Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic SC-PT170 All-in-one: My Review

Discussion in 'All-in-one Systems' started by mrbojangles, Dec 13, 2009.

1. mrbojangles

mrbojangles Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Ok, I thought I'd pop up a quick review of this all-in-one, as there is not a lot of user feedback for it around.

I'd emphasise that this is my first surround system (aside from my PC setup), so I'm likely not as discerning as some forum members!

I purchased this model as it met my needs:

- was cost effective for a first time system (I paid £146 from Comet)
    - was Panasonic (as I have a TX-P37X10 Plasma, so ideally wanted Vierra link)
    - I have a small/medium sized room (13ft x12ft approx), so didn't need lots of volume
    - I wanted Divx playback via USB

So first the good:

- picture quality from DVD's and DivX's is nothing short of astounding. I came from a relatively cheap upscaling DVD/DivX player and the difference is HIGHLY noticable. DVD's are mush crisper and I was very surprised to find DivX's look FAR superior to my last player. I never thought paying more for a DVD player was worthwhile! Note I have it set to 720p as this what the TX-P37X10 Plasma is.
    - Sound is excellent. From 5.1, down to playing CD's etc. As I say, this is my first living room system, but for a room my size it is perfect. Dialogue/music is clear and effects are suitably whizzy. Not overly bass heavy either. On both CD's and DVD's I'm spotting sounds/effects I've never heared before. Significant difference compared to my PC surround setup as well
    - I have a Nintendo Wii connected via component cable (video direct to TV, audio into the SC-PT170) and for music games like Guitar Hero, the difference is astonishing (compared to TV speakers). Clear separation of instrument sounds (each of the drums is now clearly audible).
    - setup was easy (automatic via vierra link). I had to tweak the rear speaker settings as they are closer to me than the front, but this was easy

Minor negatives:

- there is no proper 'off' button. The unit can be put in standby, but to be completely off, it has to be unplugged. This is ridiculous (even if standby only consumes a small amount of power).
    - Was not multiregion out the box. I bought a remote from ebay (£10) which flashed the unit, so easily solved.
    - a little slow to start playback from discs. I've seen a few comments like this for Panasonic systems. I'm talking a few seconds more than I'm used to, so not a major issue.

Other comments:

- probabaly not suitable for larger rooms. The system is 330w, which is more than adequate for my needs, but if you really want to deafen your neighbours, then the next model up at 1000w may be more suitable.
    - the obvious known issue that current Panasonic all-in-one's WILL NOT decode DTS from an external source (such as a Blu-Ray player). Not an issue for me as I doubt I will get Blu-Ray for a long time (if ever). At £146 the unit is not bank breaking, so could easily be replaced in the future as well.
    - I forgot to measure the rear speaker cables before laying them, but estimate about 8m/26ft.

An excellent entry level/budget DVD surround system in my view.

Happy to field any questions :)
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  2. MadeinMancs

MadeinMancs Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

How effective is the 'whisper mode' feature ?
  3. mrbojangles

mrbojangles Member

Ratings:
    +2
    It wasn't something I thought I'd use tbh.
    I have tried it very briefly now to test and it seems pretty pointless really. Couldn't really spot much difference in volume etc. Might as well just manually reduce voulme & bass level if needed :)
  4. dark1511

dark1511 Member

Ratings:
    +24
    hi,anyway to put it back to factory settings?
  5. elvizcaino

elvizcaino Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Good morning.

I have bought the SC-PT170 Home theatre system and it's excelent, but does not show the subtitles of divx movies (avi files). I'am using de usb with the movie and de subtitle file, subtitle file has extension "srt". In he menu, the subtitles don't show in options, as if there were no subtitle file in the source, but if there. These films I have used with other players and their subtitles work perfectly (Philips DVD player, and PC with Windows Media Player).

My question is, what is the subtitle format should I use?

Thank you and excuse my English, I'm learning.
  6. elvizcaino

elvizcaino Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Good morning.

I have bought the SC-PT170 Home theatre system and it's excelent, but does not show the subtitles of divx movies (avi files). I'am using de usb with the movie and de subtitle file, subtitle file has extension "srt". In he menu, the subtitles don't show in options, as if there were no subtitle file in the source, but if there. These films I have used with other players and their subtitles work perfectly (Philips DVD player, and PC with Windows Media Player).

My question is, what is the subtitle format should I use?

Thank you and excuse my English, I'm learning.
  7. sparkyfatlad

sparkyfatlad Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a ps3 connected to the panasonic sa-pt170 via a optical digital cable, when the ps3 starts up it plays the playstation theme then there is no sound for the menu or the games, dvd's play with sound but games don't.
    Can anybody advise which setting i am missing either on the ps3 or panasonic system. The ps3 is set to output via the optical and i have tried ticking various combinations on the next screen from that.
  8. bjcomp

bjcomp Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've bought Panasonic SC-PT170, but when i play divx movie, it didn't detect any subtitle. I have tried srt, sub, idx and txt file, but still it doesn't detect.

Does anybody know how to overcome this problem?

Thanks in advance.