LGs have poor black level? Well, at least they don't shift with time - not immediately after first 1000 hours! What you see is what you get with them - if you don't like them, don't buy them. Not so with Panasonics - they do get the best reviews, but they also pack a few surprises for their (loyal) customers. And for a hefty price too!

That's just horrible! Stealing money by deceiving customers essentially, that's what it is.
  29. slc79

slc79 Member

Ratings:
    +160
    This is not quite right either. There HAVE been reports of MLL rising on LGs, I do not remember which models at hand. Not that I defend this going on, but Panasonic aren't the only one at fault on this matter. And personally, I could live with a rise in MLL if it didn't reach insane levels. (The 2010s post rise is within what I'd call acceptable, but the IR problems coming with it not so much...)
  30. Wootball

Wootball Member

Ratings:
    +248
    Again, stop with the patronising it's getting offensive.

I've moved on and taken the ST30 back, and currently don't own a new TV at all as I don't feel the competition match the quality of the Panasonic. I didn't realise there are people happy to spend the best part of a grand on faulty products and not complain, so I guess we all learn something new every day.

I'm not asking you to take it back. I'm asking that you don't just stand there and accept it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.