Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic recorder won't save strong Arq B channels (Mendip)

Discussion in 'Freeview Forum' started by Jonathan S, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Jonathan S

Jonathan S Member

Ratings:
    +23
    I'm trying to manually tune my Panasonic recorder (EX768) into UHF 67 in order to regain the Arquiva B stations, such as Film4, that were recently moved from 59. When I scan for them, all 28 channels are easily found with 10 for both signal quality and strength, but after I press EXIT (as directed in the handbook) none of the stations are saved.

(This same manual tuning process worked fine after Mendip's analogue switch-off - when it was necessary because the auto-tune saves only Stockland Hill channels, not Mendip.)

In case of interference from other equipment, I've tried disconnecting everything except the Scart lead for the (analogue) TV. I've also tried attenuating the signal (to various degrees) in case the signal is too strong. The one thing I haven't tried is a complete re-tune, but as this would involve deleting all the channels I do have, I'm reluctant in case I'm unable to re-gain even those.

I have no other digital receivers to compare, but someone on the ukfree.tv site who lives near us reports a somewhat similar problem (though he doesn't specify Arq B) with a Panasonic TV and was told by Panasonic that it was a known issue with Mendip and equipment bought in 2010 (which both his and mine were).
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  2. Gavtech

Gavtech Administrator

Ratings:
    +4,247
    You could do an auto-scan with the aerial removed first... which would empty all the channel placeholders... then follow that with a manual tuning for the mutiplexes that you want.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Jonathan S

Jonathan S Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Yes, that's what I had to do after the switchover, and it might well work again. I'm just worried that if there's something gone wrong with the recorder (or it has some new problem in relation to Mendip), after deleting all tuned stations, the manual tuning might fail for the channels I now have as well as those I lack.
  4. Gavtech

Gavtech Administrator

Ratings:
    +4,247
    Have you looked up in the 800's to see if the channels you have manually tuned in are there? Thats where 'duplicates' are shunted.

I suspect that with the signal strength so high [ perhaps too high] ...that the unit cannot make a choice as to which should be the main stations and duplicates.

I understand your reluctance, but doubt there is anything wrong with the machine...and presumably after deletion , at worst you could return to the status quo with an auto scan. [ You could try an autoscan or an 'Add new channels' scan before clearing out and see what that does ]
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Jonathan S

Jonathan S Member

Ratings:
    +23
    According to the handbook, an auto-scan deletes "all channel settings and all created profiles" on this machine.

I did try "add new channels" with no effect. I also attempted manually tuning the missing multiplex from Stockland Hill (on a different UHF) and these were stored in the 800 range, but the signal was so weak they were unwatchable. When that happened, the normal placeholders for the missing stations (such as 15 for Film4) were emptied - the numbers vanished - but when I then tried manually tuning from Mendip the placeholders and numbers returned, but none of the stations were actually stored (either in the normal places or the 800s) even though the recorder had found them seconds earlier.

You may be right about the signal being too strong, which is why I tried attenuation, reducing the strength by varied degrees to as low as 5/10. But surely the unit is not having to make a choice between transmitters, when manually tuning on Mendip's Arq B UHF channel, far away from Stockland Hill's equivalent? Also, the PSB channels from Mendip are currently four times as strong (at their end) as the missing Arq B, but I had no trouble storing those after switchover.

It may well be that there's nothing for it but to risk a new auto-scan (and manually tune after that if necessary). But I'd be interested to hear from anyone else with this problem on Mendip.
  6. Gavtech

Gavtech Administrator

Ratings:
    +4,247
    If it is a known issue have they said if and when it will be addressed and by whom?

You have probably already seen this note for the UKFree site ... which does at least suggest that the issue will be sorted out eventually, but obviously you want a solution for the meantime.

NOTE: Mendip SDN and Arqiva A will temporarily operate on channels 62+ and 56+ respectively (both at 10kW ERP) until September 2011. Final DSO channels will then be adopted, though ERP levels will remain limited until early 2012. Arqiva B will operate on channel 59+ (10kW ERP) until January 2011, when it will move to channel 67 at 26kW ERP until September 2011. Arqiva B’s final DSO channel will then be adopted, though ERP will remain limited until early 2012. ​
  7. Jonathan S

Jonathan S Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Here is the full (13 March) post I was referring to from the ukfree.tv forum. "Known issue" is my phrase but that's my impression from the end of the post. I'm not clear whether it affects just Panasonic or other makes too (he of course refers only to TVs, not recorders). If there's any truth in this, I expect it will be the usual stalemate of manufacturer blaming service provider, and vice-versa!

I bought a Panasonic TX-L42D25B television in August 2010. The EPG worked fine until about three months ago when much of it was blank on both Freeview and Freesat. About three weeks ago there was a software update and the EPG was then fine. But a week ago I went on holiday and I returned to find it is again as bad as ever (THere had not been anoither software update in that time)

Both times the problem occurred I did a complete retune as well as a return to shipping condition - it did not help.

I have a roof aerial and all other equipment (Including an earlier Panasonic TV and DVD HD)work fine. The signal strength and quality on the set are showing as fine.
    When it first went wrong Panasonic said it was a problem with the Mendip Transmitter (I live in Paulton near Midsomer Norton)which affects TV sets made in 2010. Can that be right? And would that also affect the EPG on Freesat?

I have emailed Panasonic 3 times but cannot get any reply
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  8. IanWarminster

IanWarminster Member

Ratings:
    +1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1