1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic DMR E55 Keeps Switching Off

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Recorders' started by Senrap, Aug 22, 2006.

1. p-jacko

p-jacko Member

Ratings:
    +2
    :hiya:Firast post and it's to say many thanks to all who have contributed to this post. From having an idea that if i googled 'Panasonic DMR E55 problems' as a last resort before binning it, to it working like new again took only a week.
    Ordered new STR-G6353 from Nikko Electronics (www.dalbani.co.uk) £6.33 plus £4.99 Post and packing last Monday, arrived Wednesday. Used guide posted by magicjohn (many thanks!! could not have been clearer). Job done in half hour, it's made my week. Regards Pete
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  2. pnefirst

pnefirst Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Another satisfied customer, thanks to everyone for the info.

Got my daughter's boyfriend to do the soldering, his eyesight and fingers are younger than mne!
  3. wagger1

wagger1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I did as you said and it works great, saved me a couple hundred on a new recorder.
    Thanks again
  4. Didds

Didds Member

Ratings:
    +59
    Many thanks to everyone, for all the info and guides supplied in this thread. It really is a cheap and easy fix to do. Hopefully it'll last a few more years now. :thumbsup:
  5. picturevalve

picturevalve Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. spitfireman

spitfireman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Fixed my E55 too, absolutely brilliant site. Thanks so much for your help. Transfer of information and knowledge is what the Internet is best for. :clap: :clap: :clap:
  7. scorpio

scorpio Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I was directed to this post by fred Smith (thanks, fred) following this posting of mine in DSpy.............

Ok guys, I think I'm pretty well up on sorting out these little bleeders and their foibles but, believe me, this is a really strange one..................

I have a Panny E55 which I use for archiving movies and sports and, for the most part, it does the job extremely well. However, recently, it decided to turn itself off during the DVD-R disc finalisation process.

I tried several times to get it to complete (different source and discs, etc) but to no avail. I also discovered that it had fallen out with the 'formatting' function for DVD-RAM discs.

Again, several attempts latyer and nothing had changed so I was on the point of finding someone who could look it over (Panny or independent as it's out of waranty).

Being a resourceful chap (and with an IT problem solving background) I decided to try a couple of things......

I used the functions menu to add a disc name (A, 1, XXX whatever) and then tried to format a DVD-RAM disc - it worked!!!

I then added a random name to the 'unfinalised' DVD-R disc and then tried again to finalise - it worked again!!!

Now, I've been using discs in this machine for about 3 years and have never bothered to name my discs (I write on them) and have never had a problem using the format or finalise functions.

Why, all of a sudden, should naming a disc become a prerequisite to these two functions and why is there no useful message rather than the machine just diving into standby?????

It seems i have a useable wokaround but find it hard to understand what has changed to make the machine react like this.

Any help for this insane chap would be useful.

I wonder if my 'soft workaround' will continue to work or I will have to replace the Votage regulator as describe here?

So far, my problems have only been manifest at the time of formatting/finalising disks - writing a title seems to kick-start it into action.........

Rgds,
    Scorp
  8. pat19171

pat19171 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    This thread has been very informative and helpful, so I thought I'd add to it, for fellow DMR E55 owners.

Here is a place where you can purchase a NEW laser lens assembly (you get what is pictured, not just the lens itself) for £30 delivered. Mine arrived in less than a week. No adjustments needed, no shorting links needing removing etc. Simple to fit - http://www.impelshop.com/?item=6477

Here is a place where you can purchase NEW FFC's (flat flexible cables) http://www.toby.co.uk/content/catalogue/products.asp?series=AXO-xxxxx - I broke mine (wore the pins off at the end of the cable) that connects the RAM drive to the Digital PCB. They cost £10.33 each delivered from the official Panasonic spares company SemeNedis, I bought 6 for about the same price from www.toby.co.uk, and they are much longer than the one you get from SemeNedis !! - The one you need is AX0-01250 (it's longer than the original one in the DMR E55 but does the job)

If you need any more help with the DMR-E55, drop me a line and I'll endeavour to help.

To make this post complete, here's the link to purchase the pesky STRG6353 IC should you need it to resolve the self-check problem:
    http://www.dalbani.co.uk/catalogue/product_details.php?id=28531

Oh, and if you'd like a good laugh after you've visited the links I posted, check out the 'official' price-list of spares for the DMR-E55:

http://sony.semenedis.com/oemsearch/Viewproducts.php?make=PANASONIC&model=DMRE55EBS

Bit of a difference in prices eh ?!

I had my first DMR E55 for a year, got the self-check problem, took it to an 'authorised repair centre' who informed me it would cost £50 to just look at it, and if they couldn't repair it, they'd knock that £50 off the price of a new one. Surprise surprise they couldn't repair it and showed me their selection of DVD Recorders, and would you believe the cheapest new one in their shop was 4 times what I paid for the DMR-E55 in the first place ! I declined to let them repair it, and with the help of a friend (well he pretty much sorted it!) solved the PSU problem. That was my first DMR-E55, I'm now on my 2nd and the rest of the family have them too :)

And just to round off this lengthy first post of mine, I've uploaded all the literature you'll ever need for the DMR-E55 here:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?0gyboeajqnd
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. juxon

juxon Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think I have the same problem with my E55, now probably 4 or more years old (random resets, especially when recording) so I've just ordered a new STRG6353. I'll let you know whether it does the trick. Either way, I'm really pleased to have found this forum, as I was about to dump the E55 and look for a replacement.

I must say I'm a bit puzzled by the fault: presumably the PSU output voltage dips when the current increases, maybe when the disc spins up or when it's recording, and if it dips low enough it causes the CPU to reset. The board is discoloured around the 6353 so I thought it was overheating and put in a much bigger heatsink but that didn't help. In fact it once reset when the PSU was still cold. I wonder whether long-term overheating has made the reference voltage drift.

My fan hasn't run yet since I've had the top off - can anyone tell me whether it's meant to be thermostatic, or is it just broken? I don't want to bake the new chip!
    Thanks again.

<edit> Nope. The PSU doesn't dip - it shuts right down for a couple of seconds. The switching spikes disappear and the dc rails decay to zero. Maybe the 6353 has internal overcurrent sensing. Has anyone been able to find a datasheet?
  10. Fred Smith

Fred Smith Member

Ratings:
    +160
    The fan runs when the machine is on and stops when in standby. Sounds like yours maybe faulty, test it with a low voltage PSU, 7V DC.
  11. pat19171

pat19171 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
  12. juxon

juxon Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks fred,
    The fan works and so does the circuit that drives it (a dual op-amp and emitter follower). A signal (FAN PWM OUT) from the timer IC7501 controls the fan - looks like it controls speed according to temperature from the pwm in the signal name - so I've left it alone for now. Just have to remember to check that the fan runs when it's warm.

No luck with the 6353 data sheet, but I did find a possibly similar device STR-G6651 at http://www.datasheet4u.com/download.php?id=496819 if anyone is interested. It does have over-current protection but there's also a feature : 'low-power standby mode selected from the secondary circuit'. Wonder if this is being activated when it shouldn't?
  13. juxon

juxon Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Woo hoo hooo! :) Postman brought the STR-G6353 this morning. Popped it in - left my big heatsink in place. Problem solved!!

Thanks guys.
  14. Gavtech

Gavtech Administrator

Ratings:
    +4,176
    The critical current demand that appears to make the fault show up first is that required by the laser in burn mode.... which is probably peak demand for the unit.

Good news on your fix.

Such days are satisfying.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. jayedubya

jayedubya Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Brilliant post everyone! Just found this site today - I am having identical problems with my DMR E65 - which I assume is a pretty similar model to the E55.

I found the link to the component "STRG6353" that I need on dalbani.co.uk.

I know its a long shot, but I wouldn't fit this myself, and wonder if anyone knows somewhere Glasgow/Lanarkshire area that I could take this too?

Thanks in advance

JW
  16. JayCee

JayCee Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,539
    Have sent you a pm.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. davidac

davidac Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I have a similar problem with a DMR-E55. It would not power on at all. I got the data sheet for the voltage regulator, but in my unit it has the marking SK3120J, the data sheet can be found here:

http://www.sanken-ele.co.jp/en/prod/semicon/pdf/si-3120je.pdf

You will need to understand the data sheet to follow the next bit.

The voltage regulator input was above 13v, but the output was very low and jumping about. The on pin voltage was jumping about as well so I disconnected it so the regulator would always be on. The E55 now powers up into self test but resets as soon as the drive makes a noise. I dont have an oscilloscope at hand to see if the regulator voltage is dipping, but I guess it is.

Does any one know if I can use an STRG6353 in place of the SK3120J, or know where I can get a data sheet for the STRG6353 so I can check it is an equivalent? Better still if anyone knows where I can get an SK3120J.

P.S. The marking on the component is SK3120J, but I guess the part number is SI-3120J.
  18. Gavtech

Gavtech Administrator

Ratings:
    +4,176
    The data sheet for the STR6353 has proved oddly elusive. I do not know of anyone having located one... and I have failed to find one so far also.

However, the service manual [ ...there is a link to it somewhere in this thread ] specifies the STR6353 as the component [Page 97 Column 1 - IC001 ] ... so I think it is reasonable to assume you can safely fit one as a replacement.
  19. JayCee

JayCee Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,539
    You can't, you're looking at the wrong IC.
    Note that the power supply has IC001 which is a Switch-Mode regulator and is the troublesome STRG6353.
    It also has IC106 which is a Voltage Regulator and is the SK3120J...this gives no problems and they are not interchangeable.
  20. Gavtech

Gavtech Administrator

Ratings:
    +4,176
    Well spotted JayCee!

I had wondered and discounted the reference to 13 V as this regulator is on the primary side of the SOPS.

Whilst this is at issue, I note that no-one above seems to have had any problems other than the regulator, but I have heard that the trade routinely replace two Zener diodes ZD02 and ZD04 as they apparently cause trouble.
  21. JayCee

JayCee Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,539
    Hi Gavin, I just noticed this post and thought I'd better correct it before anyone following it damaged their psu.

If the problem is only the cutting out and self-checking you only need to replace the STRG6353.
    An overheating STRG eventually goes short-circuit and you have a psu blowup...when that happens the two zeners should also be replaced.
  22. Gavtech

Gavtech Administrator

Ratings:
    +4,176
    Thanks for that Jaycee. That makes sense.

I dare say the routine replacement is to avoid a 'bounce'.

Good to have this issue accounted for.
    I thought it odd that there had been no single report of any other regulator being used until davidac's account. It never occurred to me to check what he was referring to.
    I'm glad you did!
  23. juxon

juxon Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone had problems with RAM discs becoming irreversibly protected as a result of this PSU problem?

Two of my RAM discs (that were in the machine when it failed during a recording) are now protected. When I tried to turn off protection, I got a message 'protection cannot be removed'. Maybe reformatting the discs would help, but there are recordings I don't want to erase on both discs. Other RAM discs (that haven't been in the machine while it was faulty) are still OK.
  24. davidac

davidac Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for pointing out that I was looking at the wrong regulator, I realized just before soldering it in! I have just replaced IC001 and it works.
  25. JayCee

JayCee Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,539
    :smashin:
  26. mazda6s

mazda6s Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,
    I am a very newbie having just registered. But I have been following this thread and have just installed an STRG6353 in my E55 and record and playback are fine. However there is one little niggle that is worrying me and I hope you can help. The cooling fan that is supposed to blow cooling air over the power supply PCB does not work. Is this fan supposed to be on all the time, during recording, during playback, or is there some other interlock (such as a thermistor) that is meant to turn it on? Or has the STRG failed due to a failed fan or failed fan supply?
    I have checked the open circuit voltage at the fan duriing normal operation and that is only 4 VDC. The fan is meant to be fed with 7 VDC at 700mA.

Any suggestions? Anyone have a circuit diagram?

Thanks in advance for your help.

JAM
  27. Gavtech

Gavtech Administrator

Ratings:
    +4,176

There is a link to the Service manual somewhere in this thread.

The Fan control system is sophisticated.
    It is actually controlled by the micro via a driver. The behaviour will no doubt be controlled by a variety of conditions and sensors all under the management of the micro.

You'll find the relevant circuitry on page 53 and 54 on the manual.
  28. Fred Smith

Fred Smith Member

Ratings:
    +160
    Unless your unit has another fault, the fan can be wired up to run 24/7 irrespective of the machine being On or in Standby
  29. mazda6s

mazda6s Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Gavtech and Fred,

I now have two options; One is to pursue the Manual route and check if there is anything obvious and the other is to just use it and see if it faults again.

I'll investigate the Manual first just to be sure.

Thanks a bundle for your help.

JAM
  30. juxon

juxon Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I had same concerns about the fan, and made a mental note to check whether it operates when the unit gets warm. So far, the case hasn't got warm, even when recording for an hour!
    (But my switcher IC does still have the larger-than-standard heatsink fitted.)

Curiously, the label on the fan says 7Vdc, but the datasheet http://www.anglia.com/nmb/datasheets/2406ML.pdf says it's a 12V fan (and it is powered from the 13V rail). I reckon the controller pulse-width modulates the fan power according to temperature. How it knows the temperature, I haven't figured out.