1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic PT-AT5000E 3D Projector discussion/owners Thread - Review & Video now added

Discussion in 'Projectors' started by Phil Hinton, Jul 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spencer_uk

spencer_uk Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Thanks Shane - my screen is approx 80" wide which I think is about a 90" diagonal. Given the manual says to round it up in the event of it sitting inbetween a setting it looks like I'll set it to 100".

What are other people doing?
  2. Talux

Talux Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Bravgolf,

The post you made on page 22, along with the image.
    Can you let me know what mount you have used, along with where you bought it from?

I've been looking for a c/mount for some time.

Regards, Tal.
  3. bravogolf

bravogolf Member

Ratings:
    +103
    Sure, it's a Peerless precision projector mount. It's absolutely brilliant, I didn't realise or appreciate how helpful the fine adjustments in the stand would be until I used them! It's quite expensive though.
  4. mohawk

mohawk Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hello all.
    just got my 1st pj,50 hours turnaround to get the update done(I'll have to assume it's fixed as it is not being set up for a couple of weeks.
    set up will be as follows
    PT-AT 5000
    Pana dmp-bdt 100
    Anthem MRX 300
    panoview screen (2200mm wide) short term unless it's good
    Leema speakers - xyp's for fronts(passing through my 2 channel)
    xero's rears and also 2 at the very back of the lounge
    xenter
    Quad L sub and another sub yet to buy ,about £400,open to suggestions.
    All chord cables as all of my 2 channel uses it and I'm very pleased with it.

extremely excited,hoping for something quite special.
  5. charles

charles Member

Ratings:
    +11
    DHL returned my projector on Wednesday.A fantastic turn round at Panasonic,since they only received the item on Monday.It would be interesting to see how quick other manufacturers are.I had problems with a Sony projector a few years ago and it took around 3weeks to be repaired and sent back to the dealer.
    Charles
  6. nigpd

nigpd Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Starting my installation today. First job is put together an H frame between the joists to screw the Peerless ceiling mount to. Luckily I live in a bungalow.

Second job, attach the pj to the mount, connect it up (I've already run the cables), project the image to the wall, decide the best screen position, then fit the 95" Beamax 10501 A Velvet screen.

sounds simple, doesn't it :thumbsup:
  7. bravogolf

bravogolf Member

Ratings:
    +103
    Probably take a while but enjoy it :)
  8. nigpd

nigpd Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Yep, you were right BG, it did take a while. The pj is fixed firmly through the ceiling plasterboard to a 4"x2" H frame I built between the joists. That baby aint gonna move :D

Thanks to Shane at Roy Jowett, I managed to construct the screen. Thanks go to Beamax for not putting any instructions in the box :thumbsdow

I fitted the screen to the wall with huge spring toggle bolts. That baby aint going anywhere either :D

Just mangaged to get a picture by about 9pm ish so didnt have time to do much fine tuning. First impressions as you can imagine are fantastic - brilliant IQ straight out of the box, so it can only get better.

All I need to do now is dig further in to the manual and work out how to tweek zoom, keystone etc to get the image centrered perfectly on the screen, together with the adjustments on the Peerless ceiling mount
  9. EL Dukeo

EL Dukeo Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Sent my pj and received it back in 48 hours cant fault panasonic there. Have really been messing with various 3d settings and am now really happy and getting a pretty much crosstalk free pic. The only reason I would get this years model is if it has the 4k res upscale like the x7, I can wish right!
  10. nigpd

nigpd Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I have the PT-AT5000E ceiling mounted, with the top of the screen almost in line with the lens.

I'm struggling to get my picture set up and wondering if anyone of you good people could help?

when I go in to the POSITION menu and adjust the keystone, I need to set it at -7 to get a nice square image. Then when I go back in to LENS CONTROL to adjust the zoom to fit the image nicely to the screen size, there is massive keystoning from bottom to top.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance for any help
  11. bravogolf

bravogolf Member

Ratings:
    +103
    Is the image larger on the top and narrower on the bottom? Or the other way round? Sounds like it isn't horizontal, got a spirit level
  12. nigpd

nigpd Member

Ratings:
    +5
    The image is narrower at the top. The image is horizontal though. Because of the adjustment possible from the Peerless mount, it's spot on horizontal
  13. bravogolf

bravogolf Member

Ratings:
    +103
    If it's narrower on top and wider on bottom then it means that, whilst the projector is perfectly horizontal left to right it isn't forward to back. Basically it's leaning forward ever so slightly. As it leans forward the lens on the bottom is ever so slightly further back causing the image on the bottom to be wider.

It's easy to fix with the superb Peerless mount. First check that you've got the projector centre of gravity right (that the bracket which attaches to the projector is effortlessly holding up the projector from it's middle.). After that just use the fine tuning adjustments on the mount to ensure that it's perfectly horizontal from left side to right side and front to back. If you don't have a spirit level (though I recommend using one), you can just disable keystone and use the image as a guage to ensuring it's lined up correctly. Hope this helps!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. widescreen

widescreen Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I'm interested in upgrading my Panasonic AX100 to an AT5000 but have a few questions. Has anyone had dry/tired eyes using the active glasses. I used to get it quite bad on an older Samsung Active 3D LCD tv, so I moved to a passive LG 3D TV and don't experience that issue anymore. I'm not sure on the flicker rate of these Panasonic glasses but I assume they're faster than the older Samsung active TVs.

Also can anyone run a 3D ghosting torture test, i.e. the Disney short "Working for Peanuts" cartoon from the Disney 3D showcase blu-ray? That shows up ghosting like nothing else and I don't see any ghosting with that on the passive LG TV. After bad experiences with ghosting on the Samsung TV this could be a deal breaker.
  15. nigpd

nigpd Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the detailed reply BG, but I have a numpty question. If the pj is perfectly level left to right and front to back, and the lens is positioned just about level with the top of the screen, do I use the lens shift lever to bring the image down to fill the screen and then use the keystone adjustment to bring the all square on the screen?
  16. bravogolf

bravogolf Member

Ratings:
    +103
    You use lens shift to bring the image down to fit the screen but you shouldn't have to use lens shift at all. Is the screen you're projecting onto at perfectly right angles with the wall? If it is then it could be that the projector isn't at a perfect 90 degree angle and is turned ever so slightly to the left or right.

When I set up mine, for example, with the same mount as you, my image was in about an inch in the bottom right from the screen border. Not that bad but once I took the projector back down, rotated slightly the bracket in the ceiling (loosening bolts then rotating) a fraction then put the projector back on it was perfect!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. nigpd

nigpd Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Right, I've got it. When I get back from Edinburgh on Friday, I'll give it a go. Thanks again for the help, and I'll let you know how I get on :thumbsup:
  18. charles

charles Member

Ratings:
    +11
    The projector was re installed by Sevenoaks yesterday but there is no 3D only 2D.
    Checked out the Panasonic 310 Blu -Ray player and tried sending the signal direct to the projector but still no joy.
    The projector was returned to Panasonic because of this fault(it had worked fine with 3D discs)
    They have replaced the software and updated the firmware for the Sky/BBC 3D broadcasts.
    Panasonic tested the unit before dispatch and it worked fine.
    Is there someting obvious that I have overlooked?
    Charles
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  19. Rickyj @ Kalibrate

Rickyj @ Kalibrate Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +975
    Have you tried another HDMI cable? I know it worked before, but worth a try, even if you have to move the player right next the proj temporarily to make the connection.
  20. charles

charles Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks for your suggestion-yes I have tried another HDMI cable both from the Panasonic 310 to the Onkyo 809 receiver and also direct from the 310 to the projector.
    At the beginning of Avitor I get the message that the blu-ray player has not recognised a 3D viewing sorce.

I have also connected a Freesat box direct to the projector which works fine with normal and HD programmes and recordings,a SVHS video recorder and a Panasonic Hi Def camcorder-both work fine.
    A Panasonic engineer from Cardiff is phoning tomorrow to see if we can sort out the problem without the unit having to be returned again.
    Charles
  21. bravogolf

bravogolf Member

Ratings:
    +103
    Sounds like the blu-ray player is at fault if that's presenting you with an error ...
  22. stretcher

stretcher Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Here's a strange thing that happened last night.

At the end of "The King's Speech", the end credits started rolling and then faded to a very dim image gradually - stayed like that for about two/three minutes then suddenly came back up to normal brightness. My daughter said the same thing happened when she was watching a BD (but couldn't remember which one)

Hadn't noticed any change with the picture itself during the film. Any ideas? The player is an Oppo BDP93.

Didn't think of trying it again as we were all knackered and late to bed!
  23. nigpd

nigpd Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Just a quick update. Set up the pj as per BG's advice, spirit level setting the Peerless mount perfectly level so all good. Adjusted the lens and the result is a bob on image.

All I need to do now is run the pj through the 100 hours then get it properly calibrated by a professional :thumbsup:

Thanks for the help BG
  24. spencer_uk

spencer_uk Member

Ratings:
    +37
    100 hours? Is that some kind of recommended run in period? Is that with the lamp at Eco or normal?
  25. nigpd

nigpd Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I remember reading on one of the calibrator's websites about not getting it done until at least 100 hours in
  26. ShanePJ

ShanePJ Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +232
    Yeah! 100hrs is a minimum. Lamps fluctuate quite a bit in the opening 100hrs. Usually you won't get a calibrator to touch your projector unless it has passed this point.

Once you do get it done though It's well worth it. I've aways been amazed at how much more you can get out of a projector once you have had it done.

Greens, blacks, yellow, blues, sharpness everything just looks more realsitic.

Regards, Shane.
  27. Hepps

Hepps Member

Ratings:
    +19
    I second that Shane. Mine looks great post professional calibration.

My only gripe, and not the calibrator's fault, is that Pana don't give you access to the full calibration menus when emitting a 3D signal, so a full pro calibration that takes into account the view/loss of light through the glasses is not possible.

Hepps
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  28. allanrickman

allanrickman Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Hi everyone,

was seriously considering buying this projector. Just had two quick questions.

First, would you recommend this replacing my 55inch LED TV?? I do have blackout curtains in the room it would go in and watch 4-5 hours of TV at most on my days off.

Second, i read about the issues with Sky 3D. If i buy the projector now will it be likely to have the updated firmware that fixes this issue? or will i have to send it straight back off to Panasonic for a firmware upgrade?? (is there a way to check? can you see what firmware it is on in the settings?)

Oh and just to be SUPER sure, this projector, being a LCD projector has no rainbow effect right? my last projector was a DLP and the rainbow effect drove me insane.
  29. bravogolf

bravogolf Member

Ratings:
    +103
    The projectors great but wouldn't recommend replacing a TV but that's just me. You could always try it but keep the TV as backup :)

Can't answer your question on the firmware but Panasonic are very approachable over the phone if you needed to call them to double check. In any event it sounds like getting them to update the firmware is quick and easy.

Correct re: rainbow, it's an LCD projector so you shouldn't experience any effect comparable to the DLP projector but you should nevertheless endeavour to have a demo of the project before you buy, not always possible I admit (I just bought mine online)
  30. allanrickman

allanrickman Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I know its a bit of a long shot but before i spend over £2000 can someone please take photo with the rooms lights on, i want to see what it looks like in normal room conditions.

Thank you!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.