Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

panasonic px70 green line smack down the middle

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by pioneerman, Jan 14, 2008.

1. louisg

louisg Member

Ratings:
    +32
    Seems only a certain batch have had a problem, not that many to be fair.
    Also never heard a 50 have a problem only 42 and 37 inch.

So dont worry to much:smashin:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. louisg

louisg Member

Ratings:
    +32
    latest update. panasonic have agreed to rplace and cover labour charges. So 19month old tv, out of warrenty and getting repaired for free.

Top one Panasonic thank you:smashin:
  3. WGLOVER

WGLOVER Member

Ratings:
    +127
    A good reason for buying Panasonic:thumbsup:
  4. usenetz

usenetz Member

Ratings:
    +109
  5. SpaceMumps

SpaceMumps Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  6. SpaceMumps

SpaceMumps Member

Ratings:
    +7
    My 50" has just had it !
  7. sunderland

sunderland Active Member

Ratings:
    +244
    suprised JL just didnt give you a new tv if thats how much it costs to fix it
  8. SpaceMumps

SpaceMumps Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Seems mad but the engineer said they're only replacing the panel because it's ubder warranty. I suspect Panasonic must be supplying the panels free seeing as this is an inherent fault. The repair is still cheaper than a set I guess. I will call JL about this as it does seem odd.
    I'll be pleased if the glass is a newer gen though.
  9. sunderland

sunderland Active Member

Ratings:
    +244
    well let us know how it goes then
  10. IT Troll

IT Troll Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Oh dear, a green line has just appeared on my two and a bit year old 42PX70B. I did purchase it with a 5 year warranty but from Empire Direct...

I have called Panasonic and they said they would offer some cost assistance if I have my local service centre draw up a repair quote. I gave them a call and they want £25 for collection/delivery, £57.50 for diagnosis and £25 for potential disposal (refundable). This seems rather alot to say, "Yep it needs a new panel".

As I originally purchased on my credit card do I have the option of pursuing this through them?
  11. IT Troll

IT Troll Member

Ratings:
    +4
    The green line on my PX70 isn't a constant solid green. It varies in colour and intensity depending on what picture is being displayed "behind" the line. In black areas the line disappears - if the screen is all black then the line disappears completely. The line is always in the same position and is just 1 pixel wide.

Does this all sound typical for this fault and it being a failed panel?
  12. NewfieDrool

NewfieDrool Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    Green line covering half screen with flashing lines is a panel replacement. This is what happened to my old th58pz700. Mind you it then failed with sound board replacement then failed again with the Panasonic red flashing light syndrome:(
    I got a full refund after one year and agreed to a credit note of same purchase price to buy whatever from the store:smashin:
    I know Panasonics have a fairly good name but I worry that they don't always last the length of time. Saying that I'm using a small portable crt which is well old and its a Panasonic:D

If only Carlesburg made tv's:D
  13. IT Troll

IT Troll Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Well I paid my £82.50 for the inspection and as expected the TV needs a new panel. The cost of this will be labour £100.00 + parts £542.71 + VAT = £755.09 :eek:

Thankfully Panasonic have agreed to cover the cost of the parts and their standard allowance for labour. :thumbsup:

Hopefully this will mean no further cost to me and I can enjoy a few more trouble free years with my TV.
  14. nambola

nambola Member

Ratings:
    +0
    IT Troll. How did it all turn out. Did Panasonic cover all your costs. I have the same issue. Same screen, same age, same (ex)retailer. Panasonic suggested std parts and labour following inspection.
  15. IT Troll

IT Troll Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I now have my fully repaired TV back. Panasonic covered the full cost of the replacement panel and the labour to fit it. My local service centre refunded the cost of the inspection (I suspect because it was such an obvious fault to diagnose) and so all I had to pay in the end was the £25 for collection/delivery.

All in all great service from Panasonic considering the circumstances and a happy customer.
  16. stuarthaines

stuarthaines Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting thread. I have a 50" PX70 and which is nearly 3 years old. It has developed the vertical line 3 times.

It is now on it's 4th screen.

To be fair to Panasonic, they have replaced and paid for the labour out of warranty.

The last occurrence was about 3 months ago when they agreed to replace the panel after I paid £65 for an engineer's report. That panel then failed 30 seconds after the engineer put it back on my wall. That panel was then replaced.

I was without a tv for about a month, but seeing as Panasonic were doing this out of warranty and out of their pocket then I couldn't see how I could complain. But............

It has now failed again, this time the entire screen won't display a picture, I have sound though. :facepalm: (6 week life span this time, better than 30 seconds!)

Obviously I will be calling the engineer in the morning, but I would really appreciate some advice as for contacting Panasonic or the retailer.

I really think that someone should be replacing this TV with a new one. I have read a bit about the sale-of-goods-act and a product being fit for purpose but am not sure where to start.

FYI, the engineer showed me the bill for the last fix and it was over £900. So the maths don't add up as I'm sure Panasonic must sell wholesale lower than that.

Any advice would be great
    Thanks
    Stu
  17. Scunner

Scunner Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Been a while since I had any problems, but now my Panny has developed the 'green line' (TH-50PZ70B) just over 2 and 1/2yrs old and performed without fault so far. Given my two previous results with Sagem DLP's I've been happy.
    Looks like a call to Comet tomorrow, as I have the extra warranty.:thumbsup:
    Not sure if they'll repair or replace, but not fussed either way.
  18. panasonicwoe

panasonicwoe Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same problem! Appeared on Saturday evening and is smack down the middle of plasma screen. I had not realised this was such a widespread issue as have been delighted with the picture quality etc.. We purchased this set in November 2006 from EmpireDirect - complete with their free 5 year extended warranty. This warranty is of course useless now as they have gone bust and RicherSounds can do nothing as they only purchased the web site / name (they told me this in an email). I emailed Panasonic Customer Support last night and they responded this morning - astonishing as I expected to hear nothing for days. A very positive response where they have asked me to contact one of their local dealers to arrange a site visit and I have then to send that report plus original purchase docs to Panasonic Customer Support for review (and hopefully confirmation that they will repair FOC). Will advise outcome on this forum. Any other advice on how to proceed will be appreciated.

Colin
  19. panasonicwoe

panasonicwoe Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Panasonic have agreed to repair my TH-42PX600B by covering costs for new PDP + labour. Bill would be £534.79 for this normally. Customer Service at Panasonic have been outstanding - sent them the repair report last night and at 8:52 this morning they had contacted repair centre authorising repair. :smashin:

Can anyone please advise what type of new PDP will be fitted?? I'm sure the original part was faulty and would like to know what panel to expect. In fact - can anyone advise how I can check what has been fitted when it is returned to me??

Thanks again folks.

Colin
  20. paulr2006

paulr2006 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,599
    Should be the same panel but hopefully without the fault :)
  21. charlie chaplin

charlie chaplin Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I have just had the engineers take away my42 inch PX70B for the second time in a year, they replaced the last panel last year because of the green line issue and had no end of trouble with John lewis Watford( never using that branch again!)
    Now the engineers told me they were replacing the panel with the new one which didn't have the fault, picture has been stunning until the green line issue again.
    I called John lewis and tried to explain that the I had the new panel which shouldn't have this fault but obviously it does, John lewis are waiting for the repair estimate, but I have informed them I wouldnt be happy with another replacement panel and want a new Plasma/TV
    What are my chances?, bearing in mind it took JL 6 weeks to sort this out last time.
    TV bought Aug 2007, panel replaced last summer, now this its happened again.
  22. paulr2006

paulr2006 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,599
    They might offer you something like an X20 depending upon what the underwriters say but I'm guessing the cost would be similar :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  23. charlie chaplin

charlie chaplin Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thx Paul, if they do offer me another is that the model to go for? havent really looked up on what models are getting good feedback, been quite happy with my Panny until this happened again!
  24. ssjenkins

ssjenkins Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All .

My 4 year old , Spanish bought , 42" TH42PX71E has just decided to produce a nice little green line running down the middle of the screen . It cost me €1400 in 2007 so I'm not sure if it'll be worth getting it fixed . It has another little "quirk" in the winter months where the contrast will darken slightly on power-up and will only go back to normal once the unit has heated up .

Spanish law only gives you a 2 year guarantee so it looks like I'll be looking for a new set .

Sammy
  25. Lewie

Lewie Moderator

Ratings:
    +378
    My 43PX70 has just develpoed a blue vertical line just of centre, bought 4 years ago from Empire direct with non existant 5 yr warranty.
    Might chance an email to Panny CS.
  26. mat060572

mat060572 Member

Ratings:
    +28
    Sorry to ressurect such an old thread but my 37PX70 has developed this fault in the last week.

As the fault is inherent do you think I have a chance of Panasonic helping me out?
  27. Scooby2000

Scooby2000 Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,430
    You need to speak to your retailer first.
  28. ssjenkins

ssjenkins Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in Alicante . I wrote to Panasonic Spain . No reply . I then wrote to Panasonic Customer Services UK . No reply . I then sent a registered letter to Panasonic in Japan . 2 week later I got a call from Panasonic Spain apologising and they replaced my 4 year old screen free of charge . Just shows what you can do if you persist .

Sammy
  29. AVEngineer

AVEngineer Member

Ratings:
    +1
    You need to get your plasma to a Panasonic ASC, take your proof of purchase with you and ask them to send a Dealer Assistance request to Panasonic Customer Care for the cost of repair. There is usually an estimate charge to cover costs. Panasonic will then consider the request and may make a goodwill payment towards the cost of repair.
  30. stucarblne

stucarblne Active Member

Ratings:
    +376
    Does that usually mean meeting half way ?