Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic G20 Owners Thread - part 2

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Julie, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DyingSun

DyingSun Member

Ratings:
    +0
    How can I make the G20 go into HDMI (or whatever the last input was) automatically when turned on?

It always goes into analog (TV) and I don't use analog anymore, so it doesn't make any sense.
  2. headshot

headshot Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Iv heard bad stuff about Pixmania plus if your paying so much for a tv its better off buying it from a local shop, yes you maybe paying more but if anything happens you'll be screwed
  3. headshot

headshot Member

Ratings:
    +19
    settings, other settings and power on preference
  4. Crunchie

Crunchie Member

Ratings:
    +107
    I think you can only get the TV to automatically select an HDMI source at power-up when the source is connected to HDMI 1 and powered on.
  5. headshot

headshot Member

Ratings:
    +19
    sorry im wrong

i blame the lack of sleep

sorry you have either a choice of tv or av with power on preference
  6. DyingSun

DyingSun Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I can't find the "Power On Preference" setting anywhere. I even checked the manual and it isn't there.

I have found, however, that connecting the source to HDMI 1, as someone else suggested, actually (sort of) works. It still turns on into Analog, but after a couple of seconds switches automatically to HDMI. It ain't perfect, but it's better than nothing.

Thanks guys! :smashin:
  7. hardeep

hardeep New Member

Ratings:
    +123
    Menu --> Setup--> Other Settings --> Third option (below Resolution Enhancer)
  8. aidanbrophy

aidanbrophy Member

Ratings:
    +2

Hi you say sd is great, what sky box have you got? my sd is pants with the G20 - cheers
  9. ozzzy189

ozzzy189 Active Member

Ratings:
    +593
    hi guys. was watching my bro's g20 last night. bbchd, and noticed quite a lot of banding and poserisation with fleshtones and light areas. it's in thx mode and is still pretty new. Anyone else noticed how the colours band up in motion ? nice screen for the most part. Also thx- which is what i put his screen in for everything, seems too soft. How do i get the 'pro' preset up ?
  10. lukehunter69

lukehunter69 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    My TX-P50G20B should be arriving tomorrow now I've sold my old TV. Hopefully it shouldn't look dominated by the front speakers and other AV kit as the LG 42" was.

I cant wait :D
  11. Crunchie

Crunchie Member

Ratings:
    +107
    The "Professional" options appear when you activate the IFCccc menu in the setups. They're both still way too dark for everyday use though, although I've found that I get more contrast by jacking up the red, blue and green sliders to full and changing the gamma and saturation settings. Like with the THX setting, the contrast control seems to do sweet nothing!
  12. DerksterUK

DerksterUK Member

Ratings:
    +63
    Same problem here as well, i noticed that my tv did the same thing and even the wife mentioned that it had done the same thing on a different progamme that she had watched in the afternoon. It was very off-putting and i found myself trying to adjust the TV.

Also, whilst watching "Law Abiding Citizen" i noticed that the tv would go light and then dark. Basically there is a scene where Jamie Fox is talking to the mayor and the room is dimly lit. When the camera is pointed at the mayor the scene is very dark, then the camera pans to Jamie Fox who has a window behind his head which makes the scene a bit brighter. The black borders or the picture (i couldn't tell which it was) seemed to try to adjust to the different lighting but just couldn't catch up and resulted in the dark scene starting out light and then becoming darker about a second after the camera had panned (hope this makes sense). Again this was very off-putting.

Has anybody else had this type of problem? If it is just happenening to me then i will need to return the set for a replacment.

Alternatively is there something i can try...?

Also, before it looks like i am basically condeming this plasma, i have got to say that on the whole the picture is stunning and well worth the money...
  13. stanga

stanga Member

Ratings:
    +111
    The professional modes are not meant to be used straight out of the box, unlike THX etc. They are supposed to be calibrated and then set for your viewing conditions etc. I'm not surprised that they don't look right.
  14. Insanity202

Insanity202 Active Member

Ratings:
    +4,223
    I was also watching Come Dine With Me last night and a women had a red top on when she moved quickly across the screen her top seemed to follow behind her juddering along, I hit the record on the SKY and have played with the settings all day to try and stop this but cant. It also happened when she jumped up from the sofa. Weird. I have never seen anything like this before on any TV I have owned.

Its a signal thing with Ch4. I have contacted them and the basic reply i got was they are fully aware of this issue and are looking into solving it. I thought it was my tv but tried 2 other HD TV's and it did the same. I cant find the email at the moment (knowing me i deleted it :facepalm:) but i did find similar comments by searching on Google.
  15. aidanbrophy

aidanbrophy Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks - but most mere mortals do not know how to calibrate the settings, especially on the G20 as there are so many is there not a site/member that can give us the best settings for a standard roomset?
  16. xfilian

xfilian Member

Ratings:
    +81
    I have just ordered the 46 Inch G20. I paid £1149.00, which is more than some places but it is from a Panasonic shop which is 15 miles up the road and it comes with their 5 year warranty, plus free delivery and installation. It will take around a week to be with me. If anyone who owns a G20 finds any issues with certain BD's (or any other issues, come to that) similar to what Derkster UK has experinced over the next few days it would be handy to know so that I can play this back whilst the Panasonic guys are present and raise any potential issues with them.
  17. stanga

stanga Member

Ratings:
    +111
    I am also a mere mortal. :)

From what I understand there is no such thing as a 'standard roomset' - that's why you have the TV calibrated to your conditions (and to the individual idiosyncracies of the set itself - they are all different).

The closest 'standard roomset' setting that is close to standard is the THX mode.
  18. aidanbrophy

aidanbrophy Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi - In general the TV is tops, but this annoying issue with SD picture on SkyHD is something the panny boys could hopefully answer?? also the TV doesnt switch automatically to the HDMi channel when you turn it on - it is either TV or AV - tad annoying that you need to grab the remote and switch it over to the hdmi channel. Would also be intersting to see what they do with the advanced picture settngs - if anything.
  19. paulr2006

paulr2006 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,597
    As long as the preference is set to AV & you use HDMI 1 for Sky HD then that's where it will initially turn on to; All I do is hit the TV button then On on the Sky remote followed by Sky on the Sky remote & as soon as a picture hits the screen it's Sky, simples. :)
  20. Rodnev

Rodnev Member

Ratings:
    +0
    A quick question to the Euro's - Belgian (Flemish) G20e owners. Where did you get your set?

I'm looking for this TV and can't seem to find it in any of the 'larger' electro-stores (VDB, Krefel, MM, ...) Even worse, the information I get from salespeople in these stores is ... well ... not really helping either.

One salesperson told me the txp42g20e is not available in Belgium (Flanders) ?? And today in another store (MediaMarkt) a salesperson told me the G20 is sold out, done, finito and will be replaced with a new model soon, so I shouldn't bother for it. He then pointed me towards the S20E model, that was on display.

I've emailed panasonic.be (their e-shop) with this and they said don't worry, it's back up on our e-store for purchase, but alas, it says temp. not available. Even so, I'm not going to buy a TV without first viewing it :)

So where did you get your set? Or should I stop searching for something that's not available in my region? Sorry for the not so on topic question, but it's getting really weird with all this 'professional' information I'm getting from stores.
  21. Mr Wonderstuff

Mr Wonderstuff Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I too have noticed fluctuating blacks (in the border area) when going from one dark shot to another. Not sure what it is or if there is a setting which prevents this.
  22. GarethH

GarethH Member

Ratings:
    +2
    That's exactly like mine too! The trouble is I opened my windows yesterday and had some background noise from the other room on and its difficult to hear it then. I tried to listen for the buzz in John Lewis but to be honest there's so much background noise you can't tell either.

On the plus side, no phospher trails for me, the blacks are perfect and the picture is flawless. To me its almost like the Kuro from what I saw in AV shops! Love it!
  23. twa00

twa00 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I didn't find this, but I have sent this at least 4 times - go to Hotel mode -
    hold down V- on side of TV, press AV 3 x fast- enable hotel mode, choose input!

OK?
  24. twa00

twa00 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Forgot to say press AV 3x on remote!
  25. twa00

twa00 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    What I don't understand, is that most have read the reviews, where THX mode is noted as being pretty accurate, then people buy a a new Panny, and set it to some other mode, change the contrast and colours without any calibration - "because it looks better" or THX is too soft - perhaps it is supposed to look that way? :D
    Having watched Masterchef in India last night, I could not believe how good a picture on SD, wonderful blacks and whites, with great texture.
  26. wpa8

wpa8 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Apologies to all, I'm sure this has been covered but I can't find it yet in the 70 odd pages of this thread, what are the exact differences between 42" G20 and V20?
    especially - is the V20 sound better?
    Thanks
  27. milus

milus Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Check PM ;-)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  28. Klikker

Klikker Member

Ratings:
    +26
    Very little information that you can take to the bank as yet, a lot of speculation but until you have a review by a user or this site or similar you can only assume it will be better than the G20 as it is a more expensive set, but by how much we will have to wait and see.

I am sure, I think :) that it has extra speakers so it should sound better....but as you see I am speculating again.:D
  29. ninjakettle

ninjakettle Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Quick question. Is Bluray playback handled using 4:4 pulldown?

When i press the "info" button during bluray playback it says 24fps, is it just a given that the set is actually refreshing at 96?
  30. Rodnev

Rodnev Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sweet thx :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.