Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic double image

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by beduin, Apr 10, 2007.

1. beduin

beduin Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Hello

I am about to buy a 42 plasma and was going to go for the Panasonic 42px70 but while in a shop having a look it was pointed out that the panasonics, in their experience, had a double image (one behind the other) if watched from an angle greater than about 30 degrees, it was most noticeable with light stuff such as subtitles or logos.

Is this a known issue or something to do with their set-up as it has made me a little nervous.

Richard
  2. Matt306

Matt306 Member

Ratings:
    +48
    err I think there's something VERY wrong with their setup to get that! I never noticed any ghosting/double image on any plasma I've viewed. In fact I've only ever seen picture quality degrade like that on very low end LCD's.

I've just had a good look around my 37PE50 and I can see a picture up to about 160 degrees before any picture degredation!
  3. AVmaster

AVmaster Member

Ratings:
    +2
    You can sometimes get a reflection of an image bouncing off the inside of the glass screen, but this only happens when the rest of the screen is black like when you're reading text from a funny angle.
  4. lgans316

lgans316 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +865
    Yes. It's easy to watch double image especially in channels with news tickers from a distance of < 4ft at an angle greater than 140 degrees. This is due to an additional layer of glass and the reflective panel. Nothing can be done about it and you need to refrain from watching it too close from an odd angle.
  5. The Gooner

The Gooner Member

Ratings:
    +44
    It is teh reflection on the glass as said, my 37pe30 does it as well, but only if you try wtching it from about 170degrees, which your not going to do anyway. Norm viewing is not problem and i woldnt worry bout it.
  6. beduin

beduin Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the response.

Reflection in the layers sounds like what I was seeing but it was visible from about 30 degrees from directly in front. It was most visible with bright, light colours on a dark background.

This was only apparent on the Panasonic set, it was not visible on the Pioneer that was next to it.

From all my research I had really come down on the side of the Panny rather than the Pioneer but this is making me wonder. What should I do?
  7. PjotrrrNL

PjotrrrNL Member

Ratings:
    +35
    I have a 42PV70 for a week now and did see what you mean too, in everyday viewing I don't see it anymore.
    Only if you are planning to watch telly at a steep degree angle it could be a little problem sometimes.

The Pioneer has no glass panel in front and does not show this behaviour indeed.
  8. AVmaster

AVmaster Member

Ratings:
    +2
    It's not a problem that you will notice during normal viewing TBH, but the reason why the Panny has the glass panel is as it's tinted black, it reduces reflection from light outside the TV. This reduces the likelyhood of of the sun or any light reflecting off it preventing you from seeing the screen, but also improves the TV's black level performance, which is one of the reasons why the Pioneers have a lower contrast ratio.
  9. beduin

beduin Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks AV master for that explanation, I now understand and I reckon that the benefits will outweigh any downside.

I am once again happy that I am making the right decision and all is well with the world, at least until I start thinking about buying the rest of the home av/ whole house kit.

Thanks again