Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic 2011 fluctuating brightness thread

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Insanity202, Aug 3, 2011.

1. HaRd2BeAr

HaRd2BeAr Active Member

Ratings:
    +691
    Wrong thread

Not here to lynch Panasonic for other issues.

BTW good work Insanity202 mate :smashin:

Aaron
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  2. HaRd2BeAr

HaRd2BeAr Active Member

Ratings:
    +691
    Haven't heard of anyone saying the blacks turn to grey (correct me if im wrong:rolleyes:)

We are talking about fluctuating Brightness not floating blacks.
  3. discover

discover Member

Ratings:
    +76
    So how noticeable is this brightness fluctuation? Is it very noticeable?
    I'm kinda picky with PQ. Is it there with every source?
    I'll mainly be watching 2D 1080/24p blurays, is this set going to be an issue? I need to know because I'm now 50/50 whether I should go for the 55VT30.
    I've made a big mistake haven't I? I've just sold my KRP500 for £1900, the plan was to replace it with the VT and now regret this move and feel like a complete tool!
    What should I doo help!! Can't even think straight!
  4. tele1962

tele1962 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,055
    Go for the VT mate you really will not be dissapointed.:smashin:

No the FBr is not there all the time in fact i have not seen it all day on my GT and just finished watching POTC Dead Mans Chest and it did not do it once.
  5. gaz2810i

gaz2810i Member

Ratings:
    +246
    I'm actually a little concerned about the lack of movement from Panny on the FBr front. My new set is due to be calibrated in a month or so and it would seriously irritate me if they decided to release the EEPROM flash update reported in America over here. Problem is if i was to wait they many never do the flash and I'll be stuck with an un-calibrated FBr ridden plasma.
  6. stephentw

stephentw Member

Ratings:
    +66
    I don't agree with telling someone they won't be dissapointed. Yes the VT is a fantastic panel but only when it's working as it should. Saying that it's not "in your face" also isn't true. From my experience it depends entirely on the set and on how easily you can see the problem. My set is considerably worse than a friends and they're identical sets. I can see fbr's on his too though and he can't so much but he can on mine. So it's a perception thing plus its varying from set to set.

Now if I knew what I now know about these sets I DEFINITELY wouldn't have bought one. If I was still in the pondering stage I would wait to find out if/when the fix comes out and see if it actually works before buying the set and if it's not fixed I would wait til about this time next year before attempting to buy one of the new sets too so it gives time for any problems like this to rear their heads.

You can audition the set all you like in shops but without knowing what material to use to show the problem the audition is useless because as you've experienced with POTC it doesn't show on everything and it's likely an audition will make you think "wow" because the picture is great. I auditioned mine and saw no fbr but instantly saw it at home.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2011
  7. airmyx

airmyx Member

Ratings:
    +49
    I'd say if you are going from a 500 to a VT for highly critical 2D use - there is a good chance you 'will' be disappointed.

With 3D and all the other bells & whistles - it starts to look more tempting but because of silly little imperfections like FBr I bet after a while you will end up resenting it.

On the plus side - nice job for getting almost £250 more than the current AVF classifieds market value for your KRP!
  8. tele1962

Ratings:
    +2,055
    While i agree with some of what you are saying but what does the OP do i am saying yes it is a problem but until he sees it for himself how much of a problem is up to him. He has already said he has sold his Pioneer so i am saying give the VT a go and if he isn't happy get an exchange or refund.

I am not happy with the situation but the pro's far out-way the cons on my GT, however i will continue to push for a fix and i hope one does materialise.
  9. stephentw

stephentw Member

Ratings:
    +66
    Yes it is up to him how much of a problem it is but I don't think it's fair to say yes spend upwards of £2000 on something knowing that there is a very annoying problem with it. It is the best set on the market at the moment but it does have this irritating problem. For me if FBR is fixed the set is perfect for me so could be the same for others too.

Bumtious might be our man on the fix front, he was looking at things with a Panasonic engineer and Gaz was it? Wonder if theres any update on that. He was looking at various issues with them I believe and sending feedback.
  10. martpu

martpu New Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I think you can only recommend buying a VT30 on an individual basis. Personally, I wouldn't based on the buzzing on my two sets which has completely ruined my enjoyment but others I'm sure are loving theirs.

Any potential buyer should read as much of these VT30 threads as poss and decide for themselves whether they wanna take the chance. One thing these forums have taught me is to never buy a new TV for at least a good 5-6 months down the line. Hopefully any issues will have been resolved and the TV should be a good deal cheaper too.
  11. Rotor1999

Rotor1999 Member

Ratings:
    +18
    Just spotted this thread, so here's my info:

TX-P50VT30B shipped with 1.520 f/w already factory installed (took delivery of the set on Tuesday 2nd August).

No production date sticker visible through the vent holes on the back of the set.

Very prominent FBrs on the usual HD source material (Social Network, Hereafter, Fight Club etc).
    Far more instances showing in Normal and Dynamic mode, as can be expected, but still a not inconsiderable amount also showing in Cinema and THX modes.

Had two 55" VT30B sets before settling on the 50" (sent them both back due to the dreaded buzzing sound) and they were both on f/w 1.518 with minimal FBrs (if any at all!!)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. tele1962

Ratings:
    +2,055
    Thats why i said try it first and if you ain't happy get a refund or exchange.
  13. cbcdesign

cbcdesign Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Unless a set is purchased on line where the 7 day return policy exists it may be more difficult to return a set to a retailer. Comet has a 28 day return policy but I had to fight VERY hard to get a defective ST31B replaced. What chance does a customer stand if the retailer digs their heels in because Panasonic UK claim that FBr is normal?

I would be VERY wary of recommending ANY 2011 ST, GT or VT Panasonic Plasma until they acknowledge the problem is actually a "defect" rather than a "feature".

As for the issue at hand, my ST31B was horrendous frankly with FBr that was so bad it drove me mad! I upgraded to 1213 and FBr was still there. If there was any improvement at all and that is debatable, it was limited to a speedier response when adjusting the brightness perhaps which made it less annoying. Perhaps I was getting used to it, determined as I was to get rid of my ST31B which was defective.

I now have a GT30 which I installed today, pre-loaded with software version1213 and so far, nothing like the sortof brightness shifting I saw on my ST31 has cropped up. I may have experienced it a couple of times today but if so it was so subtle, I cannot be sure.

The point is, there must be a solution to FBr and it would appear that Panasonic may have found it and are now producing sets without the issue. Assuming this is so, it means they have corrected something that they themselves consider undesirable, either because of complaints or because they have replicated the issue in house. You don't correct a feature, you do correct a fault!

That could be considered an in-house acceptance of an undesirable trait, not a feature as previously claimed. That gives those of us with FBr good reason to make noise about the issue and expect some sort of corrective action.
  14. Insanity202

Insanity202 Active Member

Ratings:
    +4,196
    Will add all 3 onto the main age, even minimal FBr's will go into the with FBr section. ;)

On another note about the watchdog complaining personally I wouldnt bother. :eek:

Yes thats right I wouldnt bother at all UNTIL YOU CALL Panasonic YOURSELFS!
    Why? I hear you ask, well what would you put into the email to watchdog?
    'I have read online that someone somewhere claims that Panasonic wont do anything about this issue'. Sound good? No.
    The guy who tried with Panasonic can and I urge him if he's reading this to contact Watchdog, because he has delt with Panasonic firsthand. He will have a case number or names with who he dealt with.

Once you have done as he has contact watchdog!!

So guys, dolls bit of both I urge you to pick up the phone on Monday and call
    0844 844 3852.
    Get a response post it here, and let watchdog know too. Dont back down gang we need to get there attention.
    On Facebook? Then post on there group section (you have to like there page before you can post) it can be found here
    Panasonic UK - Discussions | Facebook
    On the left there is a discussion section in that its like a mini forum.

So come on dont expect others to do the hard work as things just wont happen, out US friends kicked up a fuss, started a facebook group, called panasonic and more and they have the fix.

Do the same and best of luck.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. scatterbug

scatterbug Member

Ratings:
    +155
    But haven't new owners with the latest firmware pre-installed also reported FBr? Is it possible the only definitive solution is a hardware change? Perhaps the best existing owners can hope for is a software solution that reduces (but not eliminates) FBr?
  16. Insanity202

Ratings:
    +4,196
    Those in the US who had the EEPROM flash update have reported no FBrs. ;)
  17. stanleyntl

stanleyntl Member

Ratings:
    +44
    Avforums and HDTVtest both reported minor occurrences of FBRs.
    So how can Panasonic UK not be aware of the issue?:mad:
    David Mackenzie even produced a nice graph of the luma fluctuations
    see VT30 50" review : HDTVtest

Panasonic's own marketing points to reviews on these sites.

You could email Ripoffbritain@bbc.co.uk. Another prog that investigates consumer woes.
    Or you could email the MD of Panasonic UK : Keith Evans - keith.evans@eu.panasonic.com.

When I auditioned GT30 vs VT30, watching Wimbledon in HD, I could see luma fluctuations when up close to the GT30 on the grass court : quite unstable. On the VT30 (admittedly 42") the grass looked much more stable.
    Without having definite sample material, it would be easy to think these sets are OK.

It could be a matter of individual tolerance to this design quirk too. I could still see posterisation with motion : i.e. 50hz bug when IFC was off. Perhaps worse on the GT30 than VT30.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. scatterbug

scatterbug Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Everyone, without exception, has reported that? If so, it does hold out hope.
  19. stephentw

stephentw Member

Ratings:
    +66
    Ok I checked the MD5 of the UK 1520 update and it's the same as the Spain one. So what the hell, I installed it.

What do you know, it fixed FBR's on my set. It hasn't eradicated them entirely but it's near enough. I can spot them on the hereafter clip. I can't see any at all on the apprentice and that was the main place I could see them. The other test I used to be able to use, I have a Humax HD PVR. If I pull up the EPG its very dark. If I then pull up the program info its a white box and previously this would make the dark background fluctuate all over the place. Just been trying it over and over again and the black background is rock solid, never moves even slightly.

I haven't checked every other little place I've seen them but I used to see them quite often no matter what I watched on HD TV so I'll keep watching as normal and see how it goes.

Not sure whats going on with those who bought new TV's with preinstalled 1520 saying it's not working but on my TV it has worked.
  20. Insanity202

Ratings:
    +4,196
    Hi mate if you can still see them on the hereafter clip then its not fixed its just calmed them down slightly.
  21. cbcdesign

cbcdesign Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I am not aware of anybody in the UK having purchased a GT30 with 1213 pre-installed who have posted that they are having FBr issues. That does not mean there arn't any or that 1213 solves the issue however. Perhaps if somebody who has purchased a GT30 with 1213 installed has FBr, they will post accordingly?

I have not observed any FBr on my new GT30 which arrived with 1213 pre-installed though.
  22. tele1962

Ratings:
    +2,055
  23. Kitjunky

Kitjunky Member

Ratings:
    +36
    OK figured panny now shipping VT's with 1520 pre installed so what the hell ill go for it.

The results as follows

No harm done to my panel. on the whole picture still very good.
    FBR's still present but changed a little, they now occur sooner after scene change making them for the most part less annoying however occasionally on some dark grey scenes luma seems more unstable due to many fast changes.

Its six of one half a dozen of the other I'm afraid and down to the individual weather this is an actual improvement.
  24. Insanity202

Ratings:
    +4,196
    Hi guys remember to give Panasonic a call tomorrow about this issue. The sooner they get more complaints and are made aware of this issue by a larger group of people the sooner they 'might' do something about it.
    Its not just us who suffer but the retailers too, with this bug not being stated in any point of sale, advertisement, or even the manual then it falls under the sales of goods act eg not as described/not fit for purpose.
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  25. stephentw

stephentw Member

Ratings:
    +66
    That's very true but so far thats the only thing I've seen it on and I don't even own the movie. So far I'd say it's about 95% fixed. I've not seen it on any other content since.

But yes, I still want a proper fix. I can just watch TV without being annoyed now.

Oh and I've been calling Panasonic constantly to no avail. I get varying degrees of helpfulness. 1 guy even got annoyed and shouted at me. Great customer service :rolleyes:
  26. tele1962

Ratings:
    +2,055
    I am going to give it another go tomorrow and see if i can talk to anyone from there technical side of things.;)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  27. Insanity202

Ratings:
    +4,196
    I'm going to talk to the Panasonic service agent at my local store. If we dont answers he might. :smashin:
    Failing that I'll call them too. :thumbsup:

Remember if they say 'we dont no about this issue' just point out on there official UK Panasonic Facebook page they have commented on the issue and there is many links to other sites about it. :lesson:
  28. cbcdesign

cbcdesign Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Shouting at a customer! He should not be allowed anywhere near customers if he cannot remain proffesional. What a complete idiot he is.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  29. panman40

panman40 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,346
    Heyup John,
    Your not expecting Panasonic to admit to a fault surely :eek::laugh::laugh:, Glad to see we are all still moaning about TV's mate, even tho it maybe on different parts of the forum ;):laugh:.:smashin:
  30. Insanity202

Ratings:
    +4,196
    :laugh:
    Yeah mate we are, wouldnt be the same if we wasnt. Though this time Panasonic have a fix for the US and maybe the EU but the UK support team still see it as a none issue. :mad: