Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic G30 Owners Thread.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by tele1962, Apr 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leedebs

leedebs Member

Ratings:
    +55
    Strange, they use the same panel, if anything due to the beter blacks the GT30 should be darker than the ST30?
    If you need bright I would suggest a Samsung or LG
    I've tried 2 UT30s and about to try my second ST30 (mine has green splodges), I did compare the ST/GT/VT as a demo and tbh aside from extra calibration controls/looks and slightly better blacks there wasn't a lot in it (I was viewing in dim conditions) none did whites as good as Samsung IMO
    Only photo mode on the Pannies generates decent brightness/whites IMO
  2. JadedEntity

JadedEntity Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I've had a 42G30 for just over a week now and am very happy so far. I just have a question regarding its ability to play video files from an external HDD.

When first testing this setting out I was pleasantly surprised to find that the TV had no problem reading 720p .mkv files I had on the HDD. The optical-out was outputting the audio as Dolby Digital and I found I could access subtitles on those files that included them. Unfortunately, later testing revealed that it wouldn't properly play certain other MKVs.

The files in question seem to have the same codecs, etc, as the ones that do work but playback is either very choppy or the audio is all over the place. Does anyone know why this might be or if I'm over-looking something?

I know that the in-built media player is never going to be ideal but it would be great to know why it seems like such a lottery with similar file types.

Thanks very much!
  3. dancingmatt

dancingmatt Member

Ratings:
    +13
    This is exactly what I want - to buy a 50GT30 with the 2 pairs of glasses and BDT110 player from Richer Sounds, price matched to Amazon's price. I fear RS will refuse based on Amazon's price not having a warranty, however RS's page clearly states that it includes a free 5 year warranty (which I guess is the one Panasonic are offering if you have an in-store demo) - so why would I buy a RS warranty anyway?

I'm not hopeful though :(
  4. Divvy

Divvy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Is there any image differences between 42" and 46" versions as there often is with LCD TV's?
  5. Pofyooz

Pofyooz Member

Ratings:
    +0
    is there anyway I can use the "game viewing mode" setting for regular tv?
    where can I find the settings of game mode so I can make a profile similar to game mode to use on regular tv mode?
  6. steseagull

steseagull Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone got experience of this? when watching sky the picture freezes, I can still hear what is happening but the picture freezes and I can only rectify by changing input with remote and then changing back. Have googled and looks like a problem on a french forum but my grasp of french is poor, anyone???????
  7. telemachus

telemachus Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, I've had the 42G30 for a month or so now as the first non-crt I've owned so I'm playing catchup trying to get to grips with everything. I apologise if this is an obvious question but I keep seeing mention of Professional1/2 modes for extended calibration options and I can't seem to find them anywhere on any input, just normal/thx/cinema/game/dynamic/picture etc. I've tried searching but all I can find are references to using it and no mention of it being missing!
  8. Lancia34

Lancia34 Active Member

Ratings:
    +632
    Quick question. I actually have a G20 (though really liking the look of the 2012 range...tempting) and generally have all the processing affects switched off - great picture, very happy with it. Does anyone have the 24p smooth cinema switched on for BluRay movies or do most leave it switched off?
    I always keep IFC off as that doesn't look good.
  9. Silverblack

Silverblack Active Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Alot of people hate that soap opera look although i find the panasonics not be as bad so when i had my g30 i left IFC set to mid and when watching blu-rays i set it to 24p smooth film, the picture was smooth as silk and judder free.:smashin:
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  10. Lancia34

Lancia34 Active Member

Ratings:
    +632
    Hmmm, might try it again as a test on a few films. It did look good with Avatar when I tested that ages ago, haven't tried it on anything else though. IFC looks dreadful on normal TV / DVDs so always keep that off.
  11. Pofyooz

Pofyooz Member

Ratings:
    +0
    G30 has a yellow-ish/brown tint in most modes specially in THX,I'm in process of replacing my recently bought G30 with a ST30.G30 is not a great model like G20 was.
  12. Electr0

Electr0 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The image does seem a bit odd with THX, it may be a recommended setting but im not sure it's really ideal for most peoples eyes, it's seemed a good setting at first but i don't think it has the right kind of warm look, more like a brown tint which also seems to dull the colours.

Before you go returning the tv try these settings and tell me what you think, i came up with them while trying to get a more natural image for the pc and games, i compared it to my dell ips monitor on colour and whites, i think it looks a lot more vibrant without being too much, perhaps the colours need lowering from default though.

Viewing Mode: Game
    Contrast: Lower to THX level
    Brightness: Default
    Colour: Default or slightly lower
    Sharpness: Zero
    Colour Balance: Normal
    Vivid Colour: Off
    C.A.T.S.: Off
    P-NR: Off
    Advanced Settings
    White Balance, R-Gain: 10
    Gamma: 2.2 or 2.0

Now find a hd source and switch back and forth between the two, tell me that's not a much nicer image, whites look white, setting to cool even more so but i think that might be extreme, id love to hear what others think, i have checked and i don't think it's having a negative effect but those with more knowledge may be able to improve on this?
  13. Electr0

Electr0 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting, i just tried the settings off your link and they also seemed to take care of the brown tint quite nicely, not sure what to use now, my game setting has a brighter more vibrant image but it could be be too much?
  14. Pofyooz

Pofyooz Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for posting your setting,I tried them and it looks better but the main issue is this GAME mode cannot be selected for normal tv mode and is only available when using HDMI input.
    there should be a way to set the professional mode like game mode?otherwise whats the point of having detailed professional setting?
    I am waiting for arrival of ST30,this G30 model seems to be a disappointment comparing to last years G20 in terms of PQ.also G30 seems to be a european model only?and not available in North America and Asia which can also mean they did not put too much effort in it.
    here is an example of the horrible brown/yellow tint,in a scene from "The Thing" bluray,first picture is THX and second is Game mode:
    (obviously the camera picture cannot be accurate and does not show the brown-yellow tone fully but it is still good for comparison):
    notice the cream snow,yellow skin tone and yellowish smoke in THX picture :facepalm:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  15. leedebs

leedebs Member

Ratings:
    +55
    Looking on my monitor the 1st one looks better though:laugh:
    Better skin tones and snow looks correct:oops:
  16. deblee

deblee Member

Ratings:
    +140
    Will be interesting to see how the ST30 compares
  17. Divvy

Divvy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I got a G30 a couple of days ago. I'm loving it in most regards but I'm having issues with motion handling. There's a lot of noise or grain on the screen whenever there's fast movement, especially evident in bright colors. LCD blur is much less of an issue to me personally than this motion noise.

Is there anything I can do or will this get better with run-in, or should I just send this back and get an LCD? Really loving the black level, black detail and contrast ratio so I'd greatly prefer a solution.

Thanks.
  18. Silverblack

Silverblack Active Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Theres a few settings to consider first, do you have the IFC on? if so that could be part of the problem with motion that your talking about... it has two settings mid and high if you have it on by default then it's most likely set to high.

If thats the case change it to medium or off. Second of all how high do you have your sharpness set at? it could need a few clicks back. Then theres the usual noise reduction settings which might be set to max by default, you can either set it to mid and definately off for hd content.

Have a go at tinkering with the above i have mentioned and see what results you get.:)
  19. Divvy

Divvy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply!

I have IFC set to off, though any setting produces the same results on 60fps content. I have both sharpness settings at off. I have tried all noise reduction settings, they didn't help either I'm afraid. I have tried different picture modes as well as playing with brightness and contrast.

It really is most evident in 60fps content like PC games. With any fast movement the image breaks up into a grainy, noisy mess and there's some phosphor trailing and posterization evident as well. I can live with the rest but the graininess is troublesome. Think of it like PWM noise, only very heavy handed. There's also this noisy/grainy ghost image that follows solid images. I've seen this mentioned with 50hz but it's certainly there at 60hz as well.

Moving windows around on a PC desktop highlights these issues incredibly well.
  20. CaPo

CaPo Member

Ratings:
    +18
    Whats your contrast set to? If its too high there can be a lot of noise. Ive got it at 45 on professional 1, brightness and colour at 31.
  21. Divvy

Divvy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    None of those sliders seem to make a difference I'm afraid.
  22. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie New Member

Ratings:
    +1,459
    What you're seeing is Panasonic's motion algorithm - a Samsung Plasma might be more to your liking, or perhaps you'll need to go to LCD.

My understanding is that moving objects have dithering noise added to make contouring less visible.
  23. tele1962

tele1962 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,043
    To me the first image looks more correct but realy hard to tell on my PC screen.
    THX or Cinema with the warm setting are probably best.:)
  24. Electr0

Electr0 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Why is it cool whites look whiter to the eye and colours look better?

Contrast seems to go up as well, try the settings i posted to see what i mean.
  25. tele1962

tele1962 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,043
    It's the Daz effect, add a lot of blue to the image to make it look whiter. There is a colour setting we try to achieve which is the D65 standard.

Think of it this way, a sunny day a bit like today look at the reflection of the light of trees etc, sort of looks warm not vivid or garish?
  26. markfawcett

markfawcett Member

Ratings:
    +54
    Because it tints the whites towards blue which the human eye perceives as being brighter.

The best comparison that I can think of would be car headlights - a bulb with a blue tint to it appears to be brighter than a bulb with a yellow tint to it. In reality they are both the same brightness.
  27. Scooby2000

Scooby2000 Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,410
    Lol the Daz effect sums it up well. Ineed film makers go by a standard as do program makers. I believe D65 is based on a sunny day in europe, not 100% though.
  28. Electr0

Electr0 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So does the standard actually look better or is it just a standard thats been set, perhaps the eyes respond better to cooler whites or the brain prefers it, colours do seem to looker better and the whites are nicer, i think it's not the right kind of warm white though, seems more brown, when i up the rgain on the games setting the whites look nicer than normal cool whites though so it gets confusing.
  29. Scooby2000

Scooby2000 Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,410
    If you want to see what's intended by the film/program maker its better, otherwise go with what you like. Dont forget adding blue to the white means the whole picture will have a slight blue to it too.
  30. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie New Member

Ratings:
    +1,459
    It depends how you define "better".

Better = conveying the message the filmmakers wanted vs
    Better = brighter colours

My own, and many other Panasonic G30s have a green tint before calibration, which is a shame because very few of us have access to the tools needed. I think if you could see a calibrated one, you'd prefer that.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.