Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic ST GT & VT

Discussion in 'TV Technology: Smart TV, 3D, Ultra HD, 4K' started by Blue.Rocket, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Blue.Rocket

Blue.Rocket Member

Ratings:
    +29
    Looking at the Panasonic range of 50"-55", i keep seing various models such as TX-50ST30B, TX-P50VT30B & TX-P50GT30B.
    I am trying to work out the difference in the reference letters ST, GT & VT as there is quite a price difference.

Can anyone explain please the difference of the Letters/models.

Also is it possible to watch the above TVs with Passive/Cinema 3D Glasses rather than the given active glass, in other words is there a choice or is one stuck with those active glasses..
    Thanks
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  2. Spy

Spy Active Member

Ratings:
    +231
    The Panasonics are all ACTIVE 3D sets so the passive 3D glasses will not work.

This year, I believe that only LG, Toshiba and Philips have Passive 3D sets.

The 3 Panny sets you mention are different models, with more features, better quality picture as you go up the range...

ST30 - lowest of the range with no DLNA support
    GT30 - mid-range with DLNA support and Freesat HD
    VT30 - top of the range, all sininging and dancing and better (darker) black filter
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  3. Blue.Rocket

Blue.Rocket Member

Ratings:
    +29
    Thanks for the details, that has help identifie that of what i was unsure of.
    Now looking at Passive sets, just had a demo of the 55 LG LED, quite impressive as far as 3D goes but need a viewing of normal 2D...
  4. UltiResis

UltiResis Active Member

Ratings:
    +282
    Standard def 2d is not as good as say a Samsung on the LG sets but HD is good and 3D excellent!

The Panasonic sets are having issues with green and pink/red patches and brightness fluctuations, what are being called DOD (dots of doom) and do have an issue with 50hz material. Some of these issues may have been fixed by now but I would be cautious of the green and red patch problems as this is ongoing from what I can gather.
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  5. Repo

Repo Member

Ratings:
    +22
    UT = lowest of the range, then ST, then GT & VT at the top.
  6. Insanity202

Insanity202 Active Member

Ratings:
    +4,209
    Fixed :D

I have a 55" VT30 and its a stunning TV, though this is my second set and it too has the Dots of Doom. ;)
    So I hope to get my pennies back and I'm going down the Samsung route, The 64" D8000.

Ive yet to see a 55" model with green patches, but with Panasonics current long line up of issues I suggest those looking for a decent set take a look at Samsung.
  7. UltiResis

UltiResis Active Member

Ratings:
    +282
    Hehe yep, edited. Death/doom either way not good!

Only thing to watch out for with the 64 D8000 is the buzzing and maybe IR from my findings but I don't know what IR is like on them?
  8. Insanity202

Insanity202 Active Member

Ratings:
    +4,209
    Ive also been thinking of the Sony HX923. Maybe a 65" VT30.:rolleyes:
  9. UltiResis

UltiResis Active Member

Ratings:
    +282
    Have you seen the price of the 65 VT on Currys website, £3999.99 :eek:

The 923 seems good apart from this crease issue, that and the active 3D is not an option for me. Sony 3D I have personally found to be the most lacking of all the manufacturers especially using thier own glasses, if you tilt your head even slightly the 3D effect just disappears. Using other glasses such as the Youniversal helps solve this though.

There are so many of us in the exact same position where all the sets have their problems and we are trying to decipher which one is has the least problems and whether we can live with it. It's so frustrating and annoying. As a result of this I am considering a passive 3d projector setup and then buying a new bigger TV later on next year and carrying on with my 40" CCFL Sammy as I am still very happy with it right now barring the size and lack of 3D.

Not an easy decision by any means, I sometimes wish I didn't know so much and see all these problems. If I were just one of the blissfully ignorant sheeoples then it would be so easy :laugh:
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  10. Patbateman69

Patbateman69 Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Just seen the difference between an 50 inch ST and GT in Comet was a whopping 600 quid. And you are looking at an additional 3-400 for the VT

Is the difference between these sets worth such a huge increase?

Also why is there such a massive price increase between the 50VT and the 55VT? it is only an extra 5 inches.

ATM i am torn between the 55 and 65 VT. Unsure if i can justify the 65 considering im 9ft away from the screen.

My main use for this screen would be movies and gaming, and my main reason for leaning towards the VT over the samsung D8000 LCD and Sony HX923 is that i want the best 3d solution possible. LG ruled out because of response for gaming.

Also, i've scoured the forums and read about some instances of people thinking the screen is too dark, however when i have seen it running in store it generally looks brighter than what i have my Sony X2000. I like my tv to look natural and not overly bright like the stores have, especially with regard to the Samsung D8000
  11. serge

serge Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I have a 42 inch st and a 50 inch gt and i love both of them
    very pleased with the picture quality on both
  12. daformah

daformah Member

Ratings:
    +25
    I have a 50VT30 and loving it, although all this negativity about the Pannys atm is making me doubt myself and looking for faults. Shouldn't be doing this and should just be enjoying the TV.

Not seen the 50hz issue (although i don't really understand it to be fair)

Got a 5yr warranty anyway, so if there is an issue, ill just have it fixed....

What has impressed me the most are the black levels AND the colours. So natural! At the moment, i could recommend it enough.
  13. dmm26x

dmm26x New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I know the original post was posted quite a while ago but I just wanted to say that if any one is looking for a 3d tv, stay faarrr away from lg. It is very farfetched to even say it's good leave alone excellent. I sell tvs as my job and I am around them all day. I can personally say lg tvs are some of the poorest quality tvs when it comes to 3d. One reason is because they are passive, and any passive tv will not have as good as quality as an active 3d tv. As for panasonic, not many people know this, but they are actually called upon to help film and record major events like the super bowl (which speaks volumes for the quality that brand produces). Anyways, for the money, I would say stick with the st30 or st50. Even though it is the lower of the three, it is really no different than the gt or vt models other than the fact that it is hundreds of dollars cheaper.
  14. dmm26x

dmm26x New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    if your looking for a good gaming tv I would say stick with sony. Even though two different brand tv's may have 120 or 240 hz, sonys seem to have a more smooth and controlled motion when things are moving faster. Also, newer sony models have gorilla glass (so you can throw anything withing reach at the screen and it wont break).