1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic G10 Owners Thread - Part 2

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Julie, Jun 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Di Griz

Jim Di Griz Active Member

Ratings:
    +999
    Definitely better with overscan off! With overscan on I noticed a slight blur? or picture going a bit soft? - something like that anyway. Easy to spot the difference anyway! (unlike IFC on/off ;))
  2. Sonic-dk

Sonic-dk Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Allright, will try cinema mode for that then. However, the problem occured on DVB-T, which runs cinema mode allready :)
  3. tele1962

tele1962 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,955
    any better.:thumbsup:
  4. Sonic-dk

Sonic-dk Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Well, just watched Miami Ink on Discovery, and it seems that show has the problem still. It's driving me nuts. I've only noticed it on that particular show tonight so far though. Weird stuff.
  5. yury2808

yury2808 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Any update for IFC to be working/not on G10E?

ps. just curiouse :)
  6. Nixer

Nixer Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Just been to a store and seen the same thing. Very bad judder. Spoke to the guy in the store who told me this has been an issue with Panny's for a while. Its to do with the 60hz processing. The top spec Philips and Sony LCD's alongside the Panny in the store handled judder much better.

Real bummer because i was about to pull the trigger on this set until i seen it live in action!!!!:rolleyes:
  7. daz_f

daz_f Member

Ratings:
    +6
    why changing the settings how do you know what number you are on because i just see a bar
  8. PuntNL

PuntNL Member

Ratings:
    +140
    Yesterday noticed that i had some image retention (I hope, and not some burn-in) on my G10, I passed something liker 150 hours on the set. And now have a channel logo which doesn't go away after a couple of minutes of tv playing without that logo. It's a bright white logo (who thinks of that?!?) and now in brighter color screen it appears as a transparent / shade.. Does someone has any tips and or suggestions to get rid of it? Or can some people calm me down and tell me its not permanent burn in...?:rolleyes:

Will image retention get less and less over time?
  9. tele1962

tele1962 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,955
    don't panic,it will fade away. can you find a channel with no picture just interference leave your tv on that for half an hour and this should cure the problem.:thumbsup:can i just say image retension is very rare on the Pannys.
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2009
  10. PuntNL

PuntNL Member

Ratings:
    +140
    you mean with this: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3073/2298026810_7006164877.jpg

Because I am playing a dvd now for a couple of hours, but shade still there..

Keep contrast low when playin the interference?

Good to hear image retention is rare on a panny, but that logo is just stupid bright white and it's the same logo for 4 different channels.. Hope the retention will not be a problem over time...
  11. tele1962

tele1962 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,955
    yep,thats the one,hope it works.:)
  12. rewerb

rewerb Member

Ratings:
    +661
    Cant comment on what you saw, but if it was 60hz then it must have been a DVD/Bluray? Blurays are fed at 24p and the TV doesnt judder with that.
  13. pwood

pwood Member

Ratings:
    +147
    My Old PV500 juddered a lot with the Dark Knight on Blue Ray but my 50" G10 doesn't.
  14. PuntNL

PuntNL Member

Ratings:
    +140
    Half hour underway with the interference... shade still there of that stupid channel logo...

EDIT: Still not gone, damn...

How to know if its image retention or burn in?
  15. gary965

gary965 Member

Ratings:
    +8
    How long do you watch the channel which caused the problems and is it a channel that you "need" to watch (for me it is football and the terrible bright coloured logos). You may need to balance watching the channel with the possibility of damaging your tv. I used to watch Sky Sports News for hours along with news channels, however since having a plasma I have been more careful.

Image retention does get better in my experience with time, but the threat does not go completely if your set (some are worse than others)/settings/programmes are the type which are likely to cause IR. Sadly the nature of plasma tv's is such that it will always be a possibility, although with my G10 much less of a problem than my previous 2008 Samsung. You can also turn the contrast down, although I didn't as the balance between PQ I like and a dull "safer" picture was not one I was prepared to make.

Finally, the problem will always be there as long as channels persist with these stupid, vivid logos taking more and more of the screen. Rather than geting better it seems to be getting worse, Discovery Channel used to have a smallish, semi transparent logo that disappeared for 20 secs every few minutes but now uses a permanent, more bold logo, and they are one of the better ones, stupid.
  16. PuntNL

PuntNL Member

Ratings:
    +140
    I can do without those channels, in Holland we have RTL 4,5,7 and 8 All using the same white bold logo. Thats probably how it started out. I will only watch these channels on Zoom from now on...
    My only concern is will this completely fade away? As I am already playing the tv without static material for all morning..
  17. pwood

pwood Member

Ratings:
    +147
    Channel 5 almost all the time for me but I rarely watch it and its easy to turn overscan on and off. I take it the overscan is not adjustable in its effect in the service menu. At least it can be turned off unlike my old set.
  18. gary965

gary965 Member

Ratings:
    +8
    The consensus on here and from my own experience with my other set is that it will fade away, but may take a few days. Samsung have a special scrolling anti IR tool which I found particularly useful.

The only plasma that I have seen really burned was at work when a Sony that displayed the same data tables all day had horrendous retention, but that was just a poor choice of usage for a plasma.

Without seeing the IR I would only say that unless you had the same bright logo on your screen for hours a day over a period of time it probably won't be burn.
  19. tele1962

tele1962 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,955
    i still think it will fade away:thumbsup:
  20. Fattage

Fattage Member

Ratings:
    +22
    Sorry for the delay in replying here..

OK ,I have the HDD set up connected via SCART and HDMI. In the link settings I have the AV1/AV2 out set to TV. I can now record any program from Freesat (DVB doesn't work in my area, crap signal) and when I select a program from the guide i get the option to view/record. Selecting record switches on the HDD and records the tv program. It also allows recording of BBC HD but obviously downscales it as all recording is done through the SCART link. I can change the G10 to AV and watch Sky, or any other device connected and this will not affect the recording on the HDD. If I change the channel in TV mode though, it will.

For timed recordings the G10 needs to be on standby as a minimum. When the recording is due, the TV remains in standby and the HDD kicks in and record the program. I can turn on the G10 but only watch a program from an AV source... or play the PS3 etc.

Hope that helps.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  21. PuntNL

PuntNL Member

Ratings:
    +140
    Looks to get a little better,but not completely gone yet, didn't expect it would be so bad.. Only see it now with bright colorful images... Once it will fade away, I will hit on the break-in images/dvd for another 30 hours or so...
  22. Jim Di Griz

Ratings:
    +999
    60hz processing huh?

Was it a blu-ray? If so it would have been at 24p and you wouldnt have seen judder (unless that was present in the film already). The UK and Euro G10's handle motion extremely well (not the US one though).

The guy in the store doesnt know what hes talking about...was this store Currys by any chance? ;)
  23. Jim Di Griz

Ratings:
    +999
    Thanks Fattage

That makes sense now with the view/record option on programmes. So the TV doesnt have to be actually on to record freesat/freeview - just standby. This is what I wanted to hear! So I just need to get a Panasonic HDD of some sort, even an old one would be OK. Im certainly not going to go for that new Panasonic recordable blu-ray thing because thats way more than I need (and way too expensive!) :)
  24. rewerb

rewerb Member

Ratings:
    +661
    I watch hours and hours of SKY sports and BBC 24 News. Never had any IR. There are a few channels with bright/strong contrast logos, but few and far between these days.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  25. WGLOVER

WGLOVER Member

Ratings:
    +127
    I put up a Freesat dish today, and I find the SD picture a bit better than Freeview, but not quite as good as Virgin+.

Looking forward to seeing some ITV HD. Anyone know how to find out when its on?

I received What Hi-Fi and doobery today. It only gave the 50"G10 four stars, while giving the Samsung PS50B650 five stars:eek:
    Reckons that the detail and edge definition doesn't cut the mustard.
  26. PuntNL

PuntNL Member

Ratings:
    +140
    That is great for you, bit mine logo is still there after one day... Really fed up about it, because I am paying attention to everything... Really hope it will fade and than I will just ban that stiupid stations with their ridiculous logo's.. Zoom it is...
  27. kev.

kev. Member

Ratings:
    +27
    Hi JIm

If Im not mistaken G10 models everywhere have a terrible Judder when at 24p

Just google "24p judder g10"and have a look yourself

This is the only thing that is putting me off this TV,and making me go for the V10

Please tell me different........
  28. tele1962

tele1962 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,955
    :hiya: i have had this t.v. for about seven weeks now and i have never seen any judder of any kind on any feed.:thumbsup:
  29. chris.farrant

chris.farrant Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I've had a 50" G10 for a month now and have never seen any judder. I have a PS3 and a BD35, both of which produce astounding pictures on Blu Ray and DVD sources. Some people may be more susceptible to this problem, but I consider myself a discerning buyer who looked at every alternative before I made my final choice.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  30. Woolybully

Woolybully Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I've had this TV about 3 weeks now and no "judder".I watched Bolt on Blu-Ray last night......perfect. You want to go for the V10, that's fine but the G10 does not judder. Just out of curiosity have you "Googled" judder for any other brand of TV?
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.