Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic Japanese Press trip Blog

Discussion in 'Articles' started by Phil Hinton, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton Editor Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,380
    17:10hrs Monday 28th February – Tokyo Japan.

Hello from Tokyo where I have just landed after an 11-hour flight from the UK. The purpose of my trip out east is the result of an invitation from Panasonic to witness their new PDP and LCD factories as well as getting the low down on the technology included in the 2011 TV product and perhaps some future tech?

I have been told that there are no NDA’s in place for my trip here and I am free to ask questions concerning the Panasonic product range. Sadly I won’t be able to make a video of the trip with interviews and clips of the factories because of the black box technology likely to be on show. However, I will be doing my best to blog about what I see over the next four days before heading back to blighty.

At this moment in time I am sat with two other UK journalists in the domestic departures lounge for our flight to Osaka and our visit to Panasonic’s factories and testing labs. So stay tuned to my blog as I will be updating on everything I see while out here and hopefully there will be some really interesting technology to talk about.
  2. Phil Hinton

Ratings:
    +5,380
    10am – Tuesday 1st March 2011

Himeji LCD Panel plant

[​IMG]

So, our first port of call on this Panasonic Japanese tour is the IPS Alpha panel plant at Himeji. This is a brand new purpose built facility, which began operations in April 2010. The plant currently manufactures 32 and 42-inch IPS-a panels, producing 405,000 panels per month (building to 810,000 this month) and shipping them to Panasonic's flat panel TV assembly sites around the world.

Our visit included a presentation about the plant on a 103 PDP panel, before we had a general tour of the facilities and then a question and answer session.

The panel production here at Himeji is just for the IPS-a panel on 7 production lines that are highly automated and extremely efficient. Once the panel has been made and cut, they are shipped to assembly plants in Malaysia and the Czech republic to be fitted with the drive board and backlight before final assembly into the finished flat panel TV. I was amazed at the efficiency of the panel production line, which requires minimal supervision by an operator and works around the clock. Each stage has been carefully timed and the custom robots make sure that there are never any hold ups in the line. By developing the production line in this manner and working out the most efficient way of cutting the master glass means that the plant has made significant savings in water and power use, with no waste of master glass. This is a highly impressive sight to see. All of the press had to stand behind windows to view the production line.

[​IMG]

It is clear that Panasonic has invested a lot of time, effort and money into making this IPS-a facility as efficient and productive as they can.

[​IMG]

It is also clear that Panasonic intend to keep producing LCD TVs even though they are a well established Plasma manufacturer. This years IPS-a panels boast higher light transmission rates, higher motion resolution, deeper blacks, energy efficiency and the widest viewing angle of any LCD panel. We were given product demonstrations with the new panels with 3D material as well as motion resolution tests and tricky playback material. The response time of the new IPS-a panel was highlighted in great detail through the product demonstration with 3D playback demos. The new shorter liquid crystal layout coupled with a faster panel driver allows Panasonic to cut down the image build in the panel to 2ms which should mean less visible crosstalk issues with 3D material, and better motion resolution with normal 2D material. Certainly the demos given were impressive and highlighted the points being made.

During the Q&A session the biggest piece of information given was the decision by Panasonic to scrap any full LED (direct backlight) TVs from it's product development. It was stated that after extensive market research it was felt that direct backlight LED with local dimming was not a viable option in the present market due to cost. They argued that at the screen sizes being produced and with the strong performance of the IPS-a panel, that any performance gains using direct LED backlighting over Edge LED sets were negligible. It was also mentioned that VA panels whilst good in direct viewing circumstances with direct LED backlighting, couldn't match an IPS-a panel being edge lit in overall performance. So, don't expect any direct LED Backlight TVs with local dimming from Panasonic any time soon.

Also don't expect any LCD TVs from the company with what they described as marketing gimmicks, say something like an additional coloured pixel.

So, that was our visit to the LCD production facility and we are now on the road again with a 2 hour drive back to Osaka and a visit to the Panasonic museum. More later!

There will be a full article with images and full details of what was seen at the end of the week.
    • Thanks Thanks x 13
  3. Phil Hinton

Ratings:
    +5,380
    3pm 1st March 2011

Konosuke Matsupoopa Museum, Kadoma City, Osaka

This afternoon we have spent a few hours going around the Museum dedicated to the foundation, and founder of Panasonic. This included an in-depth presentation on the Business Spirit of the founder and his principles of how to do business. This is something that Panasonic take very seriously and they do their best to continue to follow the Ethos of the teachings handed down by the company founder.

On display were the first ever products developed by the company, a light fitting for Japanese households to tap into the electricity supply provided by the lighting. Back then there were no wall sockets so his invention led to people being able to use electrical items in their homes for the first time.

Also on show were the first products to make an impact on the market by the company, such as the first TVs, the first direct drive turntables and the first video recording devices, amongst others. It was a fascinating look at just how Panasonic still use the ethos of the founder and interestingly, when there is a recession his book receives a sales boost due to his ideas on how to run a business.

Tomorrow we head for the Panasonic recycling plant as well as a Tour of the Plasma factory, stay tuned.

One thing about this trip is the fact that Panasonic have squeezed as much as possible into the schedule, which means that my updates can only happen when I get a chance to sit down and write. So, I will update as soon as I can.
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
  4. Phil Hinton

Ratings:
    +5,380
    10am 2nd March 2011

Panasonic Eco Technology Center (PETEC) Kato City

Our first stop of the day is Panasonic's Eco Technology Centre where the company recycle products such as CRT and Flat Panel TVs, Air Conditioning units, washing machines and Fridge Freezers. The centre was set up in 2001 in response to tightening Government legislation on recycling and the facility has its own research and development unit to find the best way to dismantle and reuse what they can from old products. As it is also law in Japan for companies to do this, they also dismantle not only Panasonic goods, but are obliged to do so with competitor's items.

I will cover the centre in more detail in my round-up article, but it was a fascinating look at just how difficult recycling can be and the great lengths that companies such as Panasonic go to make sure they do their part for the environment. In fact the Eco message has been strong at every venue we have visited on this trip. Their Plasma factory that we visit this afternoon is 100% efficient with no waste, astonishing really when you think about it.
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  5. Phil Hinton

Ratings:
    +5,380
    3pm 2nd March 2011

Panasonic Plasma Display Factory Amagasaki

This has so far been my highlight of the tour and we were given unprecedented access to ask questions and explore the production line process of making a plasma panel. For 2011 all Full HD panels produced use the same short stroke phosphor and this has meant even better efficiency for the plant.

I am running out of time at the moment as the bus is waiting to leave, so I will update what I saw in the blog later and rest assured there will be an in-depth explanation in my full article when I return home.
  6. Phil Hinton

Ratings:
    +5,380
    9am -5pm Thursday 3rd March
    Panasonic AVC Centre, Panasonic HQ Osaka

Today is the last of our press tour here in Japan and has been by far the most interesting.

It is unheard of for AV Manufacturers to be completely open with the press and to answer difficult questions and actively seek feedback on their products. But it is safe to say that Panasonic have been astonishingly frank, honest and open during our day long conference today. There have been presentations on the business strategy, product development as well as going through the 2011 TV line in great detail. No question raised went without an answer of some kind and not once did we get any reply such as ‘We can't answer that'. The access given to the small party of journalists here has been unprecedented and Panasonic need to be congratulated with being so open.

Of course today was the opportunity to finally put some of the most discussed topics regarding Panasonic TVs to the actual engineers and product development staff. We were also encouraged to ask about the future and what possible products we may see. I had a whole list of questions and every one of them was answered and in the case of one question I asked, they even set up an impromptu demonstration.

This update has to remain quite short as I only have 30 mins to post before heading out for dinner, but I have included all the major questions I know forum members will want to know about.

So, let's start with the now infamous 50Hz issue that owners have complained about and indeed something I see on my VT20. It appears that communication of the exact problem has broken down somewhere in the process of feeding back the exact issue that members have reported.

The engineers initially thought that when we mentioned football as the main content where it is visible, it was the movement of the ball that was the issue. However, they did set up an impromptu demonstration with a 2010 G20 and a 2011 VT30 next to each other showing a short football clip in SD at 50Hz. While the engineers pointed out the better motion of the football as it travelled over the crowd, they were unaware of the exact issue we have seen here in the UK where the actual picture breaks up with fast panning moves; with lines on the pitch breaking down to component parts. I politely pointed this issue out to our hosts using the footage on screen and showing them exactly what the issue was. I also gave them the full details of our testing carried out over the last year as well as mentioning that it doesn't appear on their competitor's screens.

I have to take my hat off to the Panasonic engineers and staff here as after a few quick discussions between the team I was informed that they would be investigating the issue fully and they would come back to us. The plus point here is that there is no chance of the issue now being misunderstood as I had the opportunity to point it out directly to the actual engineering staff and that's the best way. Again it was evidence of the company being fully open and listening to feedback.

So, was the issue there on the VT30? Yes, it was there if slightly less obvious than last year and hopefully something can be done to remove it completely by the time we get the production samples.

The next thing I know members will want an answer too is floating blacks that have been reported by some users. I was told that this issue is not present on the 2011 models. Next was the question of MLL Black level rising and again it was stated that this was not an issue on the 2010/11 sets.

2:2 cadence detection? Yes we have it for 2011 line. For film and video.

Posturisation, will be very much viewer dependent but excessive instances need to be reported with examples of when it happens. I have been asked to feed this back with examples.

Definitely no V30 model this year. The product line is set for the year and there is no high-end 2D V series and that's direct from the TV development team! Rumour stops here.

All Panasonic plasma models, including the entry level 720p panels are Panasonic made. With the LCD models if it is an IPS-a model then it is a Panasonic made panel, if it is not an IPS-a model then it will have a suppliers panel. Usually in all cases where it is not a Panasonic panel they use the same supplied panel until that model ends its production run. So no panel lottery with Panasonic LCDs.

Marketing demands that only 55 and 65 inch in high-end Plasma models this year for Europe, so only in the VT30 line. We were told that the small demand in Europe costs too much to develop for our market, whereas the US market demands more models and sells more models in volume that makes the product development for that market sustainable, unlike the smaller European demand.

No firm details on Viera tablet due to the development of the market place, such as working with mobile companies etc and market research is still on going even in the home Japanese market. We may not see it this year.

2D – 3D conversion will steadily improve, but it is difficult due to limitations of the 2D signal, which has no parallax information, which makes it difficult. Even with a faster processor it all depends on the incoming video signal along with algorithms and processing to determine what the end result will be.
    It will never be a promoted feature with Viera. It should improve going forward but is not a key focus for the company, as they want to promote real 3D over any converted 2D mode. Still limited information from the market to what end users think in the mass market. There is no significant cost to having this feature on board.

Panasonic claim that they have bettered the black technology shown by Pioneer back at CES 2008 in the famous floating ring demo and it is already incorporated in this year's VT30. I have to say it is very black and looks very Pioneer kuro like. There was an ex-pioneer engineer in the room who confirmed this is the case. Will be interesting to fully test this when we get the review models in.

Panasonic not interested at all in 21:9 screen sizes and will be sticking to 16:9

4K2K is possible and a technology that Panasonic have in their future plans, however, they very much want to wait until there is a market to release such a product. When I asked about the fact Onkyo have released a receiver with 4K upsampling and likely to be followed by others they said that they might then consider looking again at when they might release a consumer 4K2K screen. It is very much dependent on the market and at the moment they don't quite see it as the right timing to release such a product.

And that rounds up my quick blog post for tonight. I have lots more information to talk about as well as images of the trip. I will be publishing a full article on my return to the UK, so stay tuned for that.

For those interested the following Panasonic representatives were present and answering questions posed;

Mr.Hirotoshi Uehara
    Director, TV BU

Mr.Masayoshi Fujii
    Director, Consumer & System Marketing Centre

Mr.Yoshihisa Tatsumi
    Senior GM, Overseas Consumer Marketing Group

Mr.Kenji Yasuhara
    GM, Europe Consumer Marketing Group

Mr.Hideyo Uwabata
    GM, R&D

Mr.Nobuhiro Kitano
    Team Leader, PDP R&D

Mr.Isshin Kinugawa
    Team Leader, LCD R&D

Mr.Hiroki Urakawa, Mr.Toshihiro Takagi
    Product Planning

Ms.Rie Takeuchi, Mr.Takuya Koyado, Mr.Daisuke Katayama, Mr.Ted Oguri,
    Mr.Hirokazu (Mitch) Mitsuda
    Europe Consumer Marketing Group
    • Thanks Thanks x 31
  7. Safundi

Safundi Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Phil, great blog so far:

I'm looking to nab a 32/37DT30 for pc monitor,occasional console gaming and blu-ray, as my wife has commandeered 'my' 42v20 plasma as her own for soaps and series in HD :D

So please provide us with a in-depth impression of the performance of the DT30 ?:thumbsup:

Thanks in advance
  8. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie New Member

Ratings:
    +1,459
    Interesting stuff! Are you enjoying the sushi? :D
  9. Phil Hinton

Ratings:
    +5,380
    Mark will have a full review of the 37-inch DT30 on the site very soon.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Phil Hinton

Ratings:
    +5,380
    It has been a really interesting and eye opening trip so far, lots more to come with the blog and the the final article. As for the food, there has only been one meal so far where I couldn't find anything to eat, as those who don't know me will not know my dislike of any fish or seafood. We had Kobe beef tonight and that was stunning! They feed the cows beer and massage them to get the most tender steaks ever. Certainly the best I have ever tasted. The country and it's people are also interesting for a first timer.
  11. Mark Hodgkinson

Mark Hodgkinson Reviewer & News Writer Staff Member

Ratings:
    +3,353
    Now that's the life, well until the inevitable at least:D
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. dave24

dave24 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    WOW! If they manage to fix the 50hz bug before release, we might see some truly amazing displays here in the UK. Cadence detection, kuro blacks and a full 3d CMS, it's looking great. Hopefully there gonna be affordable as well. I'm a student and would love to get a 42" G30 come September if the price is within my small budget :thumbsup:
  13. LicensedTaximan

LicensedTaximan Active Member

Ratings:
    +329
    Here's waiting (with bated breath) on your reviews on the real world versions of the European GT and VT30 series. As I have said before let's hope these latest Panny's, at least the VT....and who knows maybe even the GT models, are on par or even better than the famed Pioneer's for their "Kuro" black levels. Thanks Phil. :thumbsup:

PS: Let's hope that the UK prices will be reasonable for the technology.
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  14. Martyo

Martyo Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Whoa, well done Phil and well done Panasonic! This has certainly improved the way I look at the company.

It would be great if this could happen every year - the fact they weren't aware of the 50hz issue after all this time just goes to prove how essential direct communication with the engineers can be.

Panasonic would get critical product feedback, free positive PR, and we'd all get better products and better knowledge of what's to come. It's win-win for everybody, and it's more fitting for the modern social communications age we're in.
  15. mikelj

mikelj Active Member

Ratings:
    +257
    Does this mean that any new commercial models introduced in 2011 will also use the same panels as their Viera counterparts?
  16. Phil Hinton

Ratings:
    +5,380
    Yes, all the panels used come from the same production lines, i.e P4 factory does 42 and 50-inch, P5 the 65 and 152-inch and so on. Only the drive, processing and filters change.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Canti1982

Canti1982 Member

Ratings:
    +96
    Thanks Phil, If Panasonic can sort out the 50hz issues that have been reported then I think they might be on to a real winner with the VT's.

"Marketing demands that only 55 and 65 inch in high-end Plasma models this year for Europe" I guess this mean we will not get a 50" model then, If the other half asks it's a 50 ;)

This might be just the set to replace my Pioneer 428xd :smashin:
  18. benefabio

benefabio Member

Ratings:
    +0
    @ Phil Hinton
    were you in contact with the Panasonic engineers for future developments on the resolution of the problems of artifacts at 50 hz?
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2011
  19. Dorset Dave

Dorset Dave Member

Ratings:
    +29
    Can't wait, I'm interested in the 37" model. Oh please let the review be good!
  20. LicensedTaximan

Ratings:
    +329
    I believe that there is a 50 inch for Europe, unless you are referring to the fact that wifey's / partner's or girlfriend's are easily fooled into thinking that a 55 inch + display........isn't. :D Unfortunately my wifey is a schoolteacher (special needs) and her core subject is maths, so no hope there then. :rolleyes:

By the way Phil have a safe return.
  21. Earthscope

Earthscope Member

Ratings:
    +19
    "Marketing demands that only 55 and 65 inch in high-end Plasma models this year for Europe" I guess this mean we will not get a 50" model then, If the other half asks it's a 50 ;)

I believe those are the American sizes.:) if you check the UK Panasonic Website, the VT30 comes in 42,50,55,65 for use living in the UK. Also I have called (Three Independent Suppliers) and they all said the VT30 would be available in 50".
  22. LicensedTaximan

Ratings:
    +329
    That's what I saw, so no 46 incher....oh dear that means (given a decent write up) I will have to go for the 50 inch one then, sigh :thumbsup: :clap: :cool: :arty:
  23. peedroo

peedroo Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Phil.
    First of all my congratulations for all your info about the new Panasonic plasma line.
    My question is:
    Those artifacts at 50Hz could be corrected in the future with a simple firmware update? or it must be with some hardware exchange?

Thanks
    Pedro
  24. Martyo

Martyo Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I think you've misunderstood the quote. It's not cost effective to provide 55" and 65" sizes in the GT (mid range) and ST (low end) sizes in Europe due to low demand. i.e. people who can afford a 55" or 65" screen are much more likely to want a high-end (VT) series TV.

Therefore the US will have 55" and 65" sizes in the VT (high end), GT (mid range) and ST (low end) series, whereas Europe will only have 55" and 65" sizes in the VT (high end) series.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  25. LicensedTaximan

Ratings:
    +329
    Taken from the UK / Ireland Panasonic site.

The top-of-the-line VIERA VT30 series consists of four models, the 65-inch TX-P65VT30, the 55-inch TX-P55VT30, the 50-inch TX-P50VT30, and the 42-inch TX-P42VT30. All four VT30 models come in the new High Line Design and feature a one sheet glass design that gives the TVs a beautiful sleek new design. Having passed more than 30 rigorous tests, the VT30 series received the THX 2D and 3D Display certification and delivers movies in an excellent picture quality – just as the film director had intended. In addition to offering 3D viewing, the VT30 series comes with the internet service VIERA Connect; Skype video calling; Wi-Fi ready (one USB wireless LAN adaptor is included with VT30 series); VIERA Image Viewer™ for viewing 2D and 3D digital still images and both 2D & 3D HD video recorded on an SD Memory Card; USB HDD Recording as well as SD Card Recording. Two pairs of Full HD 3D eyewear are included with the VT30 series.

The VIERA GT30 3D series features three models, the 50-inch TX-P50GT30; the 46-inch TX-P46GT30 and the 42-inch TX-P42GT30. The series stands out through its slim and distinctive Highline design, features an Infinite Black Pro Panel; THX certification for 2D and 3D Display; VIERA Connect, Wi-Fi ready (through USB port); Skype Video calling; VIERA Image Viewer™; DLNA certification; 4 HDMI connections and 3 USB ports.

The VIERA ST30 series, on the other hand, adds three screen sizes from 42-inches to 50-inches to the Panasonic family of Full HD 3D TVs. This series includes the 50-inch TX-P50ST30; the 46-inch TX-P46ST30 and the 42-inch TX-P42ST30. The new ST30 Full HD 3D HDTVs present a feature package that includes the Infinite Black Pro Panel; VIERA Connect, Wi-Fi Ready (through USB port); Skype Video calling; VIERA Image Viewer™; 3 HDMI connections and 2 USB ports......So there :lesson:
  26. rwttm001

rwttm001 Member

Ratings:
    +110
    Phil,

Please could you enquire as to the UK availability of a 46" VT30 if the chance arises? A couple of european sites have them listed but no mention of the UK.
  27. BISHI

BISHI Active Member

Ratings:
    +964
    I would like to know about Panasonics 3D projectors. I am a fan of the AE range and am wondering if a 3D version will be manufactured anytime soon.
    If you could find out that would be great.
  28. Canti1982

Canti1982 Member

Ratings:
    +96
    Thanks for clearing that up, it was a little unclear when I first read it. I think the 50 would be perfect for me, until I see the 55 of course and change my mind :)
  29. netvlada

netvlada Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks Phil for your Panasonic info

When they will start production for 2011 models because to see if they have time for solving 50hz problem.
    Do you have some contact from them to see if they solved 50 hz problem.
  30. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright AVForums Founder Staff Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ratings:
    +6,890
    Big :rotfl: