Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic AT6000 owners

Discussion in 'Projectors' started by Jazz Monkey Jr, Oct 30, 2012.

1. allanrickman

allanrickman Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks mate. I think i got the warranty sorted out as Square Trade offer a warranty on it when bought through Ebay, its £200 for 3 years though :S includes accidental damage.
  2. jagdeepp

jagdeepp Active Member

Ratings:
    +547
    Ok peeps.. Whose bought one and what are your views? Screenshots? :devil:
  3. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr Active Member

Ratings:
    +681
    The dealer in Edinburgh has now got some more stock and 5 year warranty. The offer has finished but always worth ringing for best price.
  4. MAX1210

MAX1210 Active Member

Ratings:
    +830
    Here's some - (my photography skills aren't that great) - Screen is a 92" 16:9 Draper Sesame 2.0 Tab Tensioned 92"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My opinion of this projector will be biased - please don't ask me about it or 'where' I got it from.
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
  5. ChrisNightingal

ChrisNightingal Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Max,

Wow those screenshots look amazing and great photos too :)

I hope when I finally get mine installed (tonight hopefully after having had to modify my unicol ceiling mount) that it will look as good. I'm a bit concerned that I will have to use almost maximum zoom because the distance from the screen is based on my old AE300.

I also love the concealed ceiling mount you have installed.

Question for you: Did you calibrate it or is that one of the stock picture modes? If so which picture mode are you running? Also is that in normal or ECO lamp mode?

I tried mine on ECO lamp mode and didn't notice too much loss in brightness and actually I was wondering if the fan was even running as it seemed really quiet (don't know if it gets louder the longer it's on)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. MAX1210

MAX1210 Active Member

Ratings:
    +830
    Yes the Draper Orbiter (Model B) mount is nice, it's a rotating mount, so spins through 180 degrees - the projector has (and will not) be calibrated, it is running in cinema 1 mode with eco mode on & dynamic iris off - with the tint pushed a couple of notches to the warm side (as I like it)

EDIT - Although the back wall is painted a deep red, the back and side walls are painted a magnolia colour (as seen in the pic of the mount) and they do reflect a bit too much light for my liking.

EDIT 2 - FYI: Using a Panasonic DMP-BDT500 & Sky+HD as sources through a Pioneer SC-LX75 AV Amp.

I'll get some pics of sport & nature soon.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  7. MAX1210

MAX1210 Active Member

Ratings:
    +830
    OK, some more pics for you, used a better camera this time on a tripod - hope they're better - photography is not my thing at all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  8. jagdeepp

jagdeepp Active Member

Ratings:
    +547
    Very impressive indeed. No issues with uniformity i take it?
  9. ChrisNightingal

ChrisNightingal Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Well I finally installed mine last night and sat back and watched The Royal Tenenbaums on Criterion Blu-Ray. Wow did it look good. The detail was almost scary in comparison to my old Panasonic AE300. Even on my roller-blind screen-substitute it still looked amazing. Here's hoping when I finally put up my new Elite screen, it will look even better.

Picture wise I ran it in Cinema 1 mode but as I have had to do with almost every projector/TV I have had was adjust the colour down to -9 as it was way too much for me and looks unnatural.

I tried to take pictures but in comparison to Max's photos they aren't worth uploading. His are an excellent guide to how good it looks.

The only niggle I have right now is that there isn't a dedicated Apsect Ratio button on the remote or projector as although I have setup my blu-ray player to be 16:9 I found some films (like The Royal Tenebaums) I needed to set to fill vertically otherwise it looked squashed - I don't know if this is more user-error than the fault of the projector. If I'm missing something please let me know :). However I did assign the aspect ratio menu option to the programmable "Function" button which means I can get to it with a single press (I just have to then use the menu buttons to adjust which means my Pronto will need special set up for this) [Update: By accident I pressed the Aspect Ratio button on my pronto which was for my old Panasonic AE300 - the AT6000 obviously recognises the code as it changed the aspect ratio - so that's a nice find!!)

So Max, have you tried any 3D stuff out yet? I have to get some glasses first but am not sure what would be a good demo. Sadly Avatar as a film just didn't do it for me but I'm tempted to look at Toy Story 3 or the up coming Monster's Inc.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  10. MAX1210

MAX1210 Active Member

Ratings:
    +830
    None that I can see, I'm very impressed with it - definitely a step up from the AT5000 that was previously in this room.

I must point out that I do not own this kit (my set up is in my sig) but it is a system I have access too every day ;)
  11. MAX1210

MAX1210 Active Member

Ratings:
    +830
    Only some short clips off the latest Dolby & DTS demo discs - have to say that I am impressed. I haven't noticed any cross talk (yet!)
  12. welshlewy

welshlewy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I find the crosstalk as bad on this as I did with the 5000, particularly on menu screens and anywhere the image is high contrast black against white. Maybe I need to calibrate the projector better.
  13. Cliff

Cliff Active Member

Ratings:
    +433
    Nice screen shots and with the extra light over the AT5000 it should stand up well against the competition.

As for importing or getting a US model, I would not even consider it!
    Within a month I had to send my 5000 back for a software update (Sky flashes) and it was all done for free including collection and return from Panasonic UK.

Also when it comes to selling, and lets face it, anyone on these forums gets the upgrade itch when a new and better model comes out- the value of a UK unit will be much more than an imported one.
  14. MAX1210

MAX1210 Active Member

Ratings:
    +830
    Promotion just started for purchases between 1st December - 1st February 2013 - 2 Pairs 3D Glasses FREE with PT-AT6000

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  15. ChrisNightingal

ChrisNightingal Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Oh great - so much for pre-ordering and getting mine before December 1st then ;)
  16. welshlewy

welshlewy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah. Same here. Annoying.
  17. MAX1210

MAX1210 Active Member

Ratings:
    +830
    Speak to your dealers and see if they can sort something out
  18. ChrisNightingal

ChrisNightingal Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I spoke to them at the weekend and they said that they will see what they can do. In fairness they did point out the discount I got for pre-ordering so I don't feel so cheated now ;)
  19. Xtrips

Xtrips Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I just got my hands on a 6000 and I am rather surprised. I am planning to calibrate it tonight so I ran a preliminary check for around 40 minutes this afternoon and I must say, if I am not mistaken, that the results are a bit weak.
    The only preset that seems to be worth calibrating is the REC709, so I ran a Pre-calibration with the lamp set to Eco and of course all other gimmicks such as Dynamic Iris set to off. Well, brace yourselves, I got 9fL on screen!
    I then set the lamp to normal mode and boy, that was loud. 33dB at 1 meter!
    I didn't have time to run another pre-cal with the lamp set to normal, but what's the point if I need to set a brand new projector with 7 hours of lamp use in mormal mode lamp already?

I really do hope I am mistaken and would be glad to read your input.

Note: i used a Gain 1.0 screen, white mat.

Thank you
  20. krlock3

krlock3 Member

Ratings:
    +26
    Does anyone have a source page at panasonic for that offer? Living in Switzerland i am wondering if panasonic are doing something similar out here.
  21. potshot

potshot Member

Ratings:
    +125
    I have nothing against panasonic projectors but when I was looking for a PJ last year I auditioned the pana and the JVC side by side and on blacks the JVC won hands down, the pictures on quality were very close. The JVC natural contrast and not dynamic contrast, JVC no hunting iris. I would say view the JVC as well.
  22. ChrisNightingal

ChrisNightingal Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I must admit that I have no idea even how to calibrate the projector. I remember in the old days having a disc called Video Essentials but don't know if there is a better way of doing it now.

Any suggestions?
  23. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,718
    For comparison I calibrated my X35 last night with about 15 hours on the lamp. I'm at a long throw set up so minimum zoom (equals least brightness). I'm getting 14fL but this is at minimum iris and low lamp on a 1.5 gain screen, so this would be 9fL on a 1.0 gain screen. The brightness could be considerably increased by opening the iris on the X35, so this is a minimum calibrated brightness figure.

I forget to measure how much difference opening the iris to full means to fL but I'll try to remember next time I switch it on, but there is plenty in hand. For a shorter throw set up with more zoom applied the brightness would increase further.

In other words, don't believe the advert figures if you are interested in an accurate figure. ;)
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  24. dspa1

dspa1 Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Anyone found a link for this offer yet?

Thx.
  25. MAX1210

MAX1210 Active Member

Ratings:
    +830
    You don't redeem online with this offer, the dealer you buy from will give you the glasses in the shop

edit - providing of course, they are an authorised AT6000 dealer with the correct POS displayed in-store as per my picture above.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  26. keyser

keyser Member

Ratings:
    +1
    About to get my 6000 next week. Don't have the budget for calibration equipment and no calibrators in my country. Can everyone that has calibrated please post their settings?
    I think I´ll end up using REC709 for movies and maybe a tuned toned down Dynamic for video games and sports and possibly 3D movies. How does that sound?
  27. welshlewy

welshlewy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Is everyone happy with their projector, as I think mine already has a dust blob. I had a lot of problems with dust blobs with my 5000 too
  28. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr Active Member

Ratings:
    +681
    I would only use dynamic if you need the extra brightness during the day. You should stick to rec709 and cinema if the room isn't too bright.
  29. vader100

vader100 Active Member

Ratings:
    +440
    Joining the 6000 club next saturday. Sevenoaks installing the projector, 92" screen in addition to new Monitor Audio RXFX rears and Radius HD90 heights.

Any ideas how to make six days go really quickly?:devil:
  30. echosat

echosat Member

Ratings:
    +62
    Fall asleep for along as possible lol
    Echo
    • Thanks Thanks x 1