1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic HC V500 high def video camera to Blu ray advice needed

Discussion in 'Camcorders & Video Editing' started by Cyrus01, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Cyrus01

Cyrus01 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have just bought a Panasonic HC V500 high def video camera, to record my first childs early days.

Once the videos are on the camera in full HD i don’t want to put the videos onto my pc as it degrades the quality of the video (looks grainy)

I have seen in the manual the say i can record straight to a pana VW BN01 external DVD recorder. but it seems silly to record in 1080p and then put it on a normal DVD.

Is there a Blu ray version that is better or will the DVD be ok?

There not much of a budget as most of the funds are going to the child.

Really im just after advice on how to save these precious videos.
  2. chrishull3

chrishull3 Active Member

Ratings:
    +255
    If you load your files to your PC or better still an external drive for storage
    there should be no degradation,ie they be as good as playing from the cam.
    As you say making DVDs from HD defeats the object i agree,if you purchase a BLU RAY PLAYER and they are very cheap now you can edit your files and burn BLU RAY discs,normal 25gb discs hold 2hrs of footage and you can make menus etc for different films on the disc.
    Also there is the option of making HD AVCHD discs which can be put on standard recordable DVD discs but are HD and the length depends on the software you use,30m being average.These AVCHD discs will only play on Blu Ray players not dvd players and are 17mps which is less than Blu Ray but they look pretty good.Once again i dont know why you find quality loss after loading the files there should not be.
  3. Cyrus01

Cyrus01 Member

Ratings:
    +0
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,070
    Copying the content to a PC won't change the quality it all (the whole point of digital). The video files are an exact copy of the ones your camera makes. Burning them to blu-ray/AVCHD via a PC won't degrade the quality in any way. They might not look as good on a PC but's that's down to your video card and monitor.
  5. Cyrus01

Cyrus01 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    well i just had a go at burning it to a DVD in AVCHD format on my pc, i used the panasonic HD writer AE 4.0 software that came with the camera. i must say that when putting the disk in the blu ray player on my HD tv it says its at 1080p/50hz and it looks good too. so I think i will try that for a while and see how it goes.
    Thanks for the advice, once again avforums has helped me out.
    cheers
  6. Blue.Rocket

Blue.Rocket Member

Ratings:
    +29
    I wonder if some one can look at my input HERE especially the USB point.

Thanks..:thumbsup:
  7. 12harry

12harry Active Member

Ratings:
    +224
    Post#5, - Welcome . . . . it won't be long before your HiDef files on BlueRay will start to look as though you should "tidy" them up . . .and you could look for a budget Editor,
    I use Vegas Movie Studio and v12 (Amazon, about £30), will accept 1080-p footage and has some nifty Text animation. Editors allow you to cut to the chase, speed-up the story etc, so it's more interesting to watch. Don't overdo the Transitions - and I rec. you get the slightly pricier "Suite" version which has some extra software included.
    You have been told to use an external drive - as back-up I think is very wise . . as optical Discs are still an unknown quantity, whereas HDD (but not solid-sate) have been improving over many years.
    Good luck.
  8. Terfyn

Terfyn Member

Ratings:
    +61
    Apart from the BluRay burner which you would need, a good editor is advisable. This will allow you to upgrade the footage for brightness, contrast etc as well as putting a decent video together. I use VideoStudio which has a direct output to BluRay.