1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic Convention 2012: Panasonic VT50 Plasma TV Details

Discussion in 'News' started by Mark Hodgkinson, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Mark Hodgkinson

Mark Hodgkinson Reviewer & News Writer Staff Member

Ratings:
    +3,273
    As we suspected the flagship plasma for this year wont ship in 42 inches this year so if you want the top of the shop, you're going to need to make room for at least 50 inches. The Panasonic VT50 will come in 50, 55 and 65 inch varieties.

[​IMG]

As we saw from CES 2012, the VT50 is now even sleeker than last year and features a silver trim around the outside. The VT is also fitted with a brand new dual core processor to assist with all that Smart TV 'goodness' on-board.

Details below:

- Full HD resolution
    - Full HD 3D (active 3D)
    - Infinite Black Ultra
    - High Contrast Filter Pro
    - Dual Core Pro4 Processor
    - VIERA Connect with Web browser/built-in WiFi
    - 2500Hz FFD (Focused Field Drive)
    - Fast-switching phosphors
    - 2D to 3D conversion
    - 24,576 steps of gradation technology
    - THX in both 2D and 3D modes
    - ISF Calibration Mode with Advanced Calibration
    - Multi-Tasking capability to switch between Apps
    - V-Audio Pro Surround 2.1
    - VIERA Touch Pad Controller
    - Bluetooth
    - DLNA
    - Media Player (can view allows photos and HD video recorded on a SD Memory Card or USB stick)
    - Four HDMI sockets
    - Three USB ports
    - Two pairs of active shutter 3D glasses

We will update with pricing when we have the details and Phil and Steve will of course be uploading videos later.

Attached Files:

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  2. LicensedTaximan

LicensedTaximan Active Member

Ratings:
    +303
    I'm more than happy with my 50" VT30 and fortunately I haven't had any of the reported problems, i.e noticeable fan noise, greeny blotchy patches or the like.... thankfully. In fact i've had no problems at all and hopefully I won't apart from old age, the telly not me. :rolleyes: Having said that it will be interesting to see how the 50 series might improve on the previous series picture wise apart from having a, possibly, more stylish thinner bezel.
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  3. Chauvinnais

Chauvinnais Member

Ratings:
    +66
    Thanks Mark

Is that new processor different to, say, what Marvell as a video processor does or is it a computer based processor as, say, Intel is in this notebook I'm typing on?

Cheers.
  4. Mark Hodgkinson

Mark Hodgkinson Reviewer & News Writer Staff Member

Ratings:
    +3,273
    I'm not sure Mark, perhaps it's for both VP and Smart duties. I'll try and find out:)
  5. Simba

Simba Active Member

Ratings:
    +350
    This is should be a stunner.

Cant wait for AVF to review this.
  6. Orso

Orso Member

Ratings:
    +163
    Afaik the new Panasonic Uniphier chip found in VT and GT50 is a dual-core ARM Cortex @ 1.4 GHz.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  7. Chauvinnais

Chauvinnais Member

Ratings:
    +66
    Thanks Orso for that link but the blurp posted by Mark above says that Panasonic have just changed and are now using Pro4 and my question - the underpinning interest - is the why. If I put my question better it would ask if we are finally witnessing the convergence of television and computer via the bridge of a solitary do all processor and your link shows that if it isn't already done, it's certainly on the cusp. Inevitable really but remarkable if true to someone as old as me. :eek: Perhaps one day the performance of these new chips will be just as important a factor on the forums as the design & build qualities of the panel's technologies' promise of reference performance and, of course, the meeting of members to discuss the various merits and otherwise of the products which is what it's all about.
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  8. moopig

moopig Member

Ratings:
    +1
    No 42" VT50? Why ever not! :(

I was planning to replace my old CRT this summer with a VT50, but as a resident of the UK where we build the smallest homes in Europe (and probably the western world) I just can't fit anything bigger than 42" into the space I have available. I want the best possible display and the VT50 looked like it might have been it. Now I will have to rethink. Maybe no new telly for me this year, then. (And maybe by the time I've made up my mind we'll have affordable OLED panels.)

I'm not very keen on a silver bezel either, although if it's not too shiny it might not have been a show stopper. I want matt black around my screen. I also think silver, unless it's real metal, looks cheap. When I bought my CRT TV black had just gone out of fashion and silver was all the rage. I waited for years (literally) before I found one with decent picture quality and no distracting, glittery stuff around the screen.

Surely I can't be alone in not having room in my lounge for a 50" monster...
  9. djcla

djcla Active Member

Ratings:
    +226
    agree lack of 42" means i will look elesewhere maybe its time to switch to LCD
  10. golden phoenix

golden phoenix Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,279
    they just dont seem to get it right with uk punters do they? however i wouldnt mind a 50 incher!

im sure there on there way , but when are the videos likely to be up and running?
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  11. KRSRider

KRSRider Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Any idea of the pricing yet. I can get a 50" VT30B for £1399. The 5o" VT50 is likely to be muuuuuuch more costly.
  12. golden phoenix

Ratings:
    +1,279
    i want some videos of the panasonic convention 2012 and i want them NOW!!!!

(throws dummy out of pram!):p
  13. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton Editor Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,254
    In 557 minutes you can have it.
  14. NW3

NW3 Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Blimey...let's hope it's good!

I'm sure the video will be.....it's the screens I am worried about!
  15. golden phoenix

Ratings:
    +1,279
    :laugh: I guess I can wait til morning. looking forward to it! again my lack of patience has been exposed!
  16. golden phoenix

Ratings:
    +1,279
    first off thank you to av forums for the coverage at the panasonic convention..secondly.

i have just watched the video and to be honest it is very underwhelming and disappointing(in terms of information from panasonic) other just setting out the range available

the lack of information re: pricing seems ridiculous at such a late stage in the game when the product is reportedly with us next month...i noted that the question wasnt even asked (i suspect because the info, wasnt available , but the viewer is not to know that...

i think av forums should have put the spotlight on this guy..since he is the representative from panny... what about the green tinge? phil asked...answer..there has been an update, but this has not solved the problem for everybody..this should be a black and white response...either it solves things for everybody or nobody..

and why weren't questions asked about the 50 htz issue/blurring on motion...the active shutter glasses flickering (why not more sets of glasses for familys at the time of purchase with the tv)..floating blacks...have these issues been dealt with on the new range? I understand that a review of the screens will answer these questions and phil and steve dont have an infinite amount of time, so im hoping some of these questions were asked and answered off camera by someone and will appear in maybe the podcast... but I think we should have grilled this guy whilst we had the opportunity, so we can at least appreciate that panasonic have picked up on these issues, and tried to deal with them.

issues from the VT30 as opposed to the new VT50 im referring to (just to clarify) as we dont want to inherit old problems in new sets do we?

I believe these issues deserved some coverage as we spent a year talking about them on the forums!

I wouldn't mind a response from either Phil or Steve.

and i would also like to say that Im not having a pop at you guys, or the Avforums team as i know you are always working on behalf of me, the forum and our community...but I guarantee that our community would like to see the answers to the questions I have raised.

im sorry my post may seem negative, but i dont think im alone with my views:mad:
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  17. KRSRider

KRSRider Member

Ratings:
    +0
    OhmeGod!

And there was this HDTV /3DTV virgin just about ready to go for a VT30 thanks to this excellent forum and the contributions of the members.

But................ the three issues mentioned above, Green Tinge/50Htz blurring/and the 3d specs issue seem to be more significant than I had fully appreciated.

Has my penny dropped or is my arithmetic at fault: 2+2 = 5 ?

Is it down to a lottery; maybe you get a good one or maybe you don't?

Is the solution a top of the range 2d? Is there such a beast? The emphasis seems to be on 3d.

Is too much research giving me a head ache?

I need a lay down in a dark room - thank God for the radio!
  18. KRSRider

KRSRider Member

Ratings:
    +0
    LicensedTaximan Hi

Your perfect TV30 : high resale value I would have thought!

I always used to shout "Cab" just like the Hansom days. Nowadays I shout " Driver! Wait for me I've dropped my pass"
  19. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton Editor Staff Member

Ratings:
    +5,254
    First of all this was a European Launch and as such pricing information will vary from market to market. The UK pricing for models available in this country will vary and have not been set yet. This has been the same at every convention we have attended and this year it is no different. We will be in touch with them to update on pricing as soon as it is confirmed for the UK.

Secondly, the samples on display at the convention are pre-production models which are designed to give the attendees an idea of the design of the range, the features that will be available on each model and so on. We NEVER pass judgement on such items other than what can be seen and keeping in mind the fact that nobody has yet seen the final production samples. That is especially true for picture performance and should always be taken with the usual pinch of salt on a convention floor. The TVs looked good but there were some issues with the content they were playing on them and any assessment has to wait until a production sample is available. There are many UK AV websites who had representatives at the conference who are publishing reviews as we speak on what they have seen on the show floor. That is madness and completely misleading the public and you will never see that kind of thing from us - we will wait until we get our hands on the final production versions before we pass any judgement whatsoever on the items for this year. And, as far as we can (and there are only two outlets in the UK that take this point seriously with measurable testing and re-testing of image quality, us and another) we will be fully testing the new models as much as we can for the issues we have seen previously. As the plasmas now have new driving tech all bets are out the window until they can be tested fully and in controlled environments.

With that in mind, nobody knows what the final products will be like and what issues there may be, if any, with the new models. Again, this is a preview event to let everyone know what technology and features will be available for this year, what models are coming and why they have decided to launch certain things. We could ask the questions about 50Hz, floating blacks etc. but we wouldn't get any reply worth talking about, because nobody has those answers until we get the final products to test and assess in ideal conditions and independently from Panasonic.

And coming on to the issues with Green blobs etc. this is an issue that Panasonic are working on and they are trying to find a solution. Fabrice apologised twice to people who are having issues, he has confirmed that they are still looking for solutions and that they want to deal with people who have issues. He made all that very clear and it is now on record in a video. I honestly cannot see what else as an independent source of information, we could say or do with this point. The fact Panasonic are now active on the forums, have apologised in a video and offered to find solutions for those still unhappy, on a one to one basis, seems to make no difference to some peoples opinions. I can't see what else we could have demanded and I thought Fabrice was quite open and frank in his answers and that they want to try and find solutions for those unhappy. As with any issues concerning problems with an item people have bought, it will always be a case of dealing with the retailer or the company directly on a one to one basis. As the issues seems to be affecting sets in different ways and to different degrees that seems like a very logical step to take in dealing with consumers on a one to one basis. And if a dealer is being awkward it is at least well documented that Panasonic want to help. So, you will forgive me for saying that I cannot see anything else, that an editorial manager can say or do, to change things. They have said what they are going to do, apologised and have stated they will find solutions. What else did you want us to say or do that is reasonable and fitting with the issues at hand?

The complaints are coming from a tiny section of their customer base, i.e the enthusiasts who can see the issue, see it as any issue and want it resolved. They could have dismissed the problem because it is a small issue for a small number, but they have stated clearly they want to find a solution. Let's just say that a few years ago, you wouldn't have had anyone from the company speaking about 'issues' on camera, so the fact those comments are now set in stone on a retrievable source, should help people that want it, get a solution. Just don't expect a huge company like Panasonic to move at lightening pace, such as the speed discussions move at on a forum.

The questions everyone has about the new models and their performance and pricing will have to wait until we get the production models in for review. There are a few new items that will affect picture quality and make these new models different from what has gone before, so we would expect to see an improvement in most cases. We just cannot answer those questions right now, but at least everyone can now see what Panasonic have lined up for the year and to me the reduction of plasma models was quite a talking point.
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
  20. golden phoenix

Ratings:
    +1,279
    thank you for your swift response Phil, that is one of the reasons why i love avforums so much...

you have clarified and responded excellently to my post and im grateful Phil. as you have information ..i dont have, but have now shared... i dont think there are many forums about were there is such a dedicated team of people, and so much direct contact with the teams and the members.

i wrote my post as soon as i got up, so maybe a bit of a grump. but with consideration of your comments im happy and satisfied that you have answered my queries.

sometimes i forget..that as soon as you know ..we know..and ive been around on these forums long enough to know better!..so thank you again...patience has never been my strong suit..

can i just ask when (approx) you are likely to have review models available..im really keen on the VT50 in particular...i know you may not have this info available now, but your best guess?

one other positive point about your video, i liked the fact that everything was on one video rather than being split up into different models, it felt more satisfying and we got the whole range in one place.

so thanks again
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  21. Legendary

Legendary Member

Ratings:
    +11
    Have Panasonic manage to make it viewable in 3DTV without those goggles yet.
  22. golden phoenix

Ratings:
    +1,279
    Phil, I forgot to ask..was it mentioned whether or not calman can be used with the VT50? ..im also hoping that the calibration menu's are functioning better than they were with the VT30's as I remember that being an issue...if i buy a VT50 I will certainly being getting it calibrated....
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  23. giogt600

giogt600 Member

Ratings:
    +358
    Hi all
    This is my first time post but i've been an avid reader on this forum and very much value the reviews made on this site. It's the first place i come to if there is a new Tv or other AV gear i'm interested in. It's also a good source of information for any potential problems people are having.....
    Anyway, back to what i wanted to say. Like a lot of people i've been waiting with anticipation for details of the new Panasonic range of televisions.
    Last year i was almost ready to part with cash and go for the Panasonic 42vt30 plasma. Then i start reading about everyones problems and became undecided as to what to do. You see i've never owned a plasma before because what i considered the best around at the time (Pioneer Kuro) started at 50" and this was too big for me. So here i was all set on the vt30 because of all the rave reviews, but the problems people were having put me off.
    I was hoping Panasonic would make a 42vt50 but i know now that won't happen. I very much liked the idea of owning the flagship model in the range.The thing is, i cannot accomodate a 50" tv and now that Panasonic are acknowledging the problem with the vt30 range and are prepaired to work with customers on a one to one basis do i go for a bargain 42vt30 (as little as £900 in some places) or plump for the new 42gt50 which looks to be just as good as last years vt30 range......... Never been very good at making up my mind !!!
    On a different note i had a chance to meet and chat with Steve Withers at the What hifi sound and vision show 2012 on friday just outside the JVC booth. What a thoroughly nice man.....
    Keep up the good work.
    gio
  24. UgoCat

UgoCat New Member

Ratings:
    +0

I agree 100% with you.

I don't want to go for the UT50 serie to have the 42", i want the best. Maybe it's time to change from panasonic.

Really disappointed.

U.