1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic 2011 fluctuating brightness thread

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Insanity202, Aug 3, 2011.

1. NeilF

NeilF Member

Ratings:
    +96
    OK, I'll hold fire for the moment then.

Anything you can do to confirm this engineer visit can help with fbr would be most appreciated. ie: Either by asking him, or even better, by visual confirmation.

Good luck with the update!
  2. morfsta

morfsta Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Just report you have green blobs and they will send a local service centre engineer out to update you.
  3. NeilF

NeilF Member

Ratings:
    +96
    That's fine, but if there is a slightly different fix/update for fbr and green blobs? I don't want to report green blobs and risk an update that introduces green blob problems, and doesn't even address the fbr :)
  4. stephentw

stephentw Member

Ratings:
    +60
    Report you have fbr then. I did and got the update? It changes some of the service menu version numbers.
  5. Jacksdad999

Jacksdad999 Active Member

Ratings:
    +346
    Got an update today for the green blobs. Spoke with the company director of the tv repair company. He told me that as far as he is aware there is only one software update. He didn't know that it was designed to address anything other than the green tinge issue however as I said earlier Dominic at Panasonic told me that it was one update for all issues. On a side note, I haven't seen any improvement for the green blobs but not seen any fbrs yet.
  6. NeilF

NeilF Member

Ratings:
    +96
    Thanks for that... I'll report my issues and try and get that update for my fbr's then! Just hope it doesn't introduce and green/magenta issues!
  7. john duff TV

john duff TV Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again I would have got back sooner but the Tv guy didn't have the fix with him when he came the thursday before last but this thursday gone he put the eeprom fix on to my Txp50st30 and its way way better now!
    only the odd brightness flutter from time to time, I'd say it's near enough sorted it out.

So I suggest anyone who has this problem keep on until they send out a guy to fix your plasmas , the more being called out the more it will filter back to Panasonic u.k and perhaps they'll get behind it and take buyers seriously.
    John who had the Duff TV.
  8. NeilF

NeilF Member

Ratings:
    +96
    I'm in contact with Panasonic at the moment to try and get a visit...
  9. hybridtheory

hybridtheory Active Member

Ratings:
    +387
    Hi

Id emailed Panasonic about the "Green Blob Issue" Id got a replay back a few days later to say my TV would have been shipped with the latest software 1.604 to fix the issue. No engineer being sent out to me then. What do I do now?

Thanks

Baz
  10. NeilF

NeilF Member

Ratings:
    +96
    If you think the issue is bad enough, phone them or you retailer saying the TV is faulty...
  11. john duff TV

john duff TV Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello my Tv guy told me if I wasn't to be happy after the fix he'd put on my TV then I'd need to go back to where I bought it rather than Panasonic, So I guess if you went down that route you may well get your repair visit much quicker..
    The repair guy also went on to say that there was problems with all three 3/D models by panny which all needed different fixes..#

He did add also that most all brands have an amount of problems including brightness flutter issues but to lesser degrees.
  12. john duff TV

john duff TV Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello my Tv guy told me if I wasn't to be happy after the fix he'd put on my TV then I'd need to go back to where I bought it rather than Panasonic, So I guess if you went down that route you may well get your repair visit much quicker..
    The repair guy also went on to say that there was problems with all three 3/D models by panny which all needed different fixes..#

He did add also that most all brands have an amount of problems including brightness flutter issues but to lesser degrees
  13. john duff TV

john duff TV Member

Ratings:
    +0
    NeilF /Thank you for pointing out that I'd double posted my message, I first did the message and just posted it then realized I was trying to answer to someones previous message then looked at a way to click inside their message box so it came bellow their actual message, being new to this forum and all thats why I had a second go, So thanks but I was aware I'd posted it twice.
  14. djfonti

djfonti Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Could someone please explain this fluctuating brightness issue? Do you see the brightness get higher/lower as you're watching, or is it a case of when you turn on the tv after a while and notice it has changed? Do people find it improves after time?

Many thanks.
  15. NeilF

NeilF Member

Ratings:
    +96
    A scene would change and within a second the TV would make a visable brightness adjustments. The issue is far far better now, but not entirely gone IMHO.

Here's a good video:-
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. djfonti

djfonti Member

Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks NeilF. I ask because I thought I was experiencing it during last night's football.

I'll keep an eye on it. :smashin:
  17. john duff TV

john duff TV Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello the movie bellow your post may show the problem but I thought I'd come along and just say the easiest way to discribe it is like an old tv on its way out when the tube was going on an old Tv every time a brighter image came up on the screen the brightness would shoot down then when the picture changed again it would go back up for a while,
    I found my plasma to be reacting in this way I.E if a lot of daylight/sky was in the scene the brightness would go down a little then if the picture changed to in doors the brightness would re-ajust this was happening about 7/ 8 times a programe sometimes much more and it could drive you nuts... since the eeprom fix its way better but I'm still noticing it a couple of times here and there each evening.
  18. NeilF

NeilF Member

Ratings:
    +96
    Personally I believe Normal mode is the worst for it.
  19. nictry

nictry Active Member

Ratings:
    +203
    Mine def does this and on multiple programmes, I saw it on CH4, BBC last night, also the video above is a perfect example of how it looks although on my 65VT I don't notice the whole picture change more the area where the brightness itself changes so e.g. Person sitting in front of window I see the brightness flicker in the window area not the whole screen

Not sure about whether to get on to Panasonic yet as the OH says she does not want the grief of taking it off the wall etc. but equally not sure it is acceptable on a 6 week old Tv, need to check some blurays to see if I notice the problem there too and then report back

Oh and mine is in THX and I notice it pretty clearly
  20. john duff TV

john duff TV Member

Ratings:
    +0

If you call someone out you won't have to take your plasma off the wall as its all done by the S/D card slot at the side of the tv so you won't have any problems there.:):)
  21. NeilF

NeilF Member

Ratings:
    +96
    I'm still waiting to hear back from Panasonic from about 2 weeks ago... :rolleyes:
  22. nictry

nictry Active Member

Ratings:
    +203
    Cheers didnt realise that

Is there a number/email for Panasonic that anyone has that actually gets some response from them? If so would be most grateful for the details to save being given the runaround :)
  23. rrfierce

rrfierce Active Member

Ratings:
    +45
    Anyone watching the cup final on BBC 1 HD? I'm getting really noticeable brightness fluctuation on THX mode. Never even noticed it before.
  24. Jacksdad999

Jacksdad999 Active Member

Ratings:
    +346
    I'm watching it on sky and getting the same thing mate but don't think it's the tv. The sun is bright and going behind clouds. The camera will be compensating for the brightness changes and adjusting itself accordingly. Much the same way as automatic aperture adjustment on a digital camera.
  25. NeilF

NeilF Member

Ratings:
    +96
    Best thing to do is change aspect to 4:3 so you have borders left/right. If you get the same, then most likely the signal.

If you're watching on Sky/Freeview so can rewind and watch it again, and you do this in 4:3 and get it, almost definately the signal and not the TV.

If you don't get it in 4:3, then most likely is the TV.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  26. rrfierce

rrfierce Active Member

Ratings:
    +45
    Yep am getting it in 4:3 too.
  27. NeilF

NeilF Member

Ratings:
    +96
    That to me suggests its the source material then (from my humble experience).
  28. rrfierce

rrfierce Active Member

Ratings:
    +45
    I think you are right. I've never seen it before and not seen it since the football has finished.
  29. djfonti

djfonti Member

Ratings:
    +16
    The only time I thought I noticed it was when watching United vs Ajax. Can't say I've seen it on anything else.
  30. nictry

nictry Active Member

Ratings:
    +203
    I have had enough of my FBr now, tried to call Panasonic a few times and just get told no one available to take call so have sent an email stating I want the issue looked at/resolved as laying out £3k+ for a Tv with a problem (whether deemed major or not) is unacceptable

Will have to wait and see what they say if/when they get back to me

Can't believe that there is a 300+ page thread on this issue on the Us forums yet Panasonic UK refuse to officially acknowledge there is a problem:lease: