Panasonic ST30 Owners Thread *Part 3*

Status
Not open for further replies.
@allazey_uk

Our PC is connected to the ST30 via HDMI as both our Windows desktop and laptop has HDMI out which also outputs audio. We also tried a DVI to HDMI cable to the ST30 and it works fine as well :D

@allazey_uk

Our PC is connected to the ST30 via HDMI as both our Windows desktop and laptop has HDMI out which also outputs audio. We also tried a DVI to HDMI cable to the ST30 and it works fine as well :D

What allazey_uk actually means is that he is trying to connect a VGA PC to HDMI TV. You cannot use an adaptor for this as the signal needs to be changed to digital. You would need a converter like this Neet® - VGA + Audio to HDMI Converter - Supports 1080p: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Otherwise a Component to VGA cable should work fine. You will need to supply a seperate audio feed for both these solutions.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
@allazey_uk

I didn't think DVI to HDMI cables worked (or at least - didn't work well).

What was the resolution and video handling like? Also, can I ask which cable you used?

:smashin:

What was the resolution and video handling like? Also, can I ask which cable you used?

A standard HDMI to DVI lead would work just fine as it's still a digital signal. You just need to supply audio as DVI does not carry audio. If you are referring to VGA then see my last post ;)

The resolution is the same as when using HDMI cable (1080p 60hz).
We just used a cheap cable like this one: Cable

I didn't know you were referring to VGA to HDMI but we also tried that using VGA to DVI adapter connected to a DVI to HDMI cable and it does not work. Even the VGA to Component cable didn't work. Anyway, as the other guy said, you need a converter for VGA to HDMI to work.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Probably not the right place to put this. I can't set my xbox 360 to 1080p, only 1080i with my tv. Using a component cable also.

Also, had to turn off intelligent frame creator (is that what its called?). Looks like you're playing things in fast forward at times.

You cant access 1080p via Component..

use a HDMI and it will let you :)

i also had to turn Off Intelligent Frame Creation.. when i was watching Match of the Day and playing Fifa, it made 5 balls ping across the screen when someone passed!? strange, lol..

What allazey_uk actually means is that he is trying to connect a VGA PC to HDMI TV. You cannot use an adaptor for this as the signal needs to be changed to digital. You would need a converter like this Neet® - VGA + Audio to HDMI Converter - Supports 1080p: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Otherwise a Component to VGA cable should work fine. You will need to supply a seperate audio feed for both these solutions.

Yep, I was referring to a VGA PC, athough I do have access to a DVI PC too so still useful info. :smashin:

It would've been useful if this TV had VGA and HDMI inputs though (like my old LCD).

The resolution is the same as when using HDMI cable (1080p 60hz).
We just used a cheap cable like this one: Cable

I didn't know you were referring to VGA to HDMI but we also tried that using VGA to DVI adapter connected to a DVI to HDMI cable and it does not work. Even the VGA to Component cable didn't work. Anyway, as the other guy said, you need a converter for VGA to HDMI to work.

I read about the problems with VGA to component, and even if it did work the quality being very poor.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Bought the Panasonic TX-P42ST30B for Xmas, so had it now for 2 weeks..

pretty much done the 100 hour run in thing i was told to do (turning Contrast & Brightness down to 50 and all Enhancements Off)

but can anyone now tell the me Perfect settings for this tv? what i should turn On/Off?

Intelligent Frame Creation OFF
Clear Cinema ON
Resolution Enhancer OFF
16:9 Overscan OFF
Pixel Orbiter ON
Vivid Colour OFF
C.A.T.S. OFF
P-NR OFF

help with all of them please :)

True Cinema.

Hope that helps.

True Cinema.

Hope that helps.

im using all these settings but opted for Cinema instead, True Cinema has a Warm Colour Tone which i dont like and it is unchangeable, in Cinema i can select Normal instead :)

also it doesnt buzz as loud (still annoying) as the other modes..

Last edited:

for £40 your better off buying an ATI card with hdmi out to allow bitstremaing uncompressed audio as well!

Can anyone recommend a decent low-profile HDMI and RCA interconnect that fits behind the ST30?

My old RCA interconnect is too deep for my low profile wall mount (37mm)

Last edited:
Loving my ST30 so far :thumbsup:... not loving breaking the set in part. I am a little impatient and have only clocked about 40 hours since owning the set so am gonna struggle getting to 200hrs! :D

oh well, i suppose its worth it for a better picture / less IR down the line. :)

Now, J.L have got back to me, at last, agreeing to the 50" for £599 not sure if the glasses are included.
Would we notice much difference in pic quality compared to our 42" G10?

Ta.

just a question regarding Aspect Ratio.. do i select Auto or 16:9?

when i select Auto the picture changes size everytime i change channel?? lol..

i have the 16:9 Overscan Off, and watch Standard Defintion Sky tv via Scart..

Last edited:
for £40 your better off buying an ATI card with hdmi out to allow bitstremaing uncompressed audio as well!

Even better, yes :smashin:

I just bought an Nvidia GT 430. It is HDMI 1.4 compliant and decent(ish) graphics performance. At least enough to play games on moderate settings. I don't really use my PC for games so it's not a big problem.

does that card support dolby true hd and dts master audio bitstreaming to a reciever ? i know the 425 in my laptop does not :(

always been nvidia but opted for a cheap ATI to get the full range of uncompressed audio from my HTPC to the onkyo, for £25 it was a steal

does that card support dolby true hd and dts master audio bitstreaming to a reciever ? i know the 425 in my laptop does not :(

always been nvidia but opted for a cheap ATI to get the full range of uncompressed audio from my HTPC to the onkyo, for £25 it was a steal

Yes it sure does:

Key Features

Full Microsoft DirectX 11 Support
Blu-Ray 3D Support
NVIDIA CUDA™ technology Support
Microsoft Windows 7 Support
DirectCompute 5.0 Support
OpenCL Support
NVIDIA PhysX™ Technology Support
Hardware Video Decode Acceleration1
TrueHD and DTS-HD Audio Bitstreaming Support
Dual-Link HDCP-Capable2
OpenGL 4.0 support3

I had the 5450 which supported bitstreaming but no 3D support. Got the GT 430 for £47 which was pretty reasonable.

As a matter of fact I have a brand new Radeon 6850 in the box but I'm afraid my little HTPC mini ITX board might not cope with it.

im using all these settings but opted for Cinema instead, True Cinema has a Warm Colour Tone which i dont like and it is unchangeable, in Cinema i can select Normal instead :)

also it doesnt buzz as loud (still annoying) as the other modes..

Warm is best on these TV's.:)

Lankz said:
just a question regarding Aspect Ratio.. do i select Auto or 16:9?

when i select Auto the picture changes size everytime i change channel?? lol..

i have the 16:9 Overscan Off, and watch Standard Defintion Sky tv via Scart..

You should leave overscan on if you watch standard def Sky mostly.

Lankz said:
Really? what should it be used for then?

You usually switch overscan off if you're playing anything or watching something in HD. If overscan is off, watching standard def stuff you can usually see a small white border near the top of the tv.

Have put the TV into True Cinema mode and turned down the brightness and contrast. Made sure pixel orbiter is on. Anything else I need to do?

I'm assuming once I've passed the 200 hour mark its okay to dial up the contrast and brightness and start watching films with black bars / game as long as it isn't excessive? Correct?

If its still usual/necessary to break in new plasmas to avoid picture burn in, do you guys just do it by running a slide show? Wouldn't it work to just leave your set switched on to a channel that isn't broadcasting (static) for 8 days or so instead? Wouldn't that do the trick as well?

For breaking in, I personally put on a DVD, set up an hour long (or so) loop and just leave it. Others recommend a juice visualisation if plugged into an Xbox or ps3.
On that not - to the guy asking about component and 1080i - what you need is either the audio dongle that came with elites so you can plug in HDMI and optic. Or take the casing off your component lead so you can snuggly fit in the HDMI and optic in the back of the box. Search the forums for tips.
Or buy a new Xbox and/or A/V amp.

Was playing a few hours of Magic yesterday (geek card game. Lots of static images) and got some IR that hadn't gone away after 20 mins screen saver, so put on another DVD overnight. Hope that fixes it, but I've got to say the IR is much better than my old tv.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom