Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic dmp-bdt 110 owners thread

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players' started by golden phoenix, Aug 24, 2011.

1. s_pres

s_pres Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've just experienced the same problem with the Avatar disk. I've got the BDT110 connected to a Yamaha DSP-AX761 receiver then onto my 42GT30 TV.

I thought it might be the age of my amp not handling HDMI 1.4 but it's played two 3D movies through my virgin TiVo box absolutely fine.

Please let me know if you have any joy or if anybody else has any ideas?

Many thanks
  2. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +8,432
    Once I figured out I needed to turn on HDMI Audio, I found that the Optical through my AV amp was for all intents and purposes aligned with the audio through the TV via HDMI. Panasonic G10 Plasma. Both BD player and amp were set at 0 ms delay.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. s_pres

s_pres Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I managed to get mine playing in 3D.

Go to the home menu on the BR player, go to settings, then 3d setting and change the 3D from full HD to 'side by side' go through the test and press ok.

Then I just played the disk and my TV recognised the 3D source and kicked in. Then when I got to the menu on the Avatar disk I selected play in 3D no probs.

Boom
  4. Bander

Bander Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Thank you for your help. I'll ring Panasonic on Monday to see if they might have an answer failing which I'll get a replacement.
  5. Ian Dudley

Ian Dudley Member

Ratings:
    +82
    I think you'll find it's a non HDMI1.4 component in the chain (your amp from the sound of it). This makes no odds to the actual video being sent, but can mess up some of the signalling and handshaking that's going on. I suspect that the Tivo box doing side by side is 'dumb' in this respect, as I've seen it send 3D to a non-3D TV without complaint. But your BD player is 'smart' and wants to talk to the 3D TV to work out how to send the picture. Doing the menu shuffle to side by side gets it to hop past this handshaking stage and once in the movie you can switch back.
  6. Bander

Bander Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I tried another variable. I connected the player via HDMI directly to the TV and then optical out from TV to AVR. Now the sound is behind the video by 1/2 second. The player doesn't allow a negative delay setting so that won't work, and even if it did my TV doesn't pass-through DTS.

Next experiment. HDMI to TV for video and optical to AVR set to bitstream. Now the audio is ahead of the video as before but if I turn on 2D>3d the video falls even further behind the audio.

I just don't understand why Panasonic don't allow adjustment of the optical out for delay settings as it would be a 10s fix for people like me.
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  7. Bander

Bander Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I spoke to Panasonic today who confirmed a likely faulty unit. Also the issue of the DLNA client losing connection to the server after each song seems to confirm the initial diagnosis.
  8. Ciaran76

Ciaran76 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just ordered one of these today, looking forward to trying it out.
  9. andyman2

andyman2 Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Received the "free" star wars blurays today. £35 worth of films by the looks of things, so I feel this player was a real bargin! There is also a £5 off voucher for HMV.
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
  10. Mr Incredible

Ratings:
    +8,432
    Got mine Yesterday!
  11. ScottEvil

ScottEvil Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Sent my form off at the start of the week tho the player was bought before the deadline. How long do the discs take to arrive?
  12. SteveU30

SteveU30 Active Member

Ratings:
    +301
    I've just bought one of these players off the classifieds on here and while I'll mainly be watching Blu's on it I will also want to watch the odd DVD also. Now I've read that's it's not the best at upscaling and that it's probably best to leave that to the TV.

Question is how do I achieve this, does this player have an option on it to let the TV do the upscaling?
  13. KopaneDePooj

KopaneDePooj Member

Ratings:
    +4
    You have to set the output resolution to that of the source (DVD 576p or 480p).
    Player Settings > TV / Device Connection > HDMI Resolution. Then the TV will upscale.

I think though, this won't give you a better picture. For you and others that think the upscaling is not good with this player, I suggest instead upping the "Super Resolution" and "Detail Clarity" in Playback Menu. Press "Display" button > Video > Advanced Settings.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. andyman2

andyman2 Member

Ratings:
    +36
    A couple of weeks for me, sent off the form during 1st week this year. Only trouble is I now feel obliged to buy the other rest of the films on blu!
  15. SteveU30

SteveU30 Active Member

Ratings:
    +301
    Many thanks, I'll give that a go!
  16. Mr Incredible

Ratings:
    +8,432
    A couple of weeks.
  17. Ian Dudley

Ian Dudley Member

Ratings:
    +82
    Discs keep complaining of no local storage, so I took the small 1GB USB card out if my old Sony BD player and put it in the back. Now the message has gone, but every time I start the player it brings up a media browser looking at the images left on there, which I have to exit out of and use the menu to get to the disc. Is there any way to stop this?
  18. rushy7

rushy7 Member

Ratings:
    +8
    anyone know when i-player is due?
  19. darkmast3r

darkmast3r Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Just a bit of info for people using portable usb drives with this player.
    If your inserting the drive and its saying no usb recognised you can use both front and rear usb ports at the same time (using a short extension cable) to power the drive and it will read it ok.
  20. rushy7

rushy7 Member

Ratings:
    +8
    also ive just discovered that both usbs play media files,most reviews say the rear port is for skype or the wireless dongle
  21. Ian Dudley

Ian Dudley Member

Ratings:
    +82
    How do I stop it auto playing the USB when switched on? It's bonkers that it auto plays USB at the expense of actual discs!
  22. KopaneDePooj

KopaneDePooj Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Try using an SD card in the front card slot. Format it in the player and leave it there for BD Live and alike.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  23. Ian Dudley

Ian Dudley Member

Ratings:
    +82
    Rats, I'll have to buy one then. I have loads of USB memory kicking about, but the only SD cards I have are either tiny 32Mb ones, or the whoping big 16GB cards we use for the video camera. Oh well, thanks for the pointer!
  24. Ian Dudley

Ian Dudley Member

Ratings:
    +82
    Thanks for this, my TVs upscaling isn't supposed to be all that great either (Samsung D6900), so I need to get the best I can out of the player. Funny how a lot of kit seems to be coming out with dubious upscaling, seveal years afer the technology was perfected. It's almost like they want us all to buy Blu Ray! :D

Just played my first DVD (Star Wars!) on this, and was immeidately struck by the pixelation on the Fox logo. So I put both these settings to max and there was a noticeable increase in detail. In fact certain bits seemed almost unreal they were so sharp. I was seeing detail I hadn't seen before, it was almost like watching in HD in places (of course watching on a 59" set for the first time helps here as well)

However, I also noticed a lot of false detail appearing. Grain on all the flat surfaces, and lots of dot crawl distortion around edges. e.g. R2 in the desert looked like there was a heat haze around him. Other things have an almost out of focus or 'double vision' effect.

Dialled the detail clarrity back down a couple of notches and its defintiely better. Not a fabulous picture, but for 70's material in SD blown up to a five foot screen, I'm reasonably content. Will play about a bit more though.

This just might have sold me on those Star Wars Blu Rays though, even with George's latest tinkering.
  25. KopaneDePooj

KopaneDePooj Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Glad I could help :)
    Yes it is basically just sharpening, so an artificial increase in resolution and it could make things worse sometimes.
    Don't forget to dial back those settings for blu-ray.
    I just finished watching Lord of The Rings Extended Trilogy on blu-ray and it was gorgeous. Excellent colour and detail with the blu-ray playback on this player.
  26. Ian Dudley

Ian Dudley Member

Ratings:
    +82
    Ahh, it doesn't remember them by media type? That's annoying. I want to have a play about with the DNR settings as well, as the manual suggests they might be on by default which is usually a bad thing. Couldn't do it today though as the kids were getting impatient to watch the movie :)
  27. xit2050

xit2050 Active Member

Ratings:
    +507
    That is the worst thing you can do, it only makes the picture (artificially) worse. It isn't even intended to be used for DVDs, but for on-line content.
    All of these settings have to be at '0' or 'off' to get the best picture.
  28. KopaneDePooj

KopaneDePooj Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I agree, for me it also makes it worse.
    That's why I specified "for those that think the upscaling is not good with this player". For some the DVD look is to soft and they can try and use those settings to make it look "better".
    Now I learned from another post that those settings don't affect the BD image, only online SD content and DVDs, which is a good thing.
  29. Jason Shouler

Jason Shouler Member

Ratings:
    +163
    That's a fascinating comment.

Is that from Panasonic or is that just your own conclusion ?

I watch a lot of old material from the 70's & 80's (via LAN) but can't say I've noticed those settings making much difference.
  30. xit2050

xit2050 Active Member

Ratings:
    +507
    Not 100% sure, but I think from Panasonic... Can't remember where I've read it, maybe on these forums.
    I think that when speaking of on-line content, they mean the channels you get through Viera Connect, not downloaded content played via LAN.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1