Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic SC-PT460 & PS3 Bluray Audio Issues

Discussion in 'All-in-one Systems' started by Fazz99, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Fazz99

Fazz99 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok I'm posting this on behalf of my father in law as he has some really annoying issues with his home theatre set up which I cannot resolve.

He has a Samsung Series 6 LCD TV, Panasonic SC - PT 460 and a PS3.

The issue is around the playing of Bluray movies via the PS3.

If we play Hancock or Pirates of Carribean 2 all works fine and 5.1 audio is output from the Panasonic.

However if playing Wanted or The Hulk (Ed Norton one) the trailers and menu screen play in 5.1 but once the movie is played the sound goes off and there is no output.

I have tried everything and cannot fathom the issue, the discs when played through my system (very simillar), PS3, Samsung Series 4 Plasma and Samsung HT-Z310 all play in 5.1 with no problems.

The settings on the PS3 are optical out, set to bitstream and on Audio out - Dolby Digital, DTS and all of the PCMs (except middle two) are checked on audio settings (same settings on my PS3). On the Panasonic the system is set to DI, and then on PCM Fix the OFF option is selected.

I can only assume its a setting issue or a fault on the PS3 or Panny. As this was bought at the recommendation of the shop assistant in Comet, if it cannot be resolved shortly its gonna have to go back. Only thing I havnt checked is to bring his PS3 to my house to try through the samsung just to rule out his PS3 being faulty.

If we change the optical PS3 setting to PCM we do get sound but only 2 channel.

The fact that the fault is only on certain titles is just so damn confusing.

Can anyone help PLEASE
  2. alsina

alsina Active Member

Ratings:
    +620
    Are you aware that the SCPT460 only handles Dolby Digital and not DTS via its optical input?
  3. Fazz99

Fazz99 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Really, this is a brand new system (the one with ipod docking), the unit has the DTS logo embossed on it.

Is this a feature of the optical input only, i.e the DVD player and hdmi input support DTS but optical doesnt ?
  4. kentish_lad

kentish_lad Member

Ratings:
    +217
    Its because the DVDs you are having problems with are in DTS, panasonics dont support this format via the optical input, only Dolby Digital
  5. Fazz99

Fazz99 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    OK changed the Ps3 setting to exclude checking the DTS box on audio out settings and now get sound, but only 2.1.

So is the only way to solve this to connect the ps3 to the Panasonic via hdmi and set to PCM ?

Or should I just get him to take the panasonic back and swap for a samsung ?
  6. RottenFox

RottenFox Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,292
    you will only get DTS as pcm 2.1 through optical.
    its almost as if panasonic crippled the optical input,so as to only accept DD5.1.

so yes,either return it, or live with it,its up to you.
  7. SteveCritten

SteveCritten Active Member

Ratings:
    +922
    Hi all I have just had this very same problem tonight, tried to play X-Men Origins Wolverine through my Panasonic BD60 Blu ray player. HDMI to Infocus X9 PJ and optical lead to Panasonic Pt 460. and the same problem sound is fine on the title page but when I play it stops. I can watch in Portugese or Spanish and even get the commentary but no English. Has there been a fix for this yet? Or should I take Wolverine back??
  8. RottenFox

RottenFox Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,292
    theres no fix, there will be no fix, and theres not much you can do..
    the wolverine blu-ray disc is fine, but its your system thats crippled..
    it will NOT do anything DTS over optical, as you have discovered you get no audio.
  9. SteveCritten

SteveCritten Active Member

Ratings:
    +922
    Thanks Foxy I was just looking at some other threads as you posted. That's not good then, but why don't they put both versions on the Blu-Ray? How many films would it restrict me by? This may be another excuse to upgrade:smashin:.
  10. RottenFox

RottenFox Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,292
    the movies with sole DTS soundtracks seem to be getting more and more, though still not as much as the Tru-HD audio ones..i dont know why they dont put both on the same disc..

if you want to check movies before buying, make sure they have Dolby Soundtracks on them, as well as DTS, that would be one way.
    such a shame that panasonic systems are like this, as with several series, they have done this..onboard DTS is fine, using the inbuilt disc player for dvd's but no external decoding at all.

its only the panasonics though, almost every other brand is fine, albeit with a few random big brand models, which really i doubt anyone would end up with.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Ben6279

Ben6279 Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Does anyone know if Panasonic has resolved this issue on their new current range?
    Was going to ask a box shifter in a high street store the other day but thought there's no point :rolleyes:
  12. hippo99

hippo99 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,572
    Current Panasonic range is still the same.

Best way to check is to check the online manuals.
    Support - Downloads - UK & Ireland
    Go to the page where they describe the different available connections. In the description for the Optical input (in small print), it will say 'only Dolby & PCM supported using this connection'.
  13. Wootball

Wootball Member

Ratings:
    +249
    I want to add to this - watching Quantum of Solace (which is DTS-HD only) still produces sound on my PT460. My PS3 is set to bitstream, via optical cable, and all the Dolby ProLogic 2 settings on the PT460 are off.

What audio am I actually getting when I do that? All 5 speakers play sound.

Also, for someone with the PT460, what are the best settings to have the PT460 AND PS3 on for Blu-rays/Games?
  14. lmontgomery222

lmontgomery222 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    oh my god.

I have been sitting here trying to figure out why my panasonic SC-PT480 will play dolby digital through optical cable from my sky hd box but when i disconnect it and try and play ps3 through my sound system using an optical cable it will not play.
    Its because the bluray disc is toy story3 which outputs DTS.
    I have literally been setting this up for 15 hours and my final thing i did was join this forum to see if there was any help. I cannot believe it. This is a total joke. The back of the bluray says it plays DTS 7.1, DTS 5.1, Dolby digital EX 5.1 and Dolby 2.0. Surely theres a way of changing the audio from DTS to Dolby on the sound system