Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic DMR E55 - Power surge - blown up / popping noise - HELP

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Recorders' started by oldandgrumpy, Dec 30, 2009.

1. oldandgrumpy

oldandgrumpy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi There,

This is my first post and I'm pretty clueless about electronics / components but looking around for clues, stumbled upon this place.

I had a power surge the other day and the there was a loud pop from the Panny E55 and burning smell. The machine instantly shut down. I thought initially the plug fuse had gone, so having replaced that, plugged the machine back in. Another pop.

Now I'm here.

I've opened the machine and it's not the internal fuse. I've now read about the PSU STR G6353 IC (what's a PSU and what's an IC please ?). Well I've seen a photo of one of these and the one in my machine has been blown apart ! The underside is scorched as well. Unfortunately though there is no reference number left to read.

Also there is a capacitor ? ( medium grey ceramic cylinder with different coloured thin stripes) next to the PSU that also shows scorching and damage. It's labeled R003 on the board.

Could anybody tell me the part number of R003 please (or is that it?)

Is there anything else that might need replacing ? I read somewhere about two Zex 's ( ? ) might need replacing as well.

Sorry for my lack of technical knowledge but I'd like to get it working again and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

James
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  2. Fred Smith

Fred Smith Member

Ratings:
    +161
    With all due respect, a new IC, two Zeners and a resistor are not going to fix this. Your lack of knowledge and the fact you replaced the plug fuse and plugged it back in again mean there is a lot more damage than you might think. Bearing in mind the age of the unit and the fact you can pick them up for free on Freegle / Freecycle I would give up now.
  3. JH4

JH4 Member

Ratings:
    +196
    Just to help you a bit:
    PSU is a power supply unit and IC is the integrated circuit PSU you found burnt.
    The R003 is a resistor. If you can see the colours on it or take it out with a soldering iron, a well known high street electronics shop (Ma....) can supply a replacement for a few pennies. The colours give the resistance value. A search for 'resistor colour codes' will tell you what it is.The PSU IC is a different matter though. You might need to do a search for this, and get an electronics expert to replace, if its got a lot of pins attached to it. The final item you refer to is probably a Zenner diode. Once again these are very cheap and easy to come by, as above.
    Hope this helps a bit.
    Good luck !

( I do agree with Fred above, though.. It depends if you like a challenge ! )
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  4. Fred Smith

Fred Smith Member

Ratings:
    +161
    They are not easy to come by they are specific special Zenner's.
  5. ROYOLD

ROYOLD Active Member

Ratings:
    +354
    Tend to agree - and with the damage to the PCB (printed circuit board) it would not be an easy job for an amateur to attempt.

Time to purchase a new machine.