Panasonic G30 Owners Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tele1962

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone got this one and what's it like?:)

Got one for almost a week now. Really great for me, fully satisfied so far. HD rocks, SD is much better than on CRT. :thumbsup:

Got one for almost a week now. Really great for me, fully satisfied so far. HD rocks, SD is much better than on CRT. :thumbsup:
Now post some pics :D:smashin:

Its a good review black levels of only 0.02cd/m2 on both tests. :thumbsup:

And I like the way they said in a dull room it will be hard to tell the GT30 and the G30 apart in terms of 2D picture.

So a good tv for 2D viewing.
But they did go on to say that unless you were watching TV in total darkness (where the differences between the G30 and GT30 were minimal) prospective buyers may consider upgrading to the GT30 and its better light filter.

I wonder if the ST30 wouldn't be a better bet. OK, you don't get THX or the professional modes but it should be around the same price of the G30, it has the infinite black pro filter of the GT30 as well as having 3D should you want it in the future.

Last edited:
If cinema mode is the same as in G30, then ST30 may be an option, because I really don't see a big difference between THX and Cinema modes. Well mine is an untrained eye :D
When turned off G30 doesn't look black, it's more green-grayish, but when watching in the evening the picture is superb, blacks are really black, not grey, overall I like colors very much. Watched in daylight yesterday, well it's quite ok, though can't really compare to watching in the dark. Using cinema preset for SD which has 42 contrast or so, and maybe in daylight it may be better to increase it a bit.

The ST30 will not ony have Cinema mode but also True Cinema which is basically THX without the THX calibration and certification.

That HDTV test review reads to me as the reviewer's expectations being disappointed. Shame it doesn't comment on the sound. Key question for me is the extent to which it improves on the G20 which I think is a great tv? Suspect not that much....

The out of box results for RGB level tracking looks a lot out and DeltaE results look high to my non-expert eye:D, but the rest looks pretty good when comparing to the V20 results.
Calibrated results look extremely good, the lack of the pro filter and slightly higher black level don't put it above a V20 for me still though, def a step up from the G20, if you don't need freesat. David does say the pro filter on the GT30 makes a difference in anything but a dark room.

"Truth be told, after witnessing the GT30 with its Infinite Black Pro screen coating, stepping back down to the Panasonic TX-P42G30’s less light-resistant screen meant that we weren’t as immediately taken by it. Unless you watch TV in total darkness (in which case the differences between the Viera G30 and the 2D performance of the GT30 will be all but invisible), we’d suggest that prospective TX-P42G30B or TX-P50G30B buyers consider stepping up to the GT30, whether they are interested in 3D capabilities or not. Its Infinite Black Pro screen coating does afford the picture a certain depth and glossiness that the G30 can’t fully replicate. Is this, and the fact that the GT30 is also capable of 3D display, worth an extra £300-400, though? We’ll leave that for you to decide."

For the money though this looks a stonking set, the ANSI contrast sounds very impressive and there looks to be some good reasons to have this over the V20 as well as the G20, unless like me your a black level junkie, in witch case I'd stick with the V20 or go GT30.

I just had my G20 replaced with a G30 by Currys this morning. I'll give some feedback in a few days after running in.

When people say daylight environments aren't great, do you mean sun shining through the windows or is even the standard grey British day going to affect viewing?

Any owners got any feedback on how the tv is with football or gaming?

My viewing room has no direct sunlight coming through window.
It is quite ok, well the picture is dull or how to call it. Much better in the dark environment. But I can watch TV with no problems during day hours.
Also watched Liverpool - Man City yesterday, haven't seen any problems. SD quality, not HD I must say, and I am from Lithuania, not from UK, mine is G30E.

no buzzing on mine other than plasma panel noise which can't be heard from more than 2 feet away. I had two g20s that had the buzz. This was a replacement for that very reason. Even though it's not run in I have to say that so far the g30 is better. Picture seems better although there is more dithering but the false contouring is not there any more. The guide and menus are much better visually and the tv looks a lot better. All in all i'm much happier :thumbsup:

no buzzing for me too.
well I haven't got G20 prior to this, so can't really compare :) But I don't really hear my plasma working.

So whats a decent price to pay for one of these, im going to be getting something next week, was going to order another 42" V20 for the bedroom but i would consider one of these if its available at decent prices? And somebody get in house pictures up:cool:

Anyone got this one and what's it like?:)

I'll have one in for review tomorrow and I'm going to be burning the midnight oil in an effort to get the review up as soon as possible. Those that know me from the forums as a G10/G20 owner will hopefully have faith that I'll be leaving no stone unturned and that I intimately know the issues with the G30's predecessors:)

I'll have one in for review tomorrow and I'm going to be burning the midnight oil in an effort to get the review up as soon as possible. Those that know me from the forums as a G10/G20 owner will hopefully have faith that I'll be leaving no stone unturned and that I intimately know the issues with the G30's predecessors:)

At least as far as i know Mark those pain in the backside calibration menus are kept to one side.:)

At least as far as i know Mark those pain in the backside calibration menus are kept to one side.:)

Yep the menus are a massive improvement Barry in both looks and useability!

So whats a decent price to pay for one of these, im going to be getting something next week, was going to order another 42" V20 for the bedroom but i would consider one of these if its available at decent prices? And somebody get in house pictures up:cool:

will get some this evening

So no one who owns this tv can tell me if it is as slim as the gt30 or not? if anyone does finally respond i would also like to know how many fans this tv has aswell thanks.

Are you looking for more information than is available at the Panasonic website, for instance in the downloadable manuals?

Are you looking for more information than is available at the Panasonic website, for instance in the downloadable manuals?

i downloaded the manual already from the panasonic website but pictures or even owners opinions give a better idea to me.

i saw the 46" gt30 yesterday in currys and from the side it looked really really slim and just wondered if the the g30 was the same if not alittle bit bigger.:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom