Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic DMR-E55 "Self Check" bug - Help please

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Recorders' started by Aaron_H, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Aaron_H

Aaron_H Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I currently have a Panasonic DMR-E55 which is suffering badly from the "Self Check" bug, whereby whenever it starts up (from standby) it will "Self check" > Restart > Self check (into an endless loop), infact, as I type this message now it won't let me play/eject the disc because it's "Checking".
    It even does this part way through a recording.

We've had this DVD recorder for quite a while now but not used it much, now whenever we want to use it, it won't let us!

I've heard a few things that it may be; a broken voltage regulator, firmware issues, bad media (which I doubt, because we're using the same batch of discs that worked fine before)..

Can anyone clarify how to get it fixed? How much would this cost? (Approx..)
    Or would it be worth buying a new DVD recorder?

I was thinking of jamming an antenna into the RF plug on the back, and hoping that if it was tuned in, it might stop it checking...

Any advice would be much appreciated!
    Kind regards,
    Aaron.
  2. spanners

spanners Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi
    try doing a search for DMR E85H, in particular a post by leslierushforth starting part numbers & where to buy the bits from.
    I had the same problem with my dmr e85h ,order the part and fitted it myself for under £20. (my thanks to leslierushforth):thumbsup:
  3. Nutty663rd

Nutty663rd Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My father had exactly this problem recently with a DMR-E95H DVD recorder I bought him a couple of years ago. When he rang round the trade, he was told that this was a very familiar problem, and one authorised repairer volunteered the information that he averaged one a week of these problems with Panasonic DVD recorders. Three Panasonic authorised repairers, all said the same thing - it is a well-known problem with a component in the power supply unit, the fix is straightforward and costs approximately £65.

My father had his repaired for £65 and is in the process of encouraging Panasonic to pay for that on the basis that this was a fault that should have been rectified in manufacturing and hence the product isn't "Fit for Purpose".

I'm now in the market for a DVD recorder myself (first time I've ever bought something for my Dad I didn't own myself!). I think I'll be looking to pick up one of the Sony RDR-HXD870B or 970s. I'm somewhat dissuaded to go down the Panasonic route now.

James
  4. plonky

plonky Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Had my E55 fixed a few months ago using the same info
  5. ROYOLD

ROYOLD Active Member

Ratings:
    +354
  6. RugbyAl

RugbyAl Member

Ratings:
    +115
    Just repaired my E55 using info from that thread, component STRG6353 bought for £9.89 (+£1.99 P&P) +VAT from www.signalsuk.com. Very easy to get at the PCB on which the component is located. Somebody at my place of work who does a lot of soldering did the swap for me and now it works perfectly. Somewhere in the thread mentioned above is a website for a pictorial guide on how to do it, although it is done on a different Panasonic DVD Recorder lots of it is still relevant. There is also a very useful written guide in there as well. :thumbsup:
  7. Stroppy

Stroppy Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I see on the SignalsUK site it says "STRG6353 Panasonic. DVD IC 5 pin. Also see Paste"

Where are you meant to put the heat-sink paste? On the circuit board or on the component itself?

I have two E55's which are now doing the self-check loop which is driving me mad. The second recorder started doing it about a week after the first!
  8. Gavtech

Gavtech Administrator

Ratings:
    +4,247
    Between the component and its heat sink.

The idea is to give good thermal transmission between the two so that the heat from the component can be dispersed.
  9. Gavtech

Gavtech Administrator

Ratings:
    +4,247
    If this stage has been reached you almost certainly need to replace the regulators.

Using paste will not be enough.
  10. Stroppy

Stroppy Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks, I've just opened up the worst offender and sure enough there is a tell-tale heat mark above this component. Two replacements and a tub of goo on the way!
  11. Gavtech

Gavtech Administrator

Ratings:
    +4,247
    Good luck.

Let us know how you get on with the job.
    All reports are useful to others.
  12. ROYOLD

ROYOLD Active Member

Ratings:
    +354
  13. Stroppy

Stroppy Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Right, I am pleased and annoyed in equal measures!

Having ordered a couple of replacement components, I have retrieved E55 number 1 from upstairs where it was lurking un-used in disgrace, and put it back on top of E55 no. 2 instead of the Sky box, and connected it all up.

With all this juggling around of kit they now both work perfectly! No random switching off, even when using 'chasing-playback', which was a sure-fire way of making it 'crash' and restart. Over the weekend I set both of them recording rubbish and started chasing-playback on both, to stress them into failing, and they both didn't fail once - even the one on the bottom of the stack of two which would get hotter.

So now I have two components and heat-sink compound which are currently not needed. Pleasing but annoying!

All I need now is the replacement remote control to come to replace the worn-out one. I super-glued bits of tin-foil on to the worn rubber contacts, but they keep coming off! ;)
  14. Gavtech

Gavtech Administrator

Ratings:
    +4,247
    I would expect the unit on top to be the one that gets hotter ultimately.

The general cooling process is by a throughput of air, but the unit above over time will infuse the convectional heat from the unit below.
  15. Stroppy

Stroppy Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Good point. I think I'll stick the satellite box back on top of the two DVD recorders to return them to their original configuration and see if that provokes them into failing. Until they start again I won't be able to tell if changing the voltage regulators fixes it or not.

Funny how I now want them to go wrong!
  16. Stroppy

Stroppy Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Yess! They've both suddenly started resetting again, so I'll replace one of the VR's and report back. :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Stroppy

Stroppy Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Ok, I replaced the component on one of my recorders, and so far it is working normally. Then the other recorder started badly playing up - going in a cycle of starting up, blank display, starting up... etc.

Despite my gash soldering skills, and damaging two of the 'through holes' on the circuit board when removing the old VR and having to repair them with a bit of wire, it too now works perfectly!!
  18. ROYOLD

ROYOLD Active Member

Ratings:
    +354
    To avoid damaging the holes in the board the trick is to remove the old regulator first by cutting the pins as close as possible to the board surface. Use a small pair of snips for this. You can then easily remove the remaining bits by using a solder sucker or copper braid and a pair of small long-nose pliers.
  19. chung430

chung430 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    yesterday, my dmr-e55 powered off then entered into self-check mode. once it completed, used the manual to unplug the power cord then re-plugged.
    i inserted my dvd-r which i recorded but did not finalize..
    dmr-e44 was able to read..
    able to use direct navigator. but when i use sub-function button on the remote, "operation prohibit" icn is displayed on the tv..

i use the functon button but there is no "disc setting" menu to select..

so i have 2 questions:
    1. is this a result of a faulty voltage regulator?
    2. if I cannot repair dmr-e55, then will other panasonic dvd recorder accept my dvd-r with recorded contents and enable me to finalize?

i checked with panasonic web site and the voltage regulator is in back-order.. it most likely means that they may not have that part in inventory???

please advise. THXS
  20. Gavtech

Gavtech Administrator

Ratings:
    +4,247
    I don't know the E44 machine. It has never been available in the UK.

Does this unit have a hard disc and if so ... did you have the DVD drive selected before trying to access disc settings?
    1] It may be. But equally it may be the result of simply a poor quality or faulty disc blank.
    If it happens regularly and with a variety of disc types you can conclude it is likely the regulator.

2] Yes ... you can normally finalise a disc from any Panasonic unit in another... subject to the problem you are describing when putting the disc in the E44 - which seems abnormal.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  21. chung430

chung430 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have 7 discs which I have not finalized..
    i tried a couple of them and so would like to beleive that it is not the discs..

and E55 does not come with HDD..

it is good to know that i can use other panasonic dvd recorder to finalize..

too much time investment on 7 dvds...

also the voltage regulator-- is this a common device that I can buy at any electroncs store? STRG6353 or smething like this....?