Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic Plasma's!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by MrCoolxx, Feb 20, 2012.

1. MrCoolxx

MrCoolxx Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My problems with Panasonic Plasmas
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  2. chinaman99

chinaman99 Member

Ratings:
    +65
    I'm guessing you've had a bad experience ?

Would you care to elaborate?
  3. MrCoolxx

MrCoolxx Member

Ratings:
    +0
    sure it's a long story it started 1 night on X Box playing Borderlands. Of course i paused my game for 4 hours = screen burn. I came on net next day looking for ways to get rid of it bought and tried J ScreenFix ran it for long periods of time no luck. Then i moved on to screen protector ran all the screen washes on it it did fade the screen burn but didn't remove it entirely. My next stage was to ring my retailer i bought it from as it was still under guarantee. He told me to try Panasonic he said i had been very unlucky and said if i had a problem to ring him back. I tried Panasonic 1st time was told they don't guarantee against screen burn IR. I rung Panasonic back got two numbers from them of engineers. Managed to get hold of one they came next day picked my set up and said they would either contact me the same day or the day after. A whole week went by no call or nothing from engineers at one point i didn't know who had my set at one point as i had two numbers and forgot who had took my set. I eventually got my set back screen burn had faded but was still there. It wasn't that noticeable so i tried to put it out of my mind etc. Last week i was on a text screen for 20 - 30 mins why texting etc i got retention again it did go but i had to run Screen Protector white screen in order to get rid of it. I wasn't happy so today run my retailer and Panasonic and Consumer Direct retailer and Panasonic didn't want to do anything for me at all. Even though i bought my tv last June 2011. I thinking contacting Consumer Direct again tomorrow but failing that then i am stuck with a Panasonic that can get screen retention after 30 mins but not perment.
  4. MrCoolxx

MrCoolxx Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I thought about consumer Direct Insurance or even selling it really cheap on Ebay or something. My worry is this has having a PS3 and a X Box my tv could get more retention maybe even more screen burn in time. Apparently gaming on a Panasonic plasma is abusing your tv as i had this threw at me on several occasions on the phone.
  5. Badger0-0

Badger0-0 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,008
    So you paused a game on a plasma screen for 4 hours and are surprised when you have screen burn :confused:

I must be missing something, but sorry, my immediate reaction is;

:laugh:
  6. MrCoolxx

MrCoolxx Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thanx!
  7. Badger0-0

Ratings:
    +2,008
    I am sympathetic, but what were you thinking?
    I don't understand why anyone would want to pause something for that long.

Did you not know that static images are a risk?
    And even if you didn't, there are warnings about this sort of thing in the manual.
  8. woppy101

woppy101 Member

Ratings:
    +65
    Panasonic cover them selfs buy putting in the manual don't leave stationery objects on the screen for prolonged periods of time,so you should of read the manual.someone told me a while ago that it takes 10x the time to get rid of the IR,so if it came after 4hrs of a constant picture it's going to take about 40hrs of contant scrolling to get rid of it.Moral of the story don't leave your plasma tv on pause for a STUPID amount of time!!!
  9. MrCoolxx

MrCoolxx Member

Ratings:
    +0
    A small box at the start of the manuel very missable really as who reads the first two pages of a manuel? I had heard of screen burn yea but for 4 hours? some one got screen burn after 3 hours and they eventually got their set changed. Panasonic are not perfect by any standards. Green tinge, picture flicker. Maybe best suited for tv watching but not suitable for consoles.
  10. MrCoolxx

MrCoolxx Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was on the phone it happens Panasonic are not making tvs for consumption and are still making old tech. When Oleds arrive and been out for a while then you see the death of the plasma. As for Pansaonic covering them selves then they should of put some kind of protection to prevent this from happening. Screen burn should be a thing of the past as they been making plasmas for years so there's no excuse really for them.
  11. woppy101

woppy101 Member

Ratings:
    +65
    It's not screen burn its very stubben IR which will go eventually,as I said for a static image of 4hrs it could take up to 40 constant hrs to shift
  12. MrCoolxx

MrCoolxx Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yea it probably will in time but it's the stress and upset it causes in the mean time. Not only that but what about Vidzone or any channel with a logo on mtv yes it go but chances are you have it back with something else and so the process starts again.
  13. woppy101

woppy101 Member

Ratings:
    +65
    There has been talk of some oled having IR and screen burn,look at a few of the galaxy s's
  14. woppy101

woppy101 Member

Ratings:
    +65
    How many channel logos no stay on for 4hrs solid next to none now,sky now seem to take the channel logos off on adds
  15. MrCoolxx

MrCoolxx Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well you won't know till the tvs arrive on the market. I got a I Phone 4 and Ipod and never had a problem with the displays at all.
  16. Badger0-0

Ratings:
    +2,008
    I was tempted to say you were unlucky, but you weren't in reality.
    4 hours is a long time, simple.
    In fact I think Panasonic would class it as abuse.
    Who pauses a telly for 4 hours?

I've seen AVF reviews of other brands that mention retention after minutes, let alone hours, so there is no way Panasonic are the worst in that regard.

As for the other issues, I agree, they're having problems of late.
  17. MrCoolxx

MrCoolxx Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Nickeldian as someone has had this ir mtv does as far as i am aware. Vidzone on ps3 will have some sort of text and logo. Any way i ir after 30 mins the other night not 4 or 3 or even 2 hours 30 mins!
  18. woppy101

woppy101 Member

Ratings:
    +65
    The iPhone or iPod doesn't have an oled screen
  19. woppy101

woppy101 Member

Ratings:
    +65
    That's the way plasma technology works,every plasma tv gets IR on some it lasts for a few seconds on some it can last for tens of hours
  20. MrCoolxx

MrCoolxx Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes they definitely loss ground to their rivals in a big way!
  21. woppy101

woppy101 Member

Ratings:
    +65
    The lg and Samsung tvs I had before I got my pioneer would get IR after around 15 minutes and would last for hours,the pioneers IR lasts for a matter of seconds and is then gone
  22. MrCoolxx

MrCoolxx Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well plasma reaching the end of it's shelf life looking at the shops.
  23. Scooby2000

Scooby2000 Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,410
    Yep OLED can get IR though don't know how bad. My Galaxy S never did, now have the S2:) OLEDs old hat anyway I want a Sony CLED:D:devil:
  24. woppy101

woppy101 Member

Ratings:
    +65
    Plenty of life left in plasma yet! well until OLED becomes affordable £4000+ for a 55inch when you an get a 60 inch plasma for £1500-2500
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  25. woppy101

woppy101 Member

Ratings:
    +65
    +1
  26. Scooby2000

Ratings:
    +2,410
    4k for a 55" is very good, my brothers old 42" Pio cost him 5k 8 years ago and Kuros were around the 4k mark not long ago. Give it maybe 2 years and the prices will drop a lot, Sony are hinting on releasing their CLED sooner than expected and at a competitive price. 2013 could be a very interesting year.
  27. Curry Monster

Curry Monster New Member

Ratings:
    +270
    Maybe for the masses who do not care about picture quality...I feel sorry the fact you have IR but leaving a screen on for 4 hours was always going to do that...

LEDs can also suffer from screen burn - so no screen is perfect...

Does your screen have any other 'green' issues that could get your screen replaced...?:rolleyes:
  28. MultiRoom

MultiRoom Member

Ratings:
    +25
    You sure you're going to cope? Hey, we're all here for you.

Be strong, I know it seems like the end of the world, but things will get better, I promise.

Let me know if you need a chat any time. Together, and with the grace of Gad, we can get through this.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  29. MrCoolxx

MrCoolxx Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Update i sent a letter to my retailer as advised by consumer direct. But all this is gonna take time until then i'm stuck with this set. But reading the Forums i now understand i'm not the only one to have problem with a Panasonic set. Did everyone get a full refund i ask, regarding the green tinge?
  30. Scooby2000

Ratings:
    +2,410
    My retailer has given me a full refund, but theyre a good store, as Panasonic refuse to refund some retailers are trying it on. IR wise just relax itll go over time;)