1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic G10 Optical Out Question?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Mr JP, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Mr JP

Mr JP Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just awaiting delivery for my TXP46G10B, and will have a Panasonic SC-PT570EB-K to go with it which only has 1 optical input, yet I want to gain optical audio from both my sky HD box and PS3.

I notice the TV has optical out, will this be the best option, just having sky hd and ps3 carry the sound to the tv via hdmi, then from the tv to the surround sound via optical? Will I get 5.1 DTS / DD?

The other option is optical from PS3 to surround sound, and just use phono from sky hd box to surround sound, however I'm not sure the phono's will allow 5.1.

So has anyone used the optical out from the TV? is it okay and will it default to 5.1 providing the source material is in 5.1, or is the TV not capable of sending 5.1 digital audio because it's only Nicam stereo?

Any help much appreciated, oh and comments of "buy a AV receiver" sadly wont help as this is a space saving solution.

thanks in advance :)
  2. YellowSphere

YellowSphere Active Member

Ratings:
    +487
    The optical output will not passthrough 5.1 from the HDMI input, in other words, you're going to need some kind of optical switch, or put up with stereo only sound from Sky (bearing in mind, however, not many broadcasts are DD).

Either that or you get another HTIB type system which does have two optical inputs, Pioneer LX-03 for example.
  3. Mr JP

Mr JP Member

Ratings:
    +0
    As I suspected, so why would anyone use the optical out from the TV? over the phono's for example, would it just be clarity?

The pioneer system looks quite good just a shame about the price, thanks all the same though.
  4. YellowSphere

YellowSphere Active Member

Ratings:
    +487
    For the built in tuner. Although we may not use DD on Freeview here (though there is some DD content on Freesat), it may be in other countries.

Some TVs can pass through DD received via HDMI inputs, but it's a very rare feature.
  5. migube

migube Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi YellowSphere,

would you know which TV's can pass throught the DTS signal from the (delayed to the displayed picture) HDMI to the Optical out?
    I know Philps can do it for AC3, not DTS.
    What about the new G20, any idea?
    tx
  6. Ricky27

Ricky27 Member

Ratings:
    +142
    If you use Freesat, some stuff is output in dolby digital 5.1 from the optical out on the G10s.
    Movies on BBC HD had 5.1,in fact so did Doctor Who.
  7. migube

migube Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Tx Ricky,

those are AC3 , I guess.
    I was thinking of the Blu-ray output that's being sent via HDMI to the TV.
    Due to image recalculations (frame insertion), the audio is there, before the image, at least on the Philips & other LCD's (I guess).
    Not sure how much G20 would add to image delay...
  8. Ricky27

Ricky27 Member

Ratings:
    +142
    I cant see the new G20 passing bitstream from its HDMI through to its optical out, maybe wrong though.