1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic DVD players region free hack - Part 2

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Player Multiregion Hacks' started by Bald Monkey, Sep 28, 2011.

1. montymaverick

montymaverick Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, after reading their FAQ more closely, it seems that it does what it says on the tin: i officially upgraded & lost the enhancements.

My hope is to pm them and see what they say.
  2. Viking61

Viking61 Active Member

Ratings:
    +701
    You should still be entitled to an upgrade for a reduced "price". :) The guys from firmwareinfo is monitoring this forum, so let us hope they take pity in you and help you out.

While you are waiting, could you try installing the old enhanced firmware again? Just to check if it is possible.
  3. shotokan101

shotokan101 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +12,245
    So why not just reapply the firmware ? :confused:

Jim
  4. montymaverick

montymaverick Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, now it is starting to get a bit ridiculous. I registered with my old name & they accepted, and between the time they accepted, I wrote you guys, and I finished writing a pm and wanted to send it, they had deleted me.
  5. Viking61

Viking61 Active Member

Ratings:
    +701
    I just can't understand the mindset of these people. Even if it was your own fault that you lost the regionfree for blu-ray, at least they could have sold you the new version of the enhanced firmware to help you out of your problem of being locked to region A.
  6. montymaverick

montymaverick Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You can't, it's an older version.
  7. montymaverick

montymaverick Member

Ratings:
    +0
    They didn't even give me a chance to communicate. I'm wondering why they let me in in the first place.

The big issue that now they have my mac address, so I can't apply "new."
  8. shotokan101

Ratings:
    +12,245
    How did you pay originally andhow long ago ?

Jim
  9. montymaverick

montymaverick Member

Ratings:
    +0
    A couple of months ago & PayPal.
  10. shotokan101

Ratings:
    +12,245
    I'd still try raising a dispute.... not sure what their time limits are but I think it's just over 40 days on eBay stuff...

Jim
  11. Viking61

Viking61 Active Member

Ratings:
    +701
    Montymaverick, look at the bright side. You now have a player that will stay regionfree for DVD and region A for blu-ray even if you upgrade many times with the official firmware. If you buy a new same player, it will be your region B player. That way you will not need to pay any extra for upgraded versions of the enhanced firmware. Also no need for remote codes to change region and reboot after. :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. martwoutnl

martwoutnl Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Dear members,

I'm interested in the Panasonic DMP-BDT310 player. If I buy this player and request the modified firmware for the first time and update the official firmware later on will I able to use the standard functions (including Internet) of the player and will be able to view dvd's from outside Europe?
  13. Viking61

Viking61 Active Member

Ratings:
    +701
    As I understand it the player will stay regionfree for DVD, but you will lose the regionfree blu-ray and the other special stuff. It will still be able to do all that it could do before you installed the enhanced firmware. Just make sure you are on region B before upgrading with official firmware.
  14. mentm

mentm Active Member

Ratings:
    +397
    Thats the idea, whether they will let you register and purchase it is the problem.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2011
  15. montymaverick

montymaverick Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Martwoutnl & everyone like him (and me, an hour ago),

This questions (and many others) are answered in the firmwareinfo FAQ.

Anyone (else) thinking about posting should read the FAQ COMPLETELY & THOROUGHLY. I just did this and see where i went wrong with my upgrade, although it still doesn't explain their outrageous behavior towards membership & communications.

P.S. martwoutnl, your answer is yes. :)
  16. montymaverick

montymaverick Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey mentm, We've been down this road before, please keep the epithets & rants off the thread.

They don't help anyone, and we're trying to keep it productive here.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2011
  17. idlebrain

idlebrain Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Official Firmware over Modified FW CAN disable all or some of the functionality provided by Modified FW. Each time you upgrade to new official FW, you have to buy the respective Enhanced FW version. Just follow montymaverick's posts you will understand what a pain it is.
    My advice is don't go for this Player, just b'coz there is region Free solution available. You might regret it like many. If you really liked the features of 310 as it is then you are in for a treat.
  18. martwoutnl

martwoutnl Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Are there other solution for making it regionfree for dvd's? I understand that there's a solution with thirdparty-remotes. I got a Logitech Harmony 78s-remote.
  19. shotokan101

Ratings:
    +12,245
  20. Andori

Andori Member

Ratings:
    +204
    I posted a copy of a one for all hack in something like post 3 of this thread. I copied it from the 1st thread, so haven't tried it myself.
  21. Chrno

Chrno Member

Ratings:
    +0
  22. Bald Monkey

Bald Monkey Member

Ratings:
    +1,109
    MOD COMMENT

Please discuss the issues without resorting to childish insults.
    Any more Nazi slurs or stupid insults and I will start handing out infractions.

I do not want to close this thread as it is still of benefit to many members but we can not have a thread dedicated to bashing a certain firmware company.

If you don't like the way this company treats it's customers then stop giving them your money. :facepalm:
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  23. EddieLarkin

EddieLarkin Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have the BDT110 and am interested in making it region free FOR DVD ONLY. It is currently firmware version 1.47. Will updating the normal firmware from Panasonic make it region free for DVDs? I have come to understand from other research that firmware version 1.59 allowed for mutli region playback on DVDs, but this isn't reflected on Panasonic's website. I know I could just update it and see but I don't have the ability at the moment.
  24. richardp2020

richardp2020 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think one of these would be better and allow you to stay up to date with firmware.
  25. videonasty

videonasty Member

Ratings:
    +38
    Does that make the blu-ray multiregion too?
  26. montymaverick

montymaverick Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, guys, I'm back up and running again.

Having spent the last 3 days in panic & bouncing between this forum & firmwareinfo, a few things have become clear to me.

A lot of of negative things that have been said here (not ruling out myself) are misinformed/uninformed/incorrect/reactionist.

My problem was created by me, due to my updating my system officially. It is made clear in the firmwareinfo FAQ what will happen when you do this, and I didn't read this. I had lost my original firmware membership & tried to contact them through a new user name & went into detail about my problem. Had I clearly read the FAQ, I would have realized that this was the wrong thing to do.

I was then booted. When i created a new membership again, and requested the enhanced firmware, but put as comment that i wanted an upgrade, my membership was deleted, but I got a mail from them saying to apply for an upgrade through my original member name per the FAQ in the members section.

This was initially a problem, as I could not find any mail from them, but i finally found my old name, logged in, and went to the FAQ under Enhanced Firmware Support/Firmware updating procedure for project supporters.

To be honest, if I would have a) not updated officially, b) read the updating procedure, c) followed the rules step-by-step. there wouldn't have been a problem.

I won't dispute the fact that firmwareinfo has a zero-tolerance for people who do not follow their rules and do not attempt to explain to people what they have done wrong. But even though I, in desperation, created 3 or more memberships, I was never "banned."

P.S. No, firmwareinfo does not have a gun to my head & haven't paid me to advertise :devil: ...I'm just the kind of person who is contantly reality checking & would rather be honest then right.
  27. TheBlackCat

TheBlackCat New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It is great things worked out for you. But that does not mean that people who had different experiences from you are spreading misinformation.

If it was a simple case of zero-tolerance it would not be as much of a problem. The problem is that a number of the rules are not stated anywhere, you only find out that the rule exists when you get banned for breaking it (and even then they don't tell you the rule you broke, you have to guess). If they were clear about what you should and should not do I don't think people would be complaining as much.

I never broke any rule stated anywhere on their website, I followed all the instructions to the letter, I provided all the information requested and only the information requested, and I was still banned twice ("banned" meaning my account was deleted and my email account blocked).
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  28. montymaverick

montymaverick Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm just speaking from my experience & reading the thread, and I'm not saying that everything here is lies & heresy, and I'm not pointing fingers. But we've already seen people here talking without a clue.

And as far as people complaining without a reason, I've been around long enough to know that once the ball gets rolling, people love to jump on the bandwagon.

I'm definitely not trying to start another problem, just give my own experience, and let everyone know that - for me - it had a happy ending, and was a learning experience.

I would recommend that you either start the process all over again and ensure that you follow the rules to a "t" (as i did), or just forget it, as you (or I or anyone here) is not going to change how firmwareinfo does business, regardless of how loud we cry "injustice," and if this thread just becomes a bitch session, it won't really help anyone.
  29. Andori

Andori Member

Ratings:
    +204
    No it doesn't (it tells you that it is dvd part only and not bluray in the item description)
  30. TheBlackCat

TheBlackCat New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I did follow the rules to a "t", as I have stated already several times. And I am just going to forget it. If they don't want my business, that is their problem. I have a friend with a harmony remote, I am just going to use that.

It is disapopinting though, since I bought this deive specifically to use with their firmware. And I that is why I think it is important that people be made aware of the extent and nature of the problem, so they don't make the same mistake I did. Panasonic devices are great, but no one should buy one on the expectation that they will use it with this firmware, because they cannot count on that.
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2011