Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic PT-AT5000E 3D Projector discussion/owners Thread - Review & Video now added

Discussion in 'Projectors' started by Phil Hinton, Jul 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hepps

Hepps Member

Ratings:
    +19
    zAndy1,

Not sure if this helps but with a mount with plenty of adjustment in the adaptor plate (see my post/picture on the Peerless mount) that screws to the projector you might have some flexibility in whether you fit the adaptor plate dead centre or slightly back to give greater clearance at the back ? But watch the air flow needed to the rear intake.

Hepps
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. steviedr

steviedr Active Member

Ratings:
    +267
    I take it attaching mount to 4 holes and not all 5 holes is fine?
    Hoping to not have to fork out for new bracket, have the premiere mount mentioned on the last page.
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  3. selwyn

selwyn Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Just got my AT5000 E on Tues, but new style 3d Glasses not available for couple of weeks, but managed to get 1 pair M size from local Comet last night.

I am a real fan of the Imax, seen all the 3D block busters there.

Put Avatar 3D on, had it for a while, playing through my OPPO 93 Blu Ray player on to a 120" Harkness Hall 1.2 gain screen, well how can I put this and I am not winding anyone up, ZERO Crosstalk, deep 3D, characters and objects leaning out of the screen with all the iridescent colours, then the definition from Blu Ray makes the Picture so SHARP in comparsion at the Imax looks like it is blown up from a DVD, I know it is big at the imax but I sit 5 meters from mine so the effect is simular.
    Got AT5000E on ECO, Dynamic, glasses on Light, bit of tweeking on OPPO 93 (same as use for my 63 Samsung Plasma 3D TV) Now time to play with settings, 2D works fine as well.
    I work in producing high end Media and am very fussy about vision, Have no connection with Panasonic, get a Demo, just the no crosstalk is the total business.

Cheers Selwyn
  4. RobinDB

RobinDB Member

Ratings:
    +28
    sounds good, still trying to sort out a deal on projector.

currently have prices a lot cheaper from outside of UK
  5. steviedr

steviedr Active Member

Ratings:
    +267
    I guess if you can wait until November when the JVC's come out assuming the reviews go well Panny might lower the price by a few hundred, but maybe wishful thinking.
  6. RobinDB

RobinDB Member

Ratings:
    +28
    currently I am seeing price of just under 3000 euros (£2608) from a dealer in europe and 3000 dollars from usa (£1948)

Both those include delivery, the USA one should have stock next week.

Happy to wait a week if I can save that much.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  7. Dav1dF

Dav1dF Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +1,528
    Don't forget that saving will be diminished once you take into account getting a step down transformer for the US one, and paying duty. At least you'd have a warranty serviceable product if bought from the UK.

Just a few thoughts.
  8. RobinDB

RobinDB Member

Ratings:
    +28
    All projectors are universal voltage.

And come with international warranty.

No duty from products purchased within EU. vat has to be paid if outside EU.
  9. steviedr

steviedr Active Member

Ratings:
    +267
    Do you know If you have to go through warranty for an issue, does it go to your US/EU supplier and then onto Panny or just straight to Panny US/Eur?
  10. RobinDB

RobinDB Member

Ratings:
    +28
    You go to your nearest panasonic service centre.
  11. Dav1dF

Ratings:
    +1,528
    I'm aware of the EU laws - I was referring more to the US one :)
  12. RobinDB

RobinDB Member

Ratings:
    +28
    If buying from outside EU, its not a problem, just vat added and they are universal voltage.
  13. Ideal AV

Ideal AV Well-Known Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +2,076
    i`m pretty certain, you`ll also incur shippers handling fees on top as well

and are you certain that a panasonic service center in the uk will repair non uk purchased items?

from making a few enquiries with UK authorised Panasonic service centres the warranty on US machines is 90 days, and you`d have to do the shipping if needed, after that your on your own i`m afraid according the them.
  14. Rickyj @ Kalibrate

Rickyj @ Kalibrate Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +1,017
    Not sure it is as easy as that for the US models. The international warranty only works for cameras, according to this link, so you will end up sending the projector back to the states if there is a problem. Then you have the problem of reimportation, and border control (double VAT etc).

Consumer law also tells you that you first port of call is with the retailer, and not the manufacturer, as your contract is with the retailer. Obviously some manufacturers ignore this, but they could be within their right to refer you back to the dealer.

The prices you have quoted. Do they include Avatar and the 2 sets of glasses? That could bump up the price by an extra £200+

Other considerations are HMRC. Are you ready for the fight to get back duty, if border control classify the package wrongly and charge you an extra 10% + VAT (it happens quite often).

Have you got yourself an EORI number? If the item is valued over a certain value (and this right on the limit at £2,000), you will have to have an EORI number even if you are not in business to import this into the EU.

Have you factored the processing charges at border control, the charges for converting the money, and the treatment of the projector in transit? Shipping one projector in a plane(s), is vastly different to shipping a pallet of them or even one domestically.

When you come to sell the projector, will an import be worth as much to the buyer as a UK model. Probably not....

Most of the above relate to the US version.

I am not saying you should definately have to buy from the UK, but you need to consider all the implications. Yes you will probably save some money at the beginning, but is it worth it in the long run.

One final question. Have you actually phoned any of the authorised dealers to get a quote. Dealers are meant to be passive on here, and not throwing deals down your throat, and thus it may be worth your time phoning a few dealers to see if they can offer any deals?
  15. steviedr

steviedr Active Member

Ratings:
    +267
    Are any At5000 owners using the PS3 to watch 3D blu ray?
    I'm wondering how it performs?
    I realise it can't output HD audio at the same time, but does it work nicely?
  16. Gliese 581c

Gliese 581c Active Member

Ratings:
    +484
    The PS3 is good enough for Criterion, it should be good enough for us ;) :D
  17. Dav1dF

Ratings:
    +1,528
    It'll look fine, but you should find that even today's budget models from the likes of Sony and Panasonic will look better on a good quality projector. You'll also find that higher quality Bluray players tend to give a more stable image with the likes of the opening scene of The Dark Knight.
  18. RobinDB

RobinDB Member

Ratings:
    +28

yes 3 1/2 days later still waiting for prices.

Also if any dealer would like to send me a pm then please do so.
    my credit card is at hand:)

The EU & US prices include shipping, there would be no vat from within EU.
    Yes and i relies i have to pay duty on price if purchased outside EU.

As for the glasses and avatar offer, the dealers I spoke to did not know any details of it or how to claim.
  19. Gliese 581c

Ratings:
    +484
    Seriously thinking about picking one of these up now, but really cant decide on wither I should keep my 16:9 screen or change it to a 2.35:1 screen
  20. Dav1dF

Ratings:
    +1,528
    I'm afraid that's against the rules :(
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  21. Hepps

Hepps Member

Ratings:
    +19
    steviedr,

Yes I think you will be fine using 4 or even 3 evenly spread holes. Make sure you have some M4 bolts - protrude max 9mm into the case (according to a warning on the projector).

On your q of using a PS3 for 3D - nope I am using the Panasonic DMP-BDT110 which whilst "cheap" (mine was £105 inc 7 free blu rays...) seems to do a great job with 2D and 3D. Thinking of upgrading at some point.

Your demo nearly here...

Hepps
  22. Hepps

Hepps Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Selwyn,

Glad you are enjoying your 5000 and there is another actual owner out there !

The update on the introductory bundled offer of 2 pairs of glasses and Avatar on 3D (not that it sounds like you need a copy so for e bay I guess) is that glasses are "on order" probably a few weeks before dealers wil get them in and be able to post them out. Avatar is the usual fill a form in that you get from the Panasonic UK website but last time I looked not posted there yet.

One quick question on your post - what did you mean by "glasses on light" ? Maybe I am missing a menu option somewhere.

Just had a pair of blue THX glasses arrive in the post so will try tweaking in earnest.

Thanks and enjoy,

Hepps
  23. Gliese 581c

Ratings:
    +484
    As I expected, the people saying crosstalk is completely gone, well are probably blind or in denial.

trustedreviews
    "Crosstalk, while not completely absent, appeared to be the lowest we've seen on any projector besides Sim2's staggering but £30k Lumis 3D-S"
  24. selwyn

selwyn Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Hi Hepps, the light setting with the glasses is an setting within the projectors 3D menu, there are 3 and it alters the time the glasses shutter is open and light gives the brightest settting.

Have put the lamp settting on to normal now for 3D and Eco for 2D as it is bright output.

I tried lot of 3D blu rays last night, inc P of C 4, no crosstalk problem, with the ones I tried, suggest person with the dought about it should get to see one ( the true way to test anything) and check it out for himself, which will be diffficut as I understand there wll be not be anymore coming in for a few weeks.

All this about importing them to save a few bob, would you want the average delivery treatment with a replacement bulb being possibly £700. and all that high tech stuff inside.

I collected mine from the very nice people at Forum HiFi, been customer for years, so no danger of it gettting damaged.

I'm and my wife very happy with it and that is all that matters.

Cheers
    Selwyn
  25. zara95

zara95 Member

Ratings:
    +31
    Trustedreviews only had a 20 mn demo with a beta model back in august.
    We should wait for real reviews.

And beeing "the lowest we've seen" is a good performance isn't it ?
    Even in movie theaters you might see some crosstalk or flicker.
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  26. Gliese 581c

Ratings:
    +484
    I agree and thats fine if thats whats stated in peoples comments, no-one is trying to hide that fact. I don't think anyone here is trying to hide the fact either, but if people here are saying there is no crosstalk yet someone from outside avforums says different then I really dont want to spunk away £3000 of my heard earned on 3D thats no different to my Acer H5360 which is a fraction of the cost.

I'll wait for more reviews I think as you say.
  27. MadScientist

MadScientist Member

Ratings:
    +39
    Or you could go and see for yourself. I intend to before spending my 3k.

MS
  28. selwyn

selwyn Member

Ratings:
    +12
    It nice to know that a veteran member does not seem to have read AV Forums Brill Phil Hinton first full test of the AT5000E, where on 3D performance is stated as "Absolutley No Cross Talk" in the first part of the 3D test, as I have found myself, but as I said before, you should check it out yourself.

Cheers
    Selwyn
  29. Gliese 581c

Ratings:
    +484
    Sorry, are you asking or telling, it's difficult to tell from a member which is the case ? The Brill Phil (that rhymes) Hinton is worth listening to, but I do not take Brill Phil's words as gospel and I didnt take much notice of your first 'thoughts' as you tested one movie and delared there is no crosstalk, not sure if that meant in avatar only or for everything you have not watched. I have recently seen your next post in which you said you tried 'lots' of blu-rays, not sure which ones or if trying a blu-ray means watching all of the movie, as crosstalk cant be seen in some scenes while in others it will be there. With you being an owner, I am definately interested in your thoughts, but (there's a name for it that completely escapes me) I do have to eliminate the fact that because you own it, you cant see that the crosstalk is there.
  30. Dav1dF

Ratings:
    +1,528
    I've seen clips of Alice In Wonderland and Avatar so far on the PTAE5000, and I didn't see see any issues, and I was looking for them.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.