1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic DMR-EH57 Component "HD" restriction

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Recorders' started by hennep, Feb 3, 2009.

1. hennep

hennep Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,
    I have the following devices :

Samsung 460P (46" LCD monitor without build in tuner and capable to support 720p on the component since its the only HD connector there is on it)
    Panasonic DMR-EH57 DVD recorder 160gb

I bought the DVD recorder due to its capabilities to upscale to 1080p (if i buy a fullhd tv in the future)
    Now the only way to watch tv on my LCD monitor is to use this DVD recorder as a external tuner. I use a Component cable (3 colors RGB) to transmit the signal to my lcd monitor.

As many of you are aware, the component cable are capable in support HD & FullHD formats.

Only in my setup it only supports up to 576p (progressive scan)

See this piece of text i took out of the user manual from the : Panasonic DMR-EH57

HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface)
    HDMI is a next-generation digital interface for consumer electronic
    products. Unlike conventional connections, it transmits
    uncompressed digital video and audio signals on a single cable. This
    unit supports high-definition video output [720p (750p), 1080i
    (1125i), 1080p (1125p)] from HDMI AV OUT terminals. To enjoy
    high-definition video a high definition compatible television is
    required.

Component video output (NTSC 480p/480i, PAL 576p/576i)
    Y: 1.0 Vp-p 75 ≠, termination
    PB: 0.7 Vp-p 75 ≠, termination
    PR: 0.7 Vp-p 75 ≠, termination

Is there a way to bypass this progressive scan limitation on the component connection of my DVD recorder? perhaps via a Firmware update?
  2. Gavtech

Gavtech Administrator

Ratings:
    +4,169
    Absolutely not. This is a fixed limitation. There is no way around it.

You are not missing much. Your TV upscales anyway to its native resolution.

It is largely pointless in source equipment.

Upscaling is significantly over-hyped.
  3. hennep

hennep Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for you quick response!
    BTW I am not trying to improve my TV quality, but I am trying to improve my DVD movie's quality instead!

Now when I want to see a DVD i rather use the DVI via my computer and play the movie then on 720p.. this looks way better then 576p...

And btw there should a way, since the old Xbox also had a limitation to 576p and via a new dvd program it was capable support 720p on DVD movies.
    p.s. see this link for some info about the Enigma stuff for XBOX : http://www.avforums.com/forums/xbox/379548-how-make-xbox-720p.html
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  4. Gavtech

Gavtech Administrator

Ratings:
    +4,169
    TV screens and PC screens cannot be directly compared and cannot be expected to perform the same way.

PC screens have a much finer dot pitch than TV's for one thing. Also I doubt your PC screen will be anything like the size of your TV screen.... so it can be expected to be subjectively better.

There is also underlying quality variables. TV flat screen qualities vary from excremental to just tolerable... and usually if you want a better image it means buying a better TV.

It is more important from the point of view of quality to achieve 1:1 pixel mapping than it is to tweak the source and force artificially created definition.
  5. hennep

hennep Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you lookup the specs of my "TV" it is actually a TV monitor without a build in Tuner, making it a LCD Monitor.
    Also My LCD Monitor support HD-Ready signals. such as 720p. So talking about pixels etc is no use regarding my problem.

A Xbox can be connected via Component on a TV screen and on my LCD screen, and also works on 720p.. only this DVD recorder does not support 720p on the component output.

So the problem remains with the DVD recorder and not with the LCD monitor.
    And then again, I want to run on 720p to increase the quality when I watch DVD's..
  6. Gavtech

Gavtech Administrator

Ratings:
    +4,169
    Well - you cannot....because as you say your DVD recorder does not support it via this connection route. It's a given.

Another way of looking at it is that your TV does not support what is the industry standard now of HDMI ... and really upgrading your TV is the only path available to you to achieve what you want.

Nothing can be done to the DVDR to change this basic specification.
  7. bxd

bxd Member

Ratings:
    +146
    Hi,

You could use a video scaler to 'upscale' 480i/576i to 720p or you could use a hdmi to vga device to do the conversion. However, devices like these will cost you in excess of £100 so it isn't worth the effort when you'd be better off using it towards a new tv.

The best improvement in the picture is probably in converting (de-interlacing) from 576i to 576p rather than anything associated with upscaling to 720p.

Brian