Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic DVD Recorder DMR-E50 setup problems

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Recorders' started by Ronknee, Jan 1, 2004.

1. Ronknee

Ronknee Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have just got a Panasonic DVD recorder and have been trying to set it up to record through the satellite digibox. I have a Sony TV.

Can't seem to manually tune in the DVD recorder to the satellite box signal. A bit confused by RGB/AV1/AV2/AV3/video and how to tune in the TV channel and the DVD recorder.

Can anyone help, please?
  2. jem

jem Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Use scart to connect digibox, E50 and TV like this

Sky TV out to E50 AV2
    E50 AV1 to TV AV1
    Sky VCR out to TV AV2

Make sure your Sky box is set to output RGB.
    On the E50 set AV1 output to RGB, AV2 input to RGB, AV2 connection to normal.

If you still want to keep your aeriel connected, then RF to Digibox in, digibox out to E50 in, E50 out to TV.

Sky will pass through the E50 when it's in standby.
    If the E50 is on, select AV2 to watch Sky
    Select AV2 to record from Sky - this will record in RGB giving you the best quality.
    If recording terrestial channels on the E50, select AV2 on your TV to watch Sky.
  3. Phil.LFC

Phil.LFC Member

Ratings:
    +56
    Ronknee,
    Welcome to the Forum. You have come to the right place as there are some very knowledgeable people on here, JEM being one of those.
    I have just bought a Panasonic HS2 and was having a nightmare setting it up until I read a thread which JEM had contributed to, and the information was spot-on:D
    Just follow JEM's advice. PS - Thanks JEM:D
  4. jem

jem Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Phil,

Thanks for the comments - :blush:

Only glad to help.
  5. Faust

Faust Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Jem re: your set-up suggestions. I have owned my E30 for over a year now - first class bit of kit. Believe it or not I have just about finished archiving my old VHS material onto - R discs, so am ready to take my VCR out of the set-up. After reading your post re: take a scart lead from Sky VCR connector to your t.v. AV2 non RGB connection on my t.v. I tried this. However, the results were not good. As you state this leaves one the option of recording a terrestrial channel whilst still be able to watch Sky (something I cannot do at present as Sky is the default channel if digi box is turned on). Problem is though the picture through t.v. AV2 is dreadful, mostly monochrome fading into colour every now and then with a herringbone pattern to the picture as well. All the equipment is Panasonic no more than a year old, Panasonic digi box t.v. PL1 and E30 no option for tuning in the AV channels. Any ideas as to why I have this problem?
  6. jem

jem Member

Ratings:
    +7
    How is your RF lead connected at the moment?
  7. Faust

Faust Member

Ratings:
    +19
    RF in connected to E30, then into video then into t.v. did not use RF into Sky box because it caused interference when all three were daisy chained together.
  8. jem

jem Member

Ratings:
    +7
    The RF lead shouldn't affect your AV2 picture but check the RF output of both the E30 and VCR to make sure they are not interfering with each other or any other terrestial channel.

You wouldn't have AV2 on your TV set up for SVHS would you? This would give a monochrome picture when inputting VHS although I'm not sure about the herringbone pattern.

If neither of those helps then check the scart is fully inserted at both ends. Then try the digibox VCR out into AV1 to see if that's alright. The try taking the E50 TV out into AV2 on your TV. This might help to narrow down the cause.
  9. Faust

Faust Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Well Jem I have tried the lot, sky vcr out into t.v. AV1 works fine, same with E30. However, whatever signal I input into t.v. AV2/5 then the picture is slightly coloured with screen patterning and the washed out colour fading in and out - totally puzzled now. Anyone any suggestions? equipment used PL1 Panny digi box and E30.
  10. jem

jem Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Faust,

It appears that what you are calling AV2/5 is actually AV2/S - S for S-Video. According to the manual you have to use a SVHS VCR on this socket. For an ordinary VCR you have to use AV1.

My suggestion would be to use a scart to 3 pin phono and use AV3 - it seems to be on the front which might be a nuisance but I can't see what else to do.
  11. Faust

Faust Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Jem you little devil, after getting out the manual you are correct it does say AV2/S, which is a fly in the proverbial ointment. As you say AV3 on the front although an option, is a bummer. My only other option is to leave the VCR in the circuit and continue to use it as an extra recording facility. At least I can tape analogue and Sky via the VCR. It seems then that the only real use for the other scart is for SVHS or QLink which the manual shows you how to connect. Thanks for your efforts.

:mad:
  12. jem

jem Member

Ratings:
    +7
    No problem. Sorry it didn't really solve your problem though. You could buy an SVHS video though.
  13. Faust

Faust Member

Ratings:
    +19
    I am trying my hardest to consign my VCR days to history. If only Sky+ was as reliable as my Panny products then that would be the logical step forward - not to mention making it available to all packages without any monthly subs. Well at least dreams are free.
  14. phelings

phelings New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Faust-you do not need to use AV1.AV2S will accept a composite picture.Simply press the green button on AV2S,and it will change to AV2-able to accept normal vcr input.
    Faust,I told you months ago to get Sky+-no problems while recording then.:laugh:
  15. jem

jem Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I thought there should be a way of changing it from S-Video but looking at the manual online I couldn't see a way.
  16. Faust

Faust Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Phelings you rascal, you've come good again,

Your instruction has worked a treat, as you state press the green button twice and it converts from AV2 Svideo to normal AV2 connection. Now why doesn't the Panasonic manual tell you this? or does it and the obvious has yet to slap my face. Thanks once again, I can now look forward to consigning my VCR to the loft. Re: your suggestion about getting Sky+ the trouble is that I just get so little value from the film channels, hate sports on t.v. and am not prepared to pay an extra £10 a month on top of family pack for nothing. My ideal solution would be to pay an extra £10 for a mirror subscription then get Sky+ on top of family pack, total cost £29.50 - however, Sky would not go for this one, although I did try. Also still not sure about reliability, work colleague got Sky+ last week in November, hard drive failed two days before Christmas - brand new V2 box, this does not inspire me.

:D
  17. jem

jem Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I couldn't see it either - it must be well hidden or I'm going blind too!
  18. Faust

Faust Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Phelings, in a moment of weakness you nearly had me ordering Sky+ the other night. Fortunatley I got my better half to slap my face repeatedly until the madness subsided. However, can anyone answer this one. I read somewhere that Sky were talking about even better things from Sky+ this coming year. Anyone have any idea what this could be? larger hard drive or something on those lines? Another point, why are most people ordering Sky+ from Sky when they are being quoted such long install times? Your local independant can do just as good a job, in fact probably better, and can also offer the same deal as Sky. My local offered me next day install, new V2 box plus installation total cost of £249, which I think is same as Sky if existing customer and not having existing box relocated.
  19. jem

jem Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Most people I've seen ordering recently and having to wait a long time for installation are ordering with the £99 offer.
  20. Dr Downey

Dr Downey Member

Ratings:
    +0
    They were probably talking about the dual recording which has jsut been released.

:blush:

Doc
  21. Dr Downey

Dr Downey Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The delay on install of SKY + is worth the wait to save £150. Mine will be installed in Feb.

5 guys here have ordered and all installs will happen on the same day, only one of them had a problem using the code, but he called back 20 minutes later, spoke to another operator, and got the deal no problem! :clap:

Doc
  22. steve 111

steve 111 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Jem, I hope you can help. I have set my E60 up exactly as you have suggested and it works perfectly. However as a result of this set up I now have no sound coming from Sky + if I try and use my 5.1 speakers unless I play Sky + through the DVD player and select DVD on my amp rather than V-Aux, which is what I used to use for Sky +.

My concern is by doing this, I am viewing Sky+ in S-Video rather than RGB, as only my AV1 input on my TV is RGB enabled.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  23. jem

jem Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Not quite sure if I'm following you here but I'll try.

You have Sky+ TV out to E60 AV2
    E60 AV1 to TV AV1
    Sky+ S-Video to TV AV2 if it's S-Video capable?

So if you watch Sky+ then you use AV1 on the TV as it's RGB - fine.
    How does Sky+ connect to your amp? I would assume that you would use the optical out from Sky+ to connect to the amp. Then you would watch Sky+ in RGB on AV1 on the TV and listen to the sound via the amp with whatever input corresponds to your optical input from Sky+.

Where/when are you viewing Sky+ in S-Video?
  24. steve 111

steve 111 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Jem, sorry for the confusion. I am set up thus:-

Sky + TV scart to E60 AV2 scart
    E60 AV1 scart to TV AV1 scart
    Sky + VCR scart to TV AV2 scart

I assumed that if the E60 was in standby mode my Sky+ signal would be displayed on AV2, which on my TV is not RGB. I always thought if you went scart to scart on a non-RGB input it was the same as S-Video, but I may be mistaken.

The Sky + is connected to the amp via an optical out and then converted to co-ax to go into the coax in on my amp. I have had to do this because the E60 is also optical out and I only have one optical input on my amp.
  25. jem

jem Member

Ratings:
    +7
    This is OK but will only give you a composite picture. As you have Sky+ you would be better using the S-Video socket on Sky+ to connect to your TV. You can do this in two ways.
    1. S-Video to AV2 provided it is capable of accepting an S-Video signal. Sometimes to achieve an S-Video input you have to change the EXT Settings, sometimes it's a button press on your remote to toggle between composite and S-Video input. You would need to check your manual.
    2. S-Video to S-Video socket on the TV.

Either of these two options will give a better quality picture but are only necessary when you are recording a terrestial channel on the E60. For normal viewing of Sky+ when the E60 is in standby or on but not recording, use AV1 on your TV. The RGB signal from Sky+ passes through the E60 from AV2 to AV1 and then onto AV1 on your TV. Just make sure that if the E60 is on but not recording, that you have the E60 on input AV2.

However when you are recording from a terrestial channel, the RGB signal will not pass through the E60. Then you should select AV2 on your TV ( or whatever your S-Video socket is ) if you want to watch Sky+ whilst recording.

As your amp is only providing the sound, select whatever the input via optical/coax is called.

No it normally just gives a composite signal. It is possible to have S-Video out from a scart socket to S-Video in on a scart socket - some DVD players have this. However the scart sockets on Sky+ only output RGB on the TV scart and composite video on the VCR socket. S-Video output is on a separate S-Video socket but this does at least mean that the box outputs both RGB and S-Video at the same time which is quite unusual.
  26. steve 111

steve 111 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Jem, Many thanks for this you have cleared upa lot of confusion in my mind as to how the set up you posted works. I guess what I wasn't getting my head around was the fact that I can now use AV1 RGB for both Sky+ and DVD Playback.

Under my old set up the DVD was going straight into AV2 receiving what I thought was an S-Video signal but I now know to be a composite one.

What this doesn't clear up in my mind is why I can't get 5.1 sound from Sky+ unless I select DVD as the input source on my amp. Surely the sound transfer should go straight from Sky+ to Amp and not via the DVD unit?
  27. jem

jem Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I would have thought that the optical input from the E60 would give you sound from that unit ( plus of course Sky on pass through ) and the coax input would give you sound from Sky+ alone. What exactly are you getting?
  28. steve 111

steve 111 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I'm only getting sound on pass through. The direct feed from Sky + to the amp gives me nothing.
  29. jem

jem Member

Ratings:
    +7
    That sounds strange.

I'm not familiar with the Sky+ optical output as I don't use it at the moment. However a look at the manual seems to suggest that you should turn on the Dolby Digital signal in the Sound Settings in System Setup. I would aslo have thought that the optical output would output stereo sound as well though.

I can't help you any further here so if this doesn't work perhaps you could ask the question about sound in the Sky+ section of these forums.
  30. steve 111

steve 111 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I agree it is strange, unless the box that converts from optical to coax is faulty. Thanks for all your help anyway, much appreciated.